Sign in to follow this  
celery

Can you tell apart the frame rates?

Can you see a difference between 30 and 60 fps?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Can you see a difference between 30 and 60 fps?

• I see no difference
    • I see a minor difference in smoothness
    • I see a major difference in smoothness

I really can't see a difference between 30 and 60, although 15 is bad.

But getting older probably doesn't help my eyesight either... ;)

On the way down you can easily detect not a stutter, but a kind of fuzziness in the 30fps which is really toned down/smoothened in the 60fps, and after looking quite carefully, on the way up the square blob is much clearer. Really interesting little page there celery :)

i see difference and i voted that i see major difference

15 FPS is tragic

30 FPS when falling i see strobo

60 FPS is smooth

they say human eye see no difference over 25, but why we see difference than ?

I definitely can. I remember playing il2 and my ability to predict the paths of aircraft to make snap cannon shots from high off angles was severely hampered under 40 fps.

I can't, and when I play a game at 30FPS, opposted to a game at 60FPS (Yes, I do have games that run at both.... ) I can't tell the difference either.

I think if they swapped the 2 boxes around and told people the 30fps one was 60fps, people would still say it looked smoother than the 60fps. Just because they know the framerate, just, the placebo effect.

Taking il2 as an example again, in a 30 fps game you see spent casings being jettisoned out of the wings when you fire. They seem to spill out in a cloud. In a 60 fps game you can track the path of each individual shell casing.

Taking il2 as an example again, in a 30 fps game you see spent casings being jettisoned out of the wings when you fire. They seem to spill out in a cloud. In a 60 fps game you can track the path of each individual shell casing.

Are you sure there might not be anything else effecting your view on that, such as the distances or again, the placebo effect of knowing its at 60fps?

I think that should be on wikipedia's list of common misconceptions, but it has been explained so often that this is false that i am not going to explain it again.

Anyway, when i was younger i always played on low end budget PC's so im used to 25FPS as long as its stable, and i still aim for it when playing with settings nowadays. If i end up having a higher FPS its nice but i care more about fluctuating than low FPS.

EDIT: Anyway, i can easily see the difference, when i get home tonight ill upload a piece of software that lets you set the FPS on 2 halves of your screen so you can compare differences more easily.

I think if they swapped the 2 boxes around and told people the 30fps one was 60fps, people would still say it looked smoother than the 60fps. Just because they know the framerate, just, the placebo effect.

That's a common argument that can be easily disproven. It's hard to imagine how someone else could perceive things differently from you, but there are differences.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Here is another comparison in video format (smaller video featuring balls further in the thread). I have a feeling that even Ben can see the difference.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1069482

Edited by Celery

The 30 fps myth is total bollocks. It boggles my mind how any normal person can claim to not see the difference in 30 and 60 fps when I can easily see even the difference between 60 and 100 fps.

Perhaps I'm just not looking hard enough.

But I can't see differences between 60 and 30, at least. Not without sitting there staring at them.

Edit:

I took a closer look at the vids, I can see subtle differences between 30 and 60. But nothing major, at least, nothing that will change how the game looks when playing.

Depends on the scene/game.

Link from first post is (to me) shite for seeing how much fps is in there, if it wasn´t labeled i would´nt have known what is what. In OFP/ArmA on the other hand i´m quite aware of what the game feels like with FPS intervalls from 10 up to 60 and can guesstimate correctly in a +/- 5 FPS range.

Playing a game i don´t know as good, Counterstrike for instance, again i wouldn´t know whetether it runs with 60, 100, or 5000 FPS (the latter would likely give itself away by making the coils on my gfx card sing :D).

The difference is only slightly noticable when the box falls, but during the faster motion they look exactly the same.

Anyway, I don't think 30 FPS is not considered the maximum people can see. It's considered the minimum that is acceptable for people to see smooth movement and not choppy slideshows (or maybe that was 20 FPS, don't really remember). Still, if you acheive 30 FPS it's considered accpetable.

but apart from this show i wanna tell than when monitor has low frashrate i get sick

once upon a time i played Wolf 3D , it worked in VGA mod , 20 Hz or like that

after hour i almost went vomit (i also feel bad when old poor CRT monitor is before my eyes)

some slow rates of movie can make me sick, how about you ?

I see the difference but 30 FPS doesn't annoy me at all, so anything above 25-30 FPS is acceptable.

I've noticed a difference in displays all the way up to at least 120fps. I used to always shoot for a steady 25 in games, but I can notice a big difference in control and smooth animations at 60 fps in games my laptop can render that fast. I will say that when the first displays for 120hz televisions went up in stores, I was blown away by the difference. It's subtle, but its much smoother than 60hz. I've ordered a laptop with a 120hz screen, so hopefully soon I'll be able to say whether the difference is worth it in terms of gaming.

60 FPS is smooth

No i believe the average number is closer to 60, though there are some who say they can see the difference in higher framerates from that.

The deal with 24 frames per second is that it is the MINIMUM frame rate most peoples eyes see as fluent.

Some older Players tend to be more desentitised to fps around the 20s as we were used to this in the 90's when our PCs rarely could run anything new on the game market in full splendor.

We were always happy with 24-35 fps

Im always trying to set my games at 30fps, when I get more I adjust the graphics or view distance for more eyecandy till its 30fps again.

I've noticed a difference in displays all the way up to at least 120fps. I used to always shoot for a steady 25 in games, but I can notice a big difference in control and smooth animations at 60 fps in games my laptop can render that fast. I will say that when the first displays for 120hz televisions went up in stores, I was blown away by the difference. It's subtle, but its much smoother than 60hz. I've ordered a laptop with a 120hz screen, so hopefully soon I'll be able to say whether the difference is worth it in terms of gaming.

I'm afraid that gameplay FPS and display framerate are not the same thing :) if a game can only pump out 30 FPS on the laptop, you'll see 30 FPS. Granted, that 30 FPS will be displayed at 120 Hz :) but that only means each frame is refreshed 4 times before the next frame is rendered.

The deal with 24 frames per second is that it is the MINIMUM frame rate most peoples eyes see as fluent.

Not even close, ill just post this link here because it explains everything pretty well. Only thing i would add to it is that eyes/brain adjust to the framerate. If i make you play a game for 3 hours straight with 15FPS your eyes/brain will eventually adjust to it and it wont feel as choppy. However, if the FPS goes up to 25 for a few seconds it will take a long time to get adjusted to the horribly low 15 again, which is why stability is so important. However if you played at 60 for a few minutes and get drops to 25 it will feel choppy.

Edited by NeMeSiS