Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

I host a ofp and arma 2 server and theres alot of people i know that dont play arma 2 but play on the xr ofp server daily and most of these players are veteran CTI and CTF players that rather play ofp then arma.

Feedback from these people could explain the situation, maybe? :)

Guess most people like to install the game they've bought and enjoy it.

Except fans - how many time do you think people "must" spend to get what they have payed for?

Isnt it obvious that BIS didnt have enough time to test Armed Assault + Arma2 before release?

Did BIS devs ever played through ArmA and Arma2?

Guess most people like to install the game they've bought and enjoy it.

Except fans - how many time do you think people "must" spend to get what they have payed for?

Isnt it obvious that BIS didnt have enough time to test Armed Assault + Arma2 before release?

Did BIS devs ever played through ArmA and Arma2?

Sure they did.

They just didn't have the time we have had until now.

Lemme think they are a 5 for just testing/gaming - 14 days x 5 = 70 days of testing.

We are a 5.000 active gamers x 300 days = 1.500.000 days of testing.

(AAaaallll very, very roughly estimated ... )

And you sure know that the silliest people find the biggest bugs?

They behave like a serious gamer wouldn't even think of.

It's an immensely complex game, with open ends per definitionem and people cry: Hey - I am hanging in a tree with a parachute, cannot finish my mission! Bug, bug, bug! Money back, money back !! :eek:

Leaning back in their velvet fat consumer sofa ... I don't give a damn about those.

They should really do some arcadish BF.

The complexity of open games like BIS creat them is really nothing for those.

@Herbal Influence

Dont put words in my mouth that I didnt said.

The game is ambitious and complex but why the quality control/assurance + Betatests are playing a minor role since ~10 years @BIS? Wouldnt it be better if they release a proper tested game and upgrade working features/content with patches? Just a thought...

BIS have successfully created a gaming niche where competitors are still nonexistent. Thats a great job! :)

It's all in the time and money. I really wish they would put more time and money into QA testing but it's a very expensive process and if they can't afford it then the best they can do is get it as close as possible. That said there's still a number of bugs that were there on release that could have easily been picked up on 20 mins of play in the campaign by anyone.

But yoiu also have to take into account for the conflict bugs. In the process of fixing some other bug or issue it can often create a bug elsewhere (more than often, without proper time and calculation it's almost 100% chance, with proper time and calculation there's still a 50% chance). When finding a series of bugs you'll compile a list and then correct those bugs then do a quick QA session and correct anything else you find.

Problem being that each time you fix something you can break something else that doesn't get picked up in testing. With a linear shooter that isn't as likely as another couple of plays through the game will find those issues. With ArmA 2, even with 20 people testing through the campaign alone they still can't possibly account for even 50% of the variables.

This is why open beta testing is great, and why it works for the Arma 2 beta patches as well. Larger QA group without too much extra money involved.

Yeah, another thing they could fix is the in-game voice. Sure they fixed the bugs that made it crash the game/server, but they didn't fix the fact that for a lot of people the volume of in-game chat is so low that you can't understand anything being said.

The best thing about this game is you can do anything.

Check the second link in my sig. ;)

If you like COD gameplay then you will not like this game and that is the bottom line.

I don't mind COD (although I have only played the second one) and I love Arma2. I suspect you are writing this because there is some sort of general agreement on this board that there are two kinds of players, those who like Arma2 and those who like every other fps.

^ This. I'm exactly the same. I like MW2, and I love Arma2.

The best thing about this game is you can do anything.

Check the second link in my sig. ;)

I was refering to soemthing that would make getting into the game easier, not harder. The problem is one currently gets into a game and can't talk to anyone on voice because it's just 1 big failure, and getting any 3rd party voice communication is just not going to work well in a public server.

I was refering to soemthing that would make getting into the game easier, not harder. The problem is one currently gets into a game and can't talk to anyone on voice because it's just 1 big failure, and getting any 3rd party voice communication is just not going to work well in a public server.

