Sign in to follow this  
walker

Evidense of Console version of ArmA II?

Hi all

I just spoted this in the MP section of the forum.

Same thing for my 2 servers, I changed
reportingIP="arma2.master.gamespy.com";

to

reportingIP="arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";

and both are showing now.

I had restarted both servers before, several times, and still not showing. Once I made the change above, both servers showed immediately after restart.

Coincidence? I have no idea. They had worked with the previous setting for the last 2 months...

Anyways, maybe give that a shot.

The fact that the new code requires the addendum of PC for Gamespy is I would suggest perhaps indication of a console version and the need to seperate PC servers from different consoles.

The fact it has come out now seems to indicate the release may be in the near future.

If we consider that the new version of ArmA II is also due out and that recent ArmA betas have been about optimisation as they were when BIS's OFP Elite for X-Box came out, we have some interesting possibilites.

Perhaps a Late September Early October release of ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead on PC and consoles.

I would suggest Say first full week in October on a Tuesday for the US release and couple of days later for the rest of the world.

Kind Regards walker

Perhaps a Late September Early October release of ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead on PC and consoles.

Yeamn September/October 2010? :D

Just curious since BIS has said that there won't be any release of OA this year.

I rekcon AO will come out later in the year, if this year at all. Maybe November, December, In time fro chritmass. But not October, it's too close to OPF DR.

Pity though, cos AO looks pretty slick. Maybe if they include other nations in the game right off the bat, it might attract more attention...

Just judging by that. Sorry but we even have seen videos with the xbox360 images shown (A, B, X, Y) and even back then there wasn't a release planned.

So... unless BIS or their console publisher release the message that it is coming out on an console, there is nothing to be exited about just yet.

Hi all

If we consider that the new version of ArmA II is also due out and that recent ArmA betas have been about optimisation as they were when BIS's OFP Elite for X-Box came out, we have some interesting possibilites.

Kind Regards walker

Sorry, my mouth just watered. Hope to hear more stuff like this in the coming days.Thanks for the post.:yay:

OA is definitely coming out next year, its somewhere in the Q&A thread

Hi all

Why have gamespy improved the ArmA II server?

Why alter the way ArmA II servers are registered at all?

Why alter it to include a delineation of PC?

Why do it now if, as some speculate ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead, is not out until 2010?

Indications are that ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead is very close to completion.

Kind Regards walker

There are loads of indications that a console version was worked on, but that still doesnt mean that it will ever be released. Also, didnt developers already confirm that OA isnt out before 2010? (Actually im pretty sure, i just cant be arsed to look it up)

I just wonder how will console players tweak/test/reconfigure and update their systems to run this game? Much less add the needed -xboxlive.exe extensions?:D

Those console boys don't have much patience for these things ya know?

Hmmmm, according to my backups our dedicated servers have been reporting to "arma2pc.master.gamespy.com" since at least 1.03. I've got config backups at home that span back to release. I'll check those later today, but I pretty positive that they are identical.

In any event, I don't think this is anything new.....

I just wonder how will console players tweak/test/reconfigure and update their systems to run this game? Much less add the needed -xboxlive.exe extensions?:D

I am no fan of consoles for FPS games, but BIS did bring out OFP Elite for X-Box and it sold well I think.

Great, so it's consolers fault that my unit's servers have disappeared and we had to use IPs for days? Thanks! :)

I am wondering if they are maybe planning to do a "GRAW" where by the PC and the 360 versions are different, same game, same basic missions, graphics, textures, sounds, just a different method of execution.

The 360 version has been confirmed in that its running on what i assume is a dev box, if it comes out on the 360, i suspect it will not be the same game we have now on the PC, it might look similar, but it will have to be cut down a little with the control schemes for starters, i suspect it will become more arcade`ish.

The vast majority of the 360 gamer crowd could not handle the Arma2 we are all playing at the moment on our PC`s, its simply to "hardcore" for the average console gamer, i am not bashing the consoles, i love my 360 and the whole Live thing, but the console and pc crowds are generally a different kettle of fish.

ps.I have just finished Gears Of War (PC) tonight :D

I also have the 360 versions of both Gears 1 and 2, still working on Gears 2, pretty much done with Gears 1 on the 360 :D

Still not worked out if i will be buying OFP2 on the 360 or the PC yet!

