Sign in to follow this  
Coffeecat

Just got my GTX460...New Game...!

I just installed my new GTX460 1Gig RAM from gigabyte and im totally flashed!

Playing this game is a absolutely new experience. I play everything on very high, expect AA, "only" high. The game is 50% more fun now. I dont have any textures popping up, smooth FPS on those high settings and i enjoy the game like never before. I tought that my E8400 at 3.00Ghz would be a bottleneck, but it isnt. I owned a HD4850 with 512MB RAM before and the change like day and night. I heard that Arma2 is very CPU demanding, it may be, -but i dont even got a Quad Core and the Graphiccard made it alone. Just wanted to share that with you, now i know Arma2 is also VERY GPU demanding, i guess also much memory on the card is very important. It seems like strong Dualcores like the wolfdale are enough if you own a good card:)

what about performance drop when looking at houses (in town for example) , aint it dropping badly?

Great to see your enjoyment's gone up so much. I remember feeling the same when I went from playing ArmA on my old crappy laptop, with a 7600 Go, to my current desktop with a GTX 280. Suddenly, I went from 20 FPS on lowest settings to 70+ FPS on highest. It was, indeed, a totally new game. :D

For the record, I went from this to this. Yeah... It was awesome. :cool:

Edited by Zipper5

@Penonta

Sure you feel very small FPS drops if your in really large towns, but its no problem! The greatest thing is there is ZERO textures popping up! Thats what i hated the most. The game feels so more real now. Im also sure that it helped for LOD switching, there are nearly 0 problems with it so far. GTX460 is a awesome card, can only recommend it. Im happy i dont have to change my DualCore allready. Wolfdale really is a great CPU and its not even OC´d..

watch out for my updated SP mission MountainWarriors soon:)

@Zipper5

well that looks like a big jump;-)

@Penonta

Sure you feel very small FPS drops if your in really large towns, but its no problem! The greatest thing is there is ZERO textures popping up! Thats what i hated the most. The game feels so more real now. Im also sure that it helped for LOD switching, there are nearly 0 problems with it so far. GTX460 is a awesome card, can only recommend it. Im happy i dont have to change my DualCore allready. Wolfdale really is a great CPU and its not even OC´d..

watch out for my updated SP mission MountainWarriors soon:)

@Zipper5

well that looks like a big jump;-)

Which driver version are u using?

what are your system specs and what OS 64 bit or 32 bit are you using? I am thinking about getting an EVGA GTX 460 from my local computer store when I get some money.

I just installed my new GTX460 1Gig RAM from gigabyte and im totally flashed!

Playing this game is a absolutely new experience. I play everything on very high, expect AA, "only" high. The game is 50% more fun now. I dont have any textures popping up, smooth FPS on those high settings and i enjoy the game like never before. I tought that my E8400 at 3.00Ghz would be a bottleneck, but it isnt. I owned a HD4850 with 512MB RAM before and the change like day and night. I heard that Arma2 is very CPU demanding, it may be, -but i dont even got a Quad Core and the Graphiccard made it alone. Just wanted to share that with you, now i know Arma2 is also VERY GPU demanding, i guess also much memory on the card is very important. It seems like strong Dualcores like the wolfdale are enough if you own a good card:)

I have pretty much the same setup as you

Had a Leadtek GF8800GT that died before the Gigabyte GTX460 1GB OC

Game runs great

What are ur ARMA2 video options settings?

Edited by vasmkd

I just bought Win7 64Bit. My Settings ingame:

Resoultion: 1680x1050

Everything very high, expect PostProcessingEffects, which are disabled and AA on normal. Viewdistance 2140. Takistan runs perfect with that settings, Chernarus is definitly more demanding, but still very nice. You can feel that the Game struggles a bit FPS wise cause of the DualCore, but i dont got the money to upgrade everything. Its definitly worth it if you own a E8400. Il get a better cooler and overclock this later, guess i can make 3,6Ghz, which will be also a nice improvement.

My GTX460 was the best money I spent in quite a while, especially as regards Arma2.

I have a dual core E6750 OCed to 3.2GHz, and the only way up from there was a whole new motherboard for an i7. Instead I just replaced my 8800GT with a GTX460 and suddenly it was a whole new game. Yes it's CPU bottlenecked but that just means I can turn all the gfx up to 11 and not get any slowdowns. PP, AA, AF all maxed out, the game looks magic and still runs at 35+ FPS on nearly every island (chernarus and zargabad excepted).

I've heard alot of good things about the GTX 460 Price/Performance Ratio.