You get what you get, and the people that actually like the game enough will stick around learn what they need to have for the best experience.

Also public servers never seem to work out in ArmA2 unless they are constantly being run by dedicated people who can get in there and organize.

While I like the idea of public servers playing a bigger role in the community, sadly most of the actual serious game play comes from the closed servers with groups.

Thats because of some Idiots that join on public servers and then Teamkill everyone and destroy the whole base, thats why I play only with my Clan or in some League

sadly most of the actual serious game play comes from the closed servers with groups.

99% of what is played on closed servers is against bots and I for one struggle to accept this as "serious game play". If A2T were bundled with ACE and had an auto-connect to server specified voice host capability (without requiring the mission to be edited as it does now) it could easily provide the voice solution public servers need. Unfortunately I think this is unlikely to happen as ACE and its developers appear focussed on co-op play. Thankfully there will be Project Reality.

just like in ARMA 1 - coop servers killed multiplayer... HOLD servers still alive but people leaving as there's %99.999 coop players and not a single player versus player multilayer model. Shame on you coop nerds - enjoy playing with bots!!!:(

^ This. I'm exactly the same. I like MW2, and I love Arma2.

I agree with Zipper thats a bullsh*t stereotype, though its funny its not quite true.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

99% of what is played on closed servers is against bots and I for one struggle to accept this as "serious game play". If A2T were bundled with ACE and had an auto-connect to server specified voice host capability (without requiring the mission to be edited as it does now) it could easily provide the voice solution public servers need. Unfortunately I think this is unlikely to happen as ACE and its developers appear focussed on co-op play. Thankfully there will be Project Reality.

^This.

This game is beautiful to look at and is a very good sim as well. So why isn't more popular? As it is now, I only play weekends because not many people are online during the week.

lack of serious PvP game modes for me.

i've heard alot of people telling"ah berzerk is shitty,well you can shoot some real players but basically is populated of lone wolfes.." then they turned on coop

maps but the get bored of dummy AI of this game.

maybe if this game was more PvP oriented with some serious game-mode the situation could be different.

waiting PR to solve this problem.

i would like to see some serious clanbase and esl tournaments for this game(there are but no many clan are playing on it) and more people on server.

Edited by ***LeGeNDK1LLER***

PR ain´t saving the world if players don´t change their minds.

What prevents ppl to play PvP right now? Themselves?

No standardised server & client is the big barrier, this is what PR will bring first & foremost.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

there are no PvP game mode focalized on teamwork(which is the biggest lack on arma 2 PvP maps..).

they will bring it simply because the game is structurated on it.

you can't cap a flag alone,you can't cap a flag which is a mile away from the first(cuz you cap flag in order..),you can build usefull stuff like firebase with other guys so even for this reason people will advance togheter,you make points by building these structures or by driving a tank or if you spot an enemy;so the people even if they want to stay on the top of scorelist they can reach that position by cooperating and not only by killing people like rambo.. and more and more.

so basically it's a revolution on PvP maps.and god thx for that.

noone has had these brillant ideas or noone has implemented it through 8 years from ofp to arma 2.DEV TEAM are a big number of people and they are pro in what they are doing( PR was elected mod of the years guys..),they have made something like 15/20 mod i can't remember exactly.

so yeah you can even jump inside on a pr server and playing like a lone wolf..

that why probably you are telling:

but you will wast your time cuz a berzerk is enough for your purpose and you can even being kicked from the server if you lone wolfing..edit:and if you gain more second for respawn each times you die well probably you'll stop to act like a rambo...

basically people need just an option which was not avaible at the moment:to play in a game mode teamwork oriented.and probably they will appreciate cuz is not a bad idea.

serious PvP game modes which are able to get fully advantage of arma 2

potential?

hell ya maybe i'm a dreamer but PR will save the world mate :p

p.s.sorry for raping english gramm as always :o

there are no PvP game mode focalized on teamwork(which is the biggest lack on arma 2 PvP maps..).

