FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Madd - ask Zipper to prove any of these bad reviews of the missions - I think you'll find that every post he makes in this thread is incorrect. Heres some OFP : DR reviews. I read them a while ago, so I cant remember whats in them exactly, but I doubt youll find anyone complaining about the missions :

I've seen enough games with less than 6 hour half arsed singleplayer get great reviews to not base my decisions on that. I especially don't trust pre-release reviews because when I play the game myself I often start to see that the reviewer didn't play the game enough and missed many important issues.

Sure they may not complain much about the campaigns. But what have they said about their length and storyline?

Reading those reviews did not do much to convince me that the game is worth getting for SP.

Well the OXM reviews comments on the campaign are a bit concerning:

What would help would be if Operation Flashpoint didn't compound the problem with confusing directions, a merciless checkpoint system and occasionally broken objectives. If you're particularly blunder-prone you can accidentally render a mission impossible, trigger a checkpoint that prevents you from backtracking to fix the problem and, worst of all, spend ages trying to work out what's going on because the game doesn't tell you what you did wrong.

Hopefully they fix that in a patch.

@ethne: You missed point 2, it is also in ArmA 2. LOL at almost all of those features actually being in ArmA 2. And 7 has been confirmed to be in Operation Arrowhead.

You can't just compare the games by throwing out a laundry list of features. There will never be a clear winner there and it doesn't make for a proper comparison anyway.

Flasharmapoint 2 = fail troll.

Edited by Maddmatt

One thing is for sure, that BI are well ahead of time when they creat OFP, and since then we have been living in the age of broadband of tactical fps gaming, why would us need to go back in time to the same box shooter? 2x2 km for pvp? 275m between squad member in coop? 64 units + object at once? Only peer to peer MP? Why would i give up all what rv engine have gave me and turn to something that have none of it?

indeed, there are limits, im not denying it, but you have to make choices, we canot have everything we wish for, atleast not yet. OFPDR downside is the mp. PC isnt so bad, and im sure player numbers, and map areas wil be increased over time. But atleast a 'milsim' made it to consoles, unlike arma2.

The editor in ofpdr is the same one used by the devs, and supports lua scripting for making our missions, and mp missions. Some of the limitations in DR are part of the optimization, to make this game literally LAG free! you will be able to play DR on pretty low spec machines, and even with much action, you will continue to have a rock solid frame rate.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

And you bring up the number of players in A2? 4 person Co-oP in MP and a 63 unit limit in DR's "editor".

People in glass houses etc.

** = A2 as well

Eth

A lot of the stuff you highlighted will be implemented via the modders. Rain will be included soon, altho it isnt a big deal lol

And your wrong about the ai, completely lol, and it isnt somthing you can judge without playing the game first. Arma 2 ai is shockingly bad, they run around like mindless zombies most of the time. Driving ai's are completly tardish, and most ai run off when being fired on. I urge you to do some research on DR's ai.

Edited by Flarmapoint 2

indeed, there are limits, im not denying it, but you have to make choices, we canot have everything we wish for, atleast not yet. OFPDR downside is the mp. PC isnt so bad, and im sure player numbers, and map areas wil be increased over time. But atleast a 'milsim' made it to consoles, unlike arma2.

The editor in ofpdr is the same one used by the devs, and supports lua scripting for making our missions, and mp missions. Some of the limitations in DR are part of the optimization, to make this game literally LAG free! you will be able to play DR on pretty low spec machines, and even with much action, you will continue to have a rock solid frame rate.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

A lot of the stuff you highlighted will be implemented via the modders. Rain will be included soon, altho it isnt a big deal lol

It is when you are trying to use weather as a pro for DR while asserting that A2 DOESN'T have good weather.

Go back to the CM forums dude, you aren't selling anyone here on DR.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

I've seen enough games with less than 6 hour half arsed singleplayer get great reviews to not base my decisions on that. I especially don't trust pre-release reviews because when I play the game myself I often start to see that the reviewer didn't play the game enough and missed many important issues.

Sure they may not complain much about the campaigns. But what have they said about their length and storyline?

Reading those reviews did not do much to convince me that the game is worth getting for SP.

Well the OXM reviews comments on the campaign are a bit concerning:

Hopefully they fix that in a patch.

@ethne: You missed point 2, it is also in ArmA 2. LOL at almost all of those features actually being in ArmA 2. And 7 has been confirmed to be in Operation Arrowhead.

You can't just compare the games by throwing out a laundry list of features. There will never be a clear winner there and it doesn't make for a proper comparison anyway.

Flasharmapoint 2 = fail troll.

OOPS, missed that - corrected :)

Edited by BangTail

yeah, its not a big deal, lol. who cares about superficial graphical effects, lol.

