Sign in to follow this  
madbull

[R3F] Artillery and Logistic: Manual artillery and advanced logistic (mission script)

@tromac :

All sounds good in your ARMA2.RPT file. But you must wait longer. The result is writen in streaming (line after line).

BTW, the ammo ARTY_30Rnd_105mmWP_M119 has exactly the same ballistic properties than the HE one (in ArmA 2). There is no need to generate a table for it.

But the R3F arti-log currently disable all "BIS' ARTY module" 's ammo type. This is due to some compatibility problems to fix. It'll be avalaible in a future version.

Madbull: Thanks for the prompt reply. It's 2am here and I have to go to work today but really wanted to work on this.

So does that mean smoke and SADARM and Illum will not work either?

So does that mean smoke and SADARM and Illum will not work either?

Exactly.

This is due to the fact that BIS decided to make the WP, Smoke, Illumi, ... dependant of the BIS' ARTY module.

So you need to activate this module to do it working. That causes some problems :

- double aiming interface

- the BIS' arty module delete any fired shell and create another one replacing the first (yes, that's weird)

I already tried to init some specific stuff (i.e. only those needed to get WP, somke, ...) from the BIS' ARTY module but I wasn't totally satisfied.

I will try again later (it's already in the TODO list in my first message).

BTW, I think the best thing to do is to create a new addon which create is own smoke, WP and so on.

It's seems simpler to do this than try to use partially the BIS' ARTY module (which probably conduct to an instable and mess status).

Edited by madbull

@Madbulll,

Sorry you are correct, my thinking last night was kinda backwards and I was not thinking clearly due to lack of sleep. Everything is good, looking for ward to implementation of additional ammo type! Also things are working very well after we set the precision to 10 meters in the config from 1.75 which helps it become more realistic, along with disabling the map click. Also love the non-movable FDC. If I get a chance you should come see us operate in our training server with fire missions sometime Madbull, I would love for you to see us in action and see how much we really appreciate this addon.

Also we are not really using it but noticed a bug where a player who is in a lets say humvee that gets loaded in C130 is that player ends up being in some random place in the sky, and when you unload the vehicle the player remains and is no longer in the vehicle and begins to fall or something. Would be nice if the Humvee showed up inside though.

@Alderman :

No problem about the long/lat ;)

> "If I get a chance you should come see us operate in our training server with fire missions sometime Madbull, I would love for you to see us in action and see how much we really appreciate this addon."

Nice to see that you really appreciate this system. I have currently not enough time to see that. But I think if you make demo/tutorials videos (or pages) on how to use arty in ArmA 2, that should be a very good thing.

> "noticed a bug where a player..."

What was the player situation at this moment ? In the vehicle ? Moving something ? etc... ?

Are you able to repeat the bug. If so could you describe me the exact scenario ?

Thanks.

hi, what a great update!

i finally understand how to make a new ammo, and it's working, but something odd, the M109 155mm supposed to fire more then 5.5 km away, and it can't, the initial velocity is 1000. do you know how improve the range?

one more thing, in the artillery computer, in the correction i need to enter the direction of the FO from the target, it's a 3 digits number so i realize it's on 360 scale but it should be a 6400 scale, as is in the artillery world we don't use 360 degree scale.

i can't wait for the next release which will hopfully have the rest of ammo type and guns operated by AI.

thank you for your hard work,

seansharlos.

Yes a millirad scale for both axis would be great

Does anybody here know an addon or script similar to noubers aiming system ?

hi, what a great update!

i finally understand how to make a new ammo, and it's working, but something odd, the M109 155mm supposed to fire more then 5.5 km away, and it can't, the initial velocity is 1000. do you know how improve the range?

one more thing, in the artillery computer, in the correction i need to enter the direction of the FO from the target, it's a 3 digits number so i realize it's on 360 scale but it should be a 6400 scale, as is in the artillery world we don't use 360 degree scale.

i can't wait for the next release which will hopfully have the rest of ammo type and guns operated by AI.

seansharlos.

It works well enough by going with a normal azimuth vs mils, so I think for the sake of allowing the plugin to be used by novice users and advanced users like our FO's in the 3rd MD it be left to a normal 360 degree heading for the direction from FO to target etc. The precision with this mod is overwhelming accurate by default anyway, which is why we editing the config from 1.75 meter precision to 10 meter precision (which is what it should be with only having a 8 digit grid reference).

