Sign in to follow this  
templargfx

Just got ARMA2 - advice?

Danger = attack/charge modus. I use stealth and wait for me instead. I know, its alittle bit counter intuitive (then again I dont read the text, I just press the buttons..).

Then again I avoid taking charge of AI. I let them roam free as they see fit in more open dynamic scenarious, then they are shining. The AI is better at giving itself orders than we by micromanagement.

Im in the process of porting missions over from OFP, alot of them where you are a part of an AI group where the groupleader is AI. Alot better imo :) Best is with friends/alone against AI where they are free to do as they see fit.

My advice for an arma first timer. Open the editor, double click somwhere to set your player unit. Pres F2, double click a short distance from your player unit, select OPFOR fire team. Hit preview.

or

Single player scenarios - My Missions - New Mission <wizard> select one of the templates. Play.

==========================

Despite being very familar with the game from the Flashpoint days, (I knew almost all the controls for example), I still found it useful to create a bit of target practice in the editor and get used to the feel of the game.

My advice would be to use no mods until you are familiar with the game. Most mods are great, they add to the game, but really, try an run before you can walk in Chernarus and you will become frustrated.

Once you feel comfortable with the game, try a few single player missions. One I would highly recommend is Critanda's Morning Assault. Its simple, but very intense, and will get you killed alot, give you a headache controlling you 12 man, (i think) squad, but you will learn.

A few useful squad commands.

SPACE - 1 - 1 - all return to formation.

SPACE - 4 - 1 - all disembark

SPACE - 7 - 2 - all Danger (combat mode)

SPACE - 7 - 3 - all ALERT (combat mode)

SPACE - 7 - 4 - all SAFE (combat mode)

Its not many, but it will give you a good idea of how the command system works.

Lastly...welcome to ArmA 2. Stick at it and you'll find its a game that will last years. Now, go kill things :D

Edited by Bascule42
WILL become frustrated...willl! dammit

To keep your guys from charging the enemy issue the command ~-7-9 = All, follow my stance. If you kneel, they'll kneel, if you go prone they'll go prone (well most will go prone - if not you can explicitly use ~-7-8 and they will lay down.) This way they won't charge the enemy. Is it possible you set them to engage at will? I know they'll tend to do their own thing if you issue that command.

Come to think of it I never really use commands like defend etc. as I tend to keep my squad in formation most of the time and haven't had problems with them going rogue on me.

Oh, and I just remembered. One time I had gotten into a truck as the driver and issued the all-get in command and they took off running elsewhere. I told them to halt before they got too far and tried to figure out what had happened. Turns out there was another truck off in the distance I didn't see and even though my target reticule said I was targeting the truck (which I assumed was the truck I was in) it wasn't.

Lastly don't take some of the feedback in this thread as a personal offense. This game does take some time to learn the ropes and once you do you'll find your AI teammates will do pretty much what you ask of them.

Edited by Grizzle

Thats not true.

If you set your ppl in combat mode (7-2), they will automaticly search for cover and giving cover eachother.

If you want them to stay in formation keep them bahavior 7-3 or 7-4

for combat & cover with micro AI just select 7-1 or 7-2

7-8 7-9 7-6 etc are just for the positions like prone knee or follow stance

Thats it! Have fun

Edited by Pain0815

This is still information overload for someone new. Just dont worry about giving your team ordders and let them follow yo and do their own thing, they are very capable of that. But when you try to micromanage them they get spaz.

So you just play and ignore them they will follow , saves the stress.

I just tried to set up the same scenario that the OP described with the editor...me+7 others in a town defending a crossroad w/ a full infantry squad (12) coming in to take it. I told my guys to move right in the middle of the roads, made them go prone, set them to scan horizon, and told them to engage at will. Every time they stayed put, taking out enemy targets as they came into view. One of my guys was in the middle of the road engaging, then an enemy shot at him (but missed) the the guy rolled out of the way to cover.

I ran it several times with different parameters/commands and almost every time ended the same with my guys holding their ground; only when the enemy force was less than ~25% did they start moving around looking for more targets.