And your wrong about the ai, completely lol, and it isnt somthing you can judge without playing the game first. Arma 2 ai is shockingly bad, they run around like mindless zombies most of the time. Driving ai's are completly tardish, and most ai run off when being fired on. I urge you to do some research on DR's ai.

AI works fine for me.

And everything you can possibly imagine (and then some) will be crafted by the mod community in A2. So yeah, it isn't a big deal :D

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

yeah, its not a big deal, lol. who cares about superficial graphical effects, lol.

Yah, exactly. His argument is ostensibly that the graphics are better LAWL.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

A game that works would be a big step forward for BI.

Ive just made a game with 10 billion units, and 10 000 player pvp - oh but it doesn't actually work. Does that make my game the best mil-sim game you can buy?

I was bitterly disappointed with ArmA2 - everyone said it would be a bugfest, and BI did nothing to stop that prophesy from coming true. We are all clinging to the hope that a future patch will fix ArmA2 ( and not make it worse ) or that the ACE mod will fix it. Instead BI have moved on to their next game to try and get us to pay to beta test for them again.

As one of the reviewers has said :

While ArmA II had the potential to be superb, Dragon Rising actually is Source

Btw - talking about ACE :

39841844.jpg

How come their changes for gameplay aren't cried about as being unrealistic, along with many other things in ArmA that aren't realistic? And why is it upto a free mod to fix a game that I paid BI to give me?? Its easy to nitpick over tiny things, but its the overall experience that matters, and everyone who has played OFP : DR has said that the production values are very high.

Edited by space
spelling

i thought the guys that enter this thread, are interested in the game? lol

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

you guys make me laugh, im not a fan boy, im stating the facts. You're all probably gonna buy the game anyway, and prolly never look back. Arma 2 is bug infested mess, i wish i never bought. Arma 2 is a slightly poloshed version of arma 1, and ofp cwc

Most of the "facts" in the list are actually just your opinion. And a lot of that could also be said for Arma II.

Not to mention that you're hyping this game way too much, considering that you've never played it before. I don't mean to destroy all your hopes, but give it a rest until you get to actually play OFPDR and can form your own opinion, rather than just basing it off of everything the media has said.

All I'm saying is that you should be objective until you can try the game for yourself.

Well i came here hoping to speak with mature guys, who are INTERSTED in DR, which is what i assume to be the reason for this threads creation.

You guys, you will support bis forever, some of us are sick of the old fashioned, dated crap. Arma 2 having no major, ground breaking features implemented, just makes me look else where. But you guys continue.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

AI works fine for me.

And everything you can possibly imagine (and then some) will be crafted by the mod community in A2. So yeah, it isn't a big deal :D

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Yah, exactly. His argument is ostensibly that the graphics are better LAWL.

Eth

lol wtf? i mentioned the graphics right at the end of the list, and where did i say they were better than arma 2?

Well i came here hoping to speak with mature guys, who are INTERSTED in DR, which is what i assume to the reason for this threads creation.

You guys, you will support bis forever, some of us are sick of the old fashioned, dated crap. Arma 2 having no major, ground breaking features implemented, just makes me look else where. But you guys continue.

So leave and go wait for DR on the CM forums.

Mature discussion? All you've done is hype a game you've never played while simultaneously proclaiming you are not a fanboy.

Fantastic graphics, and awesome lighting effetcts
and much much more, hardly any of the above are featured in arma 2. Seriosuly, ive only scratched the service of whats in ofpdr.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

indeed, there are limits, im not denying it, but you have to make choices, we canot have everything we wish for, atleast not yet. OFPDR downside is the mp.

I'd rather have no silly MP limitations than "awesome streaming tech allowing huge draw distances".

PC isnt so bad, and im sure player numbers, and map areas wil be increased over time.

No, going from unlimited (well, whatever the server could handle) to 32 isn't bad at all. Even Battlefield 2 has twice as many. But then again it doesn't have "awesome streaming tech".

Oh, and where did you get that info about increasing the 4km^2 cage from?

But atleast a 'milsim' made it to consoles, unlike arma2.

If I am to trust the German PC Gamer (was it?) then no, not really.

The editor in ofpdr is the same one used by the devs, and supports lua scripting for making our missions, and mp missions.

I'm sick of reading this argument. Yes, so what.

The editor that ships with OFP/ArmA/ARMA 2 was also used by the developers to create the campaign. And it supports SQF and SQF. And you can make MP missions with it too. Oh, and these are actually downloaded when you join the server, something you can only wish for in DR.

Some of the limitations in DR are part of the optimization, to make this game literally LAG free!

That's like having your car's speed limited at 50 KPH. You know, this way you can't accidentally speed in the towns!

you will be able to play DR on pretty low spec machines, and even with much action, you will continue to have a rock solid frame rate.

I can play OFP all maxed up with solid framerate too. But then again the graphics are a bit dated.

Well i came here hoping to speak with mature guys, who are INTERSTED in DR, which is what i assume to the reason for this threads creation.

