Sign in to follow this  
templargfx

Just got ARMA2 - advice?

so, from what I can gather from the replies here. the AI are really only any good if you micro manage there every action?

if thats true, thats a real shame. Im not a fan of holding the hand of AI friendlies. I can understand how some people would love the extra control. im just not one of em. I like being able to give one command to the entire squad, and then leave them to sort out the details.

Edited by templargfx

You can give basics things. Just don't expect them to set up an ambush by themselves. don't expect the sniper to go on his own on cover points several dozens meters away, don't expect them to NEVER go on the wrong side of a building and walking right in front of ennemy instead of hidden by building, things like that ;)

Usually, on assault missions with Healing Module, I keep them with me, sniper on overwatch (I have to micromanage him), I use colored teams and echelon formation so that groups are "going by numbers" (ie formation-wise, 2 is near 3 who is near 4, etc... that makes colored team composition easier and formation cohesion better), medic in the back (usually micro managing him too), and most of my time is me carrying wounded to the medic while the rest is dispatching ennemies.

maybe there is such problem as i had in past

on my PC - other software was causing Arma1 errors

it was in 2008, i had GG and TLEN (both are internet comunicators)

when i was running both of them - AI was refusing get in vehicle , maybe it is a problem of other software that colides in codes/options ?

maybe when you use Arma, other soft uses commands ?

i had very strange bug in Arma1 , when i was using both internet comunicators and playing Arma1 - AI was not getting to vehicles

I never micro manage them, Ive tried all that and now i dont care if they get shot. I just let them follow me. Im good enough player to not really need them. I give them ALL a command but nothing to fancy, it all works.

You can give basics things. Just don't expect them to set up an ambush by themselves. don't expect the sniper to go on his own on cover points several dozens meters away, don't expect them to NEVER go on the wrong side of a building and walking right in front of ennemy instead of hidden by building, things like that ;)

Usually, on assault missions with Healing Module, I keep them with me, sniper on overwatch (I have to micromanage him), I use colored teams and echelon formation so that groups are "going by numbers" (ie formation-wise, 2 is near 3 who is near 4, etc... that makes colored team composition easier and formation cohesion better), medic in the back (usually micro managing him too), and most of my time is me carrying wounded to the medic while the rest is dispatching ennemies.

i have learned that having 2 medics is better, i now have one medic with me while the other is further out so he can get faster access to a downed AI. i also have 2 armored so they can cover the downed man while medic attends to him. man this game is intense.

Yeah it's all good but nothing beats playing with humans, that be against AI or other humans :cool:

not yet, I prefer not to start modifying games until at least after I've finished the SP campaign. well things such as that, which effect the game across the board

Its not a modification... its the difficulty level.

If you open it (don't worry nothing happens) you'll see there are difficulty levels such as regular, veteran, mercenary. They disable certain aids as well as changing the AI skill & precision level.

Now if you only want to edit skills & precision (like keeping the aids as in regular level but have AI as in veteran) you just need to change those lines.

Do it if you feel AI is too stupid for your liking/level.

You won't break a thing.

Micro-manage? No. Give my team commands? Yes.

They follow orders, and you should have noticed with the 60141, they stick together and keep with you much better. Please don't get frustrated when they follow orders, if you tell them to go to 'danger' and then move fast from point to point, they will take more time trying to move to cover positions, and leapfrog. You do have to work with them.

When you get the feel of how much observation and planning helps an operation in A2, check out giving commands via the map. You can set up some hellatious feints and ambushes. I like to hold back an AT and a MG about 200M from where I think the point of contact with a known enemy location will start (a ridge or other terrain). So if I need to break contact or run from overwhelming armor/infantry, I have an anchor point to rally to and cover for the movement.

Good luck, you're in it deep. :)

Edit: vvvvv Neat to hear that perspective MrCash1009 (or should I call you Jonny? lol) vvvvv

Templargfx: To make the commanding easier, that is if you don't care to sound a bit crazy, is use a voice recognition package: Pilfius, and the old GameVoice are awesome, just like giving commands to people ("2,3,4 disembark." "Everybody, form up." "all, hold fire" That fast, that easy.

Edited by Scrub

If "Micro managing" is complete control of my teams in any situation, then I micro manage this sim to death.

Its funny reading this thread from a new to Arma standpoint becuase I had all the same gripes and issues and thoughts, after about 6 months in I changed my view :)

I remember with Arma1 for the first month or so I was not sure if it was crap, un-immersive, what it was trying to be ... all sorts of conflicting views. But I have to say to the original poster and anyone else new to it, the information and advice in this thread I wish I had at the start in one place that's for sure, many true words spoken.

Edited by mrcash2009

^^ what he says ....

...you are only allowed to turn it on after 3 months :P

You need to get used with the AI. You need to know what all commands can do.

In Arma you can give precise orders to the AI, you can control them over the whole map without view contact if you want.

You can devide them into fireteams, you can give them diffrent states of awareness and you can set them to follow you in formation OR going from cover to cover slow on their own.

BUT YOU NEED TO LEARN THIS STUFF FIRST.

Diffrent than in OpfDr is, you are able to give command while moving.

If you want control a AI sniper you need to get him to a good spot, give him cover order or prone/crouch order and now give him a view direction and fire command (hold for spotting so you can select targets and order him to kill those, or engage at will).

