Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

I'm using a Razer Abyssus for almost 2 years now, and it's still work perfectly. Fits your hand so you can headshot any threat in Arma !

Damn I just saw that Roccat will release new Kone Versions in a month or two (Kone Pure; Kone XTD) The Pure series looks interesting and durability seems to be an important selling point (yeah they know that they f*** up with the older Kones) so I guess I will wait a little longer.

So I'm thinking about buying a custom gaming pc from cyberpowerpc.com

What do you guys think of this website?

I don't really want to build it myself though but I can't decide what website I should buy it from.

What do you guys think? Is that a good website or is there a better one out there?

Thanks.

Recently I find that my harddrive almost ran out of space, so I went out to brought a new WD 1TB hard drive and through about doing some re partitioning on all my other older drivrs, here comes the problem: I own an Cosair force 3 120GB SSD that I used as main system drive, and I divided it into 2 partition, one for system and one for software and gaming purpose. now that I wanted to resize the partition, is there anyway to do that without having to reinstalling windows 7 again ?

Recently I find that my harddrive almost ran out of space, so I went out to brought a new WD 1TB hard drive and through about doing some re partitioning on all my other older drivrs, here comes the problem: I own an Cosair force 3 120GB SSD that I used as main system drive, and I divided it into 2 partition, one for system and one for software and gaming purpose. now that I wanted to resize the partition, is there anyway to do that without having to reinstalling windows 7 again ?

You can use shrink/extend volume from inside Disk Management.

Example if you have 2 60GB partitions, W7 on 1 and Apps on 2, and you want to expand the W7, you would backup the Apps partition and delete it.

Then you could expand the W7 one to the full drive or leave some space and create a 2nd smaller partition.

If I remember correct you can only shrink/extend to the end of the drive (right side).

Shrinking a partition is a bit trickier cause you would want the end of the partition to be empty, so you usually run a defrag to move the data to the start of the partition.

That's ok for a HDD but on a SSD, defrag should be avoided and I think SSDs would show as fragmented and limit how much you could shrink.

[Help] I just picked up a GB M8000x mouse, it wont scroll ? up is jumpy and there is no down for web or game. Drivers, setup all have been checked.

Has body seen this? Next-generation heatsink has no fan at all?

I think I've just found a whole new way to slice off my finger when I go sticking my hand in my machine while its on!

The only funny thing I see with this cooler is everything else in your machine is going to be all dusty and you CPU heatsink will be nice and shiny.

Edited by Haystack15

HmmI don´t think that this will be better than a big cooler. Reasons= Bad Airflow

I hope this is the right place....

I currently have my AMD Phenom II X6 1100T overclocked to 3.7Ghz. I've had it this way for about a week now and she runs stable. The maximum temperature I have seen while playing ArmA for about 3 hours was 31ºC with ambient temperature of 20ºC. I'm thinking I want to try to get her up to 4.0Ghz, but I'll have to do more tinkering.

I also have an AMD 6950 with the BIOS flashed to that of an AMD 6970.

Anyone else here overclock their CPU or GPU?

@Nicholas: I usually don't overclock and\or do just mild overclock so I can't share much knowledge on this but what are you using to measure the CPU temps? Seems to me that at 3.7Ghz with around 30ºC is rather underestimated?

Also according to other users the MAD chip might become unstable running at 4Ghz but cooling and high frequency RAM can make quite bit of difference. Was your attempt, if done already successful?

a few PC related question (in regard of Arma 2/3 too):

1 ) which VGA manufacturer make most reliable cards ? or there is no rule ? some people say that we should not touch Palit, others say that Gainward is good, next people say that Gainward is the same as Palit but under different name , so which would be most reliable ? Gygabyte, MSI ? EVGA ?

2 ) Arma2, Arma3 performance, i remember old topics and opinions of people which say that it is not matter how many cores has CPU, but speed of CPU core, so what would be better ? 4 core "faster" GHz or 6 core "slower" GHz ?

