Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

[ADO] Tropica, an African adventure

@nettrucker : thanks for the link ... that's great to have a way to a solution.

Of course, as I have already said I am learning slowly and probably need some time to get the Armory working on Tropica, but I believe it's worth the trouble, thanks again.

You are welcome. My thanks goes to you for your hard work making user made Islands, which are my favourite toys for being honest. Keep up the great work.

Kind regards:D

Old Bear sent a port of Benny's warfare I did for this excellent island along to Armed Assault info. It can be found here if interested:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=4401&game=1

Edit: I forgot to mention that I used pieces from a base template made by Darkhorse 1-6 for the 3 central desert capture points (no worries, not an addon), thanks Darhorse! Also note that in additon to having cba, ace and acex you need to have acex_pla or the mission will not run even if you do not use pla as the resistance. This is because I restored the logics benny uses in his ace warfare but they didnt make it into ace warfare version 2.060. Sorry if causes any confusion.

Edited by Gutm@sher

Hey there.

Has anyone noticed any problems with CTD's after new patch?

I cant get my Tropica mission working after updating. Any ideas?

Here is [ADO] Tropica v0.6beta !

After first release, I have done some changes on the map, and done some polishing ^^.

This version is using a new Berghoff African foliage addon: brg_africa_1.20.

Other changes :

- 2 existing villages extented, 2 villages created :Cruce et Tres caminos, a ruined village and a disused base created in the middle of the island.

- a new North-South dirt track created,

- shortcuts created through the mangroves and through some fences in order to help IA movements.

The needed Tropica_objets is still WIP, the config has been enhanced but is still unfinished.

DOWNLOAD -Tropica v0.6 beta - [95 MB 7z] from Armed Assault.info .ftp

For this release, I must add special thanks to Gutm@sher who ported a Benny's Warfare in "Combined Operation" mode ... ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead needed to play it.

DOWNLOAD WarfareV2_061LiteOA [192 KB 7z]

thanks!

i think the map will look good with OA objects.. ...

also, a big jungle somewhere would be cool to have, with small clearings

Very, very nice. Keep up the great work!

I shall be testing with Gut on the UTF "modded" server shortly.

In fact the map is still in beta state even now as it has the look and feel of a final version, because I am still waiting for "home made" buildings by the talented but RL busy addon-makers from my [ADO] team ...

About the jungle..., in building my maps, I am always thinking of guys having medium/low range PC.

In the initial Tropica project, the Djo and Gha basin were jungle areas ... and I had build a version with many trees from 1st Berghoff's African Foliage addon and as I was around 15/20FPS in game on my rig, I have switched to the savanna/mangrove version you are having a look at now ...

But I am still wanting to have a jungle map ... and i am working on it now ... but it's an other story ;)

OldBear rig Core2Duo E6600 on Asus P5B, 4 Go Ram 800, Saphire 4870 Vapor-X 1Go ... and a bunch of HDs full of OFP/ArmA/ArmA2/OA ... items.

do you intend to import some of your arma 1 islands to arma 2 ?

especialy Tatawin ?

keep up the good work loving your stuff

ps. the banga prison could use a broken wall and fence (just one of both) so an escape mission could be made there

Edited by supergruntsb78

Nah, just a broken fence. The wall would have to be overcome by the smarts of the prisoners (and a satchel charge a sympathetic guard left in the yard...) :D

the Tropica v0.6 beta.7z archive features the needed tropica_objets addon and the African foliage addon by Berghoff. If you are already playing the great Isla Duala map by IceBreakr you have already this last one in one of your directories.

Please do not include addons into your release packet, that are readily available from the great news sites, like for example Armedassault.info.

PMC Editing Wiki: how to release

Is helpful guide to make good releases.

BTW I was going to download your terrain to check it out, but I'll make stance on principle here and I will not download a addon that includes almost 40mb of addon(s) that I already have.

Nice job on the update Old bear,this map is 1 of my favorites,great job and hoppefully we see some more updates in future.

cya

Please do not include addons into your release packet, that are readily available from the great news sites, like for example Armedassault.info.

While this is true, I know the version that comes with this island is bang up to date, some of the news sites keep older versions, so at least this way I get it running without issues. So, I for one am more than happy to download the 'all in one' package. I'm not trying to start an arguement, but its up to addonmaker and whatever is easiest for them.

Back on topic,

Loving the island to bits, I love the terrain layout. There are plenty of ways to move around the island mostly unseen, which is awesome :)

Thanks for the release Old Bear ;)

do you intend to import some of your arma 1 islands to arma 2 ?

especialy Tatawin ?

keep up the good work loving your stuff

ps. the banga prison could use a broken wall and fence (just one of both) so an escape mission could be made there

just so they know

i tested tatawin (arma island) in arma 2 and it takes some time to load but it works :) :):yay::yay:

I can't speak on Floosy behalf - even if he has been my map making teacher - about a Tatawin port to ArmA2. But I think that it's highly improbable.

Due to a hazardous operation while switching to Seven he has lost a large part of his map making work on the map ... and even if there is no direct link to this event, due to RL issues he has stopped working on this terrain.

Speaking about Tropica, nothing new under the sun ... . I am still waiting for my fellows addons makers works.

But here is something that can help you waiting, an updated WarfareV2_063LiteCO.tropica by Gutsm@sher ... and Benny^^ :

here's BE 2.063 combined ops for tropica. Note that the default start time is now 0500 but it gets daylight in a few minutes. Fast time is cut in half.

DOWNLOAD WarfareV2_063LiteCO.tropica.pbo.7z [200 KB 7z]

Tropica v0.81 island released on the Armed Assault.info Forums.

Now Tropica is a CO maps, ArmA2 and ArmA2 : Arrowhead needed.

v0.81 This version is a CO version.

Changelog:

- Added OA building in place of ArmA2 buidings ,

- Added OA objects,

- Removed from the map a big green bush model allowing AI to fire through without been seen,

- Modified ground texture to fit better OA building,

- Modified config.

- Removed a misplaced palm trees and bushes heap .

thanks for the update excellent map

Is it possible that you integrated sandstorm module (like Thirsk has but for snow) in your next release ?

Thanks for the encouragements ^^.

@panda : of course it will be great but there are too many areas I feel like a totally dumb old animal and there are already many things to add in areas I do not master.

To be done :

- Intro,

- Armory compatibility.

@Gutmasher, could you tell me if the BE Warfare you ported to Tropica is still working on this version ?

@all missionmakers : after having worked a lot to port a Domination using IceBrkr's African troops, to get a Domi without sophisticated weapons with a flavor of BAS on Tonal Redux I have stopped because I am not able to get it works. So if someone around here can do something like that, it will be great :D

Nice work, thanks for the update Old Bear. I'm exploring this tonight :)

Sounds brilliant Old bear.

Oh how I miss my Tonal fix.

I don't get into Domi much. But I'd try that :D

Thanks for the encouragements ^^.

@Gutmasher, could you tell me if the BE Warfare you ported to Tropica is still working on this version ?

It should. I will try to get around to updating it to BE 2.064 sometime this weekend unless someone else jumps on it.

edit: sent you some love via email.

Edited by Gutm@sher