He will cover this area for you.

Thats micromanagement for single things.

But if the ai is follow you they only need formation, awareness and stance orders if you want go attack or hide.

Maybe you want devide them into colored fireteams and one team cover the advance of the other team, no problem with the AI here.

But you need to get used with the AI first.

can someone please explain to me how they came to the conclusion that a simple "move there" order given at a point next to a truck, only to have the ai run off in the opposite direction tranlates into "you dont know what your doing"?

thats basically what your all saying. as this is what started this whole thing off. We both know what really happened, it was a glitch. It just seems you all rather blame it on the player than the game.

the other example was the ai running off to engage when I wanted them to defend. when I explained what I did to get them to defend, the reply I got was "use stealth to get them to defend" how on earth is that logical? If we must use DR as a comparison. in that game, I point at the central area I want them to defend, choose the defend order. the AI will automatically find cover and position themselves for 360 degree coverage of the defend point. with squads rathan than fireteams, one fireteam will head out an roam the surroundings while the rest stay to defend. all from a single command. much like in real life. you dont have to tell each soldier every tiny little thing they should do. although you are free to correct them if you dont like what they do (just like in DR)

WHEN the AI works as advertised. I have no problem doing all of the things you all keep talking about.

the latest beta patch greatly decreased the frequency of these strange occurances, but they still happen.

MODS : please close this thread

so, from what I can gather from the replies here. the AI are really only any good if you micro manage there every action?

if thats true, thats a real shame. Im not a fan of holding the hand of AI friendlies. I can understand how some people would love the extra control. im just not one of em. I like being able to give one command to the entire squad, and then leave them to sort out the details.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I still have a blast and they do fairly well with minimal oversight. I guess a lot depends on how you want to play it which is one of the beautiful things about this game - so many ways to get your battle fix and it caters to all sorts of play styles.

So, in light of you getting the BETA working and what-not, do you think Arma2 is a keeper for you?

Im not going to take it back. but its likely going to be just like alot of other games I buy, it'll get chucked on the pile of games, to be pulled out once in a blue moon when I'm bored.

that being said, I will give them another 2 patches before I give my final verdict. It has promise. so I'll give it time

If you find yourself annoyed, pissed and such, but still trying A2 for a few weeks to see the greatness everyone is talking about, you'll probably catch the virus and be hooked. ;)

Many people here with the 2009 on their join date said as much, and a few even said they didn't only to be contrary... Only to be seen online later. It takes time playing around before you 'get it' that there is a hell of a lot to enjoy.

Good luck.

Templar do you know you can switch to each AI team mate and control direct and then switch back?? Press T. Useful for positioning.

Im not going to take it back. but its likely going to be just like alot of other games I buy, it'll get chucked on the pile of games, to be pulled out once in a blue moon when I'm bored.

that being said, I will give them another 2 patches before I give my final verdict. It has promise. so I'll give it time

lol. He runs into the same oddities we've all experienced and dealt with in A2 and passes judgment without taking the REQUIRED learning curve time to fully appreciate it.

Then again, you can't play this solely on an X-box controller.

And who here really cares what your final verdict is?

some folk simply wont give a real sim the time of day. i know my old clan leader has it and admitted he CBA learning the keys so he uninstalled it.

there is a fine line between shooters and sims and most shooters wont dare cross that line, most wouldn't know how to.

i did try getting my old clan leader to give it another go but he's a quitter lol, some of the other in the clan like the game but because one or two dont want to give it the time of day it wont be implimented into the clans game list. which imho is bull purely because we played a lot or co-op games.

Edited by Colt45_GTO

I own and have played to death :

Operation Flashpoint : Cold War Crysis

ArmA : Armed Assault

this aint my first rodeo people

Simply not credible.

With the goofy AI, I'd of followed the "reinstall it" advice. I've read many posts from people saying they have AI issues which coincidentally comes with "I just got this game and....". It seems those that have the game, do the tutorial and actually cut into the meat of this game have diminishing issues.

I'm not saying it's operator error, which is why I suggest you may want to reinstall. Delete your arma 2 folder in the "my docs" folder if you do.

One thing on goofy AI. I've come across instances of goofiness when I accidentally get too far out of range after issuing a move command and not issuing subsequent orders. Once a "move there" command is given they won't follow or move till another "move there" is given or a "regroup" is issued.

In the couple rare instances I'm having an issue with AI I've found hitting the "Y" key and cycling through squad mates till returning to my "cooper", assuming lead again.

Quick question: if I as leader move out of range (and you know when it happens when you hit "regroup" and you here "where are you") do the AI ever break off and become autonomous?

Edited by Ozz13

when i hear the ''where are you?'' i simply select that number and order them to 2 feet of my position, they are there in no time.... some how? when i know they are miles away to start with

one thing i haven't figured out yet is to sitrep my position, how do i do that?

Luhgnut;1493767']lol. He runs into the same oddities we've all experienced and dealt with in A2 and passes judgment without taking the REQUIRED learning curve time to fully appreciate it.

Then again' date=' you can't play this solely on an X-box controller.

And who here really cares what your final verdict is?[/quote']

I don't get why you people are bashing this guy. If you can't give him advice, then stay out of the effing thread.

Abs