Sign in to follow this  
Bob117

Using the attachTo command

I've heard that if I use the attachTo command properly you can get helos to lift mbt's is this true? if so how can i do this?

Yes, thats true. For example if you spawn a tank and a helicopter, and name the tank : "tank" and name the helicopter : "chopper" And then, in the tanks init box put "this attachTo [chopper,[0,0,0]]; This SetDir 180;" Then all the numbers inside the "[]" is for height & position etc. And the "setdir" is for setting the direction for the object your attaching.

Also if you wanted you could get a rope inbewteen the two to make it look even more good ;) Which is a little addon im making atm :)

Edited by konyo

Yeah it works but I want it to be able to detach the tank too. is that possilbe?

Edited by Bob117

Yeah thats possible too, if you make a waypoint for the helicopter to go to.. and in waypoints init box. I think you put something like.. "detach player" Only if the person in the tank, is player.

Or if its empty.. i think you put.. "this detach"

So if i put this detach command after the attachto command i can attach and deattach a tank whenever i want just like humvees and other vehicles

not sure but dont think "detach player" will work if the player is in a vehicle. might, but safer bet to just use the name of the vehicle like "detach tank1" or whatever.

If your playing arma2 that is a dedicated "simulation" emphasis on the word simulation, why are you telling someone how to enable a helo to carry a tank or M1A2 which weighs 67.6 tons and a blackhawk has a payload of capacity of 6 tons. Not a c-130 (36 tons), which can only carry an APC, but a C-5 Galaxy has the capacity to carry an M1A2 with a payload of 180,000lbs or 90 tons.

Theoretically you are enabling him to carry an M1A2 with a littlebird or a blackhawk , so I guess you have to ask yourself, how realistic is that and how much of a simulation is that??? While you can change a script to do pretty much anything, you have to ask yourself, is this really the correct thing to do, is this a cheat? I would say its the incorrect thing to do and also its a cheat by being able to do it. Sure its game, but to be a simulation it needs to have credibility.

Edited by Devildog

If your playing arma2 that is a dedicated "simulation" emphasis on the word simulation, why are you telling someone how to enable a helo to carry a tank or M1A2 which weighs 67.6 tons and a blackhawk has a payload of capacity of 6 tons. Not a c-130 (36 tons), which can only carry an APC, but a C-5 Galaxy has the capacity to carry an M1A2 with a payload of 180,000lbs or 90 tons.

Theoretically you are enabling him to carry an M1A2 with a littlebird or a blackhawk , so I guess you have to ask yourself, how realistic is that and how much of a simulation is that??? While you can change a script to do pretty much anything, you have to ask yourself, is this really the correct thing to do, is this a cheat? I would say its the incorrect thing to do and also its a cheat by being able to do it. Sure its game, but to be a simulation it needs to have credibility.

Do you uninstall the game and burn the DVD when you die?

wow, touchè!:eek:

This statement is pretty bullshit tbh, Its a Game anything is possible you do what you want! i have a script that lets you shoot rabbits and cows out of a AT launcher is it realistic? no but its fun and thats what this game is about it doesn't have to be so real it has be run by the handbooks.

if your training for a war then sure i understand where it would need to be so strict but if your just buying a game to play then WTF DOES IT MATTER if its realistic? you want to be all realistic then dont use peoples missions, make your own where you get shot you bleed for days adn might get gangreen and all that ( sounds fun actually bu it would have to kick in after a hour :] ) have fun man!

LOL.

That said,

ArmA 2 no matter how full of simulation it could be. It's still a game, which is meant to entertain. Which means: Have fun, a good time, etc.

The desired amount of realism is relative to the player.

1. Obviously you could also script it in such a way that not every vehicle can lift every type of vehicle.

2. Being able to lift everything is just as realistic as being able to lift nothing at all.

3. Who cares.

@Devildog: Although I share your skepticism about realism, a scripter has to begin somewhere, right? After having played with "lift the tank" capability for a while, he may realize that realism/credibility and/or balancing issues are at stake. And go for an array of liftable vehicles that mission modders easily can change to suit their own needs.

...an M1A2 with a littlebird or a blackhawk , so I guess you have to ask yourself, how realistic is that and how much of a simulation is that??? ...

By default, the game comes with a Navy Seahawk, not an Army Blackhawk. This is not a simulator, but it probably is the closest thing to one.

Both sides have a point. It is completely unrealistic to carry tanks'n'stuff with a MH-60. Completely impossible in real life.

Then again, why do we play ArmA 2? Because we like to play it and it is fun. Some likes it because they want to simulate authentic combat enviroments, and some because it is otherwise entertaining. And if someone likes to play it when he can lift tanks with a helicopter by all means. I mean, if someone does that what will you lose?

What's my opinion then, eh? Ok, unrealistic, but one of those things that must be unrealistic so it doesn't affect gameplay. Any alternative mean to bring MHQ 8 km away? Instant teleportation? Spock and his beam is even more unrealistic than helicopter carrying tanks.

Peace and love <3