da12thMonkey

OOPz & P:UKF - Accuracy international L115A3

Just want to say thank you for this outstanding sniper rifle. My new favorite!:cool:

StalkerGB's excellent 3 RIFLES MTP soldiers has a sniper in Mk7/OA vest with the L115A3.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101029

I know; I'm a quiet fan of all StalkerGB's productions. What Im suggesting is a way for a sniper to be able to wear a ghillie suit and get the benefits of the camouflage it offers. However, under ACE2 if fatigue is factored in it should knock hell out of the wearer; it does in real life, so running around in one permanently is NOT the best option. If a sniper was able to put it on/take it off at will however, it becomes more useful.

Just a thought.

Nice accurate sniper, but the optic zoom in rate seems lower than real one(which is 25 times)

With a 1 mil = 1m scale at 25x magnification the reticle pattern was too big to fit all of it on the screen (no stadiametic range-finder) and at 5x zoom the pattern was too small (i.e most of the screen was blacked out by the eyepiece). So I chose to scale it down to 2x-10x zoom with 1 mil = 1m at 10x.

Since every thing's still to scale, it's effectively only reducing the resolution of the image through the scope (pixels per meter).

Looking at the optics for the M1 in Arrowhead (the reticle scales with the zoom level) it might be possible to do the scope properly now - but I suspect it only works for stepped zoom on vehicles.

I know; I'm a quiet fan of all StalkerGB's productions. What Im suggesting is a way for a sniper to be able to wear a ghillie suit and get the benefits of the camouflage it offers. However, under ACE2 if fatigue is factored in it should knock hell out of the wearer; it does in real life, so running around in one permanently is NOT the best option. If a sniper was able to put it on/take it off at will however, it becomes more useful.

Just a thought.

It knocks less hell out of the wearer when your full time job is Soldiering and not eating pies.

So Mr.Da12thMonkey, what you mean is it's hard to make 25x optics,right? But I've noticed the ACE's Laser Rangefind has a more than 10x optics, which I guess at least 15x. I've been dreaming of having a sniper with over 20x optics, thus I can finish some long range shooting efficiently. Your sinper mod is cool, and if it could have 25x zoom, then I will carry it everywhere to complete some nice mission...Anyway, thanks!

It knocks less hell out of the wearer when your full time job is Soldiering and not eating pies.

I daresay. But you're still not going to do a TAB in one, are you?

BTW; try Morrison's Chunky Steak. Awesome pies.:p

Edited by Stag

I daresay. But you're still not going to do a TAB in one, are you?

BTW; try Morrison's Chunky Steak. Awesome pies.:p

Why not, it's character building after all. Just like tabs in 4 Romeo or 6 k extractions in full CEMO plus OP kit etc.

Yomping in 4 Romeo and Morrisons steak pies. You blokes are getting me all hot and bothered.

Edited by Redders

Why not, it's character building after all.

Yes, I've heard that one before. It usually involves pain, discomfort, sweat and clothes endiing up more than a teensy bit wet. Getting paid to do this is fine, and indeed as you say, Character Building. On the other hand PAYING to have this done to you isn't necessarily Character Building, but definitly is masochism. :D

But we digress. In hindsight perhaps I should have contacted Stalker with the suggestion for the sniper unit, but I started here. Oh well. :)

So Mr.Da12thMonkey, what you mean is it's hard to make 25x optics,right? But I've noticed the ACE's Laser Rangefind has a more than 10x optics, which I guess at least 15x. I've been dreaming of having a sniper with over 20x optics, thus I can finish some long range shooting efficiently. Your sinper mod is cool, and if it could have 25x zoom, then I will carry it everywhere to complete some nice mission...Anyway, thanks!

Of course it's possible to do optics with 25x zoom. :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is that when you do that; the entire reticle pattern for the scope doesn't fit on the screen. If you make the magnification 2.5x larger the reticle has to get 2.5 times larger to maintain a 1meter = 1 mil at 1000m scale.

the top of the pic below shows what the reticle would look like through the scope at 25x, at best:

fullscope.th.jpg

As you can see, the stadiametric range-finder is barely usable because the vignetting intersects the horizon for it. Also; unless you have a massive view distance in ArmA 2, you see a lot of z-fighting, low-res textures and general crappy graphics if you look at an object 1000+ meters away in high magnification.

Conversely, If I shrank the reticle to the mil-dot scale for 5x zoom it's look like it does in the bottom half of the pic - tiny and almost unusable when you do zoom in to 25x.

In short, I had to scale the zoom down to maintain the full functionality of the reticle. I consider the range-finding abilities of the scope to be far more important to gameplay than the ability to see what colour nail varnish a Chernarusian hooker standing 900m away, is wearing.

Now, if BIS made variable-zoom scopes behave like they are supposed to in ArmA 2; this wouldn't have been a problem.

Gee,Mr.Da12Monkey,I finally figure out your meaing, I think it must be dued to the game engine limitation or PC hardware limitation. Anyway, thanks for your detailed explanation.

from chatting on IRC, IIRC its simply something that never got coded, we get first focal plane behaviour because nobody ever got assigned the job of writing the script to zoom it in for second focal plane

/me shrugs

Yes iv seen that in OA that i cant lower down the bipods for the rifle. It says in the top right screen bipod up, but i dont have the option in the action menu to lower it any more. Sounds for the guns are top notch love the sounds of the UKF guns. But in OA i cant lower down my bipod for the sniper rifle.

Off of the top of my head I believe it to be the H key which lowers ze bipods, about 75% sure...

Off of the top of my head I believe it to be the H key which lowers ze bipods, about 75% sure...

Yha your 100% on that. Thank you.

I've got a slight problem with the L115a3. When I go into the Armory all instances of the L115a3 appears twice in the list. Does anyone know why this is happening? I only have 1 instance of the rifle running and have disabled the PUKF weapons pack just in case of a conflict.

They're the 'hidden' versions with the bipod modelled in the up or down positions that the script switches between.

You'll get the same duplicates if you use the ACE Magic Box as it loads all classes.

The two versions are bipods up and bipods down, switched between by the attached scripts.

edit: doh, 10 seconds too slow.

A fix is to set the 'hidden' versions as disabled in the Armoury:

class Armory {

disabled = 1;

};

Edited by pez2k

Cheers fellas, btw she's a great rifle and rapidly overhauling the M107 as my favourite weapon of choice.

Nice! Didn't know this. Is this in the readme? I didn't see it.

Doesn't the weapon switching cause the weapon magazine to be "switched" too with a full one? Can't test it myself

Doesn't the weapon switching cause the weapon magazine to be "switched" too with a full one? Can't test it myself

Yes but as long as you're not PvP ing who cares? You just have to se it as a minor problem.