Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

My framerate is *not* utter shit, I can play it with a 30 +/- FPS most of the time. During something like an LGB with WarFX, then I get a drop of FPS.

Hmmm so you claimed you get 10 FPS playing Dragon Rising at 800x600 res, all low settings, but now your PC's framerate is miraculously twice as fast when you play ArmA2...

One might be inclined to suggest that you my good Sir are a masterful prevaricator.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I really enjoyed OA, but it didn't last long and it didn't have much replay value.

Yeah your probably right Baff, perhaps if Operation Arrowhead had a mission editor and a endless supply of mods things would have been different.

I'm sure your going to get plenty of replay value out of Red River...

Hmmm so you claimed you get 10 FPS playing Dragon Rising at 800x600 res, all low settings, but now your PC's framerate is miraculously twice as fast when you play ArmA2...

One might be inclined to suggest that you my good Sir are a masterful prevaricator.

A star for you at looking at that picture again. And actually looking at what the picture has in it. :rolleyes:

(p.s. For you, a hint, its got the maxed out AI and props placed inside a dense town... Yes, it was misleading. But only because it was a mission file templar sent me to test. and I joked about the FPS I got in it .... )

I really enjoyed OA, but it didn't last long and it didn't have much replay value.

ROFL!

Yeah your probably right Baff, perhaps if Operation Arrowhead had a mission editor and a endless supply of mods things would have been different.

Double ROFL! Sarcasm much. :D

Zipper, Anyone who knows the true OFP series wouldn't in their right mind consider RR to be an OFP game.

Anyone who doesn't know the true OFP series, Wouldn't want RR to be a true OFP. It's never going to be a true OFP, CM has changed what the OFP series is, ArmA is the true OFP series. OFP is now, a, "tactical shooter"

And theres nothing we can do except tell people where to go for the real Operation Flashpoint experience...

You have a good point here, still it sucks CM maybe had a cut in that title on release but they did not made it! They could easy made the game with a new name without using OFP in it. still they did and the only reason i can see and a lot of us see that, is that they wanted to use the name because of the first OFP series and to make sure that DR would sell good enough!

some of the old OFP community members (correction a lot of them) find this mis leading marketing, and i am one of them!

regards

Edited by KBourne

Unless you buy from Steam. I'm stuck with my own non-functioning BlOps because I made the stupid mistake of not only buying the game, but buying it on Steam. :(

I like Steam, I just don't like that you sign away the ability to refund your games after they're released...

note: You can get refund on STEAM if you actually prove the non functionlity of game etc

note: You can get refund on STEAM if you actually prove the non functionlity of game etc

Yeah, I read about that. Unfortunately I also read that they make it very difficult for you to refund BlOps due to the sheer number of people requesting it.

For the record Baff1, Q&A is Question & Answer. QA is Quality Assurance. They have terrible Q&A, given the fact they still hide behind a curtain of lies and marketing PR, but they have decent QA, I'll agree. ;)

Edited by Zipper5

You would be surprised, but it's pretty possible. I have singlecore Pentium as well and I have same experience. For example DR's Island War is really hardware consuming (requires good CPU), so 10 fps on Pentium 4 are quite normal. As much as 30 fps in ArmA 2, when playing with editor or some basic mission without hundreds of enemies.

CM have an excellent Q&A ethic. BIS has much to learn from them. Very much.

:j:

Please, stay off the drugs.

I have variety of gaming PC's on my LAN.

While there is clearly a minimum entry For ArmA 2, there is no maximum.

So I can play the game enjoyably on a reasonably priced machine... but I can also push to the limits more or less anything I am intrested to build.

You don't need a £3,000 computer to play ArmA 2, but you might need ArmA 2 to play a £3,000 computer.

The maximum is a viewdistance of 10 km.A PC that can run Arma2 maxed out with 10 km viewdistance is indeed not invented yet but that does not mean you can't enjoy Arma 2's graphics at 3,5 km viewdistance.:rolleyes:

@Ben: A Pentium 4 is indeed a little on the old side but as i said you can buy a good PC for a nice... price and get good performance with high settings and 3,5 km viewdistance.;)

hehe, Don't worry. I am planning to upgrade, Exams come before that and gaming though. Hopefully If I get the A star I'm aiming for in my sciences over the next week or so, I can get someone to give me a little 'extra' cash.

^^

The maximum is a viewdistance of 10 km.A PC that can run Arma2 maxed out with 10 km viewdistance is indeed not invented yet but that does not mean you can't enjoy Arma 2's graphics at 3,5 km viewdistance.:rolleyes:

@Ben: A Pentium 4 is indeed a little on the old side but as i said you can buy a good PC for a nice... price and get good performance with high settings and 3,5 km viewdistance.;)

My puny laptop really isn't good enough for Arma 2 and OA. But if I push the view distance up to 6000, the hit to my already mediocre framerate is like 10%. In fact, I can fly planes on Chernarus with full view distance, and performance stays acceptable, at least until I turn my head.