The reason people are "confronting" you is because if something can't be re-created it's kind of hard to see the problem. If it's a stock mission in the game, tell us which one so we can play it. If it's a custom one put up a link so we can DL it and try it out. My guess is it's something with that mission that's making them act funny (script, waypoints, who knows). Does it happen in other missions?

Edited by No Use For A Name

Ok. Templargfx, you mentioned a few things that has me worried about a clash of Mods, or something of the like that is very odd.

You mentioned:

-AI enemy not noticing you.

-Another AI enemy noticing and firing at close range, missing you.

-Your AI freaking out, not listening, and charging the enemy.

This is confusing the vast majority of users here because we can't relate what's wrong. I have a problem making any AI NOT notice me, or miss me <100m away, or even taking initiative when I command them to a spot, they stay there and target any opportunity, but will not leave unless I tell them to.

So this is a very odd situation here. Please let us know what version (1.04 you said, any betas?), mods or addons you have going. Sad you have this experience.

Something must be wrong with your installation

None of the above ever happen to me

Something must be wrong with your installation

None of the above ever happen to me

lol.... if you are going to post at least do so constructively.

like this one... ;)

Im running 1.04, I dont know if the beta installed because when I click the latest build link, and downloaded the file. when I ran the installer it still said 1.04 in the installer. I installed it anywho. but I dont think it worked.

I have no mods installed at all.

I've just given up on commanding the AI. I just tell them to follow me. then end up getting way ahead of them and them being useless. but at least there not doing things I havent told em to do (mainly because Im not telling them to do anything LOL)

continued the single player campaign today. again I had the AI just not react to my presence. walked around the corner to find 3!! guys huddled in a little alcove at the back of the building. not one of them did anything. so I shot all 3.

Im guessing that APC with a turret ontop was scripted to not engage me. cos it happened to drive past while myself and my entire team were crossing open ground, and it didnt even slow down.

I think this game just hates me because I like Dragon Rising

Re the AI commanding, if you don't want them to engage...turn off "engage at will".

How come you don't know if it runs beta or not if you played OFP, and ARMA till you drop?

Check your startup line. Or if you see the Build 60141 in your start screen bottom right, you are running the beta build. If not change your shortcut to run the exe from beta folder and make sure you run -mod=beta.

I played the SP too and I don't remember any of these issues. It is possible that AI is dumbed down in the initial stages of the campaign for the newcomers' learning curve purposes. There will be many instances where AI kicks your ass.

or maybe DR and the invincible AI buddies are the right game for you...so there is no point playing ArmA2 and complaining then ;)

Edited by Cross

Re the AI commanding, if you don't want them to engage...turn off "engage at will".

wouldnt I need to turn it on first? seen as "Open Fire" is the default combat mode?

How come you don't know if it runs beta or not if you played OFP, and ARMA till you drop?

Check your startup line. Or if you see the Build 60141 in your start screen bottom right, you are running the beta build. If not change your shortcut to run the exe from beta folder and make sure you run -mod=beta.

well, perhaps its stupid, but I expect a patch to install what its supposed to without needing to check to make sure it installed. never had to check to make sure any patch in any other game ever has installed. they just do.

I played the SP too and I don't remember any of these issues. It is possible that AI is dumbed down in the initial stages of the campaign for the newcomers' learning curve purposes. There will be many instances where AI kicks your ass.

even if this were true, I dont think this is the problem, as even stupid AI should be able to tell Im standing less than 15 meters infront of them.

or maybe DR and the invincible AI buddies are the right game for you...so there is no point playing ArmA2 and complaining then ;)

so because I like Dragon Rising, I'm not allowed to play this game? and dont try and pull me into a flinging match over which is has better AI.

is there a way to get enemy units called out by the player character to be hinted at/displayed on screen. my guy can see things I cant LOL and its most off putting. I'd rather he say nothing, if I dont know whats he talking about

even if this were true, I dont think this is the problem, as even stupid AI should be able to tell Im standing less than 15 meters infront of them.

Actually this can happen in just about any open world shooter. Just so happens that tonite I was building competing Take the Village missions in both Arma2 and DR just to compare AI, action, and a variety of other things.