There are a lot of people here who are interested in OFPDR. The main difference between you and them, though, is that you're talking like you've actually played it before (stating opinions or speculative info as facts).

So leave and go wait for DR on the CM forums.

Mature discussion? All you've done is hype a game you've never played while simultaneously proclaiming you are not a fanboy.

Eth

lol, i was justifying the reason why im intersted in ofpdr, and i wasnt 'hyping' lol. :rolleyes: Why did you mention hype?

lol, i was justifying the reason why im intersted in ofpdr, and i wasnt 'hyping' lol. :rolleyes: Why did you mention hype?

Because every other point in the list you wrote down earlier contains the word "awesome"?

I'd rather have no silly MP limitations than "awesome streaming tech allowing huge draw distances".

No, going from unlimited (well, whatever the server could handle) to 32 isn't bad at all. Even Battlefield 2 has twice as many. But then again it doesn't have "awesome streaming tech".

Oh, and where did you get that info about increasing the 4km^2 cage from?

If I am to trust the German PC Gamer (was it?) then no, not really.

I'm sick of reading this argument. Yes, so what.

The editor that ships with OFP/ArmA/ARMA 2 was also used by the developers to create the campaign. And it supports SQF and SQF. And you can make MP missions with it too. Oh, and these are actually downloaded when you join the server, something you can only wish for in DR.

That's like having your car's speed limited at 50 KPH. You know, this way you can't accidentally speed in the towns!

I can play OFP all maxed up with solid framerate too. But then again the graphics are a bit dated.

deadfast you just dismissing, and ignoring, and be basically biased. You just carry on with arma 2 lol , im not here to win people over lol

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Because every other point in the list you wrote down earlier contains the word "awesome"?

yes, because imo, they are awesome, k?

deadfast you just dismissing, and ignoring, and be basically biased. You just carry on with arma 2 lol , im not here to win people over lol

You could have fooled us.

Eth

There are a lot of people here who are interested in OFPDR. The main difference between you and them, though, is that you're talking like you've actually played it before (stating opinions or speculative info as facts).

damn... you think i would just write a load of bull shiz dude? well, you're wrong. Everything i wrote was fact.

damn... you think i would just write a load of bull shiz dude? well, you're wrong. Everything i wrote was fact.

No, everything you wrote was speculation and conjecture. You've never played DR.

Secondly, most of the things you claim are not implemented in A2 (or are better in DR) are implemented and they are implemented, as well as, or better, than they are in DR (with a few exceptions).

Eth

Edited by BangTail

You could have fooled us.

Eth

You just keep defending arma 2, you simply keep brining up the same old negs about the game that i have already covered like a malfuctioning robot.

There is nothing revolutionary about OFP DR. Its actually for the most part nothing new, even steps backwards in a lot of areas. Other than the shiny graphics. Which arent really that good. Cos its a console game.

there, i said it.

I'm just as qualified as you to make this judgement.

Get back in your cage.

Edited by TimRiceSE

No, everything you wrote was speculation and conjecture. You've never played DR.

Eth

lol wow who are you tell me what ive done? but no i havent played the game, but ive read reviews by people who have, and ive read what the devs have posted on the forum.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

There is nothing revolutionary about OFP DR.

there, i said it.

Get back in your cage.

hmm you seem to think only mp side of ofpdr is important. No, not really, get back to you basic, plain, boring world of arma 2 ;)

Well we have less than a week to wait and find out. Its hard to discuss a game that no one here has played, but we do have several reviews where we can pick up details. Yes they may be biased/paid off by CM/lying, but when you read the same thing in several reviews, then it does start to form a pattern.

Also some of you knocking Flarmapoint for fanboism, really should get out of your glasshouses first.

get back to you basic, plain, boring world of arma 2 ;)

Surely you mean fictional land of Chernarus?

lol wow who are you tell me what ive done? but no i havent played the game, but ive read reviews by people who have, and ive read what the devs have posted on the forum.

Like I said, you have to be objective when reading that stuff, or else you'll look like a fool when most of it's not true.

And are you not ignoring, and dismissing and basically biased toward DR?

If you mean by mature discussion is everyone agrees with your oppinion, then you are wrong. At least ppl here dont call you names like 'douchebag'

Well we have less than a week to wait and find out. Its hard to discuss a game that no one here has played, but we do have several reviews where we can pick up details. Yes they may be biased/paid off by CM/lying, but when you read the same thing in several reviews, then it does start to form a pattern.

Also some of you knocking Flarmapoint for fanboism, really should get out of your glasshouses first.

Objection your honour!

Do you see me on the CM forums attacking DR?

I think not.

The defense rests.

Eth

Ah yes... youve what the devs have posted and promised.... ok, ok, youve got us now. I guess youre too new to remember exactly what was promised. and how cut down it is now.