Sign in to follow this  
itsme

Arma 3!!! Your Expectations

I think the Arma Series will continue after OA...But it will probably be four to five years before the next release. This will allow BIS to develop a new engine and gameplay technology that will blow our freakin minds....

For some reason I have a feeling that's what Wolle was getting at ever so smoothly but I'm probably wrong. I have to concur with swtx. And itsme, Yes of course. What ever form or name it may be.

I think ArmA2 has an huge potential that still was not reached or released.

There are a lot of things that still have room for improvement, not just the engine but the way people can feel the game.

I would like to see ArmA2 at its max optimization and every aspect.

Maybe in 2030 i can ask BIS for ArmA3, we never know..

Well, I'm having lots of fun with ARMA2, but here are my thoughts:

1. Move the combat out of Eastern Europe. I know they're already moving into SE Asia with OA, but I'd really like a campaign in Africa. Think of a massive version of Tonal, where you had mostly jungle and desert. Thrown in some big cities and lots of bushy areas, and you'd have a very different environment from Nogova/Sahrani/Chernarus.

2. Consider setting this campaign in the 1980s or early 1990s. It seems most games today want to showcase the latest Gee-Whiz technology (with the exception of games set in WWII). Instead, have stuff like FALs, G3s, M16A1s, and Uzis. Have little to no infantry tech beyond small-arms and flak vests. Maybe have some SAS/Delta types running around if you want to include stuff like night/thermal vision.

3. Make a game based on conflicts like the Rhodesian Bush War or the Congo Civil Wars. Having major superpowers as the combatants is cool, but it also leaves one wondering why these guys aren't nuking each other. It's far more believable (Unfortunately) that a vicious war could develop between several African nations without anyone elsewhere really giving a damn.

4. You should be able to adjust the windage and elevation of your sights. Additionally, grenade launchers should have working, adjustable sights.

5. Rocket launchers should have backblast.

6. Weapons should jam/overheat if they are subjected to intense punishment.

Edited by Sertorius21

2. Consider setting this campaign in the 1980s or early 1990s. It seems most games today want to showcase the latest Gee-Whiz technology (with the exception of games set in WWII). Instead, have stuff like FALs, G3s, M16A1s, and Uzis. Have little to no infantry tech beyond small-arms and flak vests. Maybe have some SAS/Delta types running around if you want to include stuff like night/thermal vision.

3. Make a game based on conflicts like the Rhodesian Bush War or the Congo Civil Wars. Having major superpowers as the combatants is cool, but it also leaves one wondering why these guys aren't nuking each other. It's far more believable (Unfortunately) that a vicious war could develop between several African nations without anyone elsewhere really giving a damn.

IIRC, those two ideas were actually considered by BIS when they were originally planning a sequel to OFP back around 2003-2004, when Codemasters was still going to be the publisher. There was even a site up for a while that described three 1970s-era campaigns that were going to be set in Southeastern Asia, Africa and Central Europe.

Edit: Here is the site, courtesy of web.archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20040809202940/www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/usa/press.php

Edited by badlymad

1. Move the combat out of Eastern Europe. I

:/ move yourself :/

i hate "all games about america soldier in desert/asia areas"

buy yourself SoF3, CoD x, DR

i hate "all games but the same location and units" and all "yeaaa f*** special forces with digital desert multicam and Aimpoint on everything"

i hate "all games but the same location and units" and all "yeaaa f*** special forces with digital desert multicam and Aimpoint on everything"

Exactly! Fighting "insurgents" and "terrorists" in the desert has quickly become a cliche.. and it's way too easy to come out with a plot (OMG, them damn terrrrrorrrrists have a weapon of massss destruction! Send them damn Marines in!)

I wonder if the gaming industry works like the movie industry - if you (the developer/director) agree with the revision terms the department of defense gives you, you'll get a LOT of support in any way you could think of. Basically all latest war movies are nothing but army advertisements, showcasing brave heroes and top-notch technology.. and the gaming mainstream seems to be going the same way.

Sorry, went too offtopic. What I ment to say in short is that I'm all for unorthodox settings.. no more "Iraq-like" deserts, no more "Crysis-like" jungle. Actually, I would love to see some deep winter settings, the atmosphere of dark and chilling conifer forests where your breath turns into visible clouds of steam always appealed to me. Not to mention that one of the first things said on ArmA2 "wishlists" was "We want a snow-mod!" :)

I am just curious to see what will BIS do after the OFP/ARMA series. Will ARMA2 be the final chapter?

This serie has been BIS flagship "consumer" product for almost a decade. That means it was a winner concept.

Better to put money on a new engine building upon experience or do something completely new ?

Well that's a very delicate question ...

I think a lot of request/feature posts here can simply be done with mods/user maps/addons, and not to mention what we haven't seen implemented in engine updated for Arrow Head. Though not enough for a new budget for arma3, so again I still feel its less likely to happen.

The fact that Arrowhead its self is including new engine updates missed in A2 release does seem to me to be a icing on the cake before a goodbye :)

Fantasy games, oh my.

I can see it now, as the children of the BI Dev team (whom may inherit the game rights) are sitting at home playing WoW while daddy is working on milsim's.....they're thinking, "just wait til your gone, old man", let us have a go at your engine.

the plot thickens

I hope to see another ARMA game, and I guess if there will ever be one it will be in the next 5-6 years or so, not before.

Reason for that is that I as others think that it should have a new engine, I just bought ARMA II and I really like it so far, but the engine shows its age despite delivering a very good atmosphere.

