Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

- Smoke Shells and Smoke Grenade Detection:

If you don't ask you don't get eh .... :)

Even in that video it all makes more sense, also makes you be careful with smoke, and again can make good use as a decoy for ambush too. The radius limit, can it be max 100 and then set in config for less/off for others?

Ive only just noticed your post under mine a few back ref flares, yes indeed that's another one to add to the realism tick box :)

Great work sir.

Edited by mrcash2009

If you don't ask you don't get eh ....

Yup right. And it's for free. ;)

Well after thinking about what you wanted to do i was thinking about it once again and thought "Damn it's really worth it" and after thinking some minutes i found a nice way to get it to work too. So why not support this feature. Even if it will not be used very often.

The radius limit, can be me max 100 and then set in config for less/off for others?

Yes you will be able to tweak the radius value.

So far enemy A.I. react if the smoke dropped 100 meters to their position not from the player like i told yesterday but i guess you already have seen it in the video. ;)

Well after thinking about what you wanted to do i was thinking about it once again and thought "Damn it's really worth it" and after thinking some minutes i found a nice way to get it to work too. So why not support this feature. Even if it will not be used very often.

This is very true, even if its not a scenario used often it will surprise folk when it does :) Those small details all add to the bigger picture is what I always say :)

Yes i got something new to work on and you get something new to play with. :)

So we all get happy. ;)

Yes the "Fire" value is config based and can not be disabled by a setting value.

It's placed in the "GL4_Burning_FX.pbo".

If you like to get back the default fire then you have to remove the "GL4_Burning_FX.pbo" but by doing this you will loose all "Burning FX" features.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up (it was driving me a little batty.)

@SNKMAN, ok, here's a challenge for you..heehhe... I can't get access to youtube from where I am! :( Could you upload that video somewhere else too? maybe vimeo? :(

Feedback : Noticed that the radio chatter for CDF vehicles are also in english... is it supposed to be like that or a bug? Tot the CDF guys speak russian too (CHERNARussian to be exact heehhe)?

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Hey SNKMAN, any luck on the "Haul Ass" function? People would flock to GL4 if this were implemented :) Cant wait for your next update.

Also, I love the friendly reinforcement feature but maybe the way in which it is selected can be integrated into the mouse menu instead of being so big? Unless it is already and I'm imagining it. Also, could you make it so we have an option on whether or not they join your group after they come to you? They help out alot, but having the option for them to continue on with you while under your control would be awesome.

Another thing, how come people never use the support waypoints in their missions? You add some medics, or a rearm or refuel vehicle and give it a support waypoint and then you can call for that type of support natively via the radio menu although it doesn't work if you don't have any team members as you need to select one and then call for support. Maybe you can do something with this feature where you don't actually have to give the units support waypoints? Maybe you can think of a way to make this feature better somehow and be part of GL4 for requesting all types of support, not only reinforcements. Seems like the game already does most of the hard work and having more options for medic, arms, repair and rearms support would be cool?

Also, have you given more thought about requiring a radio for reinforcements?

Edited by nuggetz

@SNKMAN, yes, the HAUL ASS function is what we really looking forward to!!! :)

Haul Ass + Spread out and Search (friendly house search) is what I am really looking forward to in this version. :)

Oh... one more feedback. Played another mission with GL4 and my squad mate didn't automatically rearm when out of ammo... how come?

Ok, one more request... if anyone can make this happen, its gotta be SNKMAN... Can you make primary weapons hang in front instead of behind when using secondary weapon? Thats so fake... nobody's slung weapons on the shoulders since WW1.

Edited by jasonnoguchi

@jasonnoguchi

Noticed that the radio chatter for CDF vehicles are also in english... is it supposed to be like that or a bug?

Oh really? Well if so then i have to check it out. ;)

Thanks for the info.

friendly house search

This already can be made with ArmA 2 by default. So i don't need to do it.

Select a unit from your team aim on a house ( you can see the house positions too while aiming on the given spot in the house ) and order the unit to go to the given building position.

This works really good. ;)

Played another mission with GL4 and my squad mate didn't automatically rearm when out of ammo... how come?

The "Rearm" feature works with a loop which means the feature will check every 30 - 50 seconds if a unit should rearm. It is not triggered directly after running out of ammo.

Can you make primary weapons hang in front instead of behind when using secondary weapon?

Sorry but i don't know how to do this.

This is some config + model change and i'm really not very talented in this kind of stuff. :)

Edit: Sorry totally forgotten: GL4 Smoke Detection

@nuggetz

"Haul Ass" already is finished and working. :)

Also, I love the friendly reinforcement feature but maybe the way in which it is selected can be integrated into the mouse menu instead of being so big?

