Sign in to follow this  
giorgygr

Why by default there are ALL doors open on map? ^^And what about windows?

Doors.

So..In what country can you see all building doors open when you visit

the place?

-Only in Takistan.

Why guys? Bad idea/bad for immersion.

Windows.

Yes..they look pretty well..but they add ONLY trouble to gameplay

I can shoot $h.t from inside a building.

*ps Who's idea was? I need a name to hate for the rest of 2010-11 :y::torture:

I find it odd too, though mission makers can easily close the doors if they want/need to.

I find it odd too, though mission makers can easily close the doors if they want/need to.

Thats "something" at least... :j:

As long as the animation isn't equal, it will be a problem doing it right. Some buildings use 0 to close, others 1 to close. Some buildings have different selection names to operate on. I tried doing a "close all doors on island" thingy, but due to the problems mention, it found the bin quickly.

Windows are useless. I try shooting through even an open window and I just get the glass braking sound and no bullet impact outside. It takes all the fun out of CQB when taking cover in a house is useless because you can't shoot through windows.

Mission maker can't "easily" close doors on buildings, it's a nightmare and it takes lot of time to do. all doors should be closed by default.

About windows I also noticed that AI can't see trough them. It was already the case in vanilla ARMA2, but it wasn't much of a problem as it is now with all buildings entrable.

Windows are useless. I try shooting through even an open window and I just get the glass braking sound and no bullet impact outside. It takes all the fun out of CQB when taking cover in a house is useless because you can't shoot through windows.

maybe if the window broke , it would be okay. but i'm sure if you shot a window in front of you , it would make you shaky when it cracks etc

Doors I don't care about but indestructible/bullet blocking windows are a pain in the but.

As long as the animation isn't equal, it will be a problem doing it right. Some buildings use 0 to close, others 1 to close. Some buildings have different selection names to operate on. I tried doing a "close all doors on island" thingy, but due to the problems mention, it found the bin quickly.

Are you speaking of Takistan or Chernaurus? I just wrote a simple script to close doors in houses if I got with 10meters of them. Ran around Feruz Abad and the doors closed on every house I approached. Even gates in fences closed.

The different selection names shouldn't be a big deal to overcome. The 0 vs. 1 may be an issue, but I haven't seen that one yet. Can you remember an example of a building that used 0 to close?

I've also seen the 0 vs 1 problem although testing today I couldn't find the offending doors. May this was fixed in the latest patch.

Barracks doors and control tower doors are different to house doors and I haven't seen any code to close or open those.

I'm more than happy to make a mod to do this. Obviously it would be geared towards OA and wouldn't handle custom buildings unless the authors stick with BIS naming conventions.

I've also seen the 0 vs 1 problem although testing today I couldn't find the offending doors. May this was fixed in the latest patch.

Barracks doors and control tower doors are different to house doors and I haven't seen any code to close or open those.

I did manage to find some, but not many. Using a value of 1 to close doors seems to catch the VAST majority of them. What I've found is that some buildings use different names for the door anims. A few of them I couldn't get to close even though I'm fairly sure I was using the right anim name.

In any event, to close most of the doors you will find, the following works just fine. A little more research and some tweaks and I'm sure we can get them all to close.

_houses = nearestObjects [[0,0,0] ,["House"], 15000];
_anim = 1;
{
for [{_i=1},{_i<=20},{_i=_i+1}] do
{ 	
	_x animate ["dvere" + str _i,_anim];
	_x animate ["door_0" + str _i,_anim];
	_x animate ["vrataL" + str _i,_anim];
	_x animate ["vrataR" + str _i,_anim];
}; 

}foreach _houses;

Cheers I'll file it away for future reference as I know I'll need it at some point.

_houses = nearestObjects [[0,0,0] ,["House"], 15000];
_anim = 1;
{
for [{_i=1},{_i<=20},{_i=_i+1}] do
{ 	
	_x animate ["dvere" + str _i,_anim];
	_x animate ["door_0" + str _i,_anim];
	_x animate ["vrataL" + str _i,_anim];
	_x animate ["vrataR" + str _i,_anim];
}; 

}foreach _houses;

First, you might wanna check if _i is greater than 9 and if so, you probably want to ommit the leading zero from door_. Maybe this will close the remaining doors. :)

Second, are you sure there is any building with up to 20 single doors?

