Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

1st Infantry Division

OK, I can finally get these things off my chest for now.

*** NEW VERSION! ***

Basically updated models, nothing too special about them. Not too many features engineered into this lot, I'm afraid, but basically I've run out of time for my deadline, real life of course being the culprit. Updates will of course follow, when I get time.

*** CREDITS ***

Johannes aka Jonny - base model and most if not all of the MOLLE pouches, extremely large thanks to him for being generous and letting me modify his work, he basically owns this addon more than I do.

Theo aka Plaintiff1 - my first anonymous modelling friend, this Canadian guy was good enough to actually get me started. Although the DAPs are all that remains of his gargantuan effort to make stuff for me, if it wasn't for him I'd never have actually gotten around to it. EDIT - The collar on the IOTV is also his work, legendary as it is. Kudos to Theo once again. smile_o.gif

Dasquade - legendary Belgian, provided several crucial parts to the models in his own time. Kudos to him and his l337 sk1ll5.

Jahve - attempted final preparation and useful beta testing + reference pic provider from Norway. Helped quite a shiteload. His company was extremely [JimCarreyVoice] PRODUCTIVE! [/JimCarreyVoice]

Ebud - helped in a way we both cannot tell the community. Don't ask.

*** SPECIAL MENTION ***

Andrei AKA NSX/NSXr - offering and succeeding in taking many fully awesome pictures of the new blokes, and lending support. Ta comrade.

Clavicula_Nox - advisory shtuff.

olemissrebel - advisory shtuff (good luck wherever you are).

US_Navy_Dude - advisory shtuff.

Jahve - normal maps worthy of Mordor.

Wipman, Nephillim + the DSA modelling team - for granting me permission graciously for using stuff that actually didn't make it into the final addon.

Ebud - boot + other stuff help.

CrazyBump Team.

Adobe.

Pauliess - support + comments.

Architeuthis - support + comments.

ColonelSandersLite - promises of a replacement pack, apologies for my tardiness.

newbieboka + Knight31 - offering to beta test, despite my slackness - sorry lads. sad_o.gif

Everyone else who dropped a kind word or constructive criticism or spam in my thread.

*** FAQ ***

Q) Are the rank patches customisable?

A) No, not yet. Expect it in updates, potentially.

Q) What about nametapes?

A) See above, except it may not ever happen due to circumstances beyond my control... for now.

Q) Why didn't you make two unique SAW dudes, fireteam leaders or grenadiers?

A) Ran out of time. Perhaps later.

Q) I see you have given each unit class unique camo. Wicked sick?

A) Aye, wicked sick.

Q) Have my babies?

A) Refer to Jonny's USMC thread, he's the man you should be talking to. smile_o.gif

Q) Why are those guys wearing the same gay old BIS MOLLE pack?

A) If someone makes me a pack worthy of Mordor, I'll gladly use it. Camelbak Motherlodes would be nice, please.

Q) SF?

A) Maybe later, hopefully someone else will make some.

Q) Other units besides the 1st ID?

A) Probably the 101st blokes again, in a little while.

Q) WTF?

A) Left leg plus spider kneecap.

*** ISSUES ***

- Completely ArmA.rpt error free at this time as far as I've checked.

- Optimised to BIS standard. Later updates should hopefully be up to ~75% more optimised, however, motivation will be required.

- No missions included in ZIP, perhaps if someone could make a really good one I could include it in time.

- NOD textures need tweaking, at the moment they're comparatively bare, not like you'll notice, though. smile_o.gif

*** PICTURES! ***

Check them out, before you download - NSX took quite some time making these, the least y'all can  do is take a little time viewing them. smile_o.gif

Great pictures, eh? Thanks again, NSX!

*** IMPORTANT! ***

- Versions with different configs will be released shortly, once I've written them. Namely, I've got a Wipman config, a Vilas config and a RobertHammer config in the works. The only issue with these is that people will have to manually swap out the config as for some reason I don't seem to be able to properly binarise the file without the config in the actual folder, and I'll be damned if I'm releasing ODOLs. tounge2.gif

My only ask in using this addon is that you PLEASE MAKE MISSIONS FOR IT! I've made these blasted things, now I'd like to be able to use them ingame for once. So please, open up the editor and go nuts.

OK, now, what you've been waiting for:

Link (FileFront)

Link (Armed Assault.de)

Thanks to all collaborators, and I hope the community enjoys this addon, which has been yonks in the making.

If it doesn't work for any reason, just scream out and I'll get onto it tonight. smile_o.gif

Awesome textures man, awesome.

Quote[/b] ]1st? why sign 25 Inf. Div. on arm?

YacieK - that's the combat patch. That soldier has seen combat with the 25th ID, but is now part of the 1st ID - he is allowed to wear the 25th ID patch on his right shoulder. Notice the 1st ID patch on his left shoulder?

US Army troops must wear their current unit's patch on their left shoulders, however, they have permission to wear whatever patch they desire on their right shoulder, provided they have seen combat with that unit.

Hope this helps.

@McNools - thanks, mate.

Looks good. I've been following this addon for a while now. Deffinitly will give it a go when i get off work here in a little while, then I must sleep for a few hours, but will deffinitly check this out. Thanks for your hard work. yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]1st? why sign 25 Inf. Div. on arm?

YacieK - that's the combat patch. That soldier has seen combat with the 25th ID, but is now part of the 1st ID - he is allowed to wear the 25th ID patch on his right shoulder. Notice the 1st ID patch on his left shoulder?

US Army troops must wear their current unit's patch on their left shoulders, however, they have permission to wear whatever patch they desire on their right shoulder, provided they have seen combat with that unit.