Well it did happen that in DR after I thought all the enemy were dead, I checked a corner and noticed a PLA MG Jeep just sitting there. I walked right up to the gunner who did nothing didn't turn, fire -nothing and his driver was still alive. My men turned the corner about 30 seconds later and shot him dead.

It happens.

please dont turn my thread into a DR bashing session. Im having perfectly reasonable issues with ARMA2 here, just because I like DR doesnt mean its time to start bashing that game in my thread.

have any mods/whatever come out that stop the undergrowth changing shape so close to you? its off putting cos I find I start watching it when I should be looking at enemies. :p

Edited by templargfx

please dont turn my thread into a DR bashing session. Im having perfectly reasonable issues with ARMA2 here, just because I like DR doesnt mean its time to start bashing that game in my thread.

aha! what did I tell you about mentioning DR ;)

I am installing a beta patch right now, for the first time, just so I can put myself in your position and then I can comment further about ai/patches, and the like.

I am doing this to try and help, as up until this moment I had no need or desire to use it. (didn't I pay to be a tester for Arma1? :p)

single player campaign? you say? ugh, I didn't get far with that, never finished a single ofp/arma campaign either :hehe:

*edit, for the record, their download server is slow, Dam!

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

well, perhaps its stupid, but I expect a patch to install what its supposed to without needing to check to make sure it installed. never had to check to make sure any patch in any other game ever has installed. they just do.

It's too bad you are having these experiences. The AI can be dumb as stumps, but I have seen them randomly do things that seem intelligent, the key word being random. AI's in any game will do retarded things. I get the most out of the squad by babysitting and telling them every move. I enjoy that aspect, switching views and controlling each one separately on occasions to make them do exactly what I want. What an awesome feature. Sometimes I leave them in a vehicle or tell them to stay put and do things on my own, just depends on the mission. I use a Nostromo Keypad programmed with macros to simplify some basic tasks. Since you've played previous iterations of BI games, you know the drill of the command system it uses. Can be complex and cumbersome when split decisions need to be made. ARMA II is by far the best and one of the deepest open ended game I've ever played. To get the most out it, it's best to accept the short comings and try enjoy the positives. Some of the user missions and campaigns I've played have been flawless and most enjoyable. The AI in DR is far worse. That game was a cake walk for me and turned out to be another console shooter and offered no challenge. It also has really bizarre vehicle physics. I have been killed in ARMA II far too often and I prefer the challenge.

As far as the beta patches go, keep in mind that the Beta patches are not official patches. They are not installed in the convential way as official patches are. They use the method to access the beta patch like it is a mod. This is BIS's way to keep the community engaged with the progress of proposed patches. They do read the constructive feedback and try to improve the game. Remember, you don't have to use the betas. Anyway, keep playing and I'm sure you'll uncover some good stuff, if not, I guess it's not your thing...

Edited by Stryker_1

ok, I had installed the beta patch, but had not modified my shortcut to run the beta patch.

the whole experience was improved (even performance, which is awesome considering how well it ran before :p)

since running under beta I only had 1 guy run off and do his own thing. I ordered my men to get into a hummer, but there wasnt enough room for one guy, dont know where he was going LOL. I built another hummer too, so I ordered just him to get into that one and drive me around.

The game seems to be harder now, AI are reacting alot better.

is there any way to continue my campaign now i've switched to the beta? at the moment if I choose continue it crashes the game. I would like to not have to restart

this is the only comment I'll make in these forums regarding DR AI. The ai they programmed is absolutely fantastic. possibly more complex than the AI in this game. Codemasters just then idiotically slapped stupid restrictions on the AI from just about every aspect obviously to dum it down for console people.

Its best with each update to restart THAT mission, not the whole campaign, just the 1 mission you are on. Easy to revert in the save menu.

Beta installed...

The beta visibly increased campaign performance from the last time I ran it (v 1.04 I think)

I will have to use another mission to gauge AI behavior, as I don't wish to continue the campaign from start to the point where I command AI.

I think I will use Cypher. I will have plenty of opportunity to observe AI there, but not tonight... zzz

glad to see you had some improvements with the beta ;)

ok, I had installed the beta patch, but had not modified my shortcut to run the beta patch.

