Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

It disgusts me that developers continue to merely port console games to the PC without modifying them to conform with the PC equivalent standards, even after all the negative feedback all the other developers have received for doing just that to games over the past several years. For a genre that started on the PC, they have sold out again. It seems they will never learn.

There is a big difference between "this isnt bad" and "I like this"...

Now I realise I should just put you on ignore, but then how will I know when you're spouting bullshit about how dr's FLIR is realistic or whatnot. You just cant win :j:

/QFT

I said it was OK and I certainly don't want that to be interpreted as good. It is by no means "good".

It is distinctly average.

Eth

PS : Put him on ignore ASAP, he is only here to drag you into an argument that you can't win. That type of person will argue that water isn't wet despite all evidence to the contrary.

Back to the topic at hand:

Anyone got Fraps to work with the game?

I tried capturing something, but the outcome was a trap for epileptics - I had black frames stuck up between every 10 working frames or so.

Arma2 is like a wine i take some time to mellow, in one or two years most of you will have core i7 or i9, there will be tons of mods and faster GC and it will show potential that is not visible now for first look.

Taking the wine comparison a bit further:

OFP: DR is the gallon drum of cheapo wine. It's good when you're a cheapo wino looking to get pissed on a friday night, but you'll regret it tommorow. Because you'll get raped.

Back to the topic at hand:

Anyone got Fraps to work with the game?

I tried capturing something, but the outcome was a trap for epileptics - I had black frames stuck up between every 10 working frames or so.

Apparently that issue is common. The game just doesn't like Fraps. No one can figure out what's wrong with it though. It just seems to be an issue with DR that can probably only be fixed by CM.

Rockpapershotgun review (Jim Rossignol) ....

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/08/wit-operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising/#more-19232

Far from being the calamitous failure that some Arma 2 fans would have liked this game to be, Dragon Rising actually just a mild disappointment, but a disappointment that leads in an entirely different direction to that of Bohemia’s project. In fact, it’s almost a lesson in why Codemasters and Bohemia Interactive should never have parted ways in the first place. Each game has something the other one needs, and they’re both flawed without it.

edit: Nvm, nothing to see here :) Just got caught by the "jump to latest post" feature...

Rockpapershotgun review (Jim Rossignol) ....
Far from being the calamitous failure that some Arma 2 fans would have liked this game to be, Dragon Rising actually just a mild disappointment, but a disappointment that leads in an entirely different direction to that of Bohemia’s project. In fact, it’s almost a lesson in why Codemasters and Bohemia Interactive should never have parted ways in the first place. Each game has something the other one needs, and they’re both flawed without it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/08/wit-operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising/#more-19232

Hehe - very very true.

And apparently the FRAPs issue will be fixed in th first patch.

Thanx for posting the link!

That's the point ... for me in there:

It all makes for a tidy experience, but it’s just not very interesting. For example, there’s minimal vehicular action. By the end of Arma 2 you’re commanding – even building – an entire army, but Dragon Rising barely gets beyond small arms action. Sure, there’s a helicopter bit in the single player campaign, irregular support fire, and the odd jeep ride, but Arma 2 is all the helicopters and tanks I will ever want to see in one gaming life. Imagine my disappointment when I ran up to a tractor in Dragon Rising and realised it could not be driven. This is not the promised land.

Taking the wine comparison a bit further:

OFP: DR is the gallon drum of cheapo wine. It's good when you're a cheapo wino looking to get pissed on a friday night, but you'll regret it tommorow. Because you'll get raped.

Arma 2 is like a fine wine. It takes knowledge to fully appreciate its qualities, and it gets better over time.

According to these posts, OFP2's like cheap beer. Unremarkable and bland. Time won't help it get much better.

Arma 2 is like a fine wine. It takes knowledge to fully appreciate its qualities, and it gets better over time.

According to these posts, OFP2's like cheap beer. Unremarkable and bland. Time won't help it get much better.

And you'll get raped.

Well we have no idea yet how much CM will support this game, so we can only speculate on future fixes. It does need tweaking in many many ways, but the same can be said of "other" games. At least give them a chance - the game isnt broken out of the box, and it hasn't even been fully released yet!

Idiotic comment concerning CM and BIS parting company.

BIS do not need CM, the only thing that DR has is better performance and that's because it is so limited in scope and implementation compared to A2. If A2 was as simplistic as DR, it would run at 100 FPS as well.

The only reason we have A1/A2 is BECAUSE they parted company.

If BIS had acquiesced, we would have seen DR type FPS arcadishness long before now in the OFP/ArmA series.

This reviewer doesn't have a clue about what makes A2 great.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

My preorder from Play.com has still not been delivered :(

What is the point of preordering the bloody game if you get it AFTER everybody else who can simply walk into a shop and pick the thing up :mad:

Hopefully it will get delivered tomorrow.

I ordered the PC version, mainly because it was cheaper, and it looks to be the better package.

Now now...I think you're all being very unfair. DR is a great game. Its got it all, everything one could possibly want out of a true military simulation....

...at least that's what I would be saying in the one alternate reality in the multiverse where the above is true.

As we are not, Ill stick by my original review: "Jar Jar Binks". (Thanks Zipper5).

2 King Haggis: good fast review

I think OFP1 (8 years old game!!!) have more war feeling and realism, than this ugly sh*t as OFP2 can be. It is sorrowful. I want see some bigger rival for this czech game, but it is only dream.:fighting:

And you can't even lean around corners. I think Codemasters doesn't even care about their game. They didn't even give it CD keys. It's all about the money they get for the preorders. They know the game itselfs sucks but maybe they'll at least get rich before the whole world finds out.

