Sign in to follow this  
tpw

Modern Warfare 2

So in a way you buy your steam account by buying games, when you want to sell it you have to sell everything?

I'm pretty sure your steam game "licences" are non transferrable. I think it's part of the reason publishers love them as it prevents 2nd hand games sales, which they can't dip their greedy hands into.

Sounds like a bad deal.

I buy games, I can play them under Steams premisses (if they are up and I need internet), I cant sell them and if I do I have to sell them all including my steam account.

Am I right?

Sounds like a bad deal.

I buy games, I can play them under Steams premisses (if they are up and I need internet), I cant sell them and if I do I have to sell them all including my steam account.

Am I right?

I think so. Bummer hey?!

Sounds like a bad deal.

Am I right?

Yes, that's correct.

Beside the danger of losing access to your games if Steam breaks down, that's the biggest problem with the system. In theory it should be no problem for them to implement a marketplace where players can sell each other their games, but since it's not in their interest they just say it's "not possible" and leave it at that.

You are essentially submitting the control over your games entirely to Valve.

Despite this, Valve and Steam are basically keeping the PC gaming industry alive singlehandedly.

Despite this, Valve and Steam are basically keeping the PC gaming industry alive singlehandedly.

I'd agree with that, I can get great half-off deals on Steam, I haven't bought a PC game at a store in years. The last physical game disc I have is DCS Black Shark since you can't get it on steam and that was ordered online.

If it isn't on Steam and if it isn't on sale, I'm probably not getting it for the PC

I'd agree with that, I can get great half-off deals on Steam, I haven't bought a PC game at a store in years. The last physical game disc I have is DCS Black Shark since you can't get it on steam and that was ordered online.

If it isn't on Steam and if it isn't on sale, I'm probably not getting it for the PC

X2 I don't own a single game on disc anymore.

I buy all my games in hardcopy. What if I want to play when my internet is down...

2. sometimes (more often than not) the Steam servers don't work and I have to wait.

What a bunch of bologna. Almost every game I own is on steam and I have yet to try to play one and not be able to because steam is down. If your gonna bash steam at least be honest about it.

Οh hey, hi I would like to take a moment to tell you that I hate Steam with everything I've got. I wish DIGITAL CANCER on everything Steam related. Steam is the antichrist of Pc gaming.

Last night I had a friend around who wanted to play MW2 single player. Ok? He played the first two levels a few days ago and he wanted to continue.

Steam had a different opinion. "I AM SORRY HUMAN, WE, THE STEAM LEGION HAVE PROBLEMS AND YOU SHALL NOT PLAY THE GAME YOU PAID FOR, BECAUSE WE JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE IT! GO AWAY HUMAN! THE STEAM HAVE SPOKEN!"

I had to reset my password 8 times. I restarted my computer twice. I checked my firewall settings, I even exited some security programs just in case.

Steam wouldn't let me log in.

For forty minutes.

Now am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

I understand that I HAVE to log in to play mp games. I understand that because it makes sense. You cannot play multiplayer without logging in to Steam.

But what the hell does the internet have to do with the single player game? Why do I have to wait for forty fucking minutes to play a game? I don't care if your servers are down Steam, I really don't give a shit because I didn't ask for this.

I am sick of this. Steam is pure shit. Pure smelly buggy pig shit.

That happens when you give total control to a bunch of suits...

Maybe it's just you. I have never had an issue like this with steam. Neither have the guys in my squad and there are loads of us using it for that matter.

Edited by ICE-Raver

Activision Hints at Call of Duty Online Plans

There you go, yet another nail in the PC coffin.

@cjsoques & ICE-Raver: Awesome, you´re killing dedicated PC gaming!

Not going to elaborate on the why´s and how´s of my opinion. If you don´t comprehend it, you might aswell just sell your pc and get an xbox. *shortcut achievement unlocked*

Edited by Mr Burns

I buy all my games in hardcopy. What if I want to play when my internet is down...

You launch Steam in offline mode and play your games without internet.

You launch Steam in offline mode and play your games without internet.

