Sign in to follow this  
BittleRyan

How do you realistically call in close air support?

I have found the 9 line format to call in a medivac, but what about close air support?

What format would you use to call in a air strike, what order would you say it in?

Or the other way around if you were the pilot, how would you respond?

Give an example and format if you could.

Thanks!

You are looking for the All Arms Call For Fire. Google it, or better yet, join the army and get taught it. :)

Not ready to join the army :)

btw: this video show how ridiculous arcadish the whole aircraft operation in ArmA2 is and why airplanes should be banned from MP.

btw: this video show how ridiculous arcadish the whole aircraft operation in ArmA2 is and why airplanes should be banned from MP.

Would you please give it a rest already witi the MP unbalances? Balance is missiom designer choice. If you don't like it dont play it, or make your own missions.

I keep hearing about how unbalance the sides are, the mp is etc for at least 8-9 years. Balance doesnt mean bf style mirroring of all gear. Besides, you have the ability to adjust the gear the way you feel like it, dont you?

Airplanes be banned from MP?

You, sir, are a newguy. Now get out of my internets...

....What format would you use to call in a air strike, what order would you say it in?....

When I bought standalone Arrowhead last year I was able to call it in, but now I can't do it and I can't understand why!

I can only assume that later patches (or combining Arrowhead with AA2 to create Comb Ops) have created a glitch or bug or something.

No kidding, last year I could place an infantryman and an A10 in the Editor, then start the game and select the A10 (key F2), then have my infantryman point at a building or whatever and select "Fire at position" (or similar wording), then have a grandstand view of the A10 diving down to attack it.

But now in Comb Ops 1.08/1.57 I can't find the "Fire at target" order anywhere (sniffle)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

If you ban everything that's unrealistic there wouldn't be much game left.

If planes would be like in that DCS video I would never fly in arma2 again. Lol how long it took to fire that agm. ArmA is still a game and not a full blown simulator.

If planes would be like in that DCS video I would never fly in arma2 again. Lol how long it took to fire that agm. ArmA is still a game and not a full blown simulator.

Depends on what you aim to simulate.

in other news, that A-10 is awesome not needing a pilot to fly.

Please do not quote images/videos

And people say the voices in ArmA are robitic and disjointed :rolleyes:

Edited by W0lle
quoted image/video

And people say the voices in ArmA are robitic and disjointed :rolleyes:

Its still in Beta, but then again, I could say ARMA is too.

in my 2 years of training back at Stewart, i took several classes alongside USAF JTACs on calling for and talking on Immediate Close Air Support. If you want to control the CAS as an infantryman, well your job is pretty simple. you dont talk to the bird - you talk to the JTAC and HE talks to the bird. heres your flow of events -

In Flight Brief- (as soon as the CAS comes on station)

1: JTAC to FO: Anarchy 15 this is Shocker 20, we have 2 A-10s on station, 4 JDAMs, 2 AGM Mavericks and guns, 45 min playtime, callsign Hammer 21 and 22, please advise task and purpose, over

2: FO to JTAC: Shocker 20 this is Anarchy 15 acknowledge all, break, we are conducting hasty OP to provide overwatch for Operation Double Penetration, break, This is type 2 control, and i am NOT a JTAC, over.

3: JTAC to FO: Shocker 20 copies, hammer 21 and 22 standing by and IP vic grid 34-21 out.

Upon FO Contact with enemy assets WORTH the tax payers dollars for CAS:

1: Oh sh(t theres a column of T-72's down here....were in afghanistan where did they get...???

2: FO to JTAC: Shocker 20 this is Anarchy 15, stand by for CAS 9-Line, over.

3: JTAC to FO: Shocker 20 standing by

4: Line 1, 2 and 3 Omit (you dont have clearance to directly control the flight) And then read off lines 4-9, then brief the JTAC on threats in the AO. Theres a link to the CAS 9 line at the end of it all.

5: Hunker down and talk the CAS onto the target using either landmarks, lasers, smoke, w.e you got to make sure that dude in the cockpit sees those T-72s (i.e. slew pod to grid 3421 3423, find the church, move 100m S, that is your target)

Let the JTAC do his job, and watch the show.

hope that helped.

CAS 9-Line/CCA 6-Line

Edited by tswords

in my 2 years of training back at Stewart, i took several classes alongside USAF JTACs on calling for and talking on Immediate Close Air Support. If you want to control the CAS as an infantryman, well your job is pretty simple. you dont talk to the bird - you talk to the JTAC and HE talks to the bird. heres your flow of events -

In Flight Brief- (as soon as the CAS comes on station)

1: JTAC to FO: Anarchy 15 this is Shocker 20, we have 2 A-10s on station, 4 JDAMs, 2 AGM Mavericks and guns, 45 min playtime, callsign Hammer 21 and 22, please advise task and purpose, over

2: FO to JTAC: Shocker 20 this is Anarchy 15 acknowledge all, break, we are conducting hasty OP to provide overwatch for Operation Double Penetration, break, This is type 2 control, and i am NOT a JTAC, over.

3: JTAC to FO: Shocker 20 copies, hammer 21 and 22 standing by and IP vic grid 34-21 out.

Upon FO Contact with enemy assets WORTH the tax payers dollars for CAS:

1: Oh sh(t theres a column of T-72's down here....were in afghanistan where did they get...???

