Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta!

True, I have downloaded alot of them. But as they are those .gz files I cant get it to work using mod folders.. What I mean is will there be a normal release? You know like every other mod released to date..:D

They're also out there, just not hosted or supported by me or the ACE team.

Well if ACE mod dev team wanted to alienate potential players, they certainly succeeded in this with Six updater :icon_rolleyes:

If that means we'll be left with willing, capable players, sounds like a good thing to me then :)

Well if ACE mod dev team wanted to alienate lazy players, they certainly succeeded in this with Six updater :icon_rolleyes:

Better now :D

They're also out there, just not hosted or supported by me or the ACE team.

If that means we'll be left with willing, capable players, sounds like a good thing to me then :)

OK one last question. Will you or any members of the ACE team ever release ACE mod in just plain old mod folder freindly files? Even when its out of BETA??

Big thanks to you Sickboy and your team, I downloaded ACE2 through yoma which went smoothly, then loaded up the editor and spent a good few hours messing with everything. Its truly a awesome! shame im at work now and have to wait another 6 hours before i can get home and play some more:(

OK one last question. Will you or any members of the ACE team ever release ACE mod in just plain old mod folder freindly files? Even when its out of BETA??
We don't know yet. I am starting to like Running development, open source, sharing is caring..

In any case, distribution-license is free on ACE/ACEX/CBA, its just an issue of caring.

There's been nearly 100 pages of whining, complaining, and with all that effort combined, or even alone, anyone could've setup a static/oldskool mirror.

Instead, they demand it from me. And that's where they are wrong :D

But what am I saying now???? Someone else caring and sharing ? What's that :D

Anyway, thats not entirely true of course, there's been tremendous amounts of support, especially from Kellys-Heroes, to help the transition and what not.

Edited by Sickboy

Well if ACE mod dev team wanted to alienate potential players, they certainly succeeded in this with Six updater :icon_rolleyes:

I don´t think they´re searching for "potential players" atm , but for beta testers.

This is a beta release and a system like the six updater is perfectly suited to keep everyone up to date. You find a bug, make a ticket, devs fix it and upload the fix to the server and you synchronize your content. Voila!

People that have problems with missing "ace_keys.hpp" or "ace_clientside_config.hpp", the updater downloads the userconfig folder, but it's located inside arma 2/@ACE, you need to move it to the arma 2 folder.

From

arma 2/@ACE/userconfig/*.hpp

To

arma 2/userconfig/ACE/*.hpp

It's the same thing with the mpmissions, but of course ace will work without them.

Ok Guys what do people do who dont connect their PCs to the web? I for one use my mac to download files then burn them to disk and install them that way... Will there ever be a full release to just download and install?

If you have internet connection at home, even limited, I'd suggest doing the way I did it (I'm in the same boat ;) ) :

Download the .7z packages from here : http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ACE2#Downloads (I used RN FTP server which was very fast yesterday) from the place where you have bandswidth available

Download the Updater : http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/six-arma-updater (get latest version)

At home, on PC, install the updater, then put the 3 ACE .7z files in your C:\Program Files\Six-Updater folder (or whatever folder you install the Updater to)

Then use the Lazy Method to get all set up fast : http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/ace-mod2/Lazy (ie, get the predefined config file, launch the updater, press 2, and enjoy)

The ACE team did an outstanding job on this amazing mod, i cannot imagine playing ArmA II without it again!

Users should give the updater a bit of time and attention and get used with it, read and follow the steps carefully. Once this is done, keeping the mod fresh and up to date is really a walk in the park and saves lots of time in the end.

Tnx for all the hard work that made an already great game most likely the best there is!

At first the whole updater thing was looking way too complicated to me, and I was in a rush to JUST PLAY ACE RIGHT NOW, but now I tried running it following the quick start guide and it's actually so easy that a trained monkey could do it. It only LOOKS difficult. Well done, Sickboy!