A few years ago, there was a game called Soldner. It wasn't half finished and had bugs all over but it was actually better than this new Operation Flashpoint. The game flopped bigtime and that was a shame cause I really wanted to like that game as well. Anyway, when a game is bad and developers abandon the project, it's bound to flop. But if Codemasters actually get away with this stunt they pulled and sell more copies than Soldner (which I'm afraid they already have due to all the hype, PR and pre ordered copies), todays gamers deserve nothing better than to get ripped off in future.

Of course this doesn't go for all those who actually like the new Flashpoint. If you like it, you like it. It all depends on taste. If there are actually people who prefer OFP 2 over ArmA 2, well there are people who prefer a Hyundai over a Mercedes too. It's a weird world we live in. :j:

If you're not sure, wait for a demo before you buy and think before you act. I bought ArmA 2 before the demo because of the excellent experience I had with its predecessors. That was a bit of a gamble too, but fortunately my instincts were correct. ArmA 2 rocks!

*gasp* You.. You, can't drive the t.. t. t. tractor in DR? (!!!!) That's a heinous blasphemy!! Why, you should ALWAYS be able to drive the tractor! ALWAYS!!!

(Frikkin' CM jerkmonkeys :mad:) :D:D

That's OK.. I'll drink a beer. No wait, I don't want to get raped.

More and more it sounds like a kludge of some good and some very spotty features, like good draw distance, but 2D-V (vegetation), and soldiers that are drawn MUCH closer than the VD. Ok AI, but they can only hit you when not trying to, and can only supress when they do? Exaggerated a bit, but something to do with a 'cone' of fire I keep hearing about.

Makes me want the demo so much more now. I'm very curious to see the choppers go totally vertical to barely move forward and such. :butbut:

BIS do not need CM,

Well, they could definately use their budget. :p

If there are actually people who prefer OFP 2 over ArmA 2, well there are people who prefer a Hyundai over a Mercedes too. It's a weird world we live in. :j:

Excellent analogy. Some people just want something that works and is of high quality. Other people will say, "hey its got a 5 year warranty so if its broken it'll get fixed" weird :)

Well, they could definately use their budget. :p

Ok, +1 but with corporate budget comes corporate restrictions.

Please see : Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising :D

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I just bought and installed OFP2 and I think its horrible.....again I have to say there is no other game like Arma 2 on the market. Only complaint I have about Arma 2 is the stability with my system, it keeps crashing. If I could get it stable I'd be a happy camper! But OFP 2 is just horrible. Can't lean the colors are grey and just one thing after another I don't like. I love my Arma 2, but I wish it would stop crashing!

Well we have no idea yet how much CM will support this game..

prbly about that much:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<DownloadableContentPacks>

<ContentPack name="DLCPack_01" />

<ContentPack name="DLCPack_02" />

<ContentPack name="DLCPack_03" />

<ContentPack name="DLCPack_04" />

<ContentPack name="DLCPack_05" />

</DownloadableContentPacks>

They´d be stupid if the threw any more man hours into this.

In fact, i´d be surpised if dlc4 & 5 still get sales on the pc market.

Now now...I think you're all being very unfair. DR is a great game. Its got it all, everything one could possibly want out of a true military simulation....

...at least that's what I would be saying in the one alternate reality in the multiverse where the above is true.

As we are not, Ill stick by my original review: "Jar Jar Binks". (Thanks Zipper5).

For a moment, let's pretend that Arma2 didn't come out. Wasn't even on the radar and OFPDR came out. It wouldn't even be talked about.

I think the reason for all the hype is Arma2 DID come out, and it raised the bar. CM simply pre-rendered what obviously would blow away any graphics out there (pre-rendering does that. ... takes days to render a scene that lasts 2 min of video.) So, they take that pre-render couple it with basically is Arma2. Put out a couple promotional video's and the community grabs it up and goes "OFPDR will be better than arma2......)

Because Arma2 came out, then they had a whipping boy. The console people were salivating seeing Arma2's depth and wanted it. CM simply gave the illusion and marketing that it will be all that Arma2 is and more. If it wasn't for Arma2, the game would have launched, it would have been like a minor hiccup in excitement and then gone on the wayside. Like with other console games, grab the persons attention, make it RENTABLE to sell it to Blockbuster, Gamefly whatever, move on. That's the console industry, give them a little "fix" until something else comes along.

PC gamers are more demanding if something doesn't hold our interest for a minimum of 40 hours (just my timeframe) then it's "Short". The console games don't have the depth or interaction. If something holds their attention longer than a ferret on crack, then it's LONG. Yes I'm making general assumptions, but when was the last game you played on a console (other than sports games) that kept you interested as long as a good PC game? I can't think of a single one.

On-topic: I'm going to be getting DR from a friend for free (yes, he dislikes it that much. He paid full price for it). PC version, of course. When I get it, I'm going to test it out and put together a DR vs ArmA II comparison video, which I will upload when finished. I just figure that the game could use a review from someone who played the original OFP since it's demo release, and continues to play it's sequels today.

I'd really appreciate this.

Myself played DR for about 45 minutes in SP and about 90 minutes in MP and at this point I stopped because it couldn't convince me in any way like Cold War Crisis, Modern Warfare, Stalker or even Arma2 did.

The essential point of a game, the point the wheat is seperated from the chaff, the point you're so compelled of the gameplay and storyline, you like to carry on at all cost even if you have to stop because your life depends on it. It doesn't exist in Dragon Rising at all.