Sign in to follow this  
Coffeecat

Just got my GTX460...New Game...!

Wow, I need to try this ref the AA in game.

I have a 460GTX and I run everything on very high apart from AA (normal) and PP (disabled).

Screen resolution is at 100%. Would it be better to turn up the AA or leave it at it is and increase the screen resolution?

I know I could try it for myself but unfortunately I am at work:(.

Specs are:

I5 750 @ 2.66

Nvidia 460GTX 1GB

4 GB RAM 1333khz

Win7 32bit.

Cheers

Dale

@ Touch Off - Thanks for the additional info / suggestions - Much apprecaited -

I went with the EVGA GeForce GTX460 Superclocked 1024 MB DDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with Lifetime Warranty 01G-P3-1373-AR"

Will have it in a couple days!

Any driver advice by anyone? I like my Nvidia 258 drivers right now....may just keep them and see how GTX 460 runs with them before upgrading....

Looking forward to seeing if I get a boost in performance over my GT8800....Havve to believe I will!

What is a good brand to get - With regard to the GTX460? ASUS, EVGA, PNY??

I currently run XP, Dell XPS System, Quad-Core 2.6ghz (I know it will be bottled necked going to the GTX460) ...with a GT8800 512 RAM video card.

My GTX 460 is MSI, it's the 768mb version, but it has the zalman cyclone cooler strapped to it... I got it a few months ago after my 8800GTX burned out (again).

It doesn't look as cool as the standard Nvidia monstruous brick heatsinks, but it does a really good job of keeping the card cool :)

I got a huge performance boost on ArmA too... went from playing at 3072x768 (triple head XGA), to 3840x1024 (native triple head on my monitors).

The triple head prevents me from being too generous with the graphics settings, but with this card I can set it at a very comfortable medium-high, with smooth fps all around. :bounce3:

Cheers

only performance killer is AA & postprocessing, can i expect to use these with a 460 or 560?

Turning up the 3d resolution has been said to produce a better quality smooth image with less performance loss.

Turning up the 3d resolution has been said to produce a better quality smooth image with less performance loss.

this causes almost same performance hit for me :(

i always use 3d resolution at 100% (1920x1200) and when i set it higher the mouse movement feels alot slower.

@Coffeecat - Nvidia should pay you commission. This post prompted me to upgrade my card from a 260 to 470. It makes a HUGE difference. :yay:

As a side bonus, while I was in the game messing around I decided to try the small map that came with PMC lite and I liked the look of it so much I bought the PMC DLC :D Gotta give BIS some love too!

Merry Christmas to me!

Hehe maybe i should ask for that. I just received my Alpenphön Nordwand Cooler for my E8400 which runs now on 3.60Ghz instead of 3.00. Chernarus is a lot smoother and in BC2 you can see that the card is not limiting anything, its only the CPU. AA and AF on 16x + 32qx Vsync, Hbo, runs smooth like hell now:)

The HD 6870 seems a good buy at £199 inc delivered, although I'm not sure ArmA2 likes ATI/AMD cards

There are reference 6870 cards going in the UK for £169.99+p&p, and some 5870s the last time I looked for £179.99+p&p, unless you live near these stores. With a 4890 it is getting tempting as a Christmas present from the she-boss. And I have not had any problems with this first ATI card, and a fellow player commented on their 5870 looking more vivid after having an Nvidia 285.

Like some I have a triple head setup, and cards can come in for a hammering with the extra estate to display.

@Coffeecat - Nvidia should pay you commission. This post prompted me to upgrade my card from a 260 to 470. It makes a HUGE difference.

Same here, except I upgraded from a GTS 250 to a GTX 460. Big improvement over the former as far as ArmA II performance is concerned, however, GTA IV still runs like utter shite, even on low settings.

eh, upgrading from my 9800gtx to 460 isn't going to be that big of an improvement, you follow? they made literally no drastic change between the two.

but you guys are saying it will? what is the quantitative difference?

What are most people running with DX9 or DX11 > with there GTX460??

eh, upgrading from my 9800gtx to 460 isn't going to be that big of an improvement, you follow? they made literally no drastic change between the two.

Going from a 9800GTX to a 460 is a huge upgrade, you will see massive improvements in every game. I don't know what you're on about.

@Laqueesh- It took me a GTX 580 and a heavily OC'd i5 750 to play GTA IV Maxed out with good FPS. :D

Still can't max out OA! :redface:

Edited by Enad

ok so the gtx460 is about 160 dollars at a local vender. will it go down soon or will it stay the same? i hope it doesn't go up over the holidays

You've done something wrong if you're seeing no difference between those two cards. Although the share the same core clock, they are years apart in terms of performance.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=559&card2=633

ok so the gtx460 is about 160 dollars at a local vender. will it go down soon or will it stay the same? i hope it doesn't go up over the holidays

The last thing it would do is go UP over the holidays.

