Sign in to follow this  
Ludovico Technique

Monsters, zombies and so on

Hey charon, how do things stand with the zedheads now in terms of the 'run towards, slow down to a walk at 3m~ have a think, attack'.

Any other progression?

Hey charon, how do things stand with the zedheads now in terms of the 'run towards, slow down to a walk at 3m~ have a think, attack'.

Any other progression?

Hmm, well the (fast) infected units basically run you over at 70% of the time.

However if there is too many units on the map the scripts slow down, which does not alter the framerate that much, but their movement is affected.

But it is still better than everything that i experimented with before.

I can make a preview of that.

This is the securing of safe-zones, so that no zombies break through.

Very hard job, the engine doesn`t even manage to do that properly. It needs lots of calculations.

They do infect humans that stand too close to the gate though.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xMSR1Gn-0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xMSR1Gn-0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by Charon Productions

Wow, great job Charon. I can't wait.

One quick question, can the zombies legs be shot out?

Charon ..I marked your words in video: "The doors kept shut by a script"..

So..this can work like a "Barricade" command in players menu-and IT WILL be

player/s responsibility to "secure" the gates when exiting or entering....otherwise..."bad things" will happen..

Wow, great job Charon. I can't wait.

One quick question, can the zombies legs be shot out?

The engine does not support dismemberment of the skeleton unfortunately.

I mean there is nothing that could not be done "somehow" like replacing the model with an exact duplicate except the leg and then setvelocity away a leg-model, so it "looks like" the leg has been shot off.

I must stay away from fancy stuff here. The weak spot is the collision and that

takes away most of the calculation resources.

A working domove command and the world would look differently ;)

@GiorgyGR: Yeah that was the idea. Luckily this attack of the zombies on

camp are a rarity, because odd side-effects can occur here. It is really really hard to get this done right, this whole mod is actually about doing the impossible with this engine.

zomg release the beta already stop teasing us :D

The engine does not support dismemberment of the skeleton unfortunately.

I mean there is nothing that could not be done "somehow" like replacing the model with an exact duplicate except the leg and then setvelocity away a leg-model, so it "looks like" the leg has been shot off.

I was talking more about making it so they have to crawl when shot in the legs.

I was talking more about making it so they have to crawl when shot in the legs.

Ah okay , misunderstood you there. Well, in some cases they do crawl when they reach critical damage.

Bringing them to a crawl prematurely would make it too easy.

One shot in the leg and you nearly immobilize a zombie would be odd.

If it would be more legshots to bring them down,they would have to be counted, which necessitates an additional variable, which in turn increases lag.

Besides the damage system can impossibly be a complex script, it needs to be executed right in the Eventhandler or the effect would be seen 3 seconds later thanks to Arma2`s new script spoil routine.

Charon,

Once you get your human Zees ready, could you please see what you can do with the dog models? I have no idea if AI can be made to work with animal zombies, but roaming packs of infection spreading zombie dogs would be way cool :cool:

Charon,

Once you get your human Zees ready, could you please see what you can do with the dog models? I have no idea if AI can be made to work with animal zombies, but roaming packs of infection spreading zombie dogs would be way cool :cool:

Would be cool, i have however not successfully been able to move a dog ingame. But maybe that can be tweaked.

It`s on the todo list (after hundreds of other things hehe).

Will post a video of fast moving infected later, still tweaking the animations.

Zombie virus antidote production must be much increased (maybe Glaxokline should make it, thats what they are good at :D ) with these fast infected, you gonna need lots of it hehe. It is a complete new experience, you really need to run a lot to escape a bunch of them, except you have superman trigger reflexes. In my tests i have been overrun by dozens of them. And with running i mean as fast as you can, not just walking backwards while shooting them.

This dog thing keeps haunting my mind, gotta try something with it.

