Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

PCG says a story is, apart from the intro, non-existent

Is that the UK one or the US one? As I'll be picking up the latest US one soon. Can't get the UK one over here. :mad:

Man, I remember seeing those CGI trailers and thinking "You know, if the game actually turns out to be like this, it might actually be good." Then... The actual gameplay trailers started to come out...

Is that the same in-game-ring-menu as in Battlefield series ??

It's very similar aesthetically. It's not the same one, but uses the same sort of principal. At least, that's what I gather from the videos. It has been there for a while too.

They seem to be almost non-existent, actually. For rifles other than the actual sniper rifles (M14 doesn't seem to be included). Or maybe they're far too under exaggerated.

According to some reviews out so far, DR has an apparently terrible campaign that isn't very involving and lasts 4 hours or something. I'd need to find the review again to prove it, but I definitely saw it. It'd be somewhere in this thread... Lol.

Ballistics are there, but are they under modeled? Could be. Overall system works like ArmA does, no sight adjustments but firing by ballistics.

Reviewer i've read about is long time veteran (about 20 years in business) in these things and i know that when he says something it's pretty solid, atleast for me as he has pretty much same tastes as me when it comes to shooters. He didn't praise the campaign or mission design, but said it to be better than what Arma2 has. OF:DR's campaign wasn't even close to CWC according to him.

One thing needs to be kept in mind: One reviewer which you know and who's tastes fits for you is probably worth more than several reviewers which you don't even know.

What do you guys think about the ballistics? See 2:47 where the sniper hits the head, you can't see the projectile travel and the impact seems instant.
They seem to be almost non-existent, actually. For rifles other than the actual sniper rifles (M14 doesn't seem to be included). Or maybe they're far too under exaggerated.
They went the original OFP route there, by today standards they are pretty laser like, too.

It's important that they are in, the parameters can hopefully be tuned.

According to some reviews out so far, DR has an apparently terrible campaign that isn't very involving and lasts 4 hours or something. I'd need to find the review again to prove it, but I definitely saw it. It'd be somewhere in this thread... Lol.

There goes the only reason I had to buy it :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'd still like to hear more about the campaign.

Madd - ask Zipper to prove any of these bad reviews of the missions - I think you'll find that every post he makes in this thread is incorrect. Heres some OFP : DR reviews. I read them a while ago, so I cant remember whats in them exactly, but I doubt youll find anyone complaining about the missions :

oxm review 8/10

PC Zone review 9/10

PC Gamer 87%

Yes, that is a cool feature. Would love to have the reload animations as well.

BTW you may want to remove the IMG tags on that 5mb image before the mods see you :p

Yes, that is a cool feature. Would love to have the reload animations as well.

BTW you may want to remove the IMG tags on that 5mb image before the mods see you :p

thanks for letting me know, edited.

Who cares about animations?

Realism fans care about animations, or in this case, mocap. Hence the reason we call these types of games milsims, becasue they 'simulate' the real thing.

Dont try defend bis, they're way behind the times, nothings changed, arma2 is still basic, and featureless. Everyone getting excited for the next patch... bis is just lazy. ofpdr is jam packed with features, such as:

1. weapons can jam,

2. bullets can penertrate through stuff, but this correctly calculated, to determine thickness of material, and speed of bullet over distance.

3. fantastic physics engine which runs all sorts of awesome stuff!

4. correct reload and assemble animations for weapons

5. fantastic, and real weapon sounds for weapons

6. flir

7. guns have correct gadgets implemented such as torches, lasers etc...

8. different ammo types for each weapon

9. different rates of fire

10. Intelligent ai

11. fantastic command system

12. awesome range of weapons, and air strikes

13. Catstrophic damage system, for vehicles and humans alike

14. real time day/night cycle

15. realistic player effects from bullets, and tiredness

16 levels of communication, depending on what the sitiuation is, shouting, normal, and whisper voice

17. can enter most buildings, and can either open door by handle, or kick it in

18. island features volcano, coves, and bunkers

19. ai cannot see through smoke, vegitation, ai feature moral, and awarness systems, as well as a few others.

20. Fantastic graphics, and awesome lighting effetcts

21. Awsome particle effects system

22. sound fx feature bullet cracks, gun fire from differnent distances, speed & distance of sound is implemented

23. the awesome streaming tech, allows for huge draw distances!

and much much more, hardly any of the above are featured in arma 2. Seriosuly, ive only scratched the service of whats in ofpdr.

arma 2 is so basic is unbebelievable. This si the reason why the crappy engine can handle so many humans players etc...