Ah, experienced guys tounge2.gif

They look awsome, to bad I don't have Armed Assault yet to check it out sad_o.gif

Great work! smile_o.gif

Looks good Cameron and may become my new Patch Switching pattern.

This is just speculative, but any chance of an ACU uniform without body armor and wearing a beret when the tools come out?

Of course, mate. My current garrison unit is wearing an IBA - urrgh. I usually do a Garrison Unit (cap), Garrison Unit (boonie) and Garrison Unit (beret) as well as a no-headgear one. I think I could have done one right now actually... I'd better look into that... hmmm... civilian retex...

Thanks for the comments mate, I'll be sure to jump aboard your patch switching thing when it comes out!

Also, apologies to those poor blokes playing Evolution that I just got punted out of - memory error. sad_o.gif

EDIT - Nah, I couldn't have done it because the civilian models all have short sleeves. sad_o.gif

Cameron you are a god among men, thanks for the reskin and all the hard work over the past couple weeks. This is probably the addon ArmA required most.

smile_o.gif

EDIT: Going along with what was just said a few posts back, a garrison unit with a beret would be nice. Many units (including mine) stick with a patrol cap instead of the beret, however, so that may also be a good idea to include.

Well Done, Cameron! thumbs-up.gifsmile_o.gif Beautiful details and texture work. inlove.gif

Cheers. smile_o.gif

Cameron,

Great Job been trying to get an ACU soldier for a while now. One complaint - The vests look a little too dark, purplish almost. Will these be fixed in the next version?

Of course, mate. My current garrison unit is wearing an IBA - urrgh. I usually do a Garrison Unit (cap), Garrison Unit (boonie) and Garrison Unit (beret) as well as a no-headgear one. I think I could have done one right now actually... I'd better look into that... hmmm... civilian retex...

Thanks for the comments mate, I'll be sure to jump aboard your patch switching thing when it comes out!

Also, apologies to those poor blokes playing Evolution that I just got punted out of - memory error. sad_o.gif

EDIT - Nah, I couldn't have done it because the civilian models all have short sleeves.  sad_o.gif

Yeah, not only do the civillians all have short sleeves, their models are shorter and have quite a bit more meat to them.

The OpFor and RACS dudes who wear berets would work, but the thing is facing the wrong direction for US troops, so no love there.

One complaint - The vests look a little too dark, purplish almost. Will these be fixed in the next version?

Ah, well, I tried to get the dang things as close to the base ACU as possible. I'll try and straighten this out.

Quote[/b] ]The OpFor and RACS dudes who wear berets would work, but the thing is facing the wrong direction for US troops, so no love there.

Yeah, and the buggers are still wearing body armour, damn them!

Thanks for the comments, guys. Nice to be appreciated. thumbs-up.gif

cameron, at least make that PV2 in the picture a PFC, i highly doubt he's still going to be an E-2 after seeing combat, and being in a different unit. ie, he woul dhave been in over three years.  also, the helmet straps should be a light, greyish-fol. green, not black.  the snaps and closures of the gear are also the greyish green color. also, theres a velcro piece on the top of the helmet for an ir  patch, if you need anything else, you know the drill. good job! stick with the 1st ID combat patch, once theyve been in country a few days they are authorized to wear it. i noticed more than half of the squad are either former marines, or served under a marine unit?

Hey mate, nice to hear from you.

Quote[/b] ]cameron, at least make that PV2 in the picture a PFC, i highly doubt he's still going to be an E-2 after seeing combat, and being in a different unit. ie, he woul dhave been in over three years.

Sounds like a plan, I wasn't sure what to make the men rank-wise (because the vests are shared over different models), so I just left them as PV2s. That can be fixed easily.

Quote[/b] ]also, the helmet straps should be a light, greyish-fol. green, not black. the snaps and closures of the gear are also the greyish green color.

Really missed that one, didn't I? I suppose I was waiting for a new helmet, but I'll fix it up ASAP, and the gear should be easy to do.

Quote[/b] ]also, theres a velcro piece on the top of the helmet for an ir patch

Wilco.

Quote[/b] ] noticed more than half of the squad are either former marines, or served under a marine unit?

Yeah, I heard a lot of Army units are being attached to Marine Expeditionary Forces over in the middle east, and so I decided to add the 2 MED patch.

Thanks for the advice! thumbs-up.gif

Looking sexy Cameron. Nice textures! smile_o.gif (Why couldn't BIS use this from the start :P) Well done.

I know this will just make it worse, but here are 2 side by side pics I took at work of the ACU armor. You can see a huge difference in the outdoor and indoor pics. The outdoor pic is what I see when I look at the armor. The washed out pic is what you see with a flash only. In natural light the colors are very tan and green, but that may just be for this item.

acu.jpg

Looking damn good...I should ask you to model my patches for my in game persona. You are WAY better at it than I would be.

Niiice biggrin_o.gif And the big red 1 too. Just waiting for the DL to finish to see how good they are. Can't wait till you have V1.0 out, then I think they will look excellent. Good luck with future projects mate!

Ebud, that's exactly what I mean. Are you military also?

It just seems like ArmA is only capable of showing ACU's in bright light, which is why they stick out in circumstances they wouldn't in real life. ACU's are much better in real life than in the game.

Is there any way to reduce how shiny and reflective the ACU's are in sunlight?

I'll try and dull them but good, though it's a matter of getting the balance between blue and green and black, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm still working on these and I've:

- Fixed the equipment straps + snaps from black to ACU green/grey as required.

- Greyed the FSBE helmet straps, heh, a-la ACH style.

Still have to:

- Fiddle with the darkness of the ACU.

- Change the ranks from E2 PVT to PFC.

Thanks for the comments, all.