Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

C-PVA panels usually have shorter reaction time but the image quality isn't comparable to s-pva. last year I had the chance to test a calibrated eizo 30'' for one week and I must say that the image quality of that thing is awesome.

yea, but prices of EIZO... kill

in my country it is 700 Euro for cheapest

i have such money for whole PC

that EIZO small monitor cost

but if you had to choose :

NEC 22 LCD with S-PVA (at least they claim S-PVA) for 1560 moeny and Samsung 24 LCD with C-PVA for 1100 money?

what would you choose having in mind Arma2 and photography/graphics/textures/colors

What is the reaction time of the NEC? Having photography in mind I'd always prefer s-pva. I have only c-pva (24'') but it's ok.

It's your decision. Do you prefer a bic screen over better image quality or are better colors more important. That is what you need to decide.

i just wonder if difference is spot-able

i must find shop where they will show me both (supermarket) cause i will be buing on-line (hard to see lcd by internet, hehehe)

now i have monitor Samsung 971P, it was told to be PVA with 6 ms reaction

but i must go to shop and see if PVA v. CPVA vs. SPVA difference exist :]

Few weeks i asked if i could upgrade my Dell desktop with a new graphics card. I found what power supply it has, and i now know that it will need to be replaced with a more powerful one.

The desktop I have is a Dell Inspiron 570.

These are the slots it has: PCle x16(1), PCle x1(2), PCl(2).

Can I upgrade with these slots?

If your system has enuigh power && has a PCI-e power cable or available molex connector to support the GPU it will work! If you dont want to reinstall your OS after the upgrade it will be best to remove the drivers before you install the card.

Any opinions on Gigabyte's GeForce GT 240 gfx card?

current graphics card is a 8600 gts 256mb I believe, so its got to be worth the cheap upgrade

all I play is Arma2 and Arrowhead, anyone had any experience using this card for the arma games?

thanks

Idd much rather send you towards a new or use 260 / 270 / 280 card they are not so expencive (below 100eurie depends on where you are from) sinds the 500 series came on the market. The difference between manufacterers are usually not more then 1% of the total speed execpt the XXX, Top and OC models that is!

Any opinions on Gigabyte's GeForce GT 240 gfx card?

current graphics card is a 8600 gts 256mb I believe, so its got to be worth the cheap upgrade

all I play is Arma2 and Arrowhead, anyone had any experience using this card for the arma games?

thanks

What I seriously recommend (which I will also do) is to buy an used ATI 4890 1GB. It can run ArmA2 pretty well and beats GTX260 core216 when using filters and higher resolutions. I was able to find 4890 for roughly 70€.

good advice wcrviera! If there's not enough money for at least a gtx460 you'll be way more happy with a HD4890.

i wonder what do you think about Dell 2209 monitor ? i want to choose it for new PC, is it good choice ?

buy a notebook cooler, and use a wallsocket for power, if nothing helps call supplier!

Hi guys,

need your help as I just bought a new HD Barracuda 1TB 7200 as well as replaced OS with Windows 7 64bit.

I had nightmare install issues, took back both the OS (got lucky they replaced) and HD and it installed seemingly perfectly. The only problem I have now is that every large size file I download I get CRC errors while trying to unzip/unrar.

My system: Intel E8500 duo core stock

Nvidia 460 gtx stock

8 gigs ram (4 sticks x 2gigs) ddr2 800

win 7 64 bit

Asus pq5 Motherboard ( couldnt install MB driver disk with this OS -dont know if I need or not)

I noticed that I couldnt install any of my games unless I took out all but 1 stick ram -could this effect downloads as well? I ran Windows Memory test kit on all 8 and it said they were fine. Dont really understand Mem-test so havent tries that yet.

Edit: Okay, works now. Seems to be the extra Ram sticks or possibly the Mother slots -have no way of knowing lol.

Edited by froggyluv

does anyone have any solid information about the upcoming Bulldozer Zambezi procesor (google was unable to help me out):

1. release date (estimate) - all i could find is it Q1 2011 (that ends in march).

2. price estimation (i heard the 8 core will be first to launch, then the 6 and 4 cores)

I am looking to upgrade my other PC, and i am uncertain i should go for a i7 2600, or wait till end march for a AMD...(i use all my PCs as hybrid between gaming and workstation)

i already own a i7 970 6 core, but the other one(Q6600 4GB ram) is getting old and rusty :)

does anyone have any solid information about the upcoming Bulldozer Zambezi procesor (google was unable to help me out):

1. release date (estimate) - all i could find is it Q1 2011 (that ends in march).

2. price estimation (i heard the 8 core will be first to launch, then the 6 and 4 cores)

I am looking to upgrade my other PC, and i am uncertain i should go for a i7 2600, or wait till end march for a AMD...(i use all my PCs as hybrid between gaming and workstation)

Out of my head: Zambezi is likely to be released in Q2 2011. And the paper launch will be made somewhere this week on the CeBit expo.

Pricing is still not known, but considering the fact it is made and sold by AMD it shouldn't be more expensive than Intel hardware.

Out of my head: Zambezi is likely to be released in Q2 2011. And the paper launch will be made somewhere this week on the CeBit expo.

cheers, i'll keep an eye out on cebit

Pricing is still not known, but considering the fact it is made and sold by AMD it shouldn't be more expensive than Intel hardware.

depends on what intel hardware we talking about. I7 2600k is about 300Eus, and i really doubt an 8core Zambezi is gonna be under...It is also a matter of mainboard, since a good p67 LGA 1155 is around 200-250.

The choice between the AMD and Intel has always been also related to the price of the MB, not only the CPU.

depends on what intel hardware we talking about. I7 2600k is about 300Eus, and i really doubt an 8core Zambezi is gonna be under...It is also a matter of mainboard, since a good p67 LGA 1155 is around 200-250.

The choice between the AMD and Intel has always been also related to the price of the MB, not only the CPU.

I don't think the Zambezi will compete with the mid-range Core i7 2600K but rather the upcoming Sandy Bridge-EN processors.

I don't think the Zambezi will compete with the mid-range Core i7 2600K but rather the upcoming Sandy Bridge-EN processors.

the 6 core 970 i currently have was about 900EUs, the 980X was around 1100 at the time i bought it...

SO, if the 8 core (8 real cores, no hyper threading though) could go around the 700 mark easily...That is something i am not willing to spend for my second PC though (especially after the 2600EUs spent on the current one)..

cheers anyways

Pufu, im looking at the i5/i7 2600K myself, but I read theres a smallish error (enough to make intel change something) with the cougar chipset, From what ive read, the sata 3gb/s sockets are overheating when transfering large files through the thing. New mobos out in April afaik

Ive heard for applications like Arma 2 the I5 is the best Preformance/Price ratio (that is in the Intel range at least).