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Yes a millirad scale for both axis would be great

Does anybody here know an addon or script similar to noubers aiming system ?

I have already recommended such a system to make the aiming easier to get on target, not sure if this will be done, but hope it does.

Edited by Alderman

hi, what a great update!

seansharlos.

seansharlos you say you have other ammunition types working? Could you please provide the necessary info for a novice such as me to use it? Maybe providing the actual table files?

Many thanks.

Madbull, as an ex-Australian Army gunner, CP Operator and FO I thank you so much for this. It really is the best artillery script available. I'm running courses for our group on all aspects of artillery use based on your work.

seansharlos you say you have other ammunition types working? Could you please provide the necessary info for a novice such as me to use it? Maybe providing the actual table files?

i did a 155mm HE table working with the m109 form the US Vehicles pack, i don't know how to make more types of shell (like smoke, WP...). but i want to...

someone know how to increase the range in the table?

@seansharlos :

> "do you know how improve the range?" and "someone know how to increase the range in the table? "

You seem to want to create a new ammo with a different charge ? I already said it in this topic. You must create a tiny addon. It's quite "simple" :

Your addon consist of a config.cpp file which adds an entry in the CfgMagazines and an entry in the CfgAmmo.

You can set the initSpeed and the airFriction you want.

The better thing to do is to extract the existing CfgMagazines and CfgAmmo entries of the ammo you want to modify (use the unRAP and unPBO tools from Kegetys) to get a code template.

Help : http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Weapons_settings

Maybe I will release a tiny addon which add different charges (and might smoke, illumi ?).

About the 360 or 6400 scale :

The default compass in ArmA 2 has two graduations : 360 and 6000 (not 6400).

The better to do, as Alderman said, is to keep the 360 graduations. I can't force all users to get an addon to modify their compass.

It's enough precise and not too much unrealistic.

@Hbomber110 :

> "Does anybody here know an addon or script similar to noubers aiming system ?"

I'm aware of how much it'll be more confortable to have an aiming system with two independant axis. As a mission script (so not addon), it seems that there no nice technical solution to do that.

I'm doing my best to add this kind of feature.

If the R3F arti-log comes to an addon system, there will be this system and different charges for standard ammo (M119, ...).

i don't have diffrent types of shells, i have the same shell (HE) with diffrent tables, like diffrent charges.

if your work goes the addon way. Im more than sure that my clan will include it in our standard addon list as well as the ACE team (cross fingers).

I do not think it needs to be integrated into the ACE Mod since it is completely mission side. For addons like mando I strongly support the ACE team adding the stuff in since it has content that cannot be contained within a mission file.

If you keep this mission sided it will be used greatly by those who want it.

Whether an addon version is ultimately released or not please also maintain the script version, it's the only way improvements to the fidelity of the game can be extended to public servers. Mando Missile and this (and before this, Jones' Mortars) are outstanding examples of what can be achieved without having to bury potential players in addon requirements.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

;1567223']For addons like mando I strongly support the ACE team adding the stuff in since it has content that cannot be contained within a mission file.

Incorrect actually, it is already possible to include MMA within a mission download and I know Mandoble is currently working toward releasing it in a more optimised fashion (smaller download) specifically for this purpose.

great work...

how to give these specifications to only specific units?

i wanna use this scripts with domi...

i'll place logistic-artillery squad and base then give them these specifications.

some units will have artillery and another units have logistic features.

Edited by murtoo

I agree with Alderman. With this particular suite, I think it probably best to leave it up to the mission maker. It will also mean less work for madbull.

As many have said .. EXCELLENT work!

Only issue I have is sometimes when I have chosen coordinates and click compute, I get that white screen saying compute and goes on for ever and have to close arma through task manager.

Has anyone else had that issue and of so how was it resolved?

Thaks for the great work.

As many have said .. EXCELLENT work!

Only issue I have is sometimes when I have chosen coordinates and click compute, I get that white screen saying compute and goes on for ever and have to close arma through task manager.

Has anyone else had that issue and of so how was it resolved?

Thaks for the great work.

I had this happen when I had AI controlled Artillery on the map.

About addon side vs mission script side, we already discussed it. I'm totally pro-mission-script-side. But an addon version could be released in the future when the system will reach a nearly final version.

