Sign in to follow this  
cscuk

Lets do bad review of ArmA II

you know, seriously folks...after all these years some of you in this thread have under your belts playing this title it shouldn't surprise you to see such posts from beginners...in fact, im truthfully surprised there aren't alot more of them. Someone who just buys this game on a whim (and is new to the franchise itself or fps in general) is bound to have a similar reaction as this poster.

This title has and always will be more of a hobby than it is an game or a simulator. It is without a doubt an acquired taste that will take up an extraordinary amount of your free time to learn enough and adjust enough to truly enjoy it at all (even for the most experienced fps'ers) and there are always going to be some folks who innocently pick up the pretty box at their local store and take it home not realizing what they have just brought upon themselves, lol.

Instead of making fun of them, and instead of being angry about their extreme lack of enthusiasm...maybe a few of you might try to at least make it known that you feel their pain and understand how it is for them at the start. Alienating new comers, especially disgruntled ones is surely not a good way to grow this community I'd think.

He's obviously having some valid issues (whether it be his own ignorance or the fault of the game) and might do better with someone willing to take him by the hand at first.

If he REFUSES the help, then by all means bash away, lol.

yes, but he says,

It took months to program a joystick to be able to have a chance of operating your infantry avatar.

Kill him now!

Instead of making fun of them, and instead of being angry about their extreme lack of enthusiasm...maybe a few of you might try to at least make it known that you feel their pain and understand how it is for them at the start. Alienating new comers, especially disgruntled ones is surely not a good way to grow this community I'd think.

He's obviously having some valid issues (whether it be his own ignorance or the fault of the game) and might do better with someone willing to take him by the hand at first.

If he REFUSES the help, then by all means bash away, lol.

Sorry but please read the title of this thread, then tell me this is somebody genuinely asking for a little help.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

PS. Take away the word 'valid' and I think you're on to something.

Edited by Mandrake5

Yeah, I can appreciate that. But if you need a hand, it doesn't help by essentially starting an "ArmA2 is a crock of shit" thread. "I'm struggling, please help me" would be a better approach.

2 wrongs dont make a right fellas and not everyone has such a great way with words sometimes...remember that...perhaps he's just a youngster or maybe he's just a bit pissed after getting something he never expected. Afterall, most of the folks i know who LOVE Arma now, absolutely hated it the very first time they loaded it up to play. it can take some players many months of coming back to it before they start to "get it".

...try not to be such hard arses around here...it's just a game...and if they really hate it even after learning it then so what...it's not like he's here to insult YOU personally...so maybe some of you are taking his post personally when you shouldn't be.

anyway...it was just a recommendation is all...I hate to see people getting ganged up on just because they're upset about a game, that lets face it, is NOT for the mainstream casual gaming audience to begin with...I thought maybe some patience would do better in cases like this (especially since it seems he's run out of it himself, heh)

And btw cscuk, play the tutorial missions first Single Player/Boot Camp

And buy a F* mouse pad, seriously, a joystick to aim?, NO Way, use it for planes or vehicles, but not for infantry

great addons and ever greater mods.

Where?

And I mean specifically the "great" ones, the only mods I am aware of are either proprietary and ran by some tyrant or are they are just plain stupid and suck in the name of so-called realism, most have little or no air support which is not realistic, most do not have any vehicle respawn as if when the enemy destroys all of our vehicles we should just quit and go home because there are no more being made out there, the game helps with that allot itself when bases NEVER get rebuilt they just stay in ruins after being attacked like they are managed by some third world country, even a batallion of Engineers can not rebuild an aircraft hanger, you bounce like a rubber ball when you parachute in and the content stiock is riddled with obvious bugs, some I've mentioned before like the ATVs and SUVs with the apparent "Flubber" tires, missles that do not lock on to anything, AI that can see through everything, horrific model collision, there are plenty of places in the map where player models can actually vanish into the terrian.

So you ask, well then why do you stick around, because I still have hope in the devs reading this crap and actually fixing it and I see massive potential. ;)

EDIT: I almost forgot, joystick? Seems contradictory. Also MP is where it's at. The MP mission where you can recruit AI to play against an AI enemy can be great for playing alone and getting some practise in. Also, ARMA is a great game, like any though it could use some improvement.

