FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

New video out that (shockingly) reveals a lot of stuff towards mil-sim look better than in A2:

http://www.vojak.si/modules/news/?news_id=691

Yet the AI can't seem to hit you standing 10 feet away.

At 3:07 it looks like bullets are coming out of the AI's gun at angles

instead of the direction the gun is facing.

Same thing for other videos in open fields, the bullets go in every

direction except in the direction the gun is facing.

It's like you have a wedge shaped forcefield in front of you.

jblackrupert: I dunno whats worse. AI in A2 is sniping you lying down in a high grass through 2 forests with one bullet ;) did you miss the A2 AI vs Cow youtube video ? :)

I have to say, my view on DR has changed.

Before, my view was I see nothing in here that justifies its purchase. Now, however, i think that I will check it out

Now why make a reversal? its not because of reviews or new promo videos or that hoopla.

the other day I was at a buddies house and we were playing GRAW2 on his PS3 (he is not arma material i must add. dosnt like realistic games). It was damn entertaining, and i thought that DR could be just like this, just better. Plus it might eventually open my fiends eyes to arma 2 some day. He seemed to be interested too

So yeah I feel that DR would be a fine addition to a console on split screen coop.

would i buy the game for my self or PC? heh, no

So yeah I feel that DR would be a fine addition to a console on split screen coop.

would i buy the game for my self or PC? heh, no

Youre talking as if DR will have a split screen coop?

New video out that (shockingly) reveals a lot of stuff towards mil-sim look better than in A2:

http://www.vojak.si/modules/news/?news_id=691

Was also posted yesterday... I dont really see what youre referring to however... All I see is just superficial things like animations and admittedly quite gruesome gore. Or maybe im just blinded (still) by how unbelievably corny and face-palm worthy the last 20 seconds of the video is. And the 3 round burst sniping. Or the way the soldiers move like theyve filled their pants. Or the use of the charging handle when reloading the M4/16s.

I'll still probably check it out. The same way I checked out the COD family, BF family, etc, and got bored within weeks.... Whereas the REAL OFP family has been fairly constant for 8 years.

"For more personal situations I prefer to go for a .45 automatic of course... Just in case."[/Quote]

Ugh....

Ugh....

The only thing more horrifying than that section of the video was the fact that people on the CM forums thought it was cool...

jblackrupert: I dunno whats worse. AI in A2 is sniping you lying down in a high grass through 2 forests with one bullet ;) did you miss the A2 AI vs Cow youtube video ? :)

They fixed that in the 1.04 patch.

I've only seen the parachuting cows video.

Or the use of the charging handle when reloading the M4/16s.

Can you explain this to me? Wouldn't you have to pull the charging handle to load a new round from a new magazine into a empty chamber?

If there is a round already in the chamber, this would of course not be necessary. But in the video theres no way of seeing if its a dry or tactical reload. (its in "hardcore mode")

Edited by sparks50

Only if the bolt is in the forward position. The bolt catch holds it open after the last round of a magazine is fired so all thats required is to insert a new mag and release the catch.

Edit: A lot of times its shown in games as the player almost slapping the side of the rifle.

Edit2: Nice video showing it, this guy does it so fast you basically see one frame right after inserting the mag where hes hitting the catch.

Edited by TimRiceSE

First, DM: Never, EVER let me get on your bad side! lol. Well done shining light onto that review.

Youre talking as if DR will have a split screen coop?

So... DR does not have split screen...? Ok I admit i have not followed this thread or DR that closely, but isn't spit screen kinda the norm for console FPS?

Or you just being argumentative?:confused:

So it would only be needed in rare instances of double feeding, jams or other problems? I also wonder if all m16 types have this bolt catch?

The fire rate for the m16 types sounds way to slow compared what Ive heard other places, its strange how they can get such a key part wrong?

First, DM: Never, EVER let me get on your bad side!

:D

Edited by sparks50

So... DR does not have split screen...? Ok I admit i have not followed this thread or DR that closely, but isn't spit screen kinda the norm for console FPS?

Or you just being argumentative?:confused:

No there isn't split screen, they cut out even that feature.

Edited by Leopardi

Ugh....

Yeah, in case he happens across the internal components of a SOCOM pistol out there laying on the gound somewhere, so he can finish his little gunsmithing project.

No there isn't split screen, they cut out even that feature.

aw man if that's true then that really hampers my plans... :eek:

Whats next, them taking multiplayer out in the first patch?:rolleyes:

Only if the bolt is in the forward position. The bolt catch holds it open after the last round of a magazine is fired so all thats required is to insert a new mag and release the catch.

