wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

hi, how to make your GPS show a map like pic?

1897078062.jpg1897078078.jpg

and how to select your assigned team? i.e I want to select my team blue to move there with a button. thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Pres CTRL+M for the GPS

I think it was Shift+one of the F1 or F2 Keys for Blue, or it was CTRL+F1 or F2

Real newbie here,

I have just ordered all the parts for my PC and have been watching all the youtube videos for Arma2 and OA. Can not wait to get playing it.

I have a couple of questions.

Are there any disadvantages to buying from steam? No CD?

I am interested in playing some of the MODS and not sure if I have to have the CD etc? OR if the steam version is more uptodate with fixes etc...?

Also, on the subject of MODS, once installed are they choosable? I mean can you play as normal and choose when to play them? OR do I have to remove them each time?

I am looking at getting ARMA2 and OA on a joint operations thing do I need the other addons?

Are there any disadvantages to buying from steam? No CD?

Unfortunately the updates arrive later for steam. I've heard there are other problems too, but don't know about them.

I am interested in playing some of the MODS and not sure if I have to have the CD etc? OR if the steam version is more uptodate with fixes etc...?

I think mods can be used with both steam and retail versions.

Also, on the subject of MODS, once installed are they choosable? I mean can you play as normal and choose when to play them? OR do I have to remove them each time?

You can choose, either by using a launcher, or by doing what I do and making different shortcuts for different mod combinations. If you use modfolders (which you should, you'll learn to use them in time, if not, someone else can explain, I'm sure) then you use them by adding, to the shortcut, the parameter -mod= and the names of the folders the mods are in. This way, by using different shortcuts you can enable/disable mods as you please.

I am looking at getting ARMA2 and OA on a joint operations thing do I need the other addons?

The DLC? British Armed Forces and Private Military Company are not fully fledged expansions. The latest patch for Combined Operations includes the lite versions of BAF and PMC, which means low-res textures and , I think, low quality sounds for the units they bring, and none of the campaings or missions that the DLC add.

Would anyone know how to help me get on the right track with making a single sound mod I don't like the m107 sound that I have heard in all sound mods I have tried. So I download a m107 clip of one shooting and used audacity to capture the points I want to make the sound needed and I downloaded BIS Tools but now I'm lost, what do I do now after I have got the clip I wanted...Please Help thanks

There was no mention in the Wiki about the Commanding and Order Channels of VON.

I have an idea how they work, but i would like to be sure. So can someone tell me...

Hi. I bought a boxed version of OA and now I want the original ARMA2. Also, to make this easy, let's pretend I'm a Spanish major and have never seen a computer before. Should I just get a boxed version of ARMA2 and install or should I uninstall OA then start with ARMA2 installation first then OA. I don't want to put another hole in the dry wall due to frustration (btw, I have a wall dedicated for punching holes into...conveniently, it's called my punching wall of frustration).

Also, I have Steam, but after 15 minutes of reading it seems like I should avoid a boxed/Steam product combo much like anyone should avoid a truck stop hooker.

Cheers!

Just bought ARMA2 and the Expansion set from STEAM - looks great -

BUT with this complex a game, a rules book would have been nice, and especially a list of key commands to print out - there's no way I remember all these unique key maps.

:confused:

SO: please any answers?

1. Is there a printable key command list anywhere?

2. Rules - are the rules accessible?

Thanks!

ICERAY2000

How do I pbo a mission file? YES I SEARCHED.

I have a mission.sqm file, say I wanna make it a pbo to put into my Arma2/missions folder or upload it so other people can play it.

I try to use cpbo but i get verification failed or something whne I run the .exe so that'sn ot an option.

This is really fucking bugging me now, as I can't find an answer anywhere, this is an asked question and I suggest a tutorial with a sticky.

Just bought ARMA2 and the Expansion set from STEAM - looks great -

BUT with this complex a game, a rules book would have been nice, and especially a list of key commands to print out - there's no way I remember all these unique key maps.

:confused:

SO: please any answers?

1. Is there a printable key command list anywhere?

2. Rules - are the rules accessible?

Thanks!

ICERAY2000

Loyalguard's work

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/1814/a2keylayout.png

You export it as a mission out of the editor.

I have the mission.sqm file..........................

I NEED TO PBO IT.

Did that pbo get red by itself or did I see wrong, it's gone now.

Thanks for the highlight, Lol.

Edited by Archosaurusrev

I have the mission.sqm file..........................

I NEED TO PBO IT.

Caps Lock is not going to help you.

Read what I said veeeery carefully. You do no export .sqm files out of the editor. You export .pbo files. I can't open ArmA 2 right now, but IIRC you do that by pressing "Save" or something like that, and then you select "Export as SP mission" Or MP, whatever.

Show some goddamn courtesy when someone is trying to help you.

There is no way to get a pbo from "Export to single missions."

I get a mission.sqm file which I need to pbo....

Suomesta? Luulisi että osaisi vastata! Mehän keksitiin lintupesula niin tämän pitäisi olla helppoa! :D /unrelated

Edited by Archosaurusrev

Nope. Doesn't work.

I am asking, how do I .pbo a .sqm file?

To not confuse people, I got the mission.sqm file from searching in documents for it.

Edited by Archosaurusrev

Just did it - its working :p

Editor > mission content you build > click save > name your mission eg 111_Archosaurusrev - choose from Save as: export to single missions...

search for "111_Archosaurusrev" on your hardisk

What the hell? Even this doesn't work.

Disregard everything, I think I got it now.

Thanks man, and Corcurssi, yeah I was wrong.

Every source i have seen says you only get a mission.sqm file which I see is straight out lies.

Edited by Archosaurusrev

I use Eliteness to extract PBOs and PBOView to pack them again (Eliteness won't do it for some reason...)

Hi. I bought a boxed version of OA and now I want the original ARMA2. Also, to make this easy, let's pretend I'm a Spanish major and have never seen a computer before. Should I just get a boxed version of ARMA2 and install or should I uninstall OA then start with ARMA2 installation first then OA. I don't want to put another hole in the dry wall due to frustration (btw, I have a wall dedicated for punching holes into...conveniently, it's called my punching wall of frustration).

Also, I have Steam, but after 15 minutes of reading it seems like I should avoid a boxed/Steam product combo much like anyone should avoid a truck stop hooker.

Cheers!

Hi, you must install A2 first, then OA. So once you get A2 you should uninstall OA again, before installing A2.

That will give you the option to run Combined Ops, A2 classic and OA standalone. Most of the time you would want to run the Combined Ops.

-OP

Does the steam package ARMA II: Combined Operations come with the DLC? It does not list them as being available for purchase, and when I check the campaign list I see the Black Gauntlet campaign, which searching around for seems to be the name of the PMC campaign. When looking at the list of expansions in the CO load up it has a green check next to the DLC's listed, though it also features a buy new option, not sure if that check means anything then?

Being new to Arma 2 I'm reading a lot of the forum topics to help myself get up to speed. Heck, just learning the shortcuts/nomenclature (ACE, BIS, Domi, etc.) is an education in itself.

Lots of the 'improve performance/video tweeking' mention opening up the Arma2OA.cfg file and change AToC from '7' to '0'.

1. Is there a 'proper' way to open the arma2oa.cfg file? The only way I've been able to do it is rename the orig to Arma2oa.bak, copy/paste it to desktop, rename that (duplicate) .bak to a .txt file, make the change, save it back to the orig location and then rename it back to .cfg.

2. What is AToC and what does it do (i.e. why is '0' better than '7')?

3. Finally, in the advanced vid setting there is an 'HDR Quality' (Mine is currently set 'high'). What is HDR?