Sign in to follow this  
astral54r

DCS: A-10C Warthog

so i bought blackshark back when it came out, this worth my money?

If you are a fan of ED's games, you can't afford not to have it.

I'd put my money on this being the highest fidelity, challenging military simulator ever released. It really is something else, you'll know how in depth DCS games are from BS but this takes it up a notch again. Make some holes with your GAU-8 or drop a GPS guided bomb from 20,000ft this baby can do it all.

Just make sure you have a decent CPU. The game is not GPU intensive.
The game is very CPU intensive, but also GPU intensive. It's in no case any lighter than say, Crysis.

But obviously the game is more CPU centric due to it's terrain, file operations and AI.

Well she has arrived gents...

I am now the proud owner of an ohhhh so pretty TM HOTAS Warthog.

I had the biggest smile on my face all day, its past unbelievable. This thing is imaculate, it really is like they have just stripped the control system out of the real thing. Totally plug and play with the game (credit to ED), does the exact same functions as the real thing. Down to the spring release switches for example on the speed brake, which again being the same as the real thing really makes using the speed brake so much easier.

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Well she has arrived gents...

I am now the proud owner of an ohhhh so pretty TM HOTAS Warthog.

I had the biggest smile on my face all day, its past unbelievable. This thing is imaculate, it really is like they have just stripped the control system out of the real thing. Totally plug and play with the game (credit to ED), does the exact same functions as the real thing. Down to the spring release switches for example on the speed brake, which again being the same as the real thing really makes using the speed brake so much easier.

Grats :D

Sounds excellent!

I also brought the Warthog it's insane I love it!!

I love the trackball on the throttle grip ...it means if I make a pit I can use

it as a mouse and ditch the real mouse as not needed.

want ArmA2 to support all buttons and switches tho :( cant use real flaps control

as of this moment.

How well does DCS:A-10 run in comparison to ArmA II.

That is, If I get 30fps in A2, what FPS on average would I get in warthog of around the same settings and scenario?

I also brought the Warthog it's insane I love it!!

I love the trackball on the throttle grip ...it means if I make a pit I can use

it as a mouse and ditch the real mouse as not needed.

But isn't that used for slewing whatever sensor is SOI?

How well does DCS:A-10 run in comparison to ArmA II.

Right now? A lot worse in my case. With the next beta, Wags has mentioned we should start to see some optimisation being done. In short, too early to tell.

yes, but can you see how when on windows it could have it's uses as a "mouse" even if it is ya sisters boyfriend it feels so much like a track ball.

planning on getting DCS A10c seems I wont get it soon tho.

*edit* suppose virtual mouse might do it @ self RTFM /noob mode

Edited by Panthro

You could assign a "shift" button in the TARGET software for that. But from what I read if you use TARGET you will lose the plug-and-play feature of DCS:WH and would have to program the whole thing.

My cougar has a ministick that functions as a mouse too, unfortunately the pot seems to be bad so I had to remove those axes :(

I did try this already but hit the reassign all controls issue and thats alot of settings

in A2 guess it's a good thing it doesnt affect my K/B mouse TiR5... or it would take all day.

cant u replace the pot? TARGET seems very flexible so I think (dont quote) u could

put a higher DPI micro stic in, after all everything else on the cougar has a mod.

Never used the cougar ... it was what I originally wanted but the stopped making it.

I seem to feel o about it atm tho.

I've just contacted TM to see if this is still available - I also know the exact part number so even if TM does not have it anymore I might get lucky elsewhere. The stick itself is modded (FSSB R1).

man I just couldnt like the force senors ... I am a big fan of the good old fashioned

muscle memory with stick displacement.

*edit* how do you rate the before and after the FSSB R1 mod Cougar

It certainly took some time getting used to it and a lot of fiddling with death-zones and curves - without those, even laying a finger on the stick would result in some input and using the hats had some "interesting" side-effects - but now that I have found the right mixture I'm quite comfortable with the results. No more center play, no more bumps/jumps that were apparent on the stock (=crappy) gimbals and pretty much unparalleled precision. It's still not quite the ideal stick for the Black Shark, but the Hog is a joy to fly with it. Definitely an acquired taste, though.

