Sign in to follow this  
Nosedive

No servers allow mods?

Where does everyone with mods play online? I've sat here for half an hour trying every server on the list and not a single one will allow me on with my helicopter sound mod. It would be great if there was a way to filter out servers that don't like mods

I think its completely bloodyminded if you ask me! Yes I know there will be those that cheat, but they will be in a minority.

So server admins PLEASE turn off requiredmods=1 or whatever it is !

Ι have a question.

Let's say you enter a game with 5 gigs worth of mods/addons, right? Shouldn't all the other players have the same mod as you in order to... you know...see the models you see and the effects you experience?

I know you are talking about a sound mod that doesn't affect gameplay but.. still where do you draw the line?

Well, what does it matter if one has mods for 500 additional units and weapons and whatever? As long as the mission doesn't use them they are wasted HDD space as far as that session is concerned,and no one else is affected by it either.

It's when mods change the core classes and stuff in the game that there are issues.

@kremator and others.

NO, the server admins (like myself) will NOT turn signature check off, just so that you can join with your favorite mod.

On the other hand, the server webpage (clan or not) should specify exactly what addons are allowed

And towards addon makers: learn to sign your files, it's easier to maintain by server admins, as well as you will see an increase of ppl using your addon/mod

Seems like a pretty closed minded stance on the subject, if you admit that us joining with our favourite mod is such a small thing, why be so petty about it?

Also, the heli sound mod i have has a key, yet it's still rejected.

Seems like a pretty closed minded stance on the subject, if you admit that us joining with our favourite mod is such a small thing, why be so petty about it?

Also, the heli sound mod i have has a key, yet it's still rejected.

on what server? On my clan's?

The best approach would be to contact directly the admin of the server you want to play and ask nicely for him to allow the mod you want to play with on.

Not close minded. Just try and understand why server admins are needing to keep the signature check on. There is no protection but those signature files as it is now.

Even so, if i am running a PvP map, why would someone with mods that are reducing the grass height or simlar get an advantage?

NO, the server admins (like myself) will NOT turn signature check off, just so that you can join with your favorite mod.

agreed

Besides the obvious ability to cheat in a server with sigchecks off, the other problem comes from people joining with mods that can crash the server. Sound mods arent a problem, and smart server admins add the server keys for those mods so that people can join with whichever sound mod they choose to use. However when somebody joins the server with a mod that changes a weapon, like adding an M203 to a G36, or how many rounds are in an M203 magazine, those little things will crash the server. Server admins will not cater to cheaters and those who will cause the server to crash, this is not a matter of being close minded, its the only realistic way to operate a server IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

Your topic should not be a campaign against sigchecks, but rather a campaign to get server admins to keep up to date with adding server keys for client side addons that cant hurt the server, such as sound mods.

I totally understand the server admins. The gain from not having the hassle of hackers, especially when no admin is around to kick/ban them and restard the server/missions, is definitely outweighted by the loss of not being able to use (certain) mods and addons.

It's also about participating in the community around that server, if you do you'll know what's allowed and can suggest the approval of other mods. If you only want to play as a random then you've no grounds for complaining about having to play vanilla.

Sorry franklin, where is your information in ARMA2 that some mods crash the server ?

I'll give you a for instance..... kju's distance tweak is just wonderful for pilots - it helps open our eyes, yet is not allowed ! Just plain stupid !

I love it when a server crashes, the first thing admins blame it on is mods. Kremator, they aren't going to give you the information you are looking for because they don't have it. Whats even funnier, is the server doesn't even need to run the mod, its just allowing clients to, but I guess its the easy way out "Mods crashed the server...... disable mods.... DONE!"

Also I've had some luck by requesting mods to be allowed on some servers, Old Farts has been wonderful about allowing popular mods. Other servers are still hesitant like 15th MEU, and others are downright retards about it, ie. Sparta.

Finally got around to DLing Vop Sound last night and was looking forward to chegging it. There were 3 PvP servers running that I frequent and none would allow me to use it. I think it's just a case of lazy-assed admins. I know because I'm one of them but, I at least have this key on our clan's server.

C'mon server admins, get your ass in gear.

I'll give you a for instance..... kju's distance tweak is just wonderful for pilots - it helps open our eyes, yet is not allowed ! Just plain stupid !

