Sign in to follow this  
granQ

PVP, "head bob cheating" ?

I just noticed these (here I been playing for years and years, never noticed)..

I always use default values but with this its very easy to make a "quake setup" that will be a very big advantage in PVP games.. and the easiest way is for everyone to go the quake way (eliminate the advantage).. but thats boring "solution".

Is there any way you as mission editor could override the users settings?

I just noticed these (here I been playing for years and years, never noticed)..

I always use default values but with this its very easy to make a "quake setup" that will be a very big advantage in PVP games.. and the easiest way is for everyone to go the quake way (eliminate the advantage).. but thats boring "solution".

Is there any way you as mission editor could override the users settings?

This are clientside settings and controlled by the client only. I know of nobody whos uses heabbob at all...it makes seasicknes and headaches...why should someone torture himself just for playing a game.

The whole headbob is a nonsense feature like post processing, good for videos only to simulate a shouldered camera.

Unfortunately it can't be forced by the server, even though I wish it could be. At least some head bobbing (15-25%) is a quite nice value that allows immersion without being crazy and nauseating.

This are clientside settings and controlled by the client only. I know of nobody whos uses heabbob at all...it makes seasicknes and headaches...why should someone torture himself just for playing a game.

The whole headbob is a nonsense feature like post processing, good for videos only to simulate a shouldered camera.

Hi, you know me now :), I use around 75% of head bob and would not stand not using it. :D

_neo_

same here, i use about 60% headbob and about 50% deadzone, great features (deadzone was in TC:E if anyone remembers that game, awesome to use it in there)

Thankfully it can be disabled. Otherwise many people would be unable to play arma for health reasons.

Don't create issues where there are none.

Unfortunately it can't be forced by the server

Fix'd that for you.

Thankfully it can be disabled. Otherwise many people would be unable to play arma for health reasons.

+1

Thought this was a joke thread at first... but I guess it was serious... :rolleyes:

It still made me laugh though.

+1

Thought this was a joke thread at first... but I guess it was serious... :rolleyes:

It still made me laugh though.

guess you never played seriously pvp, isn't that fun to think that the only reason he got you before you got him is that your screen shakes and his is like a tank with a gyro stabilized gun.

QFT

Everyones free to disable/enable it so everyone can get the dis/advantage of (not) using it.

I know of nobody whos uses heabbob at all...it makes seasicknes and headaches...why should someone torture himself just for playing a game.

I guess now you know some that are using it, count me on this list aswell. It is a personal preference, some like it and some don't. And that's why it is good that it can be adjusted in the settings to everyones personal flavour.

guess you never played seriously pvp, isn't that fun to think that the only reason he got you before you got him is that your screen shakes and his is like a tank with a gyro stabilized gun.

What does hinder you to disable it aswell?

Seriously, where would this end. Everyone using high end PC's is cheating against people with low end PC's. Using headtracker could be considered cheating. Using triple monitor setup could be considered cheating. Where do you draw the line? Basically it would mean that in PvP eveyone would have to be forced to play on low settings with 640x480 so all have the same dis/advantage.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Does you viosn really jump that way when you're walking or runnign out here in the so calles "real world".If yes... please consult a physician immediately.

I for myself seem to have a internal natural stabilization for me, my gun and my eyes.

Maybe you need a upgrade?

Sorry but you must be joking!

Beagle, please note and understand, this is not a topic about whats realistic... so read it again and you will understand why it ain't a joke thread.

Looks like you never have, because srs pvp = screen shake srsly off. ;)

I'm at 25% headbob and 5-10% deadzone, but I'm not into PvP at all. Knowing that I'm putting myself at a disadvantage (I'm also using post processing), somehow makes PvP feel weird. In coop, these subtleties doesn't matter much.

as I mentioned I always run on default values.. "the way the game is meant to be played" always works for me. I just noticed the head bob video when checking random youtube video's and I thought it was something that should be able to control. If disabled or enabled head shake, i don't care about.. just that it should be the same for all since it really impacts gameplay.

And what is about texture settings etc.? I guess head bobing is not your only "problem"... :o

ok fuck it, i am sorry I brought this topic up. Clearly its a big joke.. oh my god, you all got so trolled, lol lol..

Returns to a community where issues can be disscused..

I am not saying this is the second biggest problem after AIDS... its just seems like something that would be good to be able to control if you want to make a PvP mission and playing against another squad.

It shall remain clientside because many people suffer from motion sickness, which can quite easily be brought on by the headbobbing in the game, and especially if you combine it with the post process effects. ;)

Never did I think it would be classified as cheating in MP to play with it enable or disabled, though... Surely the advantage or disadvantage the player has as a result is ridiculously minimal, and I'm not speaking from a lack of PvP MP experience either, quite the contrary.

Edited by Zipper5

Never did I think it would be classified as cheating in MP to play with it enable or disabled, though... Surely the advantage or disadvantage the player has as a result is ridiculously minimal, and I'm not speaking from a lack of PvP MP experience either, quite the contrary.

as I said, I haven't claimed its a major thing, i just noticed it on a video and I thought "this would be good to be able to control in pvp games".. and I don't think its ridiculously minimal.

If you play (for whatever reason) with a lot of head movement and have to advance say 200 meters in "sprint" its almost "impossible" to notice any enemy moment in the bushes, while if you do it with zero head movement, you can "lock" your screen and detect movements very easy.. so I think it gives player that play with zero a big advantage over people that play with..

and again, I am not argue for a "setBob = 100".. a "disableHeadBob = true" would be fine as it puts everyone "equal".

It doesn't seem that complicate either, we can change a lot of the things in the game (thats why we love it right?)

but apparently the "motion sick maffia" couldn't discuss this in a manner as good as you.

Edited by granQ
spelling and stuff

The title of this thread may have raised a few defenses.

I don't like the term 'cheating' being thrown around so loosely. Because someone uses a different option setting you say it is 'cheating'... which I guess means if someone is able to use 5000 VD or very high settings, and you can't... they are 'cheating'.

Anyways, no disrespect meant, play how you want. My headbob is at 15% anyways... but who cares.

Some stuff is client side for a reason.

Some of you guys are really too much. He asked if their was a way to overide user settings in mission editor -oh noes!!!! :butbut:

Personally I find zero bob pretty unrealistic (as well as the lame crosshair) and would love it if the rest of my allies/enemies were playing in the same "world" as everyone else.

Of course client settings are there for reason, but theres nothing wrong with a server/mission maker deciding the rules of how he'd like the game to be played -much like the no crosshair eh?

And if 10-15% bob makes you violently ill, you probably shouldnt be playing video games in the first place.

Edited by froggyluv

bmdPNH-xKsg

needs to be played in HD.

I don't see this thread as a joke at all, granQ has a point on what he is saying, and would not be that bad, to be able to control it within the mission.

His point is still valid, although, the thread title does not show the real discussion.

Now, you have to think, in a mission maker point of view, would the change be worth it? Since it can actually cause health problems to some people or simply because a person is used to a different setting.

I would say, give the option, we love to have options to choose from, so it would be a nice thing to add, although, at least me, I would always let the player select his headbob setting.

_neo_

neo, but then if its just the health issue, why not "disableHeadMovmentForAll = true"?

That way I can have 50% head bob and enjoy my coop, while when we change to a capture the flag, the mission makes it "even" for all?

Make a feature request ticket in the CIT. Case closed. ;)