dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

Is there a way to get rid of the smoke after the emitter is gone? For example I blow up a tank in multiplayer then after x minutes the wreck disappears. The fire or smoke is still billowing up from where the wreck used to be even though there is no longer a wreck present.

It was something I planned, but personal preference made me keep it as it was :) the idea of F&S is that it provides a battlefield history and atmosphere, but I guess I could add in a config option to fade the smoke away if the vehicle disappears.

I agree with Katipo66 here, the concurrent fires option is good and a total fire limit would make my computer even happier.:D

@J-Guid: I'm not sure if this is what you mean by smokewall but it greatly improves smoke grenade effects (and also improves muzzle flash, explosions to name a few).

wxCqWbBHG1Q

Thanks for the great addon DMarkwick can't play Arma2 without it.:D

Clarkey1 - i mean, smoke make 'smokewall' and block AI view (AI cant see what behind the smoke)!!!

DMarkwick - cant you realise this?!

I know how realise this in scripts, BUT be cool see this in some great mod as JTD or BlastCore! Who wish I can write this ;)

For some reason 1.60 patch broke JTD fire and smoke for me. I had to enable all my mods again, but I had list so I enabled them as I had in old version. Now I just get standard short effects without spreading fire and other features of JTD F&S.

I even redownloaded addon and reinstalled it, but no luck there. Other addons still work though.

Is it just me or others have this problem as well?

Clarkey1 - i mean, smoke make 'smokewall' and block AI view (AI cant see what behind the smoke)!!!

DMarkwick - cant you realise this?!

I know how realise this in scripts, BUT be cool see this in some great mod as JTD or BlastCore! Who wish I can write this ;)

Smoke DOES block AI view.

Small update on my problem: it seems that reverting back to 0.2 fixed the problem.

For some reason 1.60 patch broke JTD fire and smoke for me. I had to enable all my mods again, but I had list so I enabled them as I had in old version. Now I just get standard short effects without spreading fire and other features of JTD F&S.

I even redownloaded addon and reinstalled it, but no luck there. Other addons still work though.

Is it just me or others have this problem as well?

Same. Bump.

I have patched to 1.60 and my F&S works fine for me. Perhaps try and update the CBA? That's the only other thing I can think of.

It was something I planned, but personal preference made me keep it as it was :) the idea of F&S is that it provides a battlefield history and atmosphere, but I guess I could add in a config option to fade the smoke away if the vehicle disappears.

That would be phenomenal, thank you. Is there any way to implement this ourselves? I'm a pretty patient guy, but it's been a long while since the last release.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Sorry to nag, but I noticed one thing: Even though I enabled JTD fire and made sure it is loaded last, vanilla Arma 2 fire effects are used. Fire that spreads to objects is JTD fire, but smoke and fire on blown up vehicles is vanilla one with that weird "swirly" fire FX. Did I do something wrong?

I have latest CBA and 1.60 CO.

EDIT: Nevermind, WarFX blastcore caused this problem.

Edited by Taro8

Taro, i got Blastcore and JTD runnin together withotu a problem :)

even slx is in.

-mod=@CBA;@i44;@coslx;@warfx;@jtd

Could you pretty please add the config option or even better yet - make vehicle wrecks stay until the smoke disappears? That would be really cool. I've always thought the destroyed vehicles disappearing was pretty lame.

Could you pretty please add the config option or even better yet - make vehicle wrecks stay until the smoke disappears? That would be really cool. I've always thought the destroyed vehicles disappearing was pretty lame.

Whether the vehicle disappears or not is outside the control of F&S, that's most usually a mission script to control how much junk is lying around after it has been destroyed. But, I'm intending to do a little adjustment to F&S and I guess I can easily add in a config option to initiate the smoke fade down upon the non-detection of the vehicle :)

I've got a crashing issue running your mod with the latest beta, CBA, CBA_A2, CBA_OA, JSRS, and Fallujah. I stopped using your mod and voila - no more crashing. Really too bad because I absolutely love your wonderful addon.

That sounds awesome. If you need any help testing MP compatibility or anything at all feel free to let me know. I've enjoyed your mods since ArmA1 and look forward with great anticipation to your next release. I know there has been some setbacks for you and I'd like to help in any way you need. I'm an experienced tester and have some coding knowledge.

Anyway great job and keep it up!

Are you thinking about making a similar addon for ArmA3 when it comes out?

Edited by JuggernautOfWar
Crashing!

Hello, DMarkwick!! I love love love your fire... Its HOTT....!!!

I launch it all the time .. the only time i do not use F+S is when a server doesnt allow it...

I still get this error ... about 1-5 minutes after the fires start..