It is a complete new experience, you really need to run a lot to escape a bunch of them, except you have superman trigger reflexes. In my tests i have been overrun by dozens of them. And with running i mean as fast as you can, not just walking backwards while shooting them.

What? So they run faster than you? :eek:

This dog thing keeps haunting my mind, gotta try something with it.

Should I be afraid by this?

What? So they run faster than you? :eek:

The rockers are really faster lol. Well they are not carrying heavy weapons and body armor hehe.

Should I be afraid by this?

Don`t know about you, but it gives me the chills :vvv:

By the way: The dog is easily attributable to the infected faction and is able to hunt and infect humans

So i just need to make a texture for it and he is done ;)

do the civillians already run away from the zeds?

Yes,

i consider making this a global variable dependent action though.

For the slow zombies it is more difficult to kill any, because the civilians run faster hehe.

And we are still not in the realms of being able to put 1000 zombies on the map without freezing the machine. Only lots of slow zombies make them effective. Mission makers have to intelligently handle respawns for them to be threatening or limit frieindly forces abilities to fight them.

For the infected you don`t need that many, speed is their advantage.

An additional idea is to have the mission maker define safe zones for each location into a global array, where the civilians will try to flee to for survivor pick-up missions.

ok nice.

oh i see you gave the mod a name already. "The Undead Mod " :)

Okay the hound is now shredding any human to pieces :D

He runs damn fast. A very hard opponent if one is shaky with the aiming hehe.

Many new sounds added to make this mod maximally atmospheric like people screaming when attacked and custom hit sounds for the undead.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgcy9zuaOc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgcy9zuaOc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Amazing, :D but aren't they a bit much "damn fast"?

Well alpha alpha alpha is all i can say man. A couple of hours work to tweak textures,animations,scripts and sounds.

The thing is that the animation set of the in-game dog is useless the way it is and won`t move the dog at all (That`s why the dog also doesn`t show up in the campaign, or at least not until as far as i played it until i got tired of waiting 10 minutes for a simple unit buy window to appear hehe).

So it has to be tweaked heavily, but i think i can tweak the transformation matrix down a bit, so it won`t run that fast.

However any dog can outrun a human, so i think it should still be faster than human units.

Absolutely outstanding work with the hounds! I think that will add an amazing variation of gameplay, having to counter both slow and fast zombies and now these infected hounds.

Well alpha alpha alpha is all i can say man. A couple of hours work to tweak textures,animations,scripts and sounds.

The thing is that the animation set of the in-game dog is useless the way it is and won`t move the dog at all (That`s why the dog also doesn`t show up in the campaign, or at least not until as far as i played it until i got tired of waiting 10 minutes for a simple unit buy window to appear hehe).

So it has to be tweaked heavily, but i think i can tweak the transformation matrix down a bit, so it won`t run that fast.

However any dog can outrun a human, so i think it should still be faster than human units.

Don't worry man, it was just a sneaky way to get more infos :D at the beginning of the video i was amazed that you actually made the dogs TO MOVE let alone attacking :D and i did not even saw the texture yet, i was to busy doing :yay::yay::yay: :P Great job,

Amazing, :D but aren't they a bit much "damn fast"?

fuck no, we need some type of challenge.

fuck no, we need some type of challenge.

I guess it is difficult to find the right speed for everyone.

Maybe i can add a fast hound and a slow(but slightly faster than humans) one.

Is anyone here an expert in multi-player scripting???

There is a couple of issues that are still uncertain to work out in MP.

I had the crazy idea to come up with the option for players to actually play

as zombies, but i am not sure if it would be a waste of time to implement it, because maybe

most people who play this are trigger-happy and would not wanna simply infect other players hehe.

A single player beta test version is certainly pretty near.

It just needs a couple of more things to prevent complaints of missing textures

etc. People are too easily too critical with things that don`t work perfectly

screw them being critical, this type of mod wasnt even expected for this game, so what ever you present it will be more then enough :D you should let me help you test it :D:D:D