I was thinking of going for a 460 for my second build but went 470. :)

580 in my main rig runs OA very nicely! :D

From what i have read a GTX460 1GB is about the max card worth getting with a Dual core which is why i replaced the dying 8800GT with it. Anything above is becoming a bottleneck.

i'm very happy with the card and don't see a need to upgrade my system soon. I can o/c my e8400 to 3.6 safely but don't really need to at this time. I'm running it stock for ARMA2.

I'm just going to wait a year and upgrade to a super computer by then :)

How important is to use Win7 64Bit instead of Win7 32Bit ?

Does it make any difference if I have 6 or 8 gb memory?

I heard that the game cant use more the 2-3 gb memory.

Right now I have GTX 275 will I get a much better performance with the GTX 460?

Edited by Nikiforos

1.Not very

2.I don't think so maybe if you are using a ramdisk

3.Probably not, not so sure about that.

1. 64 Bit would be your choice if you have more than 2GB of RAM. If you have 2 or less use 32bit.

2. It uses are 3GB if you're lucky..

3. You would see a significant increase, but a 275 is still a nice card.

you could consider getting another 275 for SLI :rock:

I think SLI 460 1gb is a great path if you choose to get the 460

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Pardon my ignorance, but I currently have a OC'd GTS 250 made by BFG and after hearing the feedback on the 460 by the blokes here; am seriously considering upgrading to the 460. So, does the 460 offer a significant improvement over the 250? :confused:

Cheers!

Edited by Laqueesha

From what i have read a GTX460 1GB is about the max card worth getting with a Dual core which is why i replaced the dying 8800GT with it. Anything above is becoming a bottleneck.

I'm very happy with the card and don't see a need to upgrade my system soon. I can o/c my e8400 to 3.6 safely but don't really need to at this time. I'm running it stock for ARMA2.

I'm just going to wait a year and upgrade to a super computer by then :)

We have followed the same road my friend. The only difference is that I'm running XP & W7 64Bit with 3 go of ram.

I paid 200€s for my 460gtx (gigabyte 1 go) a couple of months ago, I see the price has dropped to about 160/170 €s, so defiantly a good buy.

Same for my E8400, I really don't feel the need to O'C ate the moment.

We PC gamers have never had it so good, believe you me.

I bought my first real computer in 1991 a 20MHz Intel with 2 mo of ram :eek:

Cost about 700 ffs at the time, oh it came with a Disney pack....

My GTX460 was the best money I spent in quite a while, especially as regards Arma2.

I have a dual core E6750 OCed to 3.2GHz, and the only way up from there was a whole new motherboard for an i7. Instead I just replaced my 8800GT with a GTX460 and suddenly it was a whole new game. Yes it's CPU bottlenecked but that just means I can turn all the gfx up to 11 and not get any slowdowns. PP, AA, AF all maxed out, the game looks magic and still runs at 35+ FPS on nearly every island (chernarus and zargabad excepted).

About the bottlenecked whats that about? Not up to par with the CPU OC but know about the GPU OC, got an E8400 and just now was looking into OC it. Gots an 260GTX and though about jumping up to the new 580 GTX but i see this bottlenecked for the CPU and i dont even have an i7 so would i get my goods out of the 580?

Edited by 1in1class

Well I'm glad I found this thread; my 460 GTX arrives today and it was purchased specifically for Arma! I mean, totally dominating all these other games I have is a nice side benefit, sure, but Arma is the game that really kicks my PC in the butt.

Gots an question on the CPU OC, i see people saying on an E8400 that 3.6GHz could be done. I dont get much on how to get it to 3.6. My OC tool gives MHz and my FSB, 1999.99MHz is what it says i have no clue what that is. For me to have an OC at 3.6 what would i have to do?

For me to have an OC at 3.6 what would i have to do?

It's complicated.

You dont need an OC tool, your 'tool' is the BIOS and your 'test & analysis tool' is your brain. :)

You need to read what to do first, then do it. Tutorial here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=227317

(the tut is for dual cores but the basics are the same. after you understood what you need to do read the other forum posts from quad core users searching for answers. you can learn & OC your CPU in a couple of hours if you're a quick learner)

Be aware that if you're not taking slow steps you could OC your system too much. Its unlikely if you're taking it slowly, but i'm just saying. If you fry your system nobody can be held responsible.

Nice to see your joy, but do you still have an acceptable FPS (40+) with more than a few groups of AI on the map? Because i have a 4850 atm and things usually run well without the AI.

A E8400 at 3.00Ghz could never be a bottleneck. :)

The bottleneck is always the GPU´s CPU.

It´s why its so cheep to produce GPU´s compared to CPU´s.

Noon GPU is worth more than 50$ even after the store has it´s 30%.

It´s almost like cocain to the sellers, cheap to produce and expensive to buy.

Ofqourse they want to sell this shit to us.

Edited by aaman