Sign in to follow this  
NeoHazard

Flying while typing...

Hello all, I've been having trouble during multiplayer gameplay.

My joystick throttle is currently binded with the (Analog) Thrust control in the controls menu. I'm also using TrackIR and all of my other joystick commands are programmed as you would expect on a standard cheap saitek st290pro.

The problem is this. I'll be flying a helicopter, any helicopter, and when I go to type to other players, I press the chat command and start typing, all of the sudden the helicopters collective goes down for whatever stupid reason even though it's maxed on the joystick and I begin to descend.

It's sooo stupid. I even got some lame overly testy "squad" team pissy at me because I had hit the ground and lost a chopper because I was trying to communicate intentions.

Whats up with this?

EDIT: The way I have found to get around this now is to set the throttle stick Z+ amd Z- to Increase and Decrease thrust. it seems to work fine that way, no descent while typing. But I would still suggest fixing the analog(ue) selection for this.

EDIT2: Also noticing that when I press ESC to go to the menu in the air while throttle is set to Analogue, the Helo starts descending. If I use the seperate bindings on my throttle stick, then press ESC for the menu, the Helo maintains level flight. I'll be sticking with seperate bindings thankyou very much....

Edited by NeoHazard

The "squad" team got pissy because you weren't using VOIP, not because you crashed.

The "squad" team got pissy because you weren't using VOIP, not because you crashed.

ok, i dont need the attitude or useless comments unrelated to the matter. I'm reporting you.

Hahahahahahahaha god damn it but he is probably speaking the truth.

I mean if ya cant speak into a mic at night cus you still live at home and don't want to wake up mum and dad then what else can we suggest I mean really come on get a sense of humor.

I can only really recommend VON..and a Button for VON on your Joystick..this safes virtual lives. The chrashing while typing occurs very, very, very often.

VON is the most simple solution, and the only one next to TS.

I use a joystick and don't have this issue, I also don't use a mic because I'm generally anti social.

why is everyone saying use a mic?? its a bug don't try to pretend it isn't. cant we just get it fixed? Sure there is a "work around" (like all things in the BIS universe) but is it so hard to fix and acknowledge simple problem instead of berating the OP for not using a mic? ITS A BUG, it annoys and confuses new players, it makes the game feel clunky. You people always want to know "why is arma not popular?" well, it's partly because of stupid bugs like this that would take 2 seconds to fix.

AFAIK this also happens when you open the map.

Imo 1 thing that would be worth a thousand "Dev Heavens" would be for the devs to play online for a few hours every week. Bugs like this would jump out of the screen at them and we would have a much more fluid and enjoyable experience as a result.

Edited by -=seany=-

why is everyone saying use a mic?? its a bug don't try to pretend it isn't. cant we just get it fixed? Sure there is a "work around" (like all things in the BIS universe) but is it so hard to fix and acknowledge simple problem instead of berating the OP for not using a mic? ITS A BUG, it annoys and confuses new players, it makes the game feel clunky. You people always want to know "why is arma not popular?" well, it's partly because of stupid bugs like this that would take 2 seconds to fix.

AFAIK this also happens when you open the map.

Imo 1 thing that would be worth a thousand "Dev Heavens" would be for the devs to play online for a few hours every week. Bugs like this would jump out of the screen at them and we would have a much more fluid and enjoyable experience as a result.

thankyou! jeez. haha, I remember playing with u on TAW server(i think) for a little while. one of the few people who was actually a legit player and not an A-hole.

why is everyone saying use a mic?? its a bug don't try to pretend it isn't. cant we just get it fixed?

Fixed or not, few servers are going to welcome a player grabbing scarce air assets without the ability to use VOIP (for whatever reason).

Yeah a lot of servers have their own ideas of how you should play, that's why I avoid playing with people.

Yeah a lot of servers have their own ideas of how you should play, that's why I avoid playing with people.

because people like to work together you avoid playing with them? Learn to be a part of a social activity, it's a natural function of humans.

because people like to work together you avoid playing with them? Learn to be a part of a social activity, it's a natural function of humans.

I'm great in social settings, most players online are fucking assholes though. Not what I'd call a social setting.

Maybe your in game name should be "Flying, can not type atm".:D

If you told them, you should not have been asked questions while flying.

Back to the main topic, I can't duplicate this so there must be a reason it works fine for me and not for OP. I wouldn't say it's a bug if not everyone has the issue.

Bug or not, trying to type whilst you're supposed to be piloting a vehicle seems a pretty silly thing to attempt to do and no surprise it led to you crashing, if you must type rather than use VOIP it would seem logical to me that before you mount a vehicle you first type a message saying "can't use VOIP because it's late here so I cannot type whilst flying"?

sorry i dont have any issue with typing while flying a heli. got a MS sidewinder pro FF but i think thats not important. i'd just study your aircraft control settings again, maybe you got something mixed up?

Bug or not, trying to type whilst you're supposed to be piloting a vehicle seems a pretty silly thing to attempt to do and no surprise it led to you crashing, if you must type rather than use VOIP it would seem logical to me that before you mount a vehicle you first type a message saying "can't use VOIP because it's late here so I cannot type whilst flying"?

Well honestly I think pilots are quite capable of imputing data while flying.

you are so right !!

did you ever see a pilot typing in reallife while flying :D

just go in autohover, type and than fly ahead.

best solution is really to use ingamevoice, i mean its there for

a reason ;) so you can control a vehicle 100% and talk mean-

while.

if you have to type, don´t type a novelle, just a short message.

are you also typing when an enemy is shooting at you ??

oh and there is acre for radiosimulation, brings the game even further in

communication !!

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103472

Edited by themaster303

Well honestly I think pilots are quite capable of imputing data while flying.

ArmA doesn't simulate full auto pilot + copilot so it's not a valid comparison.