Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

ToraBora "Sandbox Edition"

thats what i suggested danny boy. A long dirt strip in the middle of nowhere with no outbuildings like the one on Shapur or Ramadi.

Anyway, the latest minor update is uploaded to Armaholic. Hopefully one of the AH admins will publish it to the public.

Thanks for taking the time to get the updated version to Armaholic....can't wait to see your latest work. Thanks again!

Very good performance on this map. I guess Takistan's problem is all those houses.

And it's surprisingly good for vehicles too. People ask for flat maps for tank battles, but all those bumps in the terrain is where it's at.

Thanks for taking the time to get the updated version to Armaholic....can't wait to see your latest work. Thanks again!

As I informed the author on our own forums I am just to busy with work these days around christmas/new year to keep up with the news. The Armaholic mirror will be available as soon as I can find some time (need to post lot more releases as well :( ).

Sorry for the delay.

thats what i suggested danny boy. A long dirt strip in the middle of nowhere with no outbuildings like the one on Shapur or Ramadi.

Yeah, Stagyboy. Like an airstrip made by some drug smugglers. Covered with grass. Dont have to be flat too... a runway which goes uphill would be fun (and woudlnt damage the look of the enviroment). Just some ideas... (there was a movie i have forgot the name, where some Air Force Pilots smuggled stuff with their c130 and landed on some short dirt tracks in africa, i think...):yay:

@Chill

I uploaded ToraBora for my mates of TF86. If you d like, i can share the link here for a limited time until ArmaHolic is up.

@Foxhound tnx for the reply, take ur time... no rush here. Maybe its better to wait just a little, i'm cooking another update (1.2) at the moment, you might aswell throw that out instead. :)

@TF86, im considering to give ya guys a piece at the border somewhere if i'm able to do it fairly easy (wihtin visitor). Going back to my heightmap editor and do the whole process over is a real pain in pick ur fav body part...

Can't u guys just drive the plane of the big mountain and "jump start" it ? :D

Can't u guys just drive the plane of the big mountain and "jump start" it ? :D

Lol i could see that ending in disaster, landing may be a bit on the difficult side aswell

I feel like a airstrip would look very out of place on a map like this. Plus I can't really think of many scenarios where you'd need a large plane landing in the Tora Bora Mountains :P

As I said, just far enough for an A-10 to take off. There was enough flat land on the Aiaktalik borders for us to make our own airbase, and human piloted A-10s came in very handy as air support.

layoutab.jpg

We actually "built" the airbase from an old abandoned Soviet strip over a number of campaign missions. So given a long enough patch of flat, clear land, we can do the rest.

Edited by Daniel

Is this based off the tora bora area?

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

As in using real world data

New update available on the Six updater.

Version 1.2 changelog

* Added 3 towns (total of 6)

* Added keypoints / map location names

Uploading at the moment to ArmaHolic, we'll see when Fox found some time to get it out :)

New update available on the Six updater.

Version 1.2 changelog

* Added 3 towns (total of 6)

* Added keypoints / map location names

Uploading at the moment to ArmaHolic, we'll see when Fox found some time to get it out :)

well good chill. Lookin better everytime.

I feel like a airstrip would look very out of place on a map like this. Plus I can't really think of many scenarios where you'd need a large plane landing in the Tora Bora Mountains :P

you cant think of any need for air support?

jeez guys, just use RUM assets and put planes on station or spawn em on the edge of the map! and whenever this map gets a dirtstrip dont expect something like that could land a jet anyway!

JTD just released some nice air support scripts btw, maybe that would be worth checking out.

Nice map, keep up the good work Cill_xl. might release a simple mission for it...

243 from 260MB.... I'm close to be trying this beautiful Map! Thanks for the Work! Its nice to have a new Map like Takistan but with more open fields! Takistan has, in my opinion, not much open fields to play with! Yah, there are some, but I don't like this Map anyways. This new one could be the one I was waiting for...

Don't understand why most mappers making stupid Jungle maps or something like that^^ I mean, since Arma1 we know no one wants this .. :D

Thanks so far, I will be back with some constructive criticism!

Jarhead

The latest version of the map, 1.2, has now been kindly made available on armaholic by foxhound.

Got it! I thought I was to early and Downloading the older Version but no^^ Got the 1.2... testing now...

Jarhead

EDIT: Well.... I guess I have to thank you chill! This is exactly the Map I was looking for so long! This is just a wonderful Map! Awesome Job, well done!

Jarhead

Edited by LordJarhead

Great work Chill, really, really ***impressive work.

I am looking forward to making some missions with this map but I am still yearning for a map with realistic mountains, caves and paths/trails over and around rock rather than hills with rocks stuck on them.

I feel the BIS maps supplied with OA have not given us the really interesting rocky and rugged regions to the south-east of Afghanistan like Shahi Kot Valley/mountains or Takur Ghar mountains; the OA maps look like hills with rocks simply 'dumped' on them rather than being a crafted scenery moving from wadi to rocky hills to mountains.

Chill, I have a few suggestions if you are thinking of tweaking or making another quality map. The YouTube videos of the recent Medal of Honor shooter help to illustrate the landscape I am trying to describe;

1) nearly all Arma maps suffers from looking like hills with rocks planted on them rather than being realistic rocky mountains with trails and flat sections/recesses to allow for outposts, supply cache, mortar positions etc.

2) the addition of progressive volumes of snow and ice textures and rock as you move higher up the mountains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Rm4ypIgSo&sns=em

3) more compact rock formation to create trails

I am trying to teach myself how to create maps for Arma as I would dearly love to create this sort of scenery and map myself but if another map maker who actually possess experience and skill, unlike me, to do this I would love to see them have a go.

Thank you again chill.

David

This is the perfect terrain for fighting in, lots of cover along with open spaces, the villages are just right, if i were to think of something id like added to this map then maybe a few outpost type huts scattered around, really good work Chill

I really don't have any idea of mapping, but would it be possible to add some ... (don't get me wrong now) snowy areas up on the hills like some small areas around Korengal Valley in Afghanistan? Just a thought... anyways: This Map is really good! As Katipo66 said, its great for fighting over long distance! With ZeusAI its just a nice experience!

Jarhead

the OA maps look like hills with rocks simply 'dumped' on them rather than being a crafted scenery moving from wadi to rocky hills to mountains.

Hit the nail on the head. OA maps look boring.