Doesn't it give you an unfair advantage over players who haven't downloaded that mod and isn't disallowing it then a valid (dare I say responsible) decision?

You're wasting your breath trying to tell the people who PAY for the servers how they should be run. Pay for your own or get involved in a community that does.

Sorry franklin, where is your information in ARMA2 that some mods crash the server ?

I can guarantee you that some mods crash the server. That's why it is quite important that servers use verifysignatures and only allow addons that won't crash them.

Properly made sound mods, model and texture replacements and other purely client-side stuff won't do the server any harm, but some stuff that affects the server and other clients can definitely crash them if they don't have the same addons.

It has been proven time and again through the history of this series. Good examples are XAM and ACE. Both crashed servers that didn't have the same addon.

I love it when a server crashes, the first thing admins blame it on is mods. Kremator, they aren't going to give you the information you are looking for because they don't have it. Whats even funnier, is the server doesn't even need to run the mod, its just allowing clients to, but I guess its the easy way out "Mods crashed the server...... disable mods.... DONE!"

Also I've had some luck by requesting mods to be allowed on some servers, Old Farts has been wonderful about allowing popular mods. Other servers are still hesitant like 15th MEU, and others are downright retards about it, ie. Sparta.

I love your attitude. You have proven:

1. you know nothing about mods/addons - and there is plenty there are are not properly configed etc.

2. you know nothing about arma1/2 servers. Yes, it crashes. I have yet to see a proper mission or a proper addon crashing it. BUT have seen plenty of inproper configed addons and mission that have been poorly scripted doing it.

In the end, you should be happy there are MP servers. And those are because of a number of clans or other communities that are PAYING for it. Hence, without PAYING, you have no right to even whine about, because you get your MP gaming for free.

Conclusion: go PAY monthly for a server you rent, or buy one and PAY the co-location, and you can do whatever you want with your own arma2 box, aight?

Hmmm, well. There are 2 types of servers. The ones that are relaxed and there is no competition (neither in coop or pvp), and the ones that are ranking everything. That said, everything that can give any sort of advantage (and sound mods are included here as well - related to Smockingtodd comment), are NOT allowed.

The servers are usually hosted by a community. It is up to that community to decide what they need or what they don't. Maybe no one is interested in your favourite addon? Have you thought about that?

TBH, i really don't get this thread? Unless you are part of a community (in which case you can suggest on their website/forums exactly the same thing), you have NO RIGHT to whine about (i am not amazed anymore about the whining since it's a god damn sport here on BIS forums)

I wouldn't really say I was whining, I wanted to inquire about the general community consensus on mods, as I've only had the game for about two months. Also I wasn't entirely sure if I was perhaps doing something wrong that would prevent me joining some games. Sometimes i log on and i can join the majority of servers, other times literally one out of the entire unfiltered list will be the only one i can join. Please do not make wild assumptions just because you deem yourself the 'Elite' of the Arma series. It's quite rude to assume the anonymity of the internet erases the rules of social acceptance.

Personally, this game is all about having fun. If a mod allows me to have a better experience, then I'm going to really want to play with it. I've also never been on a server where people playing with many mods have caused issues.

Oh and SG_Smokintodd, I really like your signature image =]

It's not the number of mods that have an effect on the servers. It's what they do. In general any 100% clientside addon works well as long as the server permits it.

Having the server block all mods (or all unsigned ones) is a good thing. It ensues a playing field where the skill of a player is a deciding factor, and not the mods said player uses.

It's up to each and every server-admin to choose which, if any, mods are allowed on their server. If you can't deal with that....well. Guess you won't be playing there, then.

I'll take a server that has a heavy amount of control in terms of what mods are allowed than one that you can join in with any mod you want.

If you aren't paying for the server, you don't have a say in what mods are allowed or not at all. Deal with it, or rent your own. You'll quickly realize why many server-admins in many cases are reluctant to allow mods.

Where does everyone with mods play online? I've sat here for half an hour trying every server on the list and not a single one will allow me on with my helicopter sound mod. It would be great if there was a way to filter out servers that don't like mods

On the Charlie Foxtrot server we seen a definite but unquantifiable change in server stability when we stopped guys from using mods in the tournament. Let me explain the situation as it was.

When A2 came out we let the guys on our Battle Days run VOP sound mod and also Language patches. When we disallowed them the server ran smoother. It just seems a lot more solid. I cant explain it, give it figures or values. However it