Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz

How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?

• Refuel/Rearm/Repair all in one spot on flight deck
    • Refuel/Rearm between elevators 1&2, Repair in hangar bay
    • Rearm between elevators 1&2, Refuel towards rear of deck, Repair in Hangar bay

Download suspended for a little bit, working on the Nimitz and the F18 and going to redo how they work together cuz the current way is being lame. Sorry Foxhound :P

No just one... I'm using the AV8. Strangely I don't get a tail-hook option either, or an IFOLS... and this is the one that comes with the mission.

Link on the first post is updated. Best I can do. And ryguy, the AV8B works for me too, dunno what you've got going on. Last update for a while unless there's some major breaking issue.

Regarding the F18... whether it works is up in the air right now. My arrestor system works for every other aircraft perfectly fine by my tests. It's no one's fault but that F18 is just littered with tons of outdated/unused scripts. And the landing gear tends to have a mind of its own or just be unreliable. I'm not changing or adding a bunch of stuff to the carrier just so it works with the F18, the F18 has to conform to work like every other plane, and I'll keep trying to help Meatball get it to work.

Edit: Works fine with v1.2 of the hornet, just still has 2 tailhook options. Use the one that DOESN'T say "("F/A-18F")".

Edited by JDog

I hope this wasn't asked already.

I know some of you have been on carriers and how and where things go.

What kind of load ( for lack of a better word) would be typical for a nimitz class?

How many aircraft? ANd what kind?

And using what the community has now, what would a reasonable loadout look like as far as jets?

I've got these so far:

Meatballs superhornet

FDF mod Hornet

UH-60

And possible future F-35

How many of those would be typical,and anything else I missed.

Would a ch53 be on? and attack helicotpers

I also wonder about the deck. In pictures they are always dressed up with many jets on deck. Is it always like that? And what about wartime. Is the deck any different? If enemy ships or aircraft are around.

Thanks

CAW11 (based on USS Nimitz):

2 Squadrons of Super Hornets, 2 squadrons of Hornets, one squadron of Seahawks, one squadron of Prowlers, one of Hawkeyes and one of Greyhounds.

We may not yet have planes for the latter 3.

Edited by Dragon01

I believe I have a Prowler model, the person who I gave it to dropped off the face of the planet. If you want it JDog, just send a PM. :)

I'll post my question in case I lose my connection checking all 24 pages.

But I loaded the carrier with a bunch of hornets and others But I'm noticing that the more I add to the mission the longer the delay for spawning the carrier. The carrier is the first thing on the sqm, but all the aircraft are spawning before the carrier causing them all to explode as the carrier slowly comes in.

I think it's caused by all the stuff on Everon, but I'm sure other non desert places my have the same effect. I tried searching a couple things but it's not turning up results im looking for. So i'll read as many pages here. I'm sure someone may have noticed this before.

Any script to delay the rest of the mission unitl carrier spawns?

Thanks

I miss the sound of the arresting cables with the last version of the carrier. Is it only me or is it generally missing? Catapult sounds are also missing sometimes. After I returned to the Carrier and rearmed the catapult sound was there when I took off again but it never plays on the first launch.

€: RPT says this:

Cannot load sound 'jdg_carrier\sounds\jbdup.ogg'
Cannot load sound 'jdg_carrier\sounds\catlaunch.ogg'
Cannot load sound 'jdg_carrier\sounds\jbddown.ogg'
Cannot load sound 'jdg_carrier\sounds\jbdup.ogg'
Cannot load sound 'jdg_carrier\sounds\trap.ogg'

Edited by Derbysieger

Hi,

I'll post my question in case I lose my connection checking all 24 pages.

But I loaded the carrier with a bunch of hornets and others But I'm noticing that the more I add to the mission the longer the delay for spawning the carrier. The carrier is the first thing on the sqm, but all the aircraft are spawning before the carrier causing them all to explode as the carrier slowly comes in.

I think it's caused by all the stuff on Everon, but I'm sure other non desert places my have the same effect. I tried searching a couple things but it's not turning up results im looking for. So i'll read as many pages here. I'm sure someone may have noticed this before.

Any script to delay the rest of the mission unitl carrier spawns?

Thanks

We (TF86) played an Operation on Namalsk before with a lot of AI's, Waypoints etc. First we tested it with only 2-4 Players it worked fine, but when we stressed the server a bit, about 10 Players and AI, which were spawning on the carrier, fell through the hangar deck on start.

I blamed the old slow server, but now you mentioned the spawning scripts, it really could be the cause.

Maybe the enablesimulation command would be a solution for that problem, and after couple of seconds a trigger sets the enablesimulation back to true?! Any thoughts?

CAW11 (based on USS Nimitz):

2 Squadrons of Super Hornets, 2 squadrons of Hornets, one squadron of Seahawks, one squadron of Prowlers, one of Hawkeyes and one of Greyhounds.

We may not yet have planes for the latter 3.

If Darkhorse donates the Prowlers, I seem to remember that there is an E-2C Hawkeye addon from back in the OFP days. It's still available for download on ofp.info or whatever that link was, but I don't know who the author is/was. Anyways, isn't the Greyhound just the hawkeye without the radar disc?

swissMAG, thanks. Are you saying that if I use enablesimulation, it would allow th aircraft to not fall while in the air while waiting for the carrier to spawn? I've used it on many things before, but i seem to remember trying it on a vehicle and it still moved. I'll try it thoughthanks.

Everon takes a toll on the system, even when walking around on the island. It looks amazing with the settings all the way up, especially the grass. But the only thing that spawns the carrier any quicker is to lower all video qualities.

