Sign in to follow this  
Solus

"Ragdoll" falling from buildings

Had a look in my rpt after a message about missing addon. I was testing a MPmission locally on my comp, no other players.

Addon slx_ragdoll (entry SLX_RagDollBody) not found in the list of active addons.
Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.
slx_ragdoll
Addon slx_ragdoll (entry SLX_GroundVector) not found in the list of active addons.
Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.
slx_ragdoll

Just a longshot: Wouldnt playing a random death anim while falling make it more lifelike (or deathlike...)?

Just a longshot: Wouldnt playing a random death anim while falling make it more lifelike (or deathlike...)?

Unless its the backwards one when falling forward. :D But i agree it could look better maybe.

Tested this with having snipers in towers and it was cool to see them fall down. It isnt too hollywood i think when units stand close to edges. You should fall in real life also when killed instantly standing at an edge. Unless the power from the round threw you back onto the roof.

Cant simulate every little thing can we. :) However good work on this. Its things like this that pushes us forward towards better and better addons. Im sure this will have impact and be refined even more.

Alex

Ii is not really Ragdoll, but a smart workaraound actually.

It's not ragdoll at all. Ragdoll is when the player character's limbs are free to move within the constraints of it's joints. This shows rigid characters.

Yep, nice trick, funny situations in perspective. :D

But calling this nice addon Ragdoll hmm ..

Just watching an artillery strike on the forest, got me thinking...

How exactly are tree "deaths" handled? They seem to have preset ways of falling, but is there any way to apply a similar physics/ragdoll effect on them once they are destroyed/knocked over?

This has nothing to do with ragdoll. Stop calling it that!

Okay, whatever, a "physics" model. The OP was able to apply a basic physics system to a "static" object. I was wondering if the same could be done to other objects in the Arma2 world.

Okay, whatever, a "physics" model. The OP was able to apply a basic physics system to a "static" object. I was wondering if the same could be done to other objects in the Arma2 world.

That is indeed what the author has done and it's worthy, it makes dead objects slide on sloping surfaces. It would be nice to see it happen to other objects too.

As you know, in the game dead character actors actually become stiff after they've finished their death anim. It's like super quick riga mortis. Removing this and making them limp instead of rigid *would* be much closer to ragdoll and would really improve immersion. Many, on reading the thread title, thought this is what he'd bought to the game and might be disappointed he hasn't actually done that.

Is it possible to have ballsocket joints inside Arma 2 with physical objects? Not trying to sound wacky but could it be possible to make a "skeleton" that is around the size of the soldier and when you would shoot the soldier and kill him the "skeleton" would come in and the model bone positions would be parented to the joints?

That is indeed what the author has done and it's worthy, it makes dead objects slide on sloping surfaces. It would be nice to see it happen to other objects too.

As you know, in the game dead character actors actually become stiff after they've finished their death anim. It's like super quick riga mortis. Removing this and making them limp instead of rigid *would* be much closer to ragdoll and would really improve immersion. Many, on reading the thread title, thought this is what he'd bought to the game and might be disappointed he hasn't actually done that.

Thank you, exactly what I wanted to hear! Now I wish I had some modding talent...this feature alone would GREATLY improve immersion.

And there would be no performance hit. I just worry that it is hard coded into the engine and won't be able to be modded out.

Is it possible to have ballsocket joints inside Arma 2 with physical objects? Not trying to sound wacky but could it be possible to make a "skeleton" that is around the size of the soldier and when you would shoot the soldier and kill him the "skeleton" would come in and the model bone positions would be parented to the joints?

I was thinking about that too. Somehow I think we would have to code oour own physics for the "joints" and then let the game's physics system do the rest. :eek:

and then let the game's physics system do the rest. :eek:

Key problem to my understanding is still how to sync all that seemingly random movement in multiplayer mode. Sliding objects hitting other objects along the way which also start moving.... the end state would probably look different on each machine.

VictorFarbau

Key problem to my understanding is still how to sync all that seemingly random movement in multiplayer mode. Sliding objects hitting other objects along the way which also start moving.... the end state would probably look different on each machine.

VictorFarbau

Just sync on the torso only. I doubt there'd be much benefit in syncing everything :)

Just sync on the torso only. I doubt there'd be much benefit in syncing everything :)

Syncing continuous object movement from server to clients would result in the same jumping objects that we see today whenever a vehicle is object on a foreign machine.

I could imagine this: the server would have to predict a path the object/torso would follow - then leave the rest to the local machine. The position of arms and legs in final state on each machine is not really critical anyway.

But the movement has to be local - nothing would look worse than a badly sync'ed ragdoll jumping up/down/left/right during its fall.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Just wondering, aren't grenade animations sync'd? The bouncing seems to be physics based as well.

Awesome, had no idea modding could be taken to this extent! Good job, will def give this a shot.

Just wondering, aren't grenade animations sync'd? The bouncing seems to be physics based as well.

In ArmA1 they used the same physics as bullets IIRC. The 'bounce' was basically a ricochet. :p