Sign in to follow this  
templargfx

Just got ARMA2 - advice?

I don't get why you people are bashing this guy. If you can't give him advice, then stay out of the effing thread.

Abs

Because frankly his replies come across as arrogant and dismissive. Most people aren't awarded the luxury of a thread of their very own to discuss the trials and tribulations of adjusting to a new game genre (Arma2). If I had one I would be pretty appreciative of the effort people put into helping me out.

The guy gets angry that their is no 'Defend' command (DR perhaps?) but then dismissed peoples help when trying to explain the command system by claiming he is an OFP/Arma vet - it don't add up...

Hi all,

I just finished installing ARMA2, havent run it yet as Im downloading patch 1.04 at the moment.

can all you experienced guys give me your "best tips" for making my first foray inside the game as enjoyable as possible?

thankyou all

u gave up on of:dr?

arma 2 ai isnt the best. best to play with other people and only use ai for enemy

u should check out the tactical gamer servers. good bunch of people to play with

Edited by rstratton

Because frankly his replies come across as arrogant and dismissive. Most people aren't awarded the luxury of a thread of their very own to discuss the trials and tribulations of adjusting to a new game genre (Arma2). If I had one I would be pretty appreciative of the effort people put into helping me out.

The guy gets angry that their is no 'Defend' command (DR perhaps?) but then dismissed peoples help when trying to explain the command system by claiming he is an OFP/Arma vet - it don't add up...

they were following me when I got the crossroads in wedge formation.

I pointed at the centre of the area I wanted them to defend and told them to move there.

I then put them in danger mode

I told 3 guys in the centre to scan horizon

thats it, seen as there is no way to tell them to actually defend? which seems stupid

as soon as the enemy started shooting, they charged the enemy.

Im not one for holding the AI's hand.

I could understand them running off if I told them to engage at will. as that command could be interpreted this way. but when I tell em to move somewhere, they should stay there

so thats getting angry? thats the only time I mention the lack of a defend command. and I still think its silly. defense is a fundemantal thing in war. your often defend locations, buildings, objects, areas. and yes, it was OFP DR that made me realise how much this command is needed. Seems to me like your dismissing this simply because its something thats in DR.

here is a little video of the exact action I did to get the guys out of the truck. when they decided to run off over the horizon. just a quick editor test (a guy came over to the DR forums and started telling me this was impossible, and basically said I was lying about the whole situation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJxRkl1PTA

so if you bought an automated apple pealer, and it kept leaving giant chunks of peel on the apple. but you were doing exactly what your supposed to do with that peeler. You go online for advice and everyone says, "dude, you just dont know how to use that peeler man! keep peeling apples until YOU get it right" would you not get annoyed after the 10th or so person said this?

Edited by templargfx

Seems to me like your dismissing this simply because its something thats in DR.

Wrong. There are things I like about DR's AI that I wish Arma2 had more of, ie. better attention and orientation to the primary threat. The problem was when I pointed out that I encountered a similar bug in that AI was not responding in DR at close range, you automatically went into defensive mode "Don't bash the game that I like!"

But you have no problem coming here and calling Arma2 "Crud", "Stupid" etc..

Hardly good material to have an honest discussion.

I love been mis quoted

please dont turn my thread into a DR bashing session. Im having perfectly reasonable issues with ARMA2 here, just because I like DR doesnt mean its time to start bashing that game in my thread.

this was after a couple of people starting bashing DR. That is off topic, I said dont start bashing the game in THIS thread. I didnt say STOP bashing the game did I?

Ok guys, he's fresh from the butcher shop that is the DR forums, give the man a moment to breathe and change gears. lol

making that video above really brought a smile to my face, heres why :

when I placed the civ vehicle in the editor it came complete with a civ driver (how do I spawn vehicles without people in them?) so when I started up, I moved up to the drivers door, my fireteam was right next to me. I shot the civ so I could drive. the moment I did this, my fireteam all turned there backs and walked away, sort of like "oh crap, he shouldnt be doing that, look away!" .... "I didnt see you shoot him sir, I was looking at that bird over there, its gone now but I was I swear"

LOL

The point is mate that if we were having an honest discussion you could freely admit that a similar bug is in DR's AI but you chose to go another route. It's all good, I've no desire to argue semantics or anything really at all with you so I'll just say best of luck.

To place an empty vehicle you must scroll thru "Empty" and then add the truck or vehicle of your choice.

I freely and often admit the many problems with Dragon Rising. but a thread about ARMA2, in the BIS ARMA - GENERAL forum is hardly the place to discuss them.

they were following me when I got the crossroads in wedge formation.

I pointed at the centre of the area I wanted them to defend and told them to move there.

I then put them in danger mode

I told 3 guys in the centre to scan horizon

thats it, seen as there is no way to tell them to actually defend? which seems stupid

as soon as the enemy started shooting, they charged the enemy.

Im not one for holding the AI's hand.

I could understand them running off if I told them to engage at will. as that command could be interpreted this way. but when I tell em to move somewhere, they should stay there

You should read the answers you get before asking same stuff you already got the damn answers.

If you set your ppl in combat mode (7-2), they will automaticly search for cover and giving cover eachother.

If you want them to stay in formation keep them bahavior 7-3 or 7-4

for combat & cover with micro AI just select 7-1 or 7-2

7-8 7-9 7-6 etc are just for the positions like prone knee or follow stance

Thats it! Have fun

You read this? if you want them to stay in formation and defend give dont put them in danger mode. (here they run for cover)

7-3 is the right behavior for this.

and tell them to stop if they shall stay on pos

This was said to ou from 3 guys incl. me, and you strill here complaining and asking for answered questions.

wow, oh my god.

I didnt ask about defending, not once after that original post on page 5. the only subsequent times I mentioned defense was in a post summing up some of the "out there" responses I got to problems (but no questions regarding this were put forward, responses like "use stealth" to get them to defend), and the last time was just above, where I was accused of getting angry over not having a defend command. So I re-quoted myself, I wasn't angry then, and re-reading it now, it still doesn't seem like I came across as angry over the lack of this direct command. What are you talking about, "asking for answered questions" ?

Can we please close this answered thread now before it becomes any more a snobby game of one-ups-manship?

I asked it to be closed about 4 pages ago in a post, I also reported my OP asking it to be closed through that system and sent a message to a mod. I saw this coming a long time ago.

unfortunately the mods arent listening at the moment

Can we please close this answered thread now before it becomes any more a snobby game of one-ups-manship?

Damn right.