Sign in to follow this  
Engioc

ArmA Retro....

Well not sure if I want this as DLC, expansion, or maybe a full blown new game but I'd really like to see ArmA do a WW2 time period warzone. I know WW2 is probably the most overdone time period with military games but still I'd like to see it done ArmA style with more realism and the whole open world sandbox.

So far all the focus for ArmA has been on modern military, but I think it would be kind of cool to see their system used for some older periods like WW2, maybe even other wars of the past.

I feel DLC would be a bit too small scale because to do it well you'd need to include quite a large number of new units from the period. I guess an expansion makes the most sense, you can include enough content without having to make any major changes that might be needed for a whole new game.

Signed.

I am starting to be tired of all this "modern warfare" stuff so much that even the "overdone time period of WW2" feels like a fresh breeze ;-)

It would be nice to see some stuff from the fifties or sixties. American forces fighting a communist uprising in latin america, british or french troops fighting an insurgency in a colony in afrika or asia, or a korea war DLC (which is unlikely to happen because of BIS' aversion to non-fictional contents).

Anyway, something without thermal imaging, night vision and UAVs would bring some variety into the Armaverse!

It would be nice to see some stuff from the fifties or sixties. American forces fighting a communist uprising in latin america, british or french troops fighting an insurgency in a colony in afrika or asia, or a korea war DLC (which is unlikely to happen because of BIS' aversion to non-fictional contents).

Anyway, something without thermal imaging, night vision and UAVs would bring some variety into the Armaverse!

Agreed, I think Cuba could be perfect.

And the capitalist forces start their invasion at the Bay of Gigs? (or Gay of Pigs? :D)

Nah, for a twist lets say the French come in at the... (eh the hell with it :D) Bay of Gigs to assist the capitalist rebels. (Remember, the Russians/Soviets take the role the U.S. played during the Cuban Crises...)

I bet nobody saw that one coming!

You dont need an arma ww2, or an arma cuba or vietnam or whatever.

Arma is not a game its a big combat "simulating" scenario editor and you can add anything you like into it to create every scenario you want.

There are ww2, vietnam and many other content mods like islands and stuff.

Take anything you need for your specific scenario and then you can create any ww2 or other time scenarios you want.

You have all you need, so dont cry for usless new games.

Edited by Pain0815

I'd love to see a scenario where the NATO (or at least EU/US) and Russian Federation actually cooperate, it will be hard to find a force capable of fending both though. It's original and shocking.

But I wouldn't mind a Cuban Missile Crisis-like situation, or perhaps an African or North Korean campaign setting.

Edited by SgtH3nry3

For africa scenario: You start as a (black? could be fun - GTA already did it) resistance guy building a small militia unit (think resistance campaign here) doing small'ish militia work like stings etc. Later the unit is recognized by the combined forces in the area (UN/Russia/US/Whatever :)), where you advance through the levels and are given proper training for various new equipment.

I want to see a nice buildup of the campaign, where you start by being small and insignificant, where you advance through the ranks and get to play with the heavier equipment later on. Not like in Arrowhead where are are tank platoon commander (or convoy leader more likely) in the second mission.

For Africa, much of the buildings and textures are already there, even sandy desert from Arma1. I would like some jungle'ish locations on the map too, with new awesome jungle sounds. And naturally new wildlife to support the area.

Although it could start with local conflicts and exodus, we could have an opfor like Egypt (anything is possible in Armaverse :)) who tries to seize the opportunity to expand or whatever. Egypt has a considerable force, and much of the same equipment that area already in the game (from all sides!). So it becomes more of a game of actually recognizing the textures rather than pick out the unique sound of their equipment without even looking. M1 approaching? Who's? :)

For africa scenario: You start as a (black? could be fun - GTA already did it) resistance guy building a small militia unit (think resistance campaign here) doing small'ish militia work like stings etc. Later the unit is recognized by the combined forces in the area (UN/Russia/US/Whatever :)), where you advance through the levels and are given proper training for various new equipment.