1 AMD X4 FX-4100 ( 3600 Mhz/3800 Mhz TURBO, 12MB cache, 95W ) BOX 350.00 430.00

2 AMD X6 FX-6100 ( 3300 Mhz/3900 Mhz TURBO, 12MB cache, 95W ) BOX 382.00 470.00

3 AMD X4 FX-4170 ( 4200 Mhz, 12MB cache, 125W ) BOX 415.00 510.00

4 AMD X6 FX-6200 ( 3800 Mhz, 12MB cache, 125W ) BOX 447.00 550.00

3) power consumption, 95W is "EE" , 125W is 25% more, but question is :

- whether cooling (Noctua : https://www.cooling.pl/arctic-cooling-freezer-13-pro,produkt,553063.html?from_category=103_78_154 similar to this one ) see problem in those 30W more or for such cooler it is not a problem (i mean loudness, power consumption for power unit, temperature performance)

4) is Nvidia GT650 2GB is good value for money idea ? (on this level of money, don't say about uber-hiper cards)

5) power consumption of PC with GT 650, AMD cpu shown above, 4 GB DDR, 1 DVDR, 1 hard disc , 550W is enough ?

6) can you buy in your country Windows OEM along with mouse, DDR etc ? or just whole new PC with company-stickers ?

7) Windows 7 Home vs. PRO when it comes to gaming, graphics ? if you earn money on PC , can you use Home or it must be Pro ?

8) can old graphic soft (for example ooold OEMs bought along with printer, scaner) from XP era or 98 era, can work on 7?

9) what is better for gaming and graphics ? ISP or PVA ? or no matter cause both are good ?

10) can i have on one HDD 2 partitions with 2 systems (XP, 7 ) or if something is saved in 7, than catalog cannot be read by XP and viceversa (permissions for catalogs, folders)

11) i observed that some mouses "loose" wheel function , is it connected with hardware or software ? or hard to tell, also i observed that some mouses "dance themselves" when put on desk of table , some not, Logitech cheap mouse behaves good on my table , but Modecom mouse "moves without touch" from time to time , is it a fact that only Logitech is reliable ? i don't use any pads, i have simply desk table on which i use it,

thanx in advance

@Nicholas: I usually don't overclock and\or do just mild overclock so I can't share much knowledge on this but what are you using to measure the CPU temps? Seems to me that at 3.7Ghz with around 30ºC is rather underestimated?

Also according to other users the MAD chip might become unstable running at 4Ghz but cooling and high frequency RAM can make quite bit of difference. Was your attempt, if done already successful?

I was using Core Temp to get the temperature information.

a few PC related question (in regard of Arma 2/3 too):

1 ) which VGA manufacturer make most reliable cards ? or there is no rule ? some people say that we should not touch Palit, others say that Gainward is good, next people say that Gainward is the same as Palit but under different name , so which would be most reliable ? Gygabyte, MSI ? EVGA ?

2 ) Arma2, Arma3 performance, i remember old topics and opinions of people which say that it is not matter how many cores has CPU, but speed of CPU core, so what would be better ? 4 core "faster" GHz or 6 core "slower" GHz ?

1 AMD X4 FX-4100 ( 3600 Mhz/3800 Mhz TURBO, 12MB cache, 95W ) BOX 350.00 430.00

2 AMD X6 FX-6100 ( 3300 Mhz/3900 Mhz TURBO, 12MB cache, 95W ) BOX 382.00 470.00

3 AMD X4 FX-4170 ( 4200 Mhz, 12MB cache, 125W ) BOX 415.00 510.00

4 AMD X6 FX-6200 ( 3800 Mhz, 12MB cache, 125W ) BOX 447.00 550.00

3) power consumption, 95W is "EE" , 125W is 25% more, but question is :

- whether cooling (Noctua : https://www.cooling.pl/arctic-cooling-freezer-13-pro,produkt,553063.html?from_category=103_78_154 similar to this one ) see problem in those 30W more or for such cooler it is not a problem (i mean loudness, power consumption for power unit, temperature performance)

4) is Nvidia GT650 2GB is good value for money idea ? (on this level of money, don't say about uber-hiper cards)

5) power consumption of PC with GT 650, AMD cpu shown above, 4 GB DDR, 1 DVDR, 1 hard disc , 550W is enough ?