The vast majority of the 360 gamer crowd could not handle the Arma2 we are all playing at the moment on our PC`s, its simply to "hardcore" for the average console gamer, i am not bashing the consoles, i love my 360 and the whole Live thing, but the console and pc crowds are generally a different kettle of fish.

This comment should go with "In My Opinion",at the end of the day, that's all it is. Console players simply have not had the option to play these games yet.

The 360 and PS3 don't use Gamespy as far as I know.

I believe that is correct ;)

This comment should go with "In My Opinion",at the end of the day, that's all it is. Console players simply have not had the option to play these games yet.

Pretty much everything said here is merely the poster's opinion, doesn't mean we have to preface everything as such. And, small point, console players have always had the option, they just chose to buy a console instead.

Why have gamespy improved the ArmA II server?

"Improved"? Not trolling, just wondering. My counter would be: if there was something to improve, why wouldn't they improve it as soon as possible?

Why alter the way ArmA II servers are registered at all?

Why alter it to include a delineation of PC?

Presumably they're hopeful of having a console release, and possibly OA is a good candidate for such. Certainly it sounds like a more focused game experience using lessons learnt from Arma 2's campaign. So, if it's likely they'll ever be releasing a console version it probably makes sense to have the delineation.

Why do it now if, as some speculate ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead, is not out until 2010?

What would you gain by leaving it until closer to release date? What would you lose? I can't really see any downside to doing it even 5 years in advance; any problems it causes would also be caused if it was done later, so you wouldn't be avoiding anything. And once it's done, then it's done and it's one less thing you need to worry about when you do get closer to release date. Whenever that is. I don't think the timing of the change is a useful indicator for a potential release date of a console version, but does add a bit of fuel to speculation that Arma will appear on a console in one form or another. One day.

OA is definitely coming out next year, its somewhere in the Q&A thread

That implies the universe is infinite...

Arma 2 in its current form would not sell on the 360, i would bet a large amount of money on it, would you bet otherwise?

Arma 2 in its current form would not sell on the 360, i would bet a large amount of money on it, would you bet otherwise?

I'd be willing to bet that after the console community has had the opportunity to play mil-sim games on a normal basis that future sales would rival that of the pc along with fan base ect. Fact is there are console teams built around mil-sim gaming. These teams grow quickly and have fan basis on games such as graw2, rainbow ect. Go to the xbox forums and type in team work,tactics and look at the search results.http://forums.xbox.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=teamwork&forum=&u= The console community will explode should arma 2 come out. While the sales the first year would be lower than following or consectutive years it would still hit the ground running.

The current version has bugs,glitches ect. all of wich the community can deal with. Would there be those who didnt care for the game? Sure, but its not due to being a console gamer, its to their taste.:confused:

Edited by T3 Forgiven

The fact that the new code requires the addendum of PC for Gamespy is I would suggest perhaps indication of a console version and the need to seperate PC servers from different consoles.

As far as I know, both reporting IPs worked before...

For example, the excellent guide written by [KH]Jman has always stated using

reportingIP="arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";

I have used both reportingIPs in the 2 months I have been hosting. I actually started with the 'pc' IP, but switched early on for some reason...

I don't meant to take anything away from this thread and it's good speculation, but I just wanted to clear that up.

Carry on gentlemen. ;)

Geuss what? We console boys don't need to do all those things!!!!:yay:

True ;)

But we/you do have to wait even longer for patches to be certified, and even then, IIRC they have a size limit on them (might be 5mb?)

I do recall the devs from epic mentioning the patch size limits once when talking about Gears2 title updates.

Geuss what? We console boys don't need to do all those things!!!!:yay:

Of course not. After the Dev's finish ripping out all the eye candy so the consoles will handle it, why would you?

FTR I own both a 360 and ps3 but I seldom game on them.