Edited by Flarmapoint 2

I dont give a fuck to that, I could stand with good old ofp crapy crapy gfx, crapy crapy animation and stuff, just give me a game that I could play just like good old ofp with things on interface part like team control change, backpack, and bug fix and stuff, not a cut down on everything which is just what CM have done

Realism fans care about animations, or in this case, mocap. Hence the reason we call these types of games milsims, becasue they 'simulate' the real thing.

Dont try defend bis, they're way behind the times.

Oh I see, you want to play Operation Flashpoint: Animation Rising.

"Realism Fans" would quit playing video games and join their respective militaries like some of us have done.

Bit much to say BIS is "way behind the times" no ? That animation is cool, but I don't think it's a very large factor in 'realism'.

indeed. Graphics != neccesarily simulator realism.

Realism fans dont really give a crap about graphics. hence people still play falcon 4

Edited by TimRiceSE

Dont try defend bis, they're way behind the times.

I see, so that's +1 in the "pros" column for DR, I'll concede that :rolleyes:

The only problem is that it is a drop in the bucket of irrelevance as it does little to balance it with the gargantuan "cons" column assosciated with DR (which I won't bother reposting, as most, if not all of them have already been discussed in this thread).

Eth

Edited by BangTail

ofpdr is jam packed with features

Your post is jam packed with 100% BS with features such as fanboyism.

i thought the guys that enter this thread, are interested in the game? lol

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

you guys make me laugh, im not a fan boy, im stating the facts. You're all probably gonna buy the game anyway, and prolly never look back. Arma 2 is bug infested mess, i wish i never bought. Arma 2 is a slightly poloshed version of arma 1, and ofp cwc

One thing is for sure, that BI are well ahead of time when they creat OFP, and since then we have been living in the age of broadband of tactical fps gaming, why would us need to go back in time to the same box shooter? 2x2 km for pvp? 275m between squad member in coop? 64 units + object at once? Only peer to peer MP? Why would i give up all what rv engine have gave me and turn to something that have none of it?

Dont try defend bis, they're way behind the times, nothings changed, arma2 is still basic, and featureless. Everyone getting excited for the next patch... bis is just lazy. ofpdr is jam packed with features, such as:

1. weapons can jam,

2. bullets can penertrate through stuff, but this correctly calculated, to determine thickness of material, and speed of bullet over distance. **

3. fantastic physics engine which runs all sorts of awesome stuff! **

4. correct reload and assemble animations for weapons

5. fantastic, and real weapon sounds for weapons **

6. flir (Coming in the expansion and not the incredibly unrealistic version DR sports)

7. guns have correct gadgets implemented such as torches, lasers etc... (not really relevant to anything but ok).

8. different ammo types for each weapon **

9. different rates of fire **

10. Intelligent ai ** Far more extensive than DR's.

11. fantastic command system ** Way better than DR's

12. awesome range of weapons, and air strikes ** Way more extensive than DR's.

13. Catstrophic damage system, for vehicles and humans alike. **

14. real time day/night cycle ** DR's "weather" is pathetic, not even a rain effect :rolleyes:

15. realistic player effects from bullets, and tiredness ** A2 has an entire First aid module FFS

16 levels of communication, depending on what the sitiuation is, shouting, normal, and whisper voice

17. can enter most buildings, and can either open door by handle, or kick it in ** I'd like to be able to enter more buildings in A2 but the map is so much bigger that there has to be limits.

18. island features volcano, coves, and bunkers (Volcanoes? What is this, Far Cry?)

19. ai cannot see through smoke, vegitation, ai feature moral, and awarness systems, as well as a few others. ** Easily fixed with event handlers

20. Fantastic graphics, and awesome lighting effetcts ** Much more organic and realistic looking

21. Awsome particle effects system **

22. sound fx feature bullet cracks, gun fire from differnent distances, speed & distance of sound is implemented ** VOP, nuff said.

23. the awesome streaming tech, allows for huge draw distances! ** DR is pathetically small and limited

And you bring up the number of players in A2? 4 person Co-oP in MP and a 63 unit limit in DR's "editor".

People in glass houses etc.

** = A2 as well

Eth

Edited by BangTail