Sign in to follow this  
.kju

Final release of CAA1

It is even sadder to see some people interpreting kju's post from their a$$es as if he was asking for money for what he had done. As if support he mentioned can only be in monetary terms.

Many will see the probable reason he quit by looking at the mirror,.....always demanding but never appreciating or investing the time to learning/helping improve community projects/efforts.

If you're talking about my ass, I'd suggest you take your head out of there and read the first post with thought. Q wanted to get paid, he stated it quite clearly.

And since you aren't on his credit list, he's also calling you "ungrateful, lazy and stupid" for not making addons or missions for his "1-man project".

If you're talking about my ass, I'd suggest you take your head out of there and read the first post with thought. Q wanted to get paid, he stated it quite clearly.

And since you aren't on his credit list, he's also calling you "ungrateful, lazy and stupid" for not making addons or missions for his "1-man project".

Only if you can read English in a different way than i can. And because you don't know Q at all

Q is right about one thing though: this community is less and less mature, instead of the other way around, just by reading this kind of posts

Only if you can read English in a different way than i can. And because you don't know Q at all

Q is right about one thing though: this community is less and less mature, instead of the other way around, just by reading this kind of posts

"This job should have been done by a paid contractor in the fist place in my humble opinion."

"It is astonishing how ungrateful, lazy and stupid so many people have become.

Without question you are a product of society and what power want you to become."

"Only a change in people's attitude, to compensate hobby developers by donating[...]"

To be frank the only immature post so far was at the start of this thread. I don't care what kind of personal friend he is to you, the above is how he addresses the public (=everyone else).

"This job should have been done by a paid contractor in the fist place in my humble opinion."

It means this job should have been undertaken by BIS, in order to take full advantage of all the content they have created.

"It is astonishing how ungrateful, lazy and stupid so many people have become.

Without question you are a product of society and what power want you to become."

Well yes, i agree with that.

First, it is so many ppl, not everyone. There are a huge number of clients who are demanding, asking and spamming PMs with their requests, all from ppl who are doing this for free, in their own time. Asking nicely is one thing, demanding and or bashing is another. It seems that as of lately, this happens more often, especially from new ppl buying this game

"Only a change in people's attitude, to compensate hobby developers by donating[...]"

hosting cost money

bandwidth cost money

All of this is provided for free by a few selected number from this community. Donating != paying for a product, but rather showing support for it and the services associated with that.

Q thanks for all your herculean efforts. As someone who only plays Arma 2 in SP this addon is priceless to me. Considering the poor standard of SP and campaign missions that BIS released with A2 the ability to play cwc and Arma missions using the A2 engine makes your CAA1 and OAC projects some of the most important mods for people who aren't interested in multi-player gaming. I sincerely hope that you don't completely abandon the community. Best of luck in 2010 you surely deserve it.

@Celery

I suggest you take a step back and a deep breath. The reasons given by Q in the first post are far from clear (there is clearly a lot that he has not said). He is certainly not asking to get paid as far as I can tell. As far as a lack of support from BIS you are guessing at what he is alluding to - and I think your guess is way off the mark.

My personal feelings are that it would have been a nice gesture to the community if BIS themselves had converted the A1 Islands for use in A2 and perhaps given us the ability to enjoy A1 missions and content in the new A2 engine (even if this required a registry check to ensure A1 was installed). I'm a bit surprised that they haven't. Since BIS didn't do this I am very appreciative that Q and others have allowed us to enjoy this content using the A2 engine.

I dont get some peoples problems! Wined your necks in!

Anyways thank you kju, hope you change your mind!

I think some of you aren't even reading his post. You claim he's not asking to be paid? Well, you must understand English to a higher degree than I do, because I take this statement:

Only a change in people's attitude, to compensate hobby developers by donating

To obviously be talking about some form of monetary compensation for his work. Not only that, but you all seem to be missing the part where he expresses his disgust about every single one of you, unless you are on his credit list. Here it is again, in case you missed it:

It is astonishing how ungrateful, lazy and stupid so many people have become.

Without question you are a product of society and what power want you to become.

And I'm with Celery on this one. I too was around in the OFP days, despite my rather recent join date. I wasn't registered, but I did visit the forums often. I happened to witness many of these exact same events. It makes no sense that people keep falling for it, despite rather clear and blatantly obvious evidence.

I spendt some hours here is the result:

CAA1 Full Installer with classic and Autumn plants.

HTTP download and torrent

i included the batch file to start the game its very simple made.

i hope i did no mistake.

Edited by Kochleffel

Kochleffel BIG THX! for CAA1.exe files. :bounce3: and BIG THX for kju

Edited by Keshman

I will chime in and say "thank you" for all your work. As you can see I have been following the OFP/ARMA/ARMA2 games from the very beginning, just not posting often. Always watching from the weeds. I am not a modder, heavy gamer, not PC literate when it comes to making addons or islands so things like this are appreciated.

Sorry to see you end this project, amazing work. Hopefully you do realize there are many of us older, long time fans of the games that appreciate the work. Maybe us saying thanks more often will help motivate and continue.

Again, thanks, and best wishes on your future endeavors.

Zipper and Celery are right,

you did great work, but you do not neccessarily have to

bother us with drama.

You might want to get paid, but hey, thats your free-time,

if you want to earn money, spent your free time in a way,

you might find a job.

With the more and more common highest levels of expectations to hobby developer work,and at the same time unwillingness or even inability of new people to get into it orto spend time for their hobby, I come more and more to the conclusion that this will ultimately kill of community development in the long run.