@murtoo :

> "how to give these specifications to only specific units?"

Follow all the steps of the instruction manual.

But in the step 4 replace the #include "..." in the init.sqf by something like that :

[] spawn
{
waitUntil {!(isNull player)};
if (player in [specific_slot1, specific_slot2, specific_slot3]) then
{
	execVM "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\init.sqf";
};
};

I haven't tested it, but it should look like that.

Note : give a name of your specific slots in the mission editor (specific_slot1, specific_slot2, ...)

CaptainBravo :

> "I get that white screen saying compute and goes on for ever and have to close arma through task manager"

Thanks for the issue report.

That's strange. Did you have edit the config.sqf files ?

What is your microprocessor (CPU) model ?

How many time did you wait before closing ArmA ?

Have you got some error in your ARMA2.RPT file ?

What is the input data for calculation (battery, target and ammo) ?

@Manzilla :

> "I had this happen when I had AI controlled Artillery on the map."

There is IMO no relation with "AI controlled Artillery". What do you mean by "AI controlled Artillery" ?

And if you're able to reproduce the issue, can you give the same kind of informations I asked to CaptainBravo above ?

Edited by madbull

About addon side vs mission script side, we already discussed it. I'm totally pro-mission-script-side. But an addon version could be released in the future when the system will reach a nearly final version.

@murtoo :

> "how to give these specifications to only specific units?"

Follow all the steps of the instruction manual.

But in the step 4 replace the #include "..." in the init.sqf by something like that :

[] spawn
{
waitUntil {!(isNull player)};
if (player in [specific_slot1, specific_slot2, specific_slot3]) then
{
	execVM "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\init.sqf";
};
};

I haven't tested it, but it should look like that.

Note : give a name of your specific slots in the mission editor (specific_slot1, specific_slot2, ...)

CaptainBravo :

> "I get that white screen saying compute and goes on for ever and have to close arma through task manager"

Thanks for the issue report.

That's strange. Did you have edit the config.sqf files ?

What is your microprocessor (CPU) model ?

How many time did you wait before closing ArmA ?

Have you got some error in your ARMA2.RPT file ?

@Manzilla :

> "I had this happen when I had AI controlled Artillery on the map."

There is IMO no relation with "AI controlled Artillery". What do you mean by "AI controlled Artillery" ?

And if you're able to reproduce the issue, can you give the same kind of informations I asked to CaptainBravo above ?

It's the same thing I discussed in the beginning of this thread. No need to explain it again, I was just confirming it for him that I've seen it happen before.

It's the same thing I discussed in the beginning of this thread. No need to explain it again, I was just confirming it for him that I've seen it happen before.

Yes but you didn't send me the informations I need to understand (and fix) what is wrong.

The problem is not linked to AI. This is only calculations and algorithms.

This issue never happened on my PC and on any PC of the R3F players.

In addition there is a safety in the algorithm which abort the calculations when it takes too much time (because of the poor arithmetic precision in ArmA 2, i.e. 1.5+1.5+1.5 can be equals to 4.49 or 4.51 but not exactly 4.5).

Edited by madbull

So hey madbull, I figured out that reading the map in ArmA2 needs to be done incorrectly. Since latitude is reserved with numbers increasing as you go down instead of doing your easting, then northing you have to do southing to obtain the correct 8 digit grid. I checked this by using the map click option for a short time. So might be helpful to include some details about that so other military guys or those who know how to read a grid map do not read it correctly, but the way it must be read in arma2 and even ACE Mod.

Anyway thank you so much, we have been doing a lot of tests and everything is working fine. Also I put this addEventHandler ["HandleDamage", {false}]; in the init for a mobile FDC (have not testing with the FDC thats static and cannot move, but after moving the FDC out into the field it was able to take damage. I am not advanced with scripting so I might be wrong with that eventhandler.

thx i tried a few times and i solved specific_slot stuff with unit's names...

its working great but sometimes the buttons in action menu being invisible. you can use them without seeing. may be i made a mistake but couldnt understand why... when this happens artillery computer looking wrong too.(without texts)

i'm putting a consturction interface module and the engineers can build what ever they want and they can transport or etc :)

working great with domination 1.33 i've never seen an error or wrong think.

only team status window have some issues. no texts seems.(not show status. team status only)

very easy install. people can use this version on every server.

thanks for help again. i'll work more on it.