What do you mean by mouse menu? How should this look like? Any pics or more info about the "mouse menu" would be nice.

Also, could you make it so we have an option on whether or not they join your group after they come to you?

Well in MP let groups which are local to the server ( what they are becouse leaded by A.I. ) join a player group will switch the locality of the group also by letting them join a new group their original group will be destroyed and it's pretty hard to restore all thouse things in MP if you for example cancel a reinforcement request.

So the best way so far is keeping them local to where they are and keep their original groups.

Maybe you can think of a way to make this feature better somehow and be part of GL4 for requesting all types of support, not only reinforcements.

Next version of Group Link 4 will give you 2 new support features which are working the same way like the "Reinforcement Request" feature. ;)

Also, have you given more thought about requiring a radio for reinforcements?

A radio? You mean a model which is visible like in SLX? Nope i don't have skills to create something like this.

Edited by SNKMAN

@nuggetz

"Haul Ass" already is finished and working.

:eek:

Eh...AWESOME!

Well just to let you know what will come in the next release:

Please don't ask me about a release date becouse i really can't tell any right now but should not need very long.

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition v.1.1.75

--------------------------------------

What's New:

-----------

Fixed: Event Handler "Fired" "Hit" and "Killed" was assigned twice by each player.

New Feature: Force ( Move ) which force units of a player group to ignor everything around them and just move to the position of the group leader.

Added: Settings to ( UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Global.sqf ) to enable/disable "Force Move" feature.

New Feature: "Helicopter High Command" which will give a player the full control over helicopters used by friendly A.I.

New Feature: "Enemy A.I. Simulate Dead" which makes A.I. if hit by a bullet randomly simulate dead.

Added: Settings to ( UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Global.sqf ) to enable/disable/change settings of the "Enemy A.I. Simulate Dead" feature.

Changed: "Group Link 4: Friendly" module to "Group Link 4: High Command Reinforcement".

Note: The "Group Link 4: Friendly" module do not exist any longer! If you had used this in a mission then you have to set up the friendly A.I. Reinforcement by using ( synchronize ) the friendly A.I. with the "Group Link 4: High Command Reinforcement" module.

Enhanced: Enemy A.I. "House Search" feature.

Added: Recruit monitor script which will remove the "Recruit" user action in case that the user action was assigned to a player or units of a player group.

Optimized: "House FX" feature by reducing amount of publicVariable. ( Multiplayer )

Optimized: "Crew FX" feature by using the "createUnit" command instead of publicVariable. ( Multiplayer )

Optimized: "Explosion FX" "Wrack FX" and "Burning FX" features by reducing amount of publicVariable. ( Multiplayer )

Added: Debri Fire FX

Added: Settings to ( UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Local.sqf ) to fine tune the "Dubbing" feature settings.

Optimized: "Weapon Impact FX" are not used any longer if the bullet was impacted nearby "Man" class.

Enhanced: Enemy A.I. react to all kinds of "Smoke" ammo which was dropped 50 meters within to their position.

Changed: "Radio Chatter" Volume Keys. Default: Volume Up = Insert Key | Volume Down = Delete Key.

Fixed and Enhanced: Several parts of Group Link 4.

Added: Settings to ( UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Core.sqf ) to enable/disable "Default" ( C.B.A. ) initialize of Group Link 4. By default True.

Optimized: "Default" initialize of Group Link 4. Through the new setting of "GL4_Core.sqf" the "Default" initialize of Group Link 4 will be done without any slow down which means the "Default" initialize will be finished within 1 second after mission start.

Yes like you can see the next release will make a very BIG impact and there are still a few things/features which are not listed so far. :p

Edited by SNKMAN

Well just to let you know what will come in the next release:

Awesome, thanks for the update SNKMAN :)

Thats a mighty fine list of rock solid game play additions sir :)

I like:

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition v.1.1.75

--------------------------------------

What's New:

-----------

Fixed: Event Handler "Fired" "Hit" and "Killed" was assigned twice by each player.

New Feature: Force ( Move ) which force units of a player group to ignor everything around them and just move to the position of the group leader.

Added: Settings to ( UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Global.sqf ) to enable/disable "Force Move" feature.

New Feature: "Helicopter High Command" which will give a player the full control over helicopters used by friendly A.I.

New Feature: "Enemy A.I. Simulate Dead" which makes A.I. if hit by a bullet randomly simulate dead.

Added: Settings to ( UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Global.sqf ) to enable/disable/change settings of the "Enemy A.I. Simulate Dead" feature.