6) can you buy in your country Windows OEM along with mouse, DDR etc ? or just whole new PC with company-stickers ?

7) Windows 7 Home vs. PRO when it comes to gaming, graphics ? if you earn money on PC , can you use Home or it must be Pro ?

8) can old graphic soft (for example ooold OEMs bought along with printer, scaner) from XP era or 98 era, can work on 7?

9) what is better for gaming and graphics ? ISP or PVA ? or no matter cause both are good ?

10) can i have on one HDD 2 partitions with 2 systems (XP, 7 ) or if something is saved in 7, than catalog cannot be read by XP and viceversa (permissions for catalogs, folders)

11) i observed that some mouses "loose" wheel function , is it connected with hardware or software ? or hard to tell, also i observed that some mouses "dance themselves" when put on desk of table , some not, Logitech cheap mouse behaves good on my table , but Modecom mouse "moves without touch" from time to time , is it a fact that only Logitech is reliable ? i don't use any pads, i have simply desk table on which i use it,

thanx in advance

#1 - I obviously :) haven't tried every VGA manufacturer out there but pretty reliable are considered - MSI, sapphire, asus, evga. In the end I'd advice to pick manufacturer that has service center in your home country or at least

somewhere in EU.

(I'd pick up MSI or sapphire) Most cards should last ages if GFX voltage sin't increased (too) much anyways.

#2 - In a nut shell; Faster 4 core than slower 6-8 core for gaming, Period. As Icebraker suggested I'd probably wait few more and see where donations can take you. I'd stress that intel, while pricey at times, is the preferable choice, due to low power consumptions

and pretty efficient core(s) performance. On the other hand, AMD Mboards tend to be little cheaper and AMD sockets are usually long lasting, aka don't change much, unlike in intel case. Best would be to see if (AMD) piledriver delivers and than compare.

#3 If the Noctua is going to fit your CPU socket and touch by it's dispersion surface fully (or even bit over CPU itself), the cooler should work real well because it has been designed for much higher CPU-TDP, whereas todays CPU's tend to generate

much less heat. Again, as long as the cooler fits (properly), you're set.

#4 I can't find much at all about GT650, unless it's a mobile version aka GT650M. From what I can gather though, looks like old-er 550Ti or HD7700 would perform little better. I believe the HD 7770 is available in 2Gb Vram too.

#5 Your Corsair 550W unit will be fine.

#6 OEM is for pre-build PC's only or at least I always thought so. If arma works well under windows 8, you could postpone getting OS by downloading Win 8 consumer preview. Not by much however, as it ''expires'' by January 15. 2013. Still, few good months.

#7 For gaming, ''purely'', there's little sense getting anything more than home premium x64. { for example, Win 7 ultimate allows to download and install multiple different language pack(s) and display desired language by replacing the original language }

#8 Software developed under XP should still work under Win7. I however doubt any older than XP will as well.

#9 If you're refering to display panel, there are many kinds of ISP technologies. (IPS M, IPS V and others) Some ISP are combined with other technologies, hence ISP-M for example but are used for nothing less than professional photo\video editing and

price goes according it's target base. I have a dell U2312 IPS panel which became very affordable lately and could definitely recommend. There are many more manufacturers doing IPS -IPS LED displays. In short, IPS over LCD (LCD-TN) any time.

#10 Yes, you can have dual boot HDD. Easy to manage and make partition(s) too.

#11 Personal preference but I found microsoft or some logitech can be decent mice on budget.

Welcome :)

Was wondering if anyone had any reccommendations for an upgrade from and AMD Phenom II X4 945 processor. I was looking on NewEgg and they only have one Phenom II for sale and I wasn't sure if it was worth upgrading to that because I'd have to buy a new motherboard along with it. I mainly use my computer for Video games (obviously) and Music editing for my band (recording, mixing, and mastering songs). I was looking to get an FX series processor but I've heard they're not worth buying, so...