they will bring it simply because the game is structurated on it.

you can't cap a flag alone,you can't cap a flag which is a mile away from the first(cuz you cap flag in order..),you can build usefull stuff like firebase with other guys so even for this reason people will advance togheter,you make points by building these structures or by driving a tank or if you spot an enemy;so the people even if they want to stay on the top of scorelist they can reach that position by cooperating and not only by killing people like rambo.. and more and more.

so basically it's a revolution on PvP maps.and god thx for that.

noone has had these brillant ideas or noone has implemented it through 8 years from ofp to arma 2.DEV TEAM are a big number of people and they are pro in what they are doing( PR was elected mod of the years guys..),they have made something like 15/20 mod i can't remember exactly.

so yeah you can even jump inside on a pr server and playing like a lone wolf..

that why probably you are telling:

but you will wast your time cuz a berzerk is enough for your purpose and you can even being kicked from the server if you lone wolfing..

but basically people need just an option which was not avaible at the moment:to play in a game mode teamwork oriented.and probably they will appreciate cuz is not a bad idea.

serious PvP game modes which are able to get fully advantage of arma 2

potential?

hell ya maybe i'm a dreamer but PR will save the world mate :p

p.s.sorry for raping english gramm as always :o

I agree with you mostly, and PR looks great and will definitely give a boost to ArmA PvP. I am just a little frustrated that all these like minded people seem to ignore Advance and Secure (AAS), which delivers a good portion of what you are looking for (Focus on teamplay, capping flags in order, scorelists don't matter, roles, dynamic tactical gameplay,...) :yay: qwertz

Edited by qwertz

@BF2PR Stuff: I know, been playing since the first public release.

For me, the bottom line is:

The whole problem are the players (people..), they need a mod that FORCE them to cooperate with each other. That isn´t related to the game.

We have some PvP gamemodes (since simple CTF to a more complex AAS like Devastation(who trie to imitate PR) and similar modes), but if those dont work, well, thats because of (again) players (BCing,Lone Wolfing, TKing, whatever).

If all these people need a mod to open their eyes to see what was here from the start... not my problem. Im not complaining about PR, I just dont think they are salving the world here.

No standardised server & client is the big barrier, this is what PR will bring first & foremost.

Yeah, thats a problem, maybe the major problem in all series MP's but now with tools like Six and Yoma, much of it can be solved.

EDIT: If it attract more players, the better for everyone!

Edited by Smurf

mate there will be also a migration from PR bf2 to pr for arma 2 when will come out(as you may know by looking pr forum).so we will have more teamwork oriented players.surely it's gonna help the mod :)

p.s.

devastation has not all the features of AAS for pr..is just a bad copy.

It's strange how despite being told that the only plans for PR:Arma2 at the moment are British units and vehicles, people still think that it's drastically going to change the MP scene... :rolleyes:

It's strange how despite being told that the only plans for PR:Arma2 at the moment are British units and vehicles, people still think that it's drastically going to change the MP scene... :rolleyes:

the first release will be about british and insurgent on particular game-mode

called "insurgency"probably(maybe they will add something more...).

but they have also confirmed they will add AAS-skirmish game mode,russian-rebel fighters (like cechenians..) chinese ecc. edit:US army of course ecc.

is all written right there.just take a look if you dont believe me.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/77777-project-reality-arma2.html

One of the biggest things people love so much about PR is how it enforces teamwork, even though it does so artificially (aka adding features that have nothing to do with realism or even detract from the realism). It's not just the Arma 2 players that wouldn't work as a team unless forced to, it's the case most of the time with players that don't know eachother playing a game together. Why it's like that is more of a question for Psychology forums, but that's just what is happening.

I don't really understand why PR is focusing so much on units new (addon) stuff when they don't have the gameplay itself (missions) up and running. The latter is what this game is really lacking, while the former is just icing on the cake.

Edited by galzohar