The last thing it would do is go UP over the holidays.

And with the release of the 500 series the 400's will continue to drop in price.

I actually was intent on picking up the 460 too, but they didn't have the one I wanted so I grabbed the 470 instead.

As for the person who thought there would be little performance difference doing the upgrade, I thought so too, but I was wrong. Now, there are times when the FPS still drops way low, but going from an average FPS in the 20's to one in the upper forties and fifties qualifies as a huge improvement to me.

I finally have been able to buy me a new GPU after many months without PC. Since my budget is limitted and also my other PC parts are not the latest I decided to go for a GTX460 as well.

I just bought this one:

Point of View GeForce GTX 460 TGT Ultra Charged Edition

This is my first PoV card, I wanted an EVGA but all 460 cards had a very long (unknown) delivery status and I wont sent them my money and wait 6 months :)

I think it arrives no sooner than next week so I should be able to start up this game again after months of forced holiday. :mad:

This topic helped me a lot to make the decission to go for the 460 card, best from everything (price/performance). Thanks all for leaving your feedback!

I got a POV too, the GTX 470. I know they're not an unknown brand, but I was wary not going for my previous favourites, Sapphire or Asus. So far, it's been great, so I'm happy.

You're right, the 460 sits on the right place in the performance/price graph. You've chosen wisely.

PS, don't touch XFX. Getting warranty support is like poking pencils in your eyes.

I have a Gigabyte GTX 460 oced and ArmA II still hits 20 fps on such missions like Counter Attack one of the standard single player missions. My system is defragged and doesn't have any viruses or spyware and I have over half of the HD empty.

System spec and ArmA II settings below.

E84000 @ 4.2

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR

Kingston Hyper-X 4GB KIT PC2-8500

Gigabyte GTX 460

Western Digital Black 600

Corsair 650W TX

Samsung 2232 bw

arma22011-02-1716-04-21-25.jpg

Edited by Pvtpile1981

20 FPS ? Sorry, but you have a problem ! Running Benchmark E08 on my rig (see specs in signature) it delivers as follows

gtx460-1lb90.jpg

gtx460-2s9x5.jpg

(hoch = German for high). Certainly there are some differences in the system specs, but 20 FPS with your system and settings are far too low. If your system is fine and up to date I suggest to benchmark with E08 for comparison and reinstall ArmA2 on a seperat partition. Bear in mind that ArmA will be shot on you HD so do not forget to defrag.....

Cheers !

P.S.: E8400@4,2 GHZ ? Well......:rolleyes:

Jeeze, even running my E8400 overclocked to 3.6GHz caused slight stability issues. Have you got some mega cooling keeping yours from exploding on you? :eek:

I own a GTX 460 @ 765/1530/1850 and I'm happy with it.

This plus the recent OC of my E8400 @ 3,6 Ghz. Big performance gain.

E84000 @ 4.2

Keep in mind unstable overclocking can have an impact on performance.

Jeeze, even running my E8400 overclocked to 3.6GHz caused slight stability issues. Have you got some mega cooling keeping yours from exploding on you? :eek:

E8400 @ 3,6 Ghz should be stable, it depends on the CPU though.

Edited by Lonestar

20 FPS ? Sorry, but you have a problem ! Running Benchmark E08 on my rig (see specs in signature) it delivers as follows

gtx460-1lb90.jpg

gtx460-2s9x5.jpg

(hoch = German for high). Certainly there are some differences in the system specs, but 20 FPS with your system and settings are far too low. If your system is fine and up to date I suggest to benchmark with E08 for comparison and reinstall ArmA2 on a seperat partition. Bear in mind that ArmA will be shot on you HD so do not forget to defrag.....

Cheers !

P.S.: E8400@4,2 GHZ ? Well......:rolleyes:

Its actually running at 4.1 ghz on air which it should be able to do easily, its the EO wolfblade edition so uses less voltages and OC's better, so far its 100% stable and the temps don't go past 70 in full use.

I see you have a quad core thats probably why your fps is higher I should have bought a qaud :(.

Oh what arma II benchmark were you running?

Edited by Pvtpile1981

I see you have a quad core thats probably why your fps is higher I should have bought a qaud :(.

Oh what arma II benchmark were you running?

Okay, I was sure that you do not run a "E84000" :D but how should we know that it's an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 i/o an Intel Core 2 Quad E8400 ? Well, this explains a lot and yes, you bought the wrong CPU. IMO a quadcore is a "must" for Armed Assault 2 and Operation Arrowhead as they support quadcore technology and gain lots of performance.

By the way, my second rig delivers 35 FPS with the same settings and following specs

ASUS P5QL

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3,2 GHZ

4GB PC800 RAM

Zotac GTX260

Cheers !

P.S.: Too much overclocking kills ! Or was it smoking ? Anyway.... ;)