Edited by Rebel12340

regarding point 4, i mistyped letter X, oops seems it was important letter, of course GTX 650 :

21 GeForce GTX 650 1024 MB DDR5 ( 1058/5000, 128-bit ) PALIT 374.00 460.00

22 GeForce GTX 650 1024 MB DDR5 ( 128-bit ) GIGABYTE OC 382.00 470.00

23 GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024 MB DDR5 ( 910/4104, 192-bit ) ASUS DC 382.00 470.00

24 GeForce GTX 650 1024 MB DDR5 ( 1058/5000, 128-bit ) GAINWARD 390.00 480.00

25 GeForce GTX 650 2048 MB DDR5 ( 128-bit ) GIGABYTE OC

regarding point 3:

i have that Noctua since 5 years already thats why i was asking about AMD AM3+ chip, cause i have AM2 version of this Noctua and probably it will work for years more (or it is nonsense to keep 5 y.o. fan cooler and better buy new "the same" but new cause OR "it will break sooner or later and thinking about CPU having cooler is sensless thinking" ) ?

regarding point 7 - can i work (job, money earn) having "Home" or only "Pro" (in your country?) I am trying to compare M$ licensens in different countries too see if we are equally treated or mistreated,

regarding point 9 - i have Samsung Syncmaster 971P monitor, it is veeeeeeeeeeeeeery good quality, work etc. but ... 1280*1024 , so not enough for tools (all Oxygen BI Tools properties and work space for addons) thats why i though about new panel, with 1600*1200 pixels or something like this, so i thought PVA or IPS technology (of course not TN because i do photos : https://picasaweb.google.com/112160154631302983944 ) so i cant use TN matrix, only PVA or IPS , but which is better for gaming (faster)

Edited by vilas

Small question from me - I think about changing my DDR3 RAM from 4Gb to 8 Gb. Will it give me significant performance increase in Arma2?

as far as i know this forum posts from past, so Arma2 engine loves: CPU power, fast HDD discs (reading all textures) , VGA and RAM is on third place, so maybe you will have increase in FPS but probably small, maybe loading maps will be faster for few percent ?

or am i wrong, probably only increace you would see would be between 1 and 2 GB, but 4 and 8 ? probably 4 GB is enough (i have 2 GB)

regarding point 4, i mistyped letter X, oops seems it was important letter, of course GTX 650 :
regarding point 3:

i have that Noctua since 5 years already thats why i was asking about AMD AM3+ chip, cause i have AM2 version of this Noctua and probably it will work for years more (or it is nonsense to keep 5 y.o. fan cooler and better buy new "the same" but new cause OR "it will break sooner or later and thinking about CPU having cooler is sensless thinking" ) ?

If you're talking about the fan getting too loud or just braking down, the cooler (as many others) should be able to cool the CPU even without any fan attached whatsoever and even than you should be replace it by quieter or more efficient fun with ease. Obviously, that depend on if, or how much is the CPU OC'ed.

regarding point 7 - can i work (job, money earn) having "Home" or only "Pro" (in your country?) I am trying to compare M$ licensens in different countries too see if we are equally treated or mistreated.

I Believe this is somewhat similar to the EULA here. As long as you you paid for the license you're entitled to use it however you like, unless altering or redistributing the software - files on their own. I could be wrong though because walls of txt is boring me to death :) (licenses)

regarding point 9 - i have Samsung Syncmaster 971P monitor, it is very good quality, work etc. but ... 1280*1024 , so not enough for tools (all Oxygen BI Tools properties and work space for addons) thats why i though about new panel, with 1600*1200 pixels or something like this, so i thought PVA or IPS technology (of course not TN because i do photos : https://picasaweb.google.com/112160154631302983944 ) so i cant use TN matrix, only PVA or IPS , but which is better for gaming (faster)

I would highly recommend going for 1080p. You can always lower the resolution.Also afaik, most today IPS panels are quick (grey to grey) so I wouldn't worry about some ghosting. There are some budget IPS panels like AOC or Viewsonic and more but I would recommend going trough a review first and thats to say if price difference is quite significant btw say, viewsonic or dell, otherwise I'd grab a dell.