You should use an ArmA 2 launcher really.

It is good to know how to edit arma2's shortcut for mods and betas management, but the launchers created by the community make these operations easier and faster.

Don't waste your time fiddling with the shortcut !

is there any way to continue my campaign now i've switched to the beta? at the moment if I choose continue it crashes the game. I would like to not have to restart

You can continue the campaign in general but you usually need to restart the last mission/scenario rather than restarting the campaign. Usually the savegames are not compatible between patches (depending on the changes though).

Did you increase the skill & precision levels in your profile file as I recommended?

If your reffering to my post you can hardly call that bashing. I merely pointed out that games of this nature can and will have times that the AI will act wonky. I criticise the AI of Arma2 the same -call it as I see it, so that hopefully it will get better for everyone.

Glad the Beta is working out better for you.

Leading AIs is like graduating from a platoon commander course... There will be mistakes made, and lesson learned. So learn a little bit of the AI behaviour. They can actually help you, if you know how to employ them effectively... unfortunately there're not many documentation on how to lead AIs...

yes, true

AI can be very helpfull

if you have problems with AI and commanding, sorry but in real you also must think more about teammates when you command

i will tell you how i command and i see no problems and than team is one strong fist

1-1 - stay in formation

3-7 - all look around, scan horizon

7-2 - all danger, be carefull for enemy

7-9 - all keep low

i don't run like Rambo, i walk slowly and i keep eye that AI will be close to me

(i wait till they come, repeating 1-1)

like in real army - it is important to :

- have sniper , machinegunner close to you

- have medic far , in safe place, to avoid his death in AI battle

when i see enemy i don't go like rambo

all to ground (7-8 as i remember)

i gave 3-2 - all hold fire if i want surprise enemy (unless enemy not spotted me yet)

than when they will report they see target, when some report they are ready,

3-1 open fire and enemy is smashed in seconds

i never allow them 3-4 engage at will, cause AI will die roaming

for me commanding team is easy job

but when you are beginner, you cannot except that you will know all from first minutes , you must learn :)

other way is commanding mechanized platoons, you must be careful watching enemy tanks or RPG soldiers

when you are commanding, your role is using binocular, marking targets, not Rambo-run

when you are taking city, than you must divide soldiers to groups, you must leave gunner , sniper on hill to support soldiers/operators entering city

one soldier must lay down and support fire, other run

like in real life

if all are running, they can die

if gunner/sniper is supporting, he can kill some enemies hunting your soldiers nearing city

Edited by vilas

If your reffering to my post you can hardly call that bashing. I merely pointed out that games of this nature can and will have times that the AI will act wonky. I criticise the AI of Arma2 the same -call it as I see it, so that hopefully it will get better for everyone.

no, not directly at you, but you have to understand how your comment fits into the context of the discussion :

It is possible that AI is dumbed down in the initial stages of the campaign for the newcomers' learning curve purposes. There will be many instances where AI kicks your ass.
I dont think this is the problem, as even stupid AI should be able to tell Im standing less than 15 meters infront of them.

we were talking about the AI being dumbed down for the start of the campaign, and you start talking about how the AI in DR are stupid.

surely you can understand my mis-interpretation of your motive?

That particular comment was however more aimed at anyone else who came in and decided "hey here's some people taking the piss out of DR, lets join in"

Did you increase the skill & precision levels in your profile file as I recommended?

not yet, I prefer not to start modifying games until at least after I've finished the SP campaign. well things such as that, which effect the game across the board

i hope using what i wrote above, you can easy make your AI team one strong fist

(when you do your own missions or play others)

- use AI wisely depending on their weapons/skills (snipers, gunners)

- better wait and be slow than be dead

- be silent and hidden, not visible

- keep medic alive, he is most important

- control AI to be close, control where they look, aim etc.

- one stay/aim/fire support , when other run, when one reached position, another can run, but there must be someone who run and someone who observe and support

- 1-1, 7-2 , 3-7, 7-9, 1-1, 1-1, 1-1... 5-5 are saint ;)