There is a school of thought re: tactical training that believes that all reloads should involve the charging handle being pulled and released. This is typically due to the "better safe than sorry" mindset, and also relates to the fact that pulling the charging handle results in a higher bolt velocity than simply pressing the bolt catch, which (particularly with a dirty weapon) makes it more likely to fully chamber the round.

The fact that the shooter in DR keeps his firing hand on the rifle and charges with his support hand is actually fairly good. I wouldn't knock them for that. The animation is a bit off, but I can understand why they'd do that - namely, to be able to show the player what's happening with his rifle, versus just have him hear a mechanical noise and suddenly be reloaded.

So it would only be needed in rare instances of double feeding, jams or other problems? I also wonder if all m16 types have this bolt catch?

The fire rate for the m16 types sounds way to slow compared what Ive heard other places, its strange how they can get such a key part wrong?

:D

How could i put this, using charging handle after drying a mag is still being done on battlefield, just remember dont do that if you are in danger of being shot.

the point is on rare chance, the bolt might not be in correct position and might lead to jam if you only release the bolt catch, thats why they add a 2 cents little stick at the right side of the receiver since M16A2 aft of the bolt to let you push the bolt back in position, so if you are inside cover not in a hurry to reload pulling the handle does preferable, but in the center of a firefight? i'd rather change into my pistol

Edited by 4 IN 1

This game is going to be an excellent substitute for BF2 .

Which i still play every now and then.

That latest video has so many levels of wrong in it, it's amazing how anybody could like it.

You know the worst part? Last night this idiot comes up to me going all like "Damn man, you must be psyched for the 6th of october!"

Within the second i had spewed out all my anger at him for being such an idiot (i actually didnt like this guy to start with, now implying that i would love DR was too much :P).

It was disgusting really what this guy believes to be realistic, some of these people have their heads up their ass way too much.

It was insulting really, for him to think i would love DR.

Also, showing guns to be cool on the intarwebz? *facepalm*

This is what they are called:

m16t.jpg

This is their function briefly:

The Charging handle, charges the rifle of cause, and is used for clearing the chamber of a cartridge if need be.

Bolt catch/Bolt release, is used for reloading, it catches the bolt when the magazine is empty and releasing it with a new magazine seated will load the rifle.

Forward assist, can be used to insure the rifle is loaded by forcing the bolt carrier forward.

STGN

Wow. What a truely objective article. This is just the crowd OFP: DR is aiming for. More of a game than ArmAII is? Is that a bad thing or a good thing for ArmA2? Is he saying that ArmA2 is more of a sim, less of a game?

Not sim, but engine. Have met up with this point of view earlier. What it means that OF:DR has better missions and campaign and it's system requirement aren't that harsh and game/campaign ain't as riddled with bugs. While ArmA2 has better engine... I'm not sure what all this relates to but few things: ArmA2's terrain was said to be superb compared to OF:DR, ArmA2 is prettier, and atleast AI's pathfinding is way much better and i think same holds true with AI in general.

Review i've red was more critical.

This game is going to be an excellent substitute for BF2 .

Which i still play every now and then.

No, Battlefield Bad Company 2 will be much better option.

What do you guys think about the ballistics? See 2:47 where the sniper hits the head, you can't see the projectile travel and the impact seems instant.

Edited by Serclaes

And it looks like the ragdolls suck, too. People stack their torso on top of their legs like they do in Thief and Oblivion, and I saw to guys sliding down a short dirt slope like it was made of ice after getting shot standing up.

The vehicle physics will no doubt be a godsend, but ragdolls are cosmetics that usually end up smudged all over your face. No one does them right.

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 actually does them right, they never land in weird positions.

The only exception is that sometimes when they are being thrown around with brute force (only when hit by artillery, except for direct hits because then the soldier just evaporates) they get stuck in a wall which has more to do with the engine then the ragdolls.

What do you guys think about the ballistics? See 2:47 where the sniper hits the head, you can't see the projectile travel and the impact seems instant.

They seem to be almost non-existent, actually. For rifles other than the actual sniper rifles (M14 doesn't seem to be included). Or maybe they're far too under exaggerated.

Not sim, but engine. Have met up with this point of view earlier. What it means that OF:DR has better missions and campaign and it's system requirement aren't that harsh and game/campaign ain't as riddled with bugs.

According to some reviews out so far, DR has an apparently terrible campaign that isn't very involving and lasts 4 hours or something. I'd need to find the review again to prove it, but I definitely saw it. It'd be somewhere in this thread... Lol.