Sign in to follow this  
wolf[173rd]

Next ArmA - WWII Themed

Let's be honest, the last "open-world" WWII game was Battlefield 1942. I believe if ArmA made a WWII themed game, it would be outstanding. There's really no reason to go into detail as you can either like the idea or not right off the bat.

Let the whole WWII up to the modders. Noone wants another WWII clone (especially as maintheme of our beloved modern warfare ArmA).

Every player is just plain sick of the millions of WWII shooters out there...

If you want some kind of WWII battlefield go try Red Orchestra

So we're finally getting FLIR, lasers, UAVs, etc, and now you want to take it all away? No thanks :) Fire up Arma1 with a WWII mod instead :D

So we're finally getting FLIR, lasers, UAVs, etc, and now you want to take it all away? No thanks :) Fire up Arma1 with a WWII mod instead :D

hey carl i love you :yay::yay:

. Noone wants another WWII clone

Wouldn't call a WWII version of ArmA a WWII clone, because the game is so much different. It's like saying that if you fight Russians in CoD then ArmA II is a clone of CoD.

yeah ok but ww2 is to much abused..:(

Edited by ***LeGeNDK1LLER***

No, I think that`s a case where opinions differ. But right, let the WWII content left to our beloved modders :)

World War 2 was never abused, only the battles as most of the WW2 games do the same battles all the time (IE: D-Day, Battle for Berlin, Stalingrad, Battle of the Bulge, all the other MAJOR battles) , and a lot of them are rail shooters that are entirely dependent on the player. IMO, the huge "what if" modern day situations (IE: WW3, or terrorists getting nukes) that you see in rail shooters nowadays is even more cliche than the WW2 versions of those games...

no, we can still have both. Wouldn't you love to fight the war with apaches and F22s?

Edited by Fox '09

I dunno why but I find that ARMA gameplay never really fitted for WW2 mods.

Well i don't really see why, but anyway i think it's up to addon makers to recreate that kind of things, who can invest and devote time to historical eras they love, as long as BI finally provides us with some more Mlod models and some more documented configs. I thing it is about time they do it. Really.

WW2 is flat out uncreative... ignoring the fact that dozens of other games are WW2 themed, Arma is supposed to be fictional battles and wars, not real ones. I like keeping with that because it keeps me interested, i.e. obviously the allies win, that's uninteresting. I would prefer something set in 1920 if something were to be made, and even then make a fictional war. That would be kinda cool.

we would need something that allows us to make trenches.. without making objects

I agree with the OP

The argument that WW2 has already been done to death doesn't hold up - modern shooters have been done just as much and just as poorly - and ARMA2 stands out from them for exactly the same reason a WW2 ARMA2 version would: the open and authentic style of play.

I can understand a view that BI resources shouldn't be chanelled away from future ARMA2 development - but if the future of ARMA2 wasn't affected then shouting down a WW2 version is just crappy attitude: more choice is always better - don't like it then don't buy it - simple.

personally i would vote for a vietnam themed one.. why

No other game offer that cool "aircav" feeling that is going on in many arma2 games.. you fly short enough to be fun, long enough to feel real.. and the area is massive but the enemy can't be seen..

ArmA2 engine is sooo made for vietnam.. (even if i do like the flir and stuff)..

also the planes would be more suiting, the code is there to make the tanks "Realistic".. and so on..

Vietnam > WWII.. for the arma2 engine..

Vietnam:

* Needs loads of dense jungle instead of fairly loose woods like today, which is already killing performance. Jungle vegetation would need more polys to define, I think.

* Denser jungle would mean having to lower texture settings to the level I have it today - at minimum. That means green texture patches in trees are of really low quality. I can't see through it due to resolution, but AI still can, and shoots me. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an invisible enemy (typical for Vietnam), but for the right reasons please.

* Vietnam would most likely look horrible with todays landscape resolution. We'd need more cover and microterrain, meaning a lot smaller island. I prefer huge massive area to explore.

* Would require better support for streams and wide rivers (check out the VietCong game, best game of that era imho, which even have some neat features not found in Arma).

* Streams and rivers would require bridges. Bridges vs AI? Bridge wins... :(

* Requires less advanced weapons and system simulations that we currently have available.

For those reasons, Vietnam (and WWII) would be better suited as a mod. It should be fairly easy to remove modern features of a tank from that era, than trying to create modern features in a mod.

Let the modders do it.

Yes, WW2 arma would be great, but as a Brit I'd need to demand that it would include at least models for the 6 major powers (Brits, Germans, Italians, us, Japanese and Russians) and it would need bayonets. It would need the loving and obsessive touch of modders, rather than a commercial hand. I don't want to see anymore ww2 games outside of hearts of iron style of global strategy for a bit.

WW2? Am I the only one whose absolutely sick of WW2?

I'm sorry but gtfo and give more cold war stuff please, Or some other era of history that doesn't have Americans touting their victories all the damn time and making Russians all look like evil communists.

WW2? Am I the only one whose absolutely sick of WW2?

I'm sorry but gtfo and give more cold war stuff please, Or some other era of history that doesn't have Americans touting their victories all the damn time and making Russians all look like evil communists.

I suggest you gtfo and cool down instad bashing others for their ideas. Cold war stuff? As far as I can tell the 'evil russians' lost that one too. :p

Please no political discussions here, thanks.

Nah. I prefer modern ArmA. I don't see why Bohemia should make a ww2 game, 'cuz someone in the community will anyways do a ww2 mod for their games 8D Besides, there is coming a open-world, realistic, tactical ww2 simulator called 1944 D-Day: Operation Overlord (ETA 2012). I'll give a link if anyones interested... http://1944game.com/

It's more easy to mod low tech equipment from high tech equipment than vice versa. If BIS created a WWII based game, why would they have continued support for all the modern gizmos we like when it's not even in the game?

Bring on WW2 expansion and let the core coders develope next generation game in the meantime. That would keep BIS in good cash flow.

Vietnam or return to mid-80s Cold War would be OK too.

Let's face it - mods - however good they are will never be the level of a proper official expansion. I mean voices, campaign, atmosphere, graphics, terrain, buildings...etc.

Let's face it - mods - however good they are will never be the level of a proper official expansion. I mean voices, campaign, atmosphere, graphics, terrain, buildings...etc.

Unless you count Queen's Gambit, lol. :D

I strongly disagree with your statement.:( There are a lot of modders which have released top notch addons for ArmA II. check BW Mod. Check PLA Mod, CSLA is WIP. Hell only our talented Island makers can keep up with original BIS Islands. Check DUALA, Panthera, Podagorsk just to name a few. You might be right concerning the campaigns, but when it comes to addon making I guess there are lot's of talented people around.:D

Just my 2 cents.

In any case I welcome everything that is enhancing the game, although there are already a few mods developing a WW II mod I wouldn't mind if BIS released some WW II stuff.

Kind regards