Changed: "Group Link 4: Friendly" module to "Group Link 4: High Command Reinforcement".

Note: The "Group Link 4: Friendly" module do not exist any longer! If you had used this in a mission then you have to set up the friendly A.I. Reinforcement by using ( synchronize ) the friendly A.I. with the "Group Link 4: High Command Reinforcement" module.

Enhanced: Enemy A.I. "House Search" feature.

Added: Recruit monitor script which will remove the "Recruit" user action in case that the user action was assigned to a player or units of a player group.

Optimized: "House FX" feature by reducing amount of publicVariable. ( Multiplayer )

Optimized: "Crew FX" feature by using the "createUnit" command instead of publicVariable. ( Multiplayer )

Optimized: "Explosion FX" "Wrack FX" and "Burning FX" features by reducing amount of publicVariable. ( Multiplayer )

Added: Debri Fire FX

Added: Settings to ( UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Local.sqf ) to fine tune the "Dubbing" feature settings.

Optimized: "Weapon Impact FX" are not used any longer if the bullet was impacted nearby "Man" class.

Enhanced: Enemy A.I. react to all kinds of "Smoke" ammo which was dropped 50 meters within to their position.

Changed: "Radio Chatter" Volume Keys. Default: Volume Up = Insert Key | Volume Down = Delete Key.

Fixed and Enhanced: Several parts of Group Link 4.

Added: Settings to ( UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Core.sqf ) to enable/disable "Default" ( C.B.A. ) initialize of Group Link 4. By default True.

Optimized: "Default" initialize of Group Link 4. Through the new setting of "GL4_Core.sqf" the "Default" initialize of Group Link 4 will be done without any slow down which means the "Default" initialize will be finished within 1 second after mission start.

BTW:

The "Rearm" feature works with a loop which means the feature will check every 30 - 50 seconds if a unit should rearm. It is not triggered directly after running out of ammo.

So if they are out of ammo, in that situation they never look to reload? Isn't that a bit "odd"? I would say that its even more so important after the fact, can it be updated so once out of ammo "get some ammo fool!" kicks in :) Or does something else happen to compensate this?

I JUST JIZZED MY PANTS SNKMAN!!!!!! You made all your supporters VERY HAPPY!!! GL4 has been a mod which I now run by default on all missions and with a few intelligent settings, it doesn't break any missions anymore!

Let's make this the BEST version of GL4 EVER! Come on guys, lets think of more features to add!!! :)

As for the house search, yes, I know you can do that one by one, which is a bitch when you assault into a town. What I am saying is a single command that says "Spread out and Search!" and then all your team mates automatically run in all directions and search all the houses automatically. Default game definitely doesn't have this. :)

As for the rearming, (ok, I am no scripter but I think the logic works out) won't it be better if once a person go out of ammo, he will trigger a dialogue, maybe "OUT OF AMMO!" and then this dialogue will automatically trigger the auto rearming. If the script loops every minute, it will put a lot of weight on the system if there are MANY AI around, right? It also optimizes performance this way.

Am I making sense?

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!! I just finished one mission where the 2 cobras I called in on a platoon of tanks does nothing but fly around like dart boards for the tanks!!! With this feature, I want to play that mission AGAIN!

Edited by jasonnoguchi

@Jason ... you want to work him to the bone eh LOL :) ... nice I ideas though mate.

It has to be said this addon is rewriting and introducing some real gems that are desperately missing from Vanilla, this next release will seal the deal for a must have addon :)

I thought of something, SNKMAN have you checked out "Hybrid Command" system addon, which dynamically splits teams direct into High Command groups and then you can reverse this back again (its the dogs nuts)?

Well anyway I though id plant the seed of that becuase it never was running so it would autoinit and was only scrip-table, if you incorporated that into this in some way and had it auto init, you would then become the super addon gem maker don of arma2 (for me) :) There maybe good reason that it could never be done via autoinit and also switch control to new player if leader killed etc, but anyway thought Id mention it.

Edited by mrcash2009

@mrcash, I am amazed to see SNKMAN addressing almost all of the faults of the default AI to such an incredible extend and I see soooo much MORE potential in GL4! Jesus, GL4 made me more excited than GL3 did!

@mrcash2009

So if they are out of ammo, in that situation they never look to reload?

No they will Re-Arm of course becouse the Re-Arm script will look for units which have 2 or less magazines of their primary weapon left.

So A.I. do rearm bevore they completly run out of ammo that's why a 30 - 50 second loop is way enough and well the Re-Arm feature really is one of the smaller features of Group Link 4 and coded to take up a minimum of resources.

Re-Arm was one of the features coded once and working like it was used since years. ;)

About the "Hybrid Command" system:

No never used it but i defenetly will have a look at it.

