Sign in to follow this  
Ripsaw5165

Having a Life and playing Arma 2 Combined Ops...

I am an adult with a career, wife, and son (in college). I've never used drugs but Arma 2 Combined Operations must be kind of similar to needing a hit of smack (heroine), because I find myself craving time to spend with this simulation whenever I can get the chance. Okay, so its probably not anything like a narcotics addiction, but you get the point, even if I wasn't so eloquent in my analogy. And this is only single player I am talking about. I dare not try multiplayer online, the resulting divorce would be too costly...

Get your son hooked. You'll get to spend "quality time" while saving the World. I also usually put sports on the TV in the rec room while playing Arma, which is a "cover" of normalcy for my covert Black Ops. It seems that women consider men who watch televised sports for hours on end "normal". When she asks "Who's winning?" you'll have to think fast.

Edited by MissionCreep

Ask BIS to find a way to make the days longer and time go slower when enjoying their fine games!

setAccTime 0.5;

while {alive player} do {
  sleep 1;
  skipTime -0.00013;
};

That will give you bullet time and the day goes at half speed, amounting to quadruple time per day.

My kids love driving around in the vehicles and flying the aircraft. Too young to be shooting just yet.

Oh yeah, really funny.

Although I'm only a young man but I'm still try hard to recommend this awesome simulation to my younger brother who is only 11 years old, and now, he knows how to create his own simple mission. I think this simulation owns a kinda of mysterious power that most people will find no more game can be more interesing than Arma2 when they were addicted to this game.

This game can also change one's personality greatly, it can make the player become more imagenative, it can also bring us with a sense of leadership.

Btw, now, my younger brother is no longer a guy who enjoys playing bubbles, but a young military fan. lol.

Hehehe this is too funny. IVe been playing this solid for over a year now. Im a middle-aged man who has always dreamed of a military simulator with this scope since I played strategic games on my atari back in the 80s.

My son intro'd me to it - hes not an armaholic like me, but understands my affliction.

We have a running joke -- when we see something funny on TV, or something happens in our day-to-day life, I look at him and ask:

'You know what that makes me feel like doing ?'

Answer: 'Playing Arma'

It appears to be the answer to every question.

I might try to ween myself off it by taking less potent drugs -- Ill start with heroin ...

Good stuff. Its nice to know im not alone.

after awhile the game will get boring, don't worry. i became so bored with it, i started making addons for it. i realized i would rather spend time looking through tutorials and searching forum for answers than continue the laggy experience.

Sounds like a A.A. meeting in here (ArmAholic Anonymous). My name is Mission Maximus and I'm an ArmAholic.

Like dcjzing I'm by all societal norms, too old to be playing sims... 47. But, in my defense I have been a computer geek since I got an Atari (2600) for Christmas gift in 1977 (give or take a year). After that, a Bally Arcade that featured 1.4k of ram programmable in BASIC. Not a typo... 1.4 kilobytes. Then an APF Imagination Machine with 16k ram and BASIC, then a Timex-Sinclair 2068 with I forget how much ram. First actual PC was a 386sx-16... 16mhz 16 bit cpu. As soon as combat sims came out for PC, I was there. A guy named Sid Meier used to offer some more or less crude mil sims almost like board games... only one I can remember was called "decision in the desert" and was about the North African campaign in WWII British vs Germans. I've got quite the legacy in sim playing, but have managed to balance it with the demands of married life, fatherhood, and the gov't job I've been at for 22 yrs.

Enough with nostalgia... why am I on here when I should be playing Arma 2?

Sounds like a A.A. meeting in here (ArmAholic Anonymous). My name is Mission Maximus and I'm an ArmAholic.

This is so sig worthy that im adding it! :D

A.A. has a whole new meaning now going to tell the parents. hahaha :p

I'm too trying to use 25 hours a day scripting/playing arma.

Someday I will find a way.

:p

OMG, It's good to know I'm not the only one

When playing Sunday evenings i usually get Post-Game-Stress-Disorder during the night so i'm very sleepy on Mondays.

Without coffee i'd be dead thats for sure.

Very interesting thread :)

I wonder what the Vatican says about this game and its effects in humans

beings.

Since I started playing this game I dont go to church anymore .

Very interesting thread :)

I wonder what the Vatican says about this game and its effects in humans

beings.

Since I started playing this game I dont go to church anymore .

Wait, do you mean church in the game or church near your home?:p

I feel the same, wish i could just had more time to play, since my kids are too young to understand anything about the game :confused:

My son is 11 and wanted to try and develop his own game. I said, why bother, and tried to get him into the Arma editor. It was like the deaf leading the blind, but we got some enjoyment out of it. Some of you masters would have cringed at the missions we set up!

Anyway, I then bought another copy so that he could have it on his machine in his room, only to find out that his graphics card couldn't cope (something with Shaders). So I had to upgrade my own, and give him my old one. I then ran into power issues with my old card in his desktop. Damned! Only Arma will make you spend so much time and effort, but it's worth it

It certainly is a struggle to balance family life with ARMA.

It may not be as strong as drugs but there certainly is an addiction to the endorphins and adrenalin that come from playing ARMA :coop:

I've been playing since OFP in 2001. Other games I tried just didn't have the staying power ;)

He doesn't play often but my son(5) enjoys exploring and using civilian cars, bikes and boats. He's started learning to fly helicopters.

No use of weapons yet. (Any vehicle with weapons has no ammo)

Picture011.jpg

Edited by EDcase

..I find myself craving time to spend with this simulation whenever I can get the chance...

It's the caveman in our DNA..:)

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

"He either fears his fate too much,

Or his deserts are small,

That puts it not unto the touch

To win or lose it all"

-James Graham - Marquis of Montrose

"In my dreams I hear again the crash of guns, the rattle of musketry, the strange, mournful mutter of the battlefield"- Gen Douglas MacArthur

"I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me"- Archilocus (Greek mercenary) 650 BC

"Battle is the most magnificent competition in which human beings can indulge"- Gen George Patton

"I have a rendezvous with Death at some disputed barricade...

And to my pledged word am true,

I shall not fail that rendezvous"

-Alan Seeger (US poet killed in WW1)

"I have set my life upon a cast, and will stand the hazard of the die"- Shakesp's Richard III at Battle of Bosworth

More- http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/showthread.php?561-Quotes