Edited by callihn

And btw cscuk, play the tutorial missions first Single Player/Boot Camp

And buy a F* mouse pad, seriously, a joystick to aim?, NO Way, use it for planes or vehicles, but not for infantry

you boast and lie why should he listen to you... A1 out of the box was shit, people that have and use joysticks have bitched and complained since OFP.. lack of input on the USB was crap in A1 and never got better, A2 is much better. Loosing saves is a issue that happend too, Black screens still happen, Reinstalls are the norm, and then this is the only game i really play, but he has the half truths right. You and your 2km/3Km VD of enemys and 1k heads shots is BS troll talk... I can do it, but its far from the norm and just sissy play style.. snipers... pifft, beginners start with the long scope, real men use iron sites at 400m+.

See i can boast and be unhelpful too...:p:p

Where?

Do you know what addons and mods are? Because the 188 word sentence after this doesn't seem to sound like you understand.

Edited by Dead3yez

No kidding... :confused:

I think he's confusing mods with missions.

Are these guys on crazy pills? Or are they doing a "Arma 2 sucks because CodeMasters hasn't learned their lesson more than 10 years after their first game, OFP" type shtick?

Very odd to use a joystick for infantry stuff. I mean a '52' is a high end stick and all, but even I don't use my Foxborough DCS to control the lights in my house. I use the switch. (odd analogy I know....)

Well, i've been playing for some time now, usually an couple of hours a week with like-minded freak on our own missions, plus the occasional MP game and a lot of mission making for fun. I think that this is a magnificent game. Not perfect, sure, but the scope of it is phenomenal. And i'm STILL learning, though at least it all makes sense now... The initial learning curve was steep but the climb is more than worth it.

very entertaining thread , thank you for this rotfl

I totally agree lmaog.gif I've read so many threads on many different sites and I would have to say this one ranks in my top 5.

OP i would not be surprised one bit if you got an occupation in the gaming media/journalism area.

You're very talented Biased man, the media loves this type.

Leave the joystick under your bed mate next to those magazines you think your Dad doesn't know about.

Dad already knows, He has his underneath the sofa couchpotato.gif.

Anyways...we need to stop this madness. The thread has gone waaay of topic. or has it thinking.gif. I dunno...Aside from the remarks I would say that most are accurate but on a humorous side. Seriously now, most make a lot of sense and maybe a jab below the belt at the author along the way but IMHO most of these replies do have intelligence behind them if he thinks about it. But then again...Oh wait...baaah...I'm not going to say it.

you boast and lie why should he listen to you... A1 out of the box was shit, people that have and use joysticks have bitched and complained since OFP.. lack of input on the USB was crap in A1 and never got better, A2 is much better. Loosing saves is a issue that happend too, Black screens still happen, Reinstalls are the norm, and then this is the only game i really play, but he has the half truths right. You and your 2km/3Km VD of enemys and 1k heads shots is BS troll talk... I can do it, but its far from the norm and just sissy play style.. snipers... pifft, beginners start with the long scope, real men use iron sites at 400m+.

See i can boast and be unhelpful too...:p:p

This is me, practicing with the sniper, almost 2Km. Not a HS in this video, but I can do that even in MP with 200 of ping. Check my channel btw toons of videos :p

KPiPrpK5r9Y

see I can boast your boast so we can boast while... bleh!

In latest ACE 2 for OA the M107 Barret 0.5 Cal sniper has a range of a mere 500m before the bullets drops. I know you can adjust the sight with Shift-V but MERE 500m ??!.

Come on. I can spit further than that. It's getting ridiculous.

For comparison I believe RL SVD has a range of up to 900m or less for the center chevron. 900m!

bullets from every weapon on earth start being pulled towards the ground as soon as they leave the barrel.. its called gravity.

For comparison I believe RL SVD has a range of up to 900m or less for the center chevron. 900m!

You use the center chevron for up to 900m but you still adjust the sight. Over 900m you cant adjust the sight anymore and then you start to use the lower chevrons.

As TimRiceSE says, gravity pulls all bullets to earth. It starts the moment the bullet leaves the barrel.

Yeah, I can appreciate that. But if you need a hand, it doesn't help by essentially starting an "ArmA2 is a crock of shit" thread. "I'm struggling, please help me" would be a better approach.

Besides if he's gone beyond mousepad already then there ain't much we can do.

What lurks out there is just abominal...

:rolleyes:

I did it once and barely made it back. Dont really want to talk about it... The horror....

In latest ACE 2 for OA the M107 Barret 0.5 Cal sniper has a range of a mere 500m before the bullets drops. I know you can adjust the sight with Shift-V but MERE 500m ??!.

Come on. I can spit further than that. It's getting ridiculous.

The new BAF sniper rifle can one shot kill from 1400m :)