Only a change in people's attitude, to compensate hobby developers by donating,

to take time to read the provided documentation and to familiarize with Your hobby,

might be elements to balance the situation somewhat. Time will tell.

If you are interpreting this as asking for money you clearly have a problem with either Q or English.

He is complaining that the burden this community is putting on a so few devs is too big and demanding and that there is a clear lack of interest to dev work in the community. He thinks this will kill the community.

Possible solutions to get out of this dilemma and to have more hobby developers, he thinks the following might help in the future;

1) change in people's attitude

2) compensate hobby developers by donating

3) take time to read the provided documentation and to familiarize with your hobby.

he says otherwise the community will die!

English class over :rolleyes:

what cross said^^

@takko: he already has a job mind you

1) change in people's attitude

2) compensate hobby developers by donating

3) take time to read the provided documentation and to familiarize with your hobby.

Optionally you can do it because you have fun modelling/coding.

Sorry to see it come to this. But i can understand ur motivations. Thanks for all the help u gave us.

Goodluck in whatever u plan to do next.

I don't understand, what is the problem to discuss. Some person had an idea, started to develop it, made some mod. As I have read at this forums, lots of community members said tons of words of gratitudes to Q and about his work. And what's next? That was this person's only idea and mod, his hobby but no one other's. So, I don't understand the first post - had anybody forced topicstarter to make this mod? Had anybody tried to make him develop it in existing way? No. And I don't understand, what's the reason to make such drama.

Thanks for the great work at making CAA1, hope you do continue :(

I don't see any drama, only people trying to troll :)

What's so hard to understand,

He just writes down the reason why is giving up on his hobby. Ofcourse the reason isn't because he thinks its what he hoped for it to be, if so he probably wouldn't leave.

U can discuss the way he wrote it (or even disaproves his opinion) but id prefer a proper honoust goodbye post then that he leaves quitly, because he surely will be missed.

I dont see much drama either. Q is, like the rest of us, just doing this as a hobby. When the hobby is not fun nor rewarding anymore its best to focus on something else (I guess he will be back, he is an BISoholic like the rest of us;) ).

About the "money-drama": I cant claim any higher english, but I do not read anything from his post about he wanting to get paid.

About a payed contractor doing this, I agree. They should have made this as a included part of arma2 and not let the community do it. Its too good to let go. Now the community, Q, did it. But think if it was a release from BIS as an expansion? So much better. They could have paid a contractor to do it, just like they did with queens gambit.

About donating. I doubt he meant money. People can donate time, effort and help. Thats the way I read it.

How many games that are released also contain the entire content of their preceding games in the series? I don't understand why anyone thinks BI should have done this...

With the more and more common highest levels of expectations to hobby developer work,

and at the same time unwillingness or even inability of new people to get into it or

to spend time for their hobby, I come more and more to the conclusion that this will

ultimately kill of community development in the long run.

Only a change in people's attitude, to compensate hobby developers by donating,

to take time to read the provided documentation and to familiarize with Your hobby,

might be elements to balance the situation somewhat. Time will tell.

Don't agree :) I think the attitude is on the modders to cultivate. If you don't make mods & addons because YOU like to see them, then don't do them. It's got to be done because it's something you wish to see, and use, otherwise you're destined for disappointment, particularly if the mod doesn't get the airspace it perhaps deserves. Everyone else is welcome to use & comment, but really the onus is on the developer to like what it is he's doing, and do it because of that. I don't see any shortage or downturn in modding output for ArmA2.

IMO natch :)

The only reason I would have used CAA1 would have been for the Afghan Village and Avgani maps that are in my eyes the closest to ArmA2 quality, but they weren't worth it for several gigabytes.

I certainly appreciate how much effort has gone into the CAA1 project, it but it's hardly something I would pay for, nor something i'd expect BIS to pay for. I'd rather see them make it easier, and provide more documentation (not saying they don't already) for people to make new maps of ArmA2 standard, such as Podagorsk for example.

Would love to see Avgani and Afghan Village get the Sgt Ace Everon treatment...

Edited by Daniel

How many games that are released also contain the entire content of their preceding games in the series? I don't understand why anyone thinks BI should have done this...

Because if BI doesn't do it, the guy actually doing it is getting flakked to hell about, amongst other issues, copyright issues. Probably one of the elements why Kju has been rather irritated, I clearly remember a lil incident about this subject few months ago.

Games I like, IL2 is one example.

A reason for BI to do this is that they can sell arma1 one more time like an expansion :) I would buy it for sure!

Imagine to have Arma2 + OA + ARMA1(QG included) in one official installment.

Littlebirds, strykers, sahrani, people in shorts and so on ;)

If you are interpreting this as asking for money you clearly have a problem with either Q or English.

You either have a problem with English or valid points if you refuse to acknowledge what "paid contractor" or "donate" means. Why would he mention donations unless he hasn't gotten any and got upset over it? And since he was doing something what he deemed BIS ought to be paying someone for, it's quite logical and psychologically probable that he wanted to be that paid contractor.

And even if we pretend that monetary compensation is the farthest thing on his mind, he's still mouthing off every person who's not on his credit list because they didn't make addons, missions or shrines for his mod, and even as someone on the list I'd feel a little insulted if I contributed to his mod and then he calls it a "1-man project". Q's statements are simply arrogant.

He just writes down the reason why is giving up on his hobby.

He has given up on the same hobby several times now and always come back. His dramatic departures were old news even in OFP, I remember quipping him about his impending comeback in a very similar thread over 5 years ago.

Games I like, IL2 is one example.

What are your other examples, if I may ask? IL-2 is one game that's been improved over many years with expansions and upgraded releases.

Edited by Celery