Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VFTCAS - Terrain Collision Avoidance System

Not that this belongs here, Maturin, but you might be looking at an old log entry of your rpt file. Just empty the contents, save it and have a look after the next game start.

VictorFarbau

Not that this belongs here, Maturin, but you might be looking at an old log entry of your rpt file. Just empty the contents, save it and have a look after the next game start.

VictorFarbau

Err, it doesn't belong here?

I didn't even bother checking the .rpt file from the last test because I got an error popup before the game even finished starting that said the same thing. So that can't be outdated.

It only happens with the steam version, which I ran without any addons or beta patches.

I use it, but have actually found myself ocassionally wishing that the enemy choppers would just crash already :D (especially when my team has no more stingers)

On a side note I've noticed the elevation gain to be somewhat abrupt at times, more like simply moving the object higher without using the physics of flight. One time the Heli actually shot way high up into the sky in a split second. Very unrealistic. Though the point of the mod is well taken and appreciated.

puckering of the rear end

Is that some sort of tail rotor authority thing? :D

Just wanna say, Excellent work Victor! This was much needed, and the functionality is perfect as is! I dont care if the choppers zoom into the air a little too quick, the fact that they are still flying after the first run on a target is amazing!

I remember back in a lil ol game called OFP we had to use some imagination as far as graphics and animations went, but nobody cared because it was the gameplay that mattered. Some of the people in this thread need to remember that fact. If you want graphics go play COD or BF, if you want good gameplay, stick around and appriciate the work that Victor does for all of us... without pay i might add.

I think it's quite obvious that this addon was not meant to reinvent flight physics. It uses tricks to avoid immanent heli crashes to improve gameplay. The core problem (engine pilot behaviour) needs to be resolved by BIS, I can't do that through an addon.

I remember back in a lil ol game called OFP we had to use some imagination as far as graphics and animations went, but nobody cared because it was the gameplay that mattered

Amen to that - I am concerned this got a bit lost on the way. The success of the COD series shows that people don't care too much about bugs as long as they get out of the game what they like. It's really great BIS is so comitted to developing this further and that they provide betas regularly.

If I would be CEO I would print this office banner: We developed the best game ever. Now we must supply game contents (= dynamic missions) that knock people/reviewers off their chairs rightaway. Because you never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression :)

My 2 cents,

VictorFarbau

@VictorFarbau

Take note of the latest beta patch:

[60902] Changed: Helicopters crash into the ground condition improved.

[60902] Fixed: Helicopter with automatic gear control open gear earlier when main rotor failure.

You might have to check if those improvements does affect your addon or even made it obsolete (which i doubt a little).

I think it's quite obvious that this addon was not meant to reinvent flight physics. It uses tricks to avoid immanent heli crashes to improve gameplay. The core problem (engine pilot behaviour) needs to be resolved by BIS, I can't do that through an addon.

Agreed. I don't think anyone is implying the mod isn't worth having or that it should reinvent the AI pilot behaviour!

My tests with beta 60902:

Using the demo mission I uploaded here:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/vftcas

In this mission I just placed to Mi-8 with "Full Speed" waypoints just across the hill.

Result East with 60902:

• Mi 8 - always crashes into these treetops
  • Mi 24 - crashes with 50% probablity
  • Ka 52 - never crashes

Result West with 60902:

• MH60 - always crashes into these treetops
  • UH1Y - never crashes
  • AH-1Z - never crashes

My conclusion: the AI pilots behaviour has been improved but the heavier choppers will still crash (MH60, Mi-8, sometimes Mi24).

Looks like the values for pilot behaviour based on vehicle type still need to be fine-tuned. Alternatively, reducing the virtual weight of these choppers could also work. Dirty trick but who would notice and it would work with the current pilots flight skills :)

VictorFarbau

@VictorFarbau

Take note of the latest beta patch:

You might have to check if those improvements does affect your addon or even made it obsolete (which i doubt a little).

Victor, I couldnt see this in the beta section, this is probably even more worthy of a post in that section (unless I missed your post in the beta area).

Indeed I haven't posted it there - it was just a reaction to Myke's post about a new 60902 feature. But I will do so now...

EDIT: Developer BXBX confirmed the mentioned feature resolved a different issue (choppers not exploding when crashing into ground) and was not meant to address crash-into-tree issues. Hence, leave VFTCAS installed for the time being.

Thanks,

VictorFarbau

Edited by VictorFarbau

Chopper issues seem to have returned with 1.05. I had been enjoying worry-free helo fun, but as of 1.05 they seem to enjoy crashing into trees again even with VFTCAS on. :(

Interesting - I will check after xmas and do some testing. If flight physics were changed in 1.05 it might well be VFTCAS needs adjustments as well. I too had the feeling that in the beta versions closer to 1.05 I started seeing choppers crashing in treetops again.

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Thx, would be great Vic.

Btw, is there a chance for an update with the equipment mod u wrote. And the bug(?) that if u change drop weapons it changes back automatically after some time. Do we need it still with ace2? Sry for posting here, but it's addressed to you anyway.;)

VFTCAS - can't find a way to reproduce the crashes when VFTCAS is active. All choppers crossing hills and treetops just fine. If anyone finds a way to crash them reliably then I can work on it. Maybe the new crashes are not height related...

VFAI - I will post a maintenance version soon (including ACE compatibility). I will check for the self-enabling bug there!

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Chopper issues seem to have returned with 1.05. I had been enjoying worry-free helo fun, but as of 1.05 they seem to enjoy crashing into trees again even with VFTCAS on. :(

I haven't noticed this with or without VFTCAS. In fact I find I don't need VFTCAS anymore as they helis seem to fly much, much better now.

Hmm, I'll do some more testing and see if I can reliably repro it. I just noticed choppers clipping trees more recently, kinda odd.

edit-seems the problem occurs only on the Podagorsk island oddly.

Edited by AnimalMother92

Hi I'm really interested in this mod but I can't find any reference to its MP compatibility.

So is this mod server-side only?

Or do all players need to have it installed?

Finally can you confirm it requires CBA?

The addon needs to be present on the machine spawing the choppers. MP game - server. Local game - client. Not mentioning special situations here.

CBA is required as stated in post #1 for the extended eventhandler functions.

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Yeah, I'm finding that the MH60S will somewhat snake through valleys on its way towards a destination kilometers away. (I'm not using the most recent beta patch. I'm using the most recent official patch.)

I'm not sure VFTCAS is needed, anymore.

I'm not sure VFTCAS is needed, anymore

Feel free to do some statistical research, place 100 choppers with repeating waypoints all over the map. After 10 min, count the survivors. If consistently > 95 I'll retire the project :)

VictorFarbau

I believe soon this project can be retired - see 1st post. Good to see the improvement in flying skills :)

AI pilots cannot cross valleys properly, as soon as they clear the first descending slope they want to pick up as much speed as possible so point their nose down resulting in a fireball on the other side of the gorge.