I expect tp play it through on single play once, and then again 4 way co-op a few times.

Preferably I hope to play it 4 way co-op and then SP after or indeed not at all.

Which will be reasonable value I think for the £18 I expect to pay.

Mission editors and mods are only really useful to me if I can play them co-op.

Which I expect that I can with OA, but not at a reasonable price. So I haven't.

TBH all OA added was the same thing thing RR is going to. A load of shaby desert enviroments and a load of American/Taliban units I'm not intrested in. I enjoyed it, but when it comes to replay value, I reverted to Vanilla ArmA2 straight after the i'd finished with the SP campaign.

The BAF pack I enjoyed obviously, although that didn't support co-op even if I was willing to pay 4x going rate to play it in that mode.

Edited by Baff1

If playing the campaign once and 4 player coop were your only desires, why would you ever consider purchasing Arma 2?

Yeah, OA only added Takistan, Zargabad, Desert and the American units. It didn't add FLIR, multiple weapon sights, backpacks, lasers, rangefinders, new weapons, new factions other than the US, a new campaign, new SP and MP missions, and more, but since you only desire the already mentioned two features, I ask again, why would you ever considering purchasing Arma 2 and OA?

Seems to be you'd be better off with Left 4 Dead 1 or 2.

You don't seem to even like Arma 2 that much. Why are you still here?

Are you really about to ban me for saying I enjoyed OpF DR?

Bah.

So much hostility!

I have the view distance set to default on most of my computers. I have it turned up on the ones I use for flying helicopters.

The more powerful your computer the more things are open to you in ArmA.

You know like more AI in your missions... the effect use of long range weapons etc.

I certainly recommend the ArmA titles for hardware junkies. It's problably the only PC title out to day that is pushing the envelope. The only true technology title currently in development.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

If playing the campaign once and 4 player coop were your only desires, why would you ever consider purchasing Arma 2?.

You didn't enjoy Arma2?

I bought ArmA 2 for the campaign, the mission editor, the graphics and the co-op.

Co-op turned out to be a bit of a let down as I only ever got round to buying 2 copies, and my mates come over in larger numbers than that. So that part of the game is still unfullfilled for me. I might spot an extra couple of copies in a bargin bin one day. So I don't rule it out absolutely.

With no co-op action going on, I don't really get around to writing any missions anymore.

OA I bought and enjoyed, but didn't bother buying for co-op because of the price barrier. Why did I buy it? Because it is an expansion for a solid title that I enjoy and I was up for playing something new. it was only like £12 or something. So why not?

Backpacks and FLIR and bla bla, not so intresting Sorry.

In fact I thought the FLIR rifle was pretty lame. It was fine in a tank but in the campaign as an infantry guy it basically unbalanced it.

Lasers looked nice, but I'd never use one in the game, even if I use them in real life. I notice however that when I use them in real life I do not use them the same way as they do in ArmA.

I use them as NV illuminators not targeting aids.

Nice ambiance though, I liked them.

I wasn't exactly jumping up and down with excitement however I have plenty of shooters with lasers already. It's not really a particular factor in my game purchasing decisions. None of the things you mentioned really were. Just the new SP campaign, which I enjoyed and the price which was within my budget.

I bought Left for Dead 1.

That's quite a good little co-op title. You can run all your LAN games off one copy. I prefer squad based tactical shooters to arcade titles, but it is still a great addition to any LAN. I love zombie movies so it was always going to be a winner with me. I think they captured the feel of the genre down to a T.

Edited by Baff1

CM have an excellent Q&A ethic. BIS has much to learn from them. Very much.

How are lies, mass forum bans, pre-renders, fake videos "Excellent" Q&A ethics?

Heck, they lied to the GRID crowd for a full year about dedicated servers coming only to tell them the EGO Engine doesn't support it

then preceeding to BAN everyone who called them on it and deleting the posts shortly afterwords.

Edited by jblackrupert

How is lies, mass forum bans, pre-renders, fake videos "Excellent" Q&A ethics?

Q&A is game testing mate. Quality Assurance.

Finding and removing bugs from their games before releasing.

This is something CM does well.

Edited by Baff1

TBH all OA added was the same thing thing RR is going to.

Except for in-vehicle roles as driver, gunner, assistant gunner, commander in tracked military vehicles, wheeled military vehicles, rotary wing aircraft, fixed wing aircraft, civilian vehicles, ships, boats, civilians, private military contracters, the ability to play as any faction you like, mods galore.....