As for your concerns about prices back at home from this thread - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85067-VILAS-addons-release-thread/page186

http://www.pixmania.pl/pl/pl/home.html - They can be expensive too but they do have some great deals from time to time. Just leaving it here as an option.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ - Amazon rocks and I'm pretty positive they deliver to PL as well. Many items are at the best price and free delivery (EU*) is not uncommon at all.

( look for ''eligible for free delivery'' while listing trough desired item(s) )

Small question from me - I think about changing my DDR3 RAM from 4Gb to 8 Gb. Will it give me significant performance increase in Arma2?

Benchmark wise, probably yes but other than that, not really. Maybe for arma 3.

i have read that GeForce GTX 560 1024 MB DDR5 ( 830/4000, 256-bit ) GIGABYTE OC will be better and faster than GeForce GTX 650 2048 MB DDR5 ( 128-bit ) GIGABYTE OC ?

first has 1 GB memory, second 2 GB,

first cost 230 USD in PL, second 175 USD in PL, is it really much faster or only few percent ? cause gamers sometimes pay much more money to see few FPS more, but i would not pay 30% more to get for example 5 or 7 % better performance, but what can be "value for money" of them ?

http://www.hwcompare.com/13473/geforce-gtx-560-vs-geforce-gtx-650/

twice bigger power consumption is not good sound for mee (more noise of fans, bigger heat, bigger probablility of broke)

Is it possible for you to buy your computer spare parts in Germany? It will be cheaper for you (if shipping is possible and not expensive).

Like this: http://www.alternate.de/html/product/listing.html?navId=1346&tk=7&lk=1935

The GTX 650 is a lower mid-range gpu, I presume it is better to buy the 560 ti instead.

oh f***

in German stronger PC is cheaper than in PL weaker PC, where the hell i was born :(

for the same money i can have cheaper PC from Germany (where people earn 6 times more) :O

god... i just set strong PC with Nvidia 660 GTX and ... it is cheaper set than in PL for almost 100 EU

but probably Polish banks will sure take 100 PL for money transfer to DE, sorry cause i would have to go to politicall offtopic, really, i just set this and i have looked , 432 EU and i have parts with Nvidia 660 :O

in Poland i have for this maximum 560 GTX with twice less memory

:banghead:

i wonder what would be money transfer cost (bank's greed) + shipment,

i alredy have all Paypal donations on my bank account and it is 345 Euro (cause of course Paypal took their "exchange difference 3%" + "transfer rate ca 4-5% " etc. Paypal PL took ca. 7-8% of people's donations, official exchange rate is 3.21 PLN per 1 USD , Paypal exchanges it at 3.11 PLN per 1 USD, when somone sends 100 USD, Payapal show "your account income 95.40 USD" )

Edited by vilas

oh f***

in German stronger PC is cheaper than in PL weaker PC, where the hell i was born :(

for the same money i can have cheaper PC from Germany (where people earn 6 times more) :O

god... i just set strong PC with Nvidia 660 GTX and ... it is cheaper set than in PL for almost 100 EU

but probably Polish banks will sure take 100 PL for money transfer to DE, sorry cause i would have to go to politicall offtopic, really, i just set this and i have looked , 432 EU and i have parts with Nvidia 660 :O

in Poland i have for this maximum 560 GTX with twice less memory

:banghead:

i wonder what would be money transfer cost (bank's greed) + shipment,

i alredy have all Paypal donations on my bank account and it is 345 Euro (cause of course Paypal took their "exchange difference 3%" + "transfer rate ca 4-5% " etc. )

And a little trip to Germany, just long enough to buy a computer ?

And a little trip to Germany, just long enough to buy a computer ?

I'm sure it worth it.

Yeah, I suppose it will be cheaper and faster for you, Vilas, to visit Germany and buy what you need in some local store. And then return home and assamble new PC:)