X2. And even if your internet goes down you can launch games in steam if you logged in before it went down. I just disabled my internet and checked to make 100% sure and I was able to launch several single player games with no connection.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Not going to elaborate on the why´s and how´s of my opinion. If you don´t comprehend it, you might aswell just sell your pc and get an xbox. *shortcut achievement unlocked*

LMFAO..........ok thats the dumbest thing I've read on these forums all day. I'm killing PC gaming because I prefer digital distribution over buying hardcopies and keeping up with discs.

Whatever man. DD is the future, adapt.

Ah, so its possible to play offline. Then its not that bad i guess.

Offline mode.

I'm surprised people are complaining about not being to access their games without the internet. Steam does have an offline mode. I've had to use it many times due to my crappy ISP. I guess people either close it if it takes too long or don't bother trying it when they have no internet. It is there...

Edit: Scratch that. I had my suspicions towards it still being there, so I tried to force it into offline mode and it seems they've changed it so that you can't log in at all. Well... That's stupid. I can understand your frustration in that aspect, then. Making it completely reliant on the internet is kinda dumb. It worked so well without such a change...

Edited by Zipper5

PC gaming is alive and well, sure there are console ports but that only backfires and harms the reputation of the companies.

Take MW2 for a example, they pissed of a lot of PC gamers, and now they started cracking. Never underestimate the power of the public.

Just look at this, and the game just got out!

Information war is part of modern warfare, something underestimated by IW/Activision. I am a spectator, watching the carnage from both sides. I suspect that dedicated servers aren't long off, it's much more difficult to exploit pc crowd.

Now, pass me the popcorn!

BTW: I buy all my games hardcopy, just in case. My only steam game is HL2, and that's a hardcopy too. The fresh smell of a new printed manual justifies it on itself. :D

Wait, I thought you could launch Steam games without opening Steam by going to the steamapps folder in its directory?

They may have pissed off a lot of people, but that number pales in comparison to the total number of customers that IW got for MW2. Heck, even those who were pissed off ended up buying the game anyways. It's hardly carnage. The response to "that other game" was carnage. This is mild.

So it's my fault that I tend to buy digital versions of a PC game that lower costs to the publisher since they don't have to make physical copies?

So it's my fault that the game I legitimately paid for is being pirated by the thousands...if not the millions.

And it's my fault that some games are just more fun on the Console due to their simplicity.

When it comes down to it, it is IW/Activisions greedy fault for even marketing this as a PC game in the first place when it obviously has nothing geared for the PC market and if you bought it as such you are the sucker they were looking for. On the console, it's a great game.

Back to PC, if it is a game I love it's worth having both mediums. Example, I have digital and hard copy of ARMA2 and ARMA1.

You're first premise that because I have bought games via digital download is a whole bucket of stupid. You seem to be too superior to take the time to back up.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Wait, I thought you could launch Steam games without opening Steam by going to the steamapps folder in its directory?

I've never had a problem using the offline feature in Steam. I've never had a problem with Steam playing single player games when my internet is down.

The only issue with Steam I've had out of the dozens of games I have on there are some old games not working with Win7 (should have done my own research). And some games redownloading the whole thing for a patch (example, Arma 2's first patch.

I love the autoupdating and the easy of redownloading all my games overnight in the even that I have killed my PC somehow and have to reformat or some such.

What a bunch of bologna. Almost every game I own is on steam and I have yet to try to play one and not be able to because steam is down. If your gonna bash steam at least be honest about it.

Maybe it's just you. I have never had an issue like this with steam. Neither have the guys in my squad and there are loads of us using it for that matter.

Why the HELL would I lie about that???? I don't know about you, but I love Call of Duty and I bought four copies just as it came out. I didn't expect any problems and I have no reason to bash the game but Steam and IW made things complicated. First off you cannot play SP unless you are logged in, right? I found no option to play offline (which was the case with GTA). Second, for some reason, IW found it smart to remove player profiles from the game. It's not just me playing on my computer and I am sure more people (siblings, couples) share a pc. If someone else wants to play he has to redefine the keyboard, change my perks and weapons. And of course no one else will play the campaign until I finish, because they are going to ruin my savegames. Right?

They first day I installed the game I found my self and a friend already logged in and online which was pretty weird. I had to reactivate the account I had since I played GTA4 and spend a huge amount of time trying to reset my password only to get the message "you cannot change your password visit wwwinfinitywardsomethingsteam.com for instructions".