Your comment was ridiculous and thoughtless Baff.

As I said earlier Baff1, Q&A does and always will stand for Question & Answer. QA stands for Quality Assurance. CM has terrible Q&A, and decent QA.

Q&A is game testing mate. Quality Assurance.

Finding and removing bugs from their games before releasing.

This is something CM does well.

Like I said, they lied for an entire year saying dedicated servers would be added in a patch then denied it was even possible.

The final DR patch put CPU usage to 100%. then they ditched it.

Everyone who pointed out problems for too long got the ban hammer.

I earned my ban on the DR forums for daring to point to the post where they admitted the EGO engine doesn't support dedicated servers.

that post was deleted a couple hours later.

Edited by jblackrupert

Don't forget the shadow banning, where people will post but no one can see it.

As I said earlier Baff1, Q&A does and always will stand for Question & Answer. QA stands for Quality Assurance. CM has terrible Q&A, and decent QA.

My mistake.

Their question and answer was excellent on OpFDR incidently. They always had a really busy board.

But their forum crowd are very young.

Anytime they got told something they didn't want to hear they all just ignored it and then got upset when the features that they refused to believe weren't on offer didn't make it in. Decided they had all been lied to.

As opposed to they had lied to themselves.

You know how it is, developers tell you day by day what they are working on in the first week, and you take that to mean that these will be included in the game, not that development is a work in progress.

They had a tough crowd that's all. Console kiddies and BIS trolls.

I've followed their forums all through development and since OpF.

I watched all the idiots read all sorts of things into every little nugget. Stuff that just isn't said.

I've seen the same thing happen on so many other games forums. It's all par for the course.

That's what happens on pre-release forums.

And then the patch comes out and a load of people complain about the patch and bla bla bla.

Every game is the same.

You know, like guy earlier in this thread who said there are no vehicles in RR and bla bla bla.

Or the guy in post above who when they leak a render from pre alpha, the one they most likely used to sell the game concept to investors... he chooses to interpret this as some great lie.

How it has somehow misrepresented the games actual grahpics to decieve him.

Comically it turned out that the in game graphics were way superior to this!

Just nonsense after nonsense from people who are genuinely trying to find something to be pissed off about. And if there isn't anything to be pissed off about, they will invent something. Like "no driveable vehicles"...

CM forums are excellent with a very high standard of moderation. The average age of the posters leaves a lot to be desired, but then.. that's the target audience.

For OpF RR, I noticed they are toning down their question and answer.

Edited by Baff1

Well, calling the games by the Operation Flashpoint brand is a lie in itself, heh. The OFP brand no longer has any meaning, it's simply another random name a developer thought good to call their rather average mainstream-pandering products. No one outside of those who played the original OFPs associates it with what OFP stood for anymore.

But their forum crowd are very young.
Console kiddies.
average age of the posters leaves a lot to be desired, but then.. that's the target audience.

Gullible investors...

Like I said, they lied for an entire year saying dedicated servers would be added in a patch then denied it was even possible.

The final DR patch put CPU usage to 100%. then they ditched it.

Everyone who pointed out problems for too long got the ban hammer.

I earned my ban on the DR forums for daring to point to the post where they admitted the EGO engine doesn't support dedicated servers.

that post was deleted a couple hours later.

They never once said there would be any dedicated servers for Opf DR.

They often said there wouldn't be.

People wanted dedicated servers and asked for them a lot. But that is not the same thing.

(I can't speak for GRID, I didn't follow that development. Sorry).

Getting banned from CM forums takes some doing. Congratulations!

I've been posting there for about 6 years + and I'm a real dick. I've never been banned there.

Edited by Baff1

@Zipper:

No offense mate, but i though this thread was about RR, not the way CM does business, comparison between DR and A2 or the way CM is moderating their forums...(DR thread lived its life)

I know your stance on the OFP brand name, and most of OFP users agree. But this thread is going in circles for the last couple of weeks at least.

Could we all go back on the subject, without making accusations or assumptions and comparisons between a released game (A2/OA) and RR?

Gullible investors...

It made good money.

Happy investors.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Well, calling the games by the Operation Flashpoint brand is a lie in itself, heh. The OFP brand no longer has any meaning, it's simply another random name a developer thought good to call their rather average mainstream-pandering products. No one outside of those who played the original OFPs associates it with what OFP stood for anymore.

It's just a brand name like Police Academy or Rainbow Six.

You broadly know what style of entertainment to expect if you pick up one of those titles. It draws the eye of people who like that sort of thing.

The original OpF was a mainstream game also. Very mainstream. GOTY etc.

It was just a shooter back in those days of course... not a "military simulator".

Edited by Baff1