Error in expression <ct;

while {true} do

{

_nearestFire = nearestObjects [_thisObject,["firemarker>

Error position: <nearestObjects [_thisObject,["firemarker>

Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected

File JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\FireDamage.sqf, line 30

Is there a fix for this??

I have the version on Sixupdater. is that the most current version? I read where you said it may be due to a random BIS object :ie a fly or soemthing... but is there a fix?

The second thing i noticed is that sometimes instead of a fire.. there is just a bright light emanating from the vehicle that would normally be ablaze.

Everything else works great .. I get hurt if i stand to close buildings trees and everything catch fire.. it doesnt spread superfast.. Just those two things...

BTW i launch this mod with CBA,ACE2,BlastCore, and SEVERAL others .. it still works great ... just those two errors..

I also use your Fly mod.. and your FAT rain mod.. and your Traffic mod...

coincidentally, i have modified for my personal use the jtd_ambient traffic module (Ai only drove a max of 500m.. so i bumped it up the spawning radius and the waypoint radius to 3000m and gave them cycling waypoints...) so when your module starts spawning .. the AI do not just drive to their destination, stop and get "dismissed", they "cycle" to the original way point.. and repeat ... so that you really have Ambient traffic... not just an ai driver that goes 500m and stops, parks and just sits there..... I also added (to the random AK ) a random Markov and random Gernade supplies to civies... so my civi's might spawn with a AK , Markov, and gernades ... or just one .. or two items... it all uses the CivAK variable... just added a possibility for the pistol and gernades... it works great..

All though i still get a few cars that just drive a few 1000m to their destination and stop completely .. it is a much smaller ratio then before ... most cars hit their destination, pause, and then drive on a few seconds later... then about 10-15 minutes later depending on where their last way point was thell come back. park .. pause and then carry on.. its F'n great

Thanks for all these mods... if you want me to send you my hacked version of your module I would love to get your opinion!!!! help (on getting all cars to keep going , and not to park and stop completely )

THANKS THANKS THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Yeah quite a few of us are getting crashing issues when using this mod. Too bad I love this mod so much.

Hmm not seeing it myself, any particular circumstance?

I'm not sure what specifically causes it. Is there a way to see what specifically caused the game to crash? You can see here two of us in that thread that experience crashing using @JTD.

Strange that it should just suddenly stop behaving, obviously nothing has changed in it for a long while. Perhaps I should read a few recent patch release notes & see if anything jumps out. Do you run betas?

I do run the betas yes. I have been having this issue for quite some time (before 1.62) but just recently discovered it's @JTD causing it. I took a long leave of absence from the ArmAverse and was very sad to see @JTD causing crashes. It's my favorite mod for ArmA. Maybe you should *cough* update it *cough* *cough* to fix the problem.

I do run the betas yes. I have been having this issue for quite some time (before 1.62) but just recently discovered it's @JTD causing it. I took a long leave of absence from the ArmAverse and was very sad to see @JTD causing crashes. It's my favorite mod for ArmA. Maybe you should *cough* update it *cough* *cough* to fix the problem.

I am very surprised after reading this, I have used JTD for, well ages, and have never had a problem with it. Does it crash when jtd is due to start i.e. fire after explosion etc, or does it crash before jtd has had time to do anything ?

It crashes after roughly ~30-60 minutes of play. I can't tell if anything specifically causes this issue. My two friends and I plus the gentleman in the other thread are all having the same issue. I'm at a loss here, just can't figure it out. What could be different between your game and mine I wonder.

What other mods are you running with it?

I would imagine you have stripped down to just JTD, as you are really sure its that.

I make missions for the group I play in, would be interesting to find out for sure, JTD is a mod we always use.

I run 1.62 to the latest beta. Ace etc, JTD is the main enhancement of that type we use.

Do you launch from a launcher i.e. SU etc or just the normal way straight from the game. My JTD pbo’s are pulled out into a folder I called ‘game_enhancements’ it runs from there with other mods pbo’s along that line (enhancements).

Maybe give me your start up and I will replicate it and see if it crashes for me.:)

Edit: forgot to ask, which version of jtd are you running, mine is '3', not sure if thats the current version..

Edited by ChrisB
footnote

I tried running @JTD (with the userconfigs of course) by itself with no other addons at all. I launch the game though the Steam library. I'm using 0.3 hosted on the first page of this thread.

Well, of course if it's actually causing crashes then I should fix it.. and with the possible removal of setVehicleInit command... maybe the entire thing needs a general overhaul. Modesty to one side I'm of the opinion that this is a great battlefield ambiance addon so it deserves to survive into ArmA2's latter years :)