Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Do you play with vision blur?

(Is there a more appropriate sub-forum for this?)

This is not an ArmA-specific issue, but I'm quite interested in, since it is an ArmA feature and I see a lot of ArmA screenshots with blur.

Do you play with vision blur? (The option that blurs the screen outside of the central focus.)

Sureley it is a matter of personal preference. I for myself absolutely do NOT like it. In my personal opinion the blur, which is meant to increase the 3D-ness or depth, is quite unrealistic and causes some eye-ache.

Sure, the human field of view is sharp in the focus only and the edges indeed blur. But the problem with it is that the human who watches the sharp/blurred picture, can move his eyes to the edge of the picture which then is their sharp focus.

This focus area of the eyes remains unsharp/blurred while the eyes try to sharpen that area which is their center. This causes quite an irritation then, since the focus area remains blurred. This always makes me blink as if there was a water film in my eyes trying to sharpen that area which cannot get sharper due to its nature of being displayed blurred. This also causes some kind of sort of very quick temporal sickness or headachyness.

It's the same with 3D movies. Avatar is the only one I have seen so far. The 3D elements that are meant to reach out of the screen into the audience are displayed blurred. They remain blurred even when your eyes try to focus (and un-blur) them.

As said, this is a personal impression and since vision blur is optional in ArmA, everybody can use it according to his likes.

Nope. Having it turned on combined with using antialiasing results in an uber-ugly white outline of your gun in first person, which is way too distracting for me. Plus, disabling it gives me slightly higher performance. :p

Nope, I have it off (pp on low). This game seriously needs separate options for all the PP effects.

This game seriously needs separate options for all the PP effects.

Yes it does.

I play with everything on high, however it does annoy me now that i have a 16:9 monitor, it didnt bother me on 4:3.

I hate blur. Whether it's Arma 2, Crysis, Shift 2 Unleashed, or any other game that has blurring, I always find that it's better if I just turn it off.

Sometimes I also turn HDR off too because I find that some games overdo it and it gets to be too much. But usually it's just the blur and I have everything else on.

My eyesight is bad enough without turning that on, thanks.

Nope dont play with it, and really dont care for it, and as you said Rogue Trooper its quite unrealistic.

If you look left to right or vice versa or even turn your head real quick your vision dont blur, so Im pondering how and or why its even in the game, what really is the point of it?

I don't mind PP effects, with the exception of bloom and blur. It makes everything look like s***, regardless of the game you're playing, and it's not realistic at all.

I usually play with it set to low. I like the sun effect and motion blur, everything else is meh. Not to mention the lag I get.

Sometimes I also turn HDR off too because I find that some games overdo it and it gets to be too much. But usually it's just the blur and I have everything else on.

Turn off HDR? :D

I play with blur enabled unless the frames are too low (less than 15-20fps).

Turn off HDR? :D

Yeah. Games that make the entire screen go white to simulate your eyes adjusting... I don't like that.

Post processing on very low.

Yep same for me unless I am taking video, then I will put it higher.

heh, i actually kinda like some of the blur effects. being suppressed, and running are good (have you ever had to run through a forest? try and focus on anything but where your foot goes next :p). also the "fatigue" effect when your are really tired is a nice little touch

but the turning blur, i wont say i dont like it, but if it were to disappear i would not mind

i have PP on low i think, just enough that i can see color filters and other PP effects that a mission maker might add it, but with out the depth of field effect (the one that essentially make the whole screen blurry). that i dont like

PP on LOW for me.

I think OP is talking about the Depth of Field (DoF) blur which comes in with NORMAL and above.

I like the idea and it does give extra depth to the scene but its just too much.

I LOVE the distance blur when viewing through a scope on LOW setting. I wish it would look like that without the scope. (without the edge blur of course)

Using High PP. I kind'a like the blur, and I love the SSAO in OA. Also increased the HDR to High, since the doubled HDR-precision compared to Normal gives less fucked up bloom.

Motion blur I'll leave off, though visually I like it, but it prefer the performance boost of leaving it off compliments of Oktane's addon. The other blur and SSAO effects I do leave on when I have FPS to spare.

Yeah. Games that make the entire screen go white to simulate your eyes adjusting... I don't like that.

But, how do you turn it off? Only thing I know of is setAperture to completely override aperture as defined by HDR calculations, but that won't normally be available.

I've tried coming up with my own algorithm to control it via scripts, but it was anything but successful.

PP off for me. I don't think the levels are optimied well enough so it look unrealistic.

Be nice to have fully customizable setttings in that repect, but there are probably more important issues to iron out first.