I think the A10 just sells from a coolness standpoint. I'd much rather rip an armored column to shreds with 30mm than drop an LGB on a tank from 30k feet.

boo-yah! now, that's why the A10 is my all-time favourite combat aircraft :yay:

"a plane built around a gun" - they're really not kidding when they say it, i mean, just look at that thing, it's pure evil

gau-8a.jpg

personally i don't mind getting the good warthog back in action... perhaps an apache would be really cool too, but from what i read, there's a number of factors which those guys consider when choosing which plane they´ll feature... particularly, how much in-depth info they can acquire on that specific model... it's not like they just do eeny-meeny-miny-moe

this is gonna be one sweet ride! i'll give you that! - already itching on my X52's trigger :D

Edited by Moach_Mayhem
sorry, pic was too large, i got a smaller one

That GAU-8 is a masterpeice in its own right. The full A-10 is just, art.

I wish I could run ArmA, Then I might have thought about getting DCS and a decent joystick to play with.

Christmas can't come soon enough. :)

When they say it's the same specs I imagine around the higher settings, you can always turn down the settings for better performance and the cockpit can be either 2D or full 3D which would help your video card a LOT.

... and the cockpit can be either 2D or full 3D which would help your video card a LOT.

What do you mean by that? There is no 2D cockpit in DCS: A-10 that I know of.

think some ppl need to upgrade :)

stuff is soooo cheap these days try using staticice it shows you all the cheap places:yay:

What do you mean by that? There is no 2D cockpit in DCS: A-10 that I know of.

Some vidos I've seen of DCS A-10 people play with lower settings and when they look around there is a "2D warp" rather than camera panning to, you can tell the dash isn't moving.

Now it is possible I could be wrong that it's the A-10 in LOMAC 2, I haven't looked far into that one but it's the same type, A-10C.

Hey,

I hear BETA4 of A-10 was released before christmas, So I am gonna bump this.

Are the changes including in beta4, optimization worth. Still bad or better than last time, when compared to the performance of ArmA II. ?

I am thinking of buying Warthog now i've got some money in my pocket. But not sure yet, because of my system.

boo-yah! now, that's why the A10 is my all-time favourite combat aircraft :yay:

"a plane built around a gun" - they're really not kidding when they say it, i mean, just look at that thing, it's pure evil

gau-8a.jpg

personally i don't mind getting the good warthog back in action... perhaps an apache would be really cool too, but from what i read, there's a number of factors which those guys consider when choosing which plane they´ll feature... particularly, how much in-depth info they can acquire on that specific model... it's not like they just do eeny-meeny-miny-moe

this is gonna be one sweet ride! i'll give you that! - already itching on my X52's trigger :D

I Call that the DRRRRRRRR! Gun, because when that bad boy unleashes the dakka its like a led firehose. Jesse Ventura would cream.

On a side note my mate shelled out for the beta version 4 of this and said the graphics are seriously damaging to the CPU, after the 10 minute rampstart that is required with every mission taking off is like throwing a brick into the wind. Not only that don't expect to turn very fast, this thing is sluggishly slow on turns, its not meant for air to air combat. That asside the only way to describe it is riding down a gold plated mountain on the back of your unicorn while sipping from your challice filled with the laughter of children.

Edited by Archamedes

Nice Archamedes, i was ready to throw a torrent of abuse your way after the 1st bit of that description (well not abuse because im a nice person :) ). But redeemed yourself at the end there... ;)

All i can say is Beta4 has improved it for me, much better fps in combat situations. All be it a drop in FPS when using the GAU8, but that is known and will be fixed with Beta5 (Due soon). As for the rest of the sim, i've been trying to spend a little time on it each day or failing that making up for it with big sessions at weekends. All i can say so far is WOW and WOW again, i just keep learning new things all the time. Its such a nice feeling after putting the time in. To use the systems together to compliment each other and make you sorties not only much more rewarding but easier. I can only imagine the load tat must have been taken of the A10 Pilot's when they transitioned to the C model.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^