I hope they do continue the series, especially since OFP: Dragon Rising was so disapointing, and just that alone might give BIS another push as I think that Dragon Rising might be of a huge benefit for BIS since the title has introduced alot of gamers into the concept of what it tried to achieve but failed to do, so BIS with another game and a new engine could benefit from that, but as I said since I beleive a new engine would be needed and I doubt we will see it 'just around the corner' then well, I don`t know.

They do not have any competition now, well not in quality at least in my opinion, but other titles may emerge that we today do not know about.

For all these years since the original OFP I have wondered many times why we have not seen more attempts in this genre, Illusions "Enemy in sight" seemed promising from the few screens we saw, and I basically know that from their catalouge with titles as 'Vietcong', 'Hidden and dangerous I-II' and 'Mafia I', now with an upcoming sequel they would have made a better attempt then Consolemasters.

I would LOVE to see Arma 3 with a new Engine, new Animations AND in a WW2 Scenario. This would be :yay::yay::yay: but to be true i dont got many hopes on that:(

Well, I'm having lots of fun with ARMA2, but here are my thoughts:

1. Move the combat out of Eastern Europe. I know they're already moving into SE Asia with OA, but I'd really like a campaign in Africa. Think of a massive version of Tonal, where you had mostly jungle and desert. Thrown in some big cities and lots of bushy areas, and you'd have a very different environment from Nogova/Sahrani/Chernarus.

4. You should be able to adjust the windage and elevation of your sights. Additionally, grenade launchers should have working, adjustable sights.

5. Rocket launchers should have backblast.

6. Weapons should jam/overheat if they are subjected to intense punishment.

Totally agree here, great idea mate

Totally agree here, great idea mate

But there's nothing suggested there that can't/won't be made by the community which is setting one's sights rather low for a new version. I'd much rather see ArmA 3 bring things that can't be modded, like the interruptible animation system already mentioned.

well theres always the VBS series that hopefully will continue and be available to the public cos OFP-DR has shown there is no other doing what BIS have done and does. Start saving money.......

:/ move yourself :/

i hate "all games about america soldier in desert/asia areas"

buy yourself SoF3, CoD x, DR

I cited the Rhodesian Bush War and Congo Civil Wars as examples (Check and see for yourself). Those conflicts were not particularly known for extensive American involvement :j: . Most of the white people running around would probably be ex-colonials like Rhodesians, with maybe some SAS types mucking about.

But there's nothing suggested there that can't/won't be made by the community which is setting one's sights rather low for a new version.

Well, yes, the community could make a good African island. The problem is that the AI needs major work before jungle/urban combat will be decent. The AI also needs to be made less lethal and skilled, and inexperienced soldiers should spray 'n pray or quickly retreat. The AI needs to be better at simulating undisciplined troops in order to make this sort of scenario work out.

Edited by Sertorius21

But there's nothing suggested there that can't/won't be made by the community which is setting one's sights rather low for a new version. I'd much rather see ArmA 3 bring things that can't be modded, like the interruptible animation system already mentioned.

We all agree that arma 3 should use a new engine, new graphics/animation etc

but the person I quoted had a good storyline idea, which is to base Arma 3 in Africa, which again I think its an excellent idea, since we already have Europe settings, asia to come (OA) and the future in Africa (hopefully anyway)

I would LOVE to see Arma 3 with a new Engine, new Animations AND in a WW2 Scenario. This would be :yay::yay::yay: but to be true i dont got many hopes on that:(

I think they are working on it... along with Falcon 5... lol

Arma3 would be like every other milsim/ war game on the shelf, USA Vs Russia....

Arma3 would be like every other milsim/ war game on the shelf, USA Vs Russia....

Game makers seem to be very obsessed with USA vs Russia, when will they MOVE ON!!!!!

Game makers seem to be very obsessed with USA vs Russia, when will they MOVE ON!!!!!
When Russia stops being so suspicious? :P

The only thing I want for ArmA 3 is it to be much MUCH more simulator-ey than before, and a new engine.

I would love to see a flight sim or racing sim by bohemia.

Sadly in ArmA, you cant get that "hollywood" feeling (explosions and men shouting around you) that you get in CoD 1-3. :rolleyes:

Sadly in ArmA, you cant get that "hollywood" feeling (explosions and men shouting around you) that you get in CoD 1-3. :rolleyes:

I have to say, I love playing the COD campaigns, I was watching this demo gameplay of COD4 Modern Warfare 2, and it really does make you feel like you watching a hollywood movie,

But I hate the MP, so I will probably end up downloading the game just to play the campaign

View distance sucked :) Some very nice winter scenes there, loving it. But I suspect it will be like MW1 - playing the campaign is a blast, but once you restart it for a second go you realize it's the same all over again.

You can get some of that Hollywood feel if you like, but it becomes very scripted. The animations won't look as good as we have to use generic ones, but it is possible to script a lot of shooting that misses you.

The above footage was good during the stealthy sequence. When all hell broke loose, you start wondering how 50000 soldiers can miss 2. All those units without a shread of fire support? It lost all its credability at that point.

View distance sucked :) Some very nice winter scenes there, loving it. But I suspect it will be like MW1 - playing the campaign is a blast, but once you restart it for a second go you realize it's the same all over again.

You can get some of that Hollywood feel if you like, but it becomes very scripted. The animations won't look as good as we have to use generic ones, but it is possible to script a lot of shooting that misses you.

The above footage was good during the stealthy sequence. When all hell broke loose, you start wondering how 50000 soldiers can miss 2. All those units without a shread of fire support? It lost all its credability at that point.

It was on an easy mode, because it was for a tv display, however, I did try playing MW1 on Hard, and it was solid,

would love a snow weather in Arma 3 (or even Arma 2 if possible)