Sign in to follow this  
Alex72

Vehicle tracks & Foot prints - Gone for everyone?

Like the title says. I only saw 1 or 2 guys saying there tracks is gone since the beta's. Talking ofcourse of the tracks made on the ground from tanks, cars and at some places even foot prints. Remembered before how i left visible foot prints at the base of ladders. I climbed up to be "secret" and hiding to shoot a friend and he told me over TS "you aint on the roof are you!?". And i said "yeah..! How did you know!?". Prints just below the ladder lol. :D

Anyway they have been gone since the first betas for me and at least 1 or 2 other guys. Is this the same for everyone?

And to BIS, is this supposed to be removed as a performance saver or was it just lost during the beta coding? They are really nice and it really feels like somethings missing now.

Alex

I've never seen tracks or footprints in my entire time playing this game.

Hmm, I remember seeing them in OFP, but haven't looked around for them in ArmA2.

Oh they were there. Remember the tank tracks was very long and i loved it. The tracks plus grass being bent down when driving over it left really realistic marks.

Wonder why they are gone.

I leave foot prints on the road (hmmmmm), but they are very faint and appears to be deleted extremely quickly. Less decals seems like an attempt on optimizing. Although Alex's story was fun, I've never used footprints for tracking (I prefer uber electronica magical tracking devices :D), so I don't really mind it. I didn't notice until I was made aware of it.

Hi all

I have used tracks in the dirt to track T90s when hunting them with a SMAW in Berzerk and other MP missions.

I also like the dust clounds that get raised, just as in reality they are the biggest indicator of vehicle movement.

it should be fairly easy to make the decals last longer.

ACE in ArmA and WGL had blood trails too.

Kind Regards walker

But i see no tracks at all (tanks, tyres & foot gone). Nada. Tank/vehicle tracks gone makes the game feel a bit emptier somehow.

So you mean you see them a short while? Wih that version?

In this guys "maxed settings" video, there are no Tank tracks nor foot prints. But damn at his graphics.

i never seen any tracks since i got this game

i loved it in arma1 it brought realism to the game hope this comes along one of the patches

"I've never seen tracks or footprints in my entire time playing this game."

Same here.

I have never seen tracks etc but then I dont run max settings so maybe it is optional???

I guess they would hog more resources tho...

I always ran NORMAL and i have had them since ArmA1. And they were there in the beginning in ARMA2.

Where are they BIS?

So you mean you see them a short while? Wih that version?

I was starting to believe my eyes was playing tricks with me, because I couldn't reproduce it very easily. But, I fired up the editor and placed a player unit at 010131 on the road (Chernarus). Turn off shadows. My rest is at normal. The footprint (if that is what it is at all? I'm starting to loose faith here :)) only lasts less than half a second. It's easiest to spot on the brighter parts of the asphalt surface. I used 3rd person.

I can't see anything from a tank though. But it still presses down grass. Beta exe says 1.4.0.59210.

I remember in OFP/Arma if you disabled shadows that you would lose the tracks/footprints. Maybe something happened with the new shadow engine or someone made a mistake.. :) (kinda like the smoke grenade bug, oops)

I was starting to believe my eyes was playing tricks with me, because I couldn't reproduce it very easily. But, I fired up the editor and placed a player unit at 010131 on the road (Chernarus). Turn off shadows. My rest is at normal. The footprint (if that is what it is at all? I'm starting to loose faith here :)) only lasts less than half a second. It's easiest to spot on the brighter parts of the asphalt surface. I used 3rd person.

I can't see anything from a tank though. But it still presses down grass. Beta exe says 1.4.0.59210.

Yeah i see my footprints also but under ladders in some places. They are there as they were from start. But footprints in general i never thaught of lol. Its the damn tank/tyre tracks that just POFF - gone. They were pretty long as well and it looks great when vehicles had gone down the roads etc.¨

Oh well...

I think foot prints should only be visible in suitable terrain like sand, mud etc

tank/vehicle tracks should be visible off road

I don't think I ever noticed any tracks or foot prints in A2.

Bent down grass after a tank going through it however still is present in A2 even on build 1.04.59210.

Bent down grass yes. But im fairly sure there was tracks in the early ARMA2 build(s). They were in ArmA so... Why remove them when there is a better engine here?

Im almost positive they were there in the beginning. If im wrong then please someone prove me wrong or i might gone nuts. :)

" Smartass Mod ON "

very simple test:

reinstall the game, and try without patches :-)

If youre right alex, you should c the tracks ... i can try that for you tonight, but i am at work until at least 18:00 Europe Central time ....:-)

"Smartass Mode OFF "

Well they aren't in the latest official patch either (although I do sometimes see very faint footprints). I tried changing the alphaTracks parameter and didn't get anywhere with that, either. It would probably be good to know what patch stopped them, but I've no intention of reinstalling as long as everything is working.

We just need to harass some poor sap whose computer has crashed. :)

Footprints are still visible for me, although barely.

I had to turn up some crazy fog then, thanks to some sort of alpha bug, they were clearly visible.

Don't see any proof of tire/track marks though.

I agree! Bis please, dont remove what peoples love before!

I dont understand why anyone on Bis team talk about that! track thing and foot print, are there many years before! Since Operation flashpoint, Arma 1, and now gone completly on Arma 2, i just ask something to Bis, are you sure, no more track thing and foot thing, will be more realistic? :confused:

Peoples need thats, because everyone use thats for tactical and its more real, now all the 3d model look flying above the ground, not bad!