@jasonnoguchi

Well i'm just doing my homework. :p

GL4 made me more excited than GL3 did

My coding skills have been raised by 50 - 60 % since the last Group Link 3 release.

I have learned and explored sooo much stuff... It's like neo and the matrix one time you will see everything with other eye's. :D

About the "Hybrid Command" system:

No never used it but i defenetly will have a look at it.

Get on that bad boy ASAP, have a good look at it, much like what you have here its a must have addition. Again a non-init version is a crime :) It may spark ideas of some flexibility with things your introducing too.

Here you go, mission and addon bottom of first post:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80032&highlight=hybrid

Edited by mrcash2009

@jasonnoguchi

@nuggetz

"Haul Ass" already is finished and working. :)

Next version of Group Link 4 will give you 2 new support features which are working the same way like the "Reinforcement Request" feature. ;)

Im absolutely excited about the new features and cant wait for your update!

Does this mean that reinforcement and support request features will initialize by default? This would be great!!

@mrcash2009

Get on that bad boy ASAP.

Will do. :)

@Kroky

Does this mean that reinforcement and support request features will initialize by default?

Yes i did that yesterday. But the default initialize of the "High Command" features of Group Link 4 is limited to SP only!

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

Greate the way of how the action is assigned to the communication menu looks really sweet.

I think i will use this with all "High Command" features of Group Link 4.

This way greately reduce actions added to a high commander player.

Edited by SNKMAN

Hey, will the enemy AI react to the sounds of friendly gunfire as well as enemy in the new version? Peace

No thouse features still will be used by enemy A.I. only.

I will not spend too much time to re-code features to friendly A.I. Group Link 4 already is a damn big project which is very hard to overview.

So i will not go too deep into friendly A.I. enhancement.

All the new "High Command" features which will come with the next version defenetly will be the last big friendly A.I. features of Group Link 4.

@SNKMAN, 3 more suggestions;

1.Spotting Distance.

Are you able to give soldiers of different classes different spotting distances? Like snipers and officers with binos with the longest spotting distance and common riflemen with very short spotting distance? This will increase the tactical consideration of taking out snipers and officers first using long ranged suppressed weapons.

2. Sniper Accuracy.

Are you also able to give snipers a higher accuracy than common riflemen? This is because the current snipers in the game are really just as inaccurate as the common riflemen with the added disadvantage of a single shot weapon. I turned down the enemy accuracy in order to prevent the AK sniper situation but that also made enemy snipers close to useless as I can stand there in the open and they can't hit me ever...sigh... It will be good if sniper class can be given twice the accuracy of the normal rifleman. (sniper being a real sniper class unit, not just anyone picking up a sniper rifle. A common grunt picking up a sniper rifle would still be as inaccurate. )

3. Going Prone.

Enemies currently go crouch before going prone. This is really silly as it sets them up to be killed pretty easily. That few seconds of going crouch then going prone without returning fire is suicide. Could you make enemies go straight from standing to prone without going through crouch first?

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Yes sure this could be made but then i need a function to seperate each class and assign settings to the classes.

It could be another big project, but so far i first like to re-code the enemy A.I. reinforcement feature to give specific types specific request distances.

Like already suggested: Man class have lower request distances then tanks or helciopters.

Well i will see how far i come. But bevore doing some big new stuff i really need to do some deep testing and finally release the next version. ;)

Great feature list for the next update. Nice to see you managed to figure out how to get the enemy to play dead :cool: I'll be packing some extra ammo in the future, for sure :D

So that you don't run out of ideas, I've thought of something new :)

I'm using JTD Fire and Smoke addon. Great stuff, but the AI tends to ignore the spreding fires and tries to walk through them, getting burned. DMarkwick might be able to solve this himself, but maybe you could try it out too in the following way:

Can you try to make both friendly units (except tanks, ofcourse) avoid burning flames? Not necessarily run away from them like headless chickens, but so that they don't stray too close to get burned.

Seeing GL4 try to guide AI through a dynamic JTD created forest fire spreading from several directions would make for interesting AI test in general, by the way. If you ever manage to collect the Turing price with that, I expect you to mention my humble contribution ;)

BTW I've kept testing the heli insertions. Things seem to work well by giving the "All, disembark" command. Sometimes the heli AI decides to act a bit weirdly, like staying in the ground after insertion, but that's rare and I think it's reacting to the precense of AA units. Maybe the Force Move can be utilized for those situations, too. We'll see soon, I hope :D

Edited by dialektiikka
<mixed DMarkwick's nick with somebody in another forum, sorry...>