Also, after several hours of ACE2.. wow. Amazing work there, guys! You took the best out of ACE1, made it much better and threw it into ACE2 with alot of new great features. Awesome.

The rotor dust blurring my view scared me at first :eek:

Edited by Cole

This mod is a grand victory for Flashpoint modding!

Congratulations, once you finally set up the updater and the mod, updating is very easy and comfortable, and the mod itself is more than excellent.

If that means we'll be left with willing, capable players, sounds like a good thing to me then

Haha, I agree, actually.

I don´t think they´re searching for "potential players" atm , but for beta testers.

This is a beta release and a system like the six updater is perfectly suited to keep everyone up to date. You find a bug, make a ticket, devs fix it and upload the fix to the server and you synchronize your content. Voila!

This is exactly the point of the Updater and why it is in place. It's a beta, it's going to be updated often (if not daily, see BI beta system, and keep in mind they are not 60M file this time). There would have been whining either way would people have needing a regular 600M download to keep up to date.

People that have problems with missing "ace_keys.hpp" or "ace_clientside_config.hpp", the updater downloads the userconfig folder, but it's located inside arma 2/@ACE, you need to move it to the arma 2 folder.

From

arma 2/@ACE/userconfig/*.hpp

To

arma 2/userconfig/ACE/*.hpp

The updater does that automatically. There might be bugs though, reporting them incl the logfiles would be most helpful ;)

it's actually so easy that a trained monkey could do it.

Ah, this means even I might be able to do it. Downloading now at a furious rate.

Hi, I noticed a few bugs within the beta.

- AT4 wasn't loaded properly when I picked it up from the crate. I had to reload to fire it.

- I tried looking through the sight of the AT4, but the camera was too far back that my character's ear blocked the entire view.

- CQC sights didn't work with some of the weapons with ACOG scopes that were in the Special Weapons crate.

- Is it possible to cycle through the CQC sight/scope without toggling through the fire modes - or activating the sight adjuster menu without having to stand up (my stand up key is set to V)?

Hi, I noticed a few bugs within the beta.

- AT4 wasn't loaded properly when I picked it up from the crate. Reload was required.

- I tried looking through the sight of the AT4, but the camera was too far back that my character's ear blocked the entire view.

- CQC sights didn't work with some of the weapons with ACOG scopes that were in the Special Weapons crate.

- Is it possible to cycle through the CQC sight/scope without toggling through the fire modes - or activating the sight adjuster menu without having to stand up (my stand up key is set to V)?

-This is to simulate arming the AT4 and other disposable launchers

-Which unit were you playing as? Put it on the issue tracker.

-Which weapon(s)? Put it on the issue tracker.

-Not sure.

hey just wanted to say this is an amazing piece of work and i am just offering support if any body needs help getting there userconfig working i will be on Kellys-Heroes TS all day

Regards

DF

I have a bug a urgent one !

When iam on a domination server with ACE

iam just playing after 20min or so i get screen tearing and alt tabs the game when i try to get back in nothing happends and still see my desk but if i click it shoots the gun so i still hear sounds this seems to happen randomly i had this issue more then once and i see it as a Critcal Bug

or activating the sight adjuster menu without having to stand up (my stand up key is set to V)?

Yes it is. Go through your controls in-game. Change "step over" to another button - voila.

iam just playing after 20min or so i get screen tearing and alt tabs the game when i try to get back in nothing happends and still see my desk but if i click it shoots the gun so i still hear sounds this seems to happen randomly i had this issue more then once and i see it as a Critcal Bug

Very bad report. It will be missed in here. You need to make a ticket over at DevHeaven ACE2 issue tracker like stated million times. And you have to explain in detail what and how as most times the ACE devs needs to be able to reproduce what your reporting in order to fix it.

Does this happen all the time or only on that server and/or that mission?

Great job guys, only had time to check out a few things since grabbing it but there are some excellent details included, I particularly liked the "repack" option for the chute after a jump as well as all the other little touches that make this so good, thanks.