I want to see a nice buildup of the campaign, where you start by being small and insignificant, where you advance through the ranks and get to play with the heavier equipment later on. Not like in Arrowhead where are are tank platoon commander (or convoy leader more likely) in the second mission.

For Africa, much of the buildings and textures are already there, even sandy desert from Arma1. I would like some jungle'ish locations on the map too, with new awesome jungle sounds. And naturally new wildlife to support the area.

Although it could start with local conflicts and exodus, we could have an opfor like Egypt (anything is possible in Armaverse :)) who tries to seize the opportunity to expand or whatever. Egypt has a considerable force, and much of the same equipment that area already in the game (from all sides!). So it becomes more of a game of actually recognizing the textures rather than pick out the unique sound of their equipment without even looking. M1 approaching? Who's? :)

Or something completely fictional based on the Arab League, NATO, PRC and perhaps a completely overlooked nation like Ethiopia or Armenia?

A setting like Cyprus would be original, let's say the Egypts want to invade Cyprus with the NATO (Greece, Armenia, Turks, three mutually diplomatically instable nations cooperating) having to conquer it back again.

Bringing in the State of Israel would be nice aswell but I think it will offend both the Israelites and the Arabs.

Or Djibouti where Ethopia and Eritrea have been claiming soil and it's up to the NATO and the Russian Federation (in order to improve connections with the Western world and vice versa) to provide humanitarian aid.

I'd also love to see more of the People's Republic of China.

Edited by SgtH3nry3

I always had thing for Cold War gettin' hot scenarios. War set in late 60's. Map based on West Germany where combined British and West Germany forces are fighting Soviet Army in local conflict (with little, or without US support). Cold war era equipement used in way it supposed to be: AKM, G3, MG3, L1A1, RPK, Leopard, Centurion, T-62, T-64, Chieftain, Mi-4 etc.

I would say it would be very CWC :D

I'd like to see a CWC remake, but in a different scenario. Pushing the Russians back to their border? Or alternate timeline, the Soviets win? :p

I'd like to see a CWC remake

+1

Although there will be the CWC2 mod, i always prefer "original stuff".

I am also fed up of that high tech warfare, means the cold War Area was very cool, not really easy to do it with the units atm in ArmA2.

But i am sure BIS will keep us suprising regarding new DLC.

I doubt the new announced PMC DLC will be the last, so....

I always had thing for Cold War gettin' hot scenarios. War set in late 60's. Map based on West Germany where combined British and West Germany forces are fighting Soviet Army in local conflict (with little, or without US support). Cold war era equipement used in way it supposed to be: AKM, G3, MG3, L1A1, RPK, Leopard, Centurion, T-62, T-64, Chieftain, Mi-4 etc.

I would say it would be very CWC :D

That would be good.

Alot of the appropriate hardware is already in the game in some form or another:

AKM

PKM

SVD

M40

M79

M14 (remove the optics)

M60 (MG)

BTR60

BTR40

T55

M113

C130

AH1

Wouldn't be too hard to change them accordingly.

I think a larger problem would be changing the radio comms, one radioman per group.

While I'd love such expansion, I do realize it would be truckload of work, as almost everything would have to be made from scratch. Something that big won't make it in DLC (I mean seriously, with all respect for ArmA:BAF, new faction is just small part of British Armed Forces, not even fully equipped side in game like USMC or Takis).

We're talking about something as big as OA, and without shortcuts like reskining and remodeling stuff from ArmA2.

That would be full size standalone Expansion Set, not like I mind paying 40-50$ for something that big and awesome.

I really like the sound of this. It's about the only way to get OMLT into the game too: you can't "teach" AI but you can be taught by scripted AI allies.

I've love a six day war game :) Or even better, USA invading Russia in the 60's/70's and leading to a very WW2'esque outcome.