2: FO to JTAC: Shocker 20 this is Anarchy 15, stand by for CAS 9-Line, over.

3: JTAC to FO: Shocker 20 standing by

4: Line 1, 2 and 3 Omit (you dont have clearance to directly control the flight) And then read off lines 4-9, then brief the JTAC on threats in the AO. Theres a link to the CAS 9 line at the end of it all.

5: Hunker down and talk the CAS onto the target using either landmarks, lasers, smoke, w.e you got to make sure that dude in the cockpit sees those T-72s (i.e. slew pod to grid 3421 3423, find the church, move 100m S, that is your target)

Let the JTAC do his job, and watch the show.

hope that helped.

CAS 9-Line/CCA 6-Line

PERSEC.

Do not put your name and unit on a public message board.

Edited by Clavicula_nox4817

duely noted. shall be edited.

thanks for the reminder. :D

EDIT: PID Removed and sig edited, could you do the same to your quote please? thanks in advance

:)

Edited by tswords

Some would say that's a good thing... I can whack off 4-6 AGMS in one run in DCS, can you do that straight away? No... But it's all about learning and practice.

I personally would like the choice. DCS has options to fly in game mode or simulator mode, I always use the latter. In ARMA the only mode you can fly in is "EASY ONE CLICK WONDER NO FLIGHT MODEL" mode which makes it pretty boring.

Yes I'm biased as I fly a lot in DCS, but its not a "bad" thing by any means, just the general gaming market these days don't have the brains or concentration to learn new things, which is why we're left with watered down pish.

The game is not really a simulation of vehicles, rather just about combined arms gameplay. But some things in arma are just too cheesy simple and have a big advantage in multiplayer. The distribution of special weapons in multiplayer is also one part of it, way too many anti tank weapons and everyone can play superheroe with 100.000 $ rockets, best is warfare where you can have a whole squad with such superweapons lol (Gossamer Warfare seems to try to fix it which is nice). The game is still fun but I hope for certain fixes for Multiplayer in the next patches.

DCS is a "hardcore" sim, dont know how plays A-10 but Black Shark was quiete difficult, this is maybe a bit too much for arma.

Edited by oxmox

Call for close air support? I think nobody really knows it unless he used to be the soldier who learned professional training.

A2 is always A2, not VBS2. lol.

I hate to go of topic but saying that air is overpowered in MP reminds me of CoD duscussions about Huey/Chopper Gunner. If you stand there like a tree doing nothing, without ghost, you get raped by it (only in small maps). Same goes for arma. If you drive around slow in the middle of nowhere, without any cover, in an APC or a tank, then of course you get raped by anything that flies around. However, it is very easy to shoot down air in arma. All that Stingers and AA pods. Lets not mention tunguskas and such. Is it realistic? No. Is it overpowered? No.

@ffur VBS2 isnt all that realistic either bud...

and multiplayer will always be fudged. cuz its multiplayer. in my experience the only realistic multiplayer games that actually exist are COOP missions with a close knit clan/squad/clique/group/fireteam/posse/team/whatever you wanna call it, with military experience and knowledgeable mission makers.

in PVP you will ALWAYS have the pub servers that emulate CoD Wannabes, and League games will always try to find a way to win by any legal means necessary.

By all means BIS made a great game. its the modders who made it a sim. For example, in vanilla Arma

you DONT have to punch in the PRF for your laser designator, nor do you have to change the fills in your radios every week, or check their time, or warm up thermals, or get bitched at by NPC NCOs and Officers if your uniform is dirty. The list goes on and on. some things you should be thankful for that this is not a simulation! :D

I hate to go of topic but saying that air is overpowered in MP reminds me of CoD duscussions about Huey/Chopper Gunner. If you stand there like a tree doing nothing, without ghost, you get raped by it (only in small maps). Same goes for arma. If you drive around slow in the middle of nowhere, without any cover, in an APC or a tank, then of course you get raped by anything that flies around. However, it is very easy to shoot down air in arma. All that Stingers and AA pods. Lets not mention tunguskas and such. Is it realistic? No. Is it overpowered? No.
airplanes, mainly A-10, Su-25, AV8B and Su-34 are not overpowerd per se, but simply not done the right way. None of them has 360° Sensors in reality and none of them has a proper damage system like choppers have in game. BIS did circumvent this in single play with A.I. Pilots ejecting as soon as the planes begins to smoke...often after one Sidewinder. Human pilots can fly it with still a half bar on the "heath bar" without any degradation in functionality. This two conditiosn are the main problem, nothing else.

If we could overcome the lack of damage model on planes and 360° sensors on vehicles that don't have such system all would be fine.

I think the "air call" procedure may be different for different versions of AA2 and Arrowhead, so I'd like to test earlier vanilla versions.

I want to keep my Comb Ops installation intact on my drive, so if I install vanillas into separate directories, they won't interfere with my Comb Ops will they?

(Sorry for asking but I'm just a grunt wargamer and not too hot at techy matters)

About that discussion on DCS A-10 - it would be entirely possible to get realistic plane behaviour and results without going into all the detail that DCS does - you could make it not much more complicated than it is now in fact. I don't care all that much about how complicated something is as long as the results are realistic. ArmA2 at the moment is incredibly unrealistic in regards to vehicles.