Sign in to follow this  
rksl-rock

RKSL - WIP - Ilha Marrom - 40.9km Island

RKSL/IAP - Ilha Marrom.

This is the "Large WIP" I promised a few days ago. Its part of a larger project that has been kicking around the RKSL team and our friends for a long time. (Possibly the worst kept secret in community history since its been leaked so many times.) Its something that has evolved (read as oozed, crawled and eventually walked) over an extened period of time from the primordial ooze that is my office. (Anyone up for a bit of cleaning?)

It is:

• 40.9km x 40.9km Island for ArmA2: Combined Operations
  • an ALPHA release and in no way represents anything even closely near finished.
  • being released because so many people have asked for it even in its current state.
  • completely fictional and completely hand made. No DEMs or other geo data were used in its creation.
  • incredibly sparse.
  • 20m cell size to help MP performance.
  • It has a basic but extensive road network
  • 7x working air strips.
  • 2 of which are large air bases.
  • Large port and docks
  • 2km long runways for large jet operations.
  • Only one ground texture.
  • Lots and lots of issues and require a lot more work.
  • some white place holders
  • Several Large reservoirs

And a lot more planned.

ilhamarrom1.jpg

Ilha Marrom is intended to be the centre stage for a larger community project called Ilhas Africanos. Once I get settled in the new year I'll post more about that. For right now, this is just a taster.

ilhamarrom2.jpg

Oh and a tip... try flying the canyons in the Typhoon at speed.

download-button.jpg

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Cool, DLing now... Saw pics of this island some time ago and now dream comes true.

Thank you Rock.

Just curious... how did you make a nearly empty island 276 MB?

Just curious... how did you make a nearly empty island 276 MB?

Take a look and see.

Congrats on the release, mate. I'll have a little poke about on it. :)

Hardly a release. I look at this as more of an "escape".:D

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Take a look and see.

I just want to know since the pictures you provided show us a mostly objectless landscape, and I don't care to download that much to explore an unfinished map.

40x40 island :eek: it gonna take ages to put thinks there. downloading now to try fly trhough the canyons :D

also notice like 6 airports, that measn its a huge island!!!

Edited by SpetS15

I just want to know since the pictures you provided show us a mostly objectless landscape, and I don't care to download that much to explore an unfinished map.

Yes it is unfinished but its still a nice play ground. There are a lot of objects on it. Just because you don't see them on the first image doesnt mean they arent there. They just don't fill 1600km2 of space.

But hey, no one is forcing you to download it.

40x40 island :eek: it gonna take ages to put thinks there. downloading now to try fly trhough the canyons :D

also notice like 6 airports, that measn its a huge island!!!

This release is from a build made 6 months ago. Due to "community" politics we've had to revert to an earlier version for public use. I'll explain more about that when the new site goes live in the new year.

There are actually 7 working airports and 3 "disabled"

Congrats on this release, I'll download and look at it tomorrow. Maps in this size are something that are missed and only rarely can be seen in the game (speaking of A2 of course). I'll surely will keep an eye on this project, and Ilhas Africanos did wake my curiosity :)

an ALPHA release and in no way represents anything even closely near finished.

Hope this answers your curiosity.

I was wondering when you would go public with this. As soon as I get internet I will download it and see what changes have been made from the version that I have, although they are probably the same.

Congrats on going public, I believe this will keep alot of people busy for a long long time.

I didnt find or saw the canyons, only some low mountains at least it was not as I expecting it to be :s

Wow, very impressive! I hope you'll have time to finish it. (And then that I'll have time to play Arma. :/ )

Lovely work ... good to see another large "airforce" friendly terrain ;)

Small bug;

RKSL1.jpg

RKSL2.jpg

And its been years since I did a nice long Line-Patrol ;)

RKSL3.jpg

Good to see this finally break cover. I'm sure that it's going to be popular.

Are you still planning the vast collaborative community project to populate it?

**edit** Will I FINALLY get to see the wind turbines? :D

look very good !

On question; where is the aircraft shelter in the editor ? Are they available ? I can find a radio tower, a wind turbine an helo, but nothing like the big shelter & others stuff. And i m saaaad :)

Again, great job !!

Rock and Co.,

Congrats on the release. Sparse or not it's great to see this in game. Thank you!

Wow, i wasnt expecting this :-D i shall be testing it out soon as i get back from the post office! wow i sound old... Get car tax>go to girlfriends>get smashed>throwup on her>bacon butty in the morning

Get car tax>go to girlfriends>get smashed>throwup on her>bacon butty in the morning

Hehehe!

Happy new year bud! Pace yourself!

Get car tax>go to girlfriends>get smashed>throwup on her>bacon butty in the morning

Does she know how lucky she is to have you?

That's a mating ritual up north...

Interesting island Rock, had a quick fly around but not explored it fully yet. Can't wait for the new Typhoon though.

She'll be making me the butty as well :-D

Im sure she'll hurl before I do, failing that, I may 'headbutt' her again if she starts doing the drunkard press-up thing.

If she ever see's these posts, Im a dead man