But yeah, I spawn in the air 18 off the ground, I see pieces of the carrier slowly pop in screen and everything false through the deck until the deck piece appears. Sometimes i end up in the hanger badly wounded, sometime on the deck.But spawning in a Cobra flying above, I can see all the aircraft spawn, then as the slowly start to fall (all this happening within about a second maybe 2) I think the bridge pops in along with some lower compartments then the deck. Explosions everywhere as jets blow up in water or from being severed in a wall of the carrier.

However, using RTE has kind of helped find what some issues might be. When I use it, I get a warning about dryscope something or other, and that is when I know that everything else has loaded. RTE won't work until CBA and everything else has been loaded. The more I have in the mission, the longer the warning takes. The point being, that a few times i tried the carrier mission with a few of the aircraft deleted. When waiting for mission to load "retrieving" comes up, then I get the RTE warning, then a second later the mission loads normal with carrier intact.

So I know it's a problem with loading everything for the mission.

So does anyone know a way to get the carrier to spawn first before anything else comes in, or away to delay?

If doing the enablesimulation works, i can tie it in to a radio call. As soon as learn how to script.

I know this may have been asked multiple times already but are AI pilots (controlling the F-18 from the recently released F-18 mod) able to use the carrier?

Derby, I just checked and when I was changing stuff up, I accidentally left a few old parts of a previous config file in. The sounds are defined as .ogg files but they're actually .wss files. It isn't a breaking issue so I'll change that around and tweak them properly for the next update.

metalcraze, they can use the carrier as best as you're able to script them. Otherwise no I'd imagine they aren't self-aware so they probably can't figure out what the carrier is or how to use it.

Sorry for being such a noob at this stuff, but can somebody please help me!

I have tried time after time to install and use this, yet I can never find this in the game.

Ill take you through my exact steps just to make sure I didn't mess up anything.

1. downloaded

2. created file @jdg_nimitz within steam>steamapps>common>arma 2 operation arrowhead

3. created addons file within above file

4. used 7zip to extract downloaded file into addons file within nimitz file

5. (this may be it) I use six-updater . created a new preset ONLY with the nimitz addon , launched

yet I can still not find this darn thing in the editor, not in blufor(blufor>navy does not appear)

again sorry for being such a noob at this addon stuff, but this carrier just looks so cool

Thanks, Falcon95

@falcon, "jdg_carrier.pbo" is in the "addons" folder which is in your @jdg_nimitz folder, correct? Is it this particular addon that isn't working? Have you downloaded and got others to work (just making sure you know how to load user-made addons)? don't know what to say about the six updater bit.

yes I am extracting into the addons folder within the jdg folder, and yes I have used many addons before, both through sixupdater and straight from armaholic, also is it ok that all the other files you included are within the addons folder? and not just the .pbo? thanks

technically the only ones you need to put into the "addons" folder are:

- jdg_carrier.pbo

- jdg_carrier.pbo.JDG.bisign

the others you can just put in the "@jdg_nimitz" folder you made but i don't know if it matters, so long as the pbos are in "addons".

the ship should be both under Empty > Ship and BLUFOR > US Navy > Ship. Not sure why this addon in particular is giving you trouble since you install/use it the same way as every other addon, which you've had experience with.

Where they're located in the mission editor. Aside from that, the Empty Icon has more colors lol.

I don't think youre mod likes me :( , I finally got it into the game but now it just freezes the game when I try to use it

JDog, can you make the tailhook work when you start from an airbase or spawn airborne? As of now you don't get the option to lower the tailhook in that situation thus making landing on the Nimitz a gamble, especially when there is other stuff on the flightdeck und you can't use the whole length of the ship.

Yea I'll see what I can do. Right now all planes within 10km of the Nimitz at mission start will be able to get/use the action. Was having issues with re-running the check every minute or so and re-adding it to planes. The trick is not adding it to planes that already have it. So I'll make a note to fix that.

Been writing the targeting script for the Sea Sparrow today, and am hopefully getting help with the actual missile guidance when I get to that point. I tried to make something reasonable and smart in terms of prioritizing targets. Obviously going with real-life specs of engagement ranges and stuff might be a little OP if the ship is ever used in a PvP scenario. Right now target priority is based on range and whether the target is incoming or outgoing (incoming targets obviously being the greater threat).

-5km engagement range from carrier

-3km firing range

Priority list:

1) Incoming & Within 3.5km

2) Outgoing & Within 3.5km

3) Inside of 5km

Image to help understand:

sparrow_range.jpg?t=1312419023

Any opinions on ranges and stuff, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by JDog

Today I discovered something about my carrier.

1) Regarding the few people who may not have "Tailhook Down" or "IFLOLS" options... less-than-experienced-modder me never realized CBA was required to use some functions I use in the scripts that determine when those actions appear. So CBA is a requirement for this addon. Otherwise, drop a Functions module in the map with the carrier. CBA Download , if you don't already have it (you should, but juuuuust in case).

Edited by JDog

JDog in your next update please change the way you spawn the carrier from execVM to this:

_run = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\JDG_carrier\scr\init.sqf"; _this call _run;

the current way you have it setup is that your breaking spawn and the carrier spawns after the game starts and not during the briefing which causes issues with JIPs and people with slow internet falling to their death while the carrier spawns, that line solves that issue by doing it before their game starts.

We have encountered this Bug with falling through the deck at MP mission start quite often. If that simple codeline change would fix that, it would be awesome. So Thank you a lot for that fix :)

@JDOG

Not sure if this "little" thing would be worth a Hotfix for you, but we at TF86 would really appreciate one, otherwise we would have to fix a lot of missions with wierd Scripting :o. Anyway, still lovely carrier :)

Best regards

MAG