Last night I finished my campaign and a friend wanted to try it out. So I fired up steam and I got the message that I cannot connect for some reason. I tried and tried again. Thinking that someone hacked my serial, I tried to reset the password again and I could not because apparently I didn't answer my security question right! :)

And I am standing there thinking "what the fuck, why can't I just play a damn game when I want to?"

Then we tried to play on my LAN. Touch luck! There is no option for LAN in CODMW2. It's ok we will do the private match thing then. I sent invintations to my friends sitting in the room beside me and they didn't receive anything so we dropped it.

The game actually worked at some point which is a good thing but still...

Now, I am sure most of you have no problems, either because you are lucky or because you live in a civilized part of the world where your internet runs with ungodly speeds and never fails.

What I know is that I had no problems whatsoever playing Cod4. I had my profiles, I could play LAN games easily, I didn't get spammed by Steam, I played online in whichever server I wanted and life was sweet.

Maybe I am just old but "back in the day" gaming was simpler, you know?

Now chill out aight?

^

I feel for ya having problems on Steam. None of the games I own have given me such issue.

I think the first problem you are dealing with is that you got CODMW2 on there. It sounds more like a IW problem and not a Steam problem. So place the blame accordingly.

Second problem, if you've kept up with this thread and knew the PC issues with this game, why did you get 4 copies!? Just wondering :)

...BTW, looking at the xbox/IW forums, it funny watching the little ones complain that CODMW2 gameplayed is slowed down and the maps too complex, I rather enjoy it. I only wish they removed the auto-aim, increased the recoil, and increased the amount of ammo carried. This would have allowed for longer more tactical firefights and engagements that last longer than 0.5-2sec at the most. Suppression and range factors are non-existent in the game and they would have added to the immersion and gameplay.

Ok you've got to be kidding!

I swear, I wish I could show it to you. I just doubleclicked MW2 just out of curiosity, just to see if it's gonna let me log in straight away and nothing happens! The game doesn't start. Neither the Steam or the MW2 multiplayer icons work! Arma works I just tried it.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Did that happen to anyone out there???

Second problem, if you've kept up with this thread and knew the PC issues with this game, why did you get 4 copies!? Just wondering :)

I have four pcs... For LAN. I buy all my games in sets of fours. Four Armed Assaults, four Operation Flashpoints, four CODWOW, and four Arma2s. I have only one copy of COD4 and COD2 though because I could actually install those on all my pcs without any problems.

Edited by Master gamawa

Ok you've got to be kidding!

I swear, I wish I could show it to you. I just doubleclicked MW2 just out of curiosity, just to see if it's gonna let me log in straight away and nothing happens! The game doesn't start. Neither the Steam or the MW2 multiplayer icons work! Arma works I just tried it.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Did that happen to anyone out there???

I have four pcs... For LAN. I buy all my games in sets of fours. Four Armed Assaults, four Operation Flashpoints, four CODWOW, and four Arma2s. I have only one copy of COD4 and COD2 though because I could actually install those on all my pcs without any problems.

I gotcha, I understand the four copies thing. From your post I thought you had bought four copies of MW2.

Like I said, it sounds like a MW2 specific problem and not the fault of Steam.

I'd go to the Steam forums for CODMW2 to investigate if similar problems are coming up for people.

Sorry for being slightly off-topic but I'm very curious. Why do you have 4 PCs in LAN like that? Do you have 3 other local friends that visit to play frequently? Shouldn't they contribute their money towards it too? You're rather lucky if that is the case as I don't know anyone near here who owns any of the OFP/ARMA series or plays any games more serious than COD.

I feel for ya having problems on Steam. None of the games I own have given me such issue.

More or less all of mine do.

I find it hard work. I don't want to battle with Steam when I want to play a game. And since I usually have to in some way, I just don't play the games I've paid for.

When it all works, although it is a great palava, I am left thinking, ah well at least it works... at elast I can play on LAN...

And then the next time I try it is all fucked up again.

It's a pity because LEFT4Dead is the kind of game you just want to play quickly for 20 minutes for an intermission.

But it's Steam, so I can't.

Probably ended up wasting £30 on 2 hours of fun. I tjhink I'll avoid Steam games from now on. But Red Orchestra 2!

You know what I mean. I want it to work, I really do. But it's not anything like as user friendly as games used to be, or ArMA is for example.