Really?

Third, I guess there is no way to query the named selections, is there?

Too bad... :butbut:

Aren't all the named selections relevant for animations defined in the configs? I thought it would be possible to query all the necessary info from there using the configFile commands. :)

Sorry if I'm mistaken.

1 or 0 for closed/open is not really an issue. Assuming that all doors start open and your script is executed at the start, the required animation phase will always be the opposite of what it currently is ;)

_close = 1 - (_house animationPhase _door);

And yes, animations can be extracted from the config:

_anims = [];
_class = toArray(configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> _house >> "Animations");
for "_i" from 0 to ((count _class) - 1) do
{
    _anims set [count _anims, configName(_class select _i)];
};

Note that I don't currently have the game at hand so it might not be entirely correct. You'd also have to filter the animations as not all of them will be door-related.

Edited by Deadfast

Windows ..

I have been able to shoot through windows, it may seem a bit hit and miss but that might be because the normal 1st person view and the ironsight view dont match and you can end up firing at the woodwork or wall.

Ignore the breaking glass sound with every shot, it has a psychological effect on you, making you believe yuor bullets arent getting out :)

1 or 0 for closed/open is not really an issue. Assuming that all doors start open and your script is executed at the start, the required animation phase will always be the opposite of what it currently is ;)

_close = 1 - (_house animationPhase _door);

And yes, animations can be extracted from the config:

_anims = [];
_class = toArray(configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> _house >> "Animations");
for "_i" from 0 to ((count _class) - 1) do
{
    _anims set [count _anims, configName(_class select _i)];
};

Note that I don't currently have the game at hand so it might not be entirely correct. You'd also have to filter the animations as not all of them will be door-related.

The problem is that some doors DO start off closed already, so inverting their condition might open them. I might make the tentative guess that maybe a door starts off in position 0, whether that be open or closed for that particular model, and the 1 represents the "other" position, whether that be open or closed for that particular model.

The other thing to consider is AI usage. Can AI open doors when moving through buildings?

Why is it in a game with so many advancements, they cant replicate glass?! Games 15 years ago could handle glass; its' there, shoot through it, glass breaking sound, window is GONE ! ok, glass will deflect you bullet SOMEWHAT. But eventually it becomes a HOLE.

The way glass is handled in this game is amateurish and a huge error, considering the other advancements.

The other thing to consider is AI usage. Can AI open doors when moving through buildings?

Yes they can and do open them all by themself. On the other hand they have no idea how to or when to close a door. :D

Yes they can and do open them all by themself.

They also occasionally just walk through them... :o

Might be related to the whole inconsistency of 0/1 != closed/open.

First, you might wanna check if _i is greater than 9 and if so, you probably want to ommit the leading zero from door_. Maybe this will close the remaining doors. :)

Second, are you sure there is any building with up to 20 single doors?

Really?

Third, I guess there is no way to query the named selections, is there?

Too bad... :butbut:

When perusing the config files, those anims that used door_01 etc were never higher than door_04, but you make a good point. There are also some other anims I found that I couldn't seem to trigger the anim for.

Yes there is at least one building with 18 doors listed so I bumped it to 20 to cover a little extra.

The way the config does it is to check if object animationPhase >=0.5 or < 0.5 to determine if it should throw a 0 or 1 at the command. I tried something similar without success, but I think it was a syntax problem on my end.

@deadfast - thanks for posting that, I was wondering about pulling them out of the config but was too lazy to search for some examples.

Why is it in a game with so many advancements, they cant replicate glass?! Games 15 years ago could handle glass; its' there, shoot through it, glass breaking sound, window is GONE ! ok, glass will deflect you bullet SOMEWHAT. But eventually it becomes a HOLE.

The way glass is handled in this game is amateurish and a huge error, considering the other advancements.

Unfortunately..this is also my POV :(

*I also want to thank you guys for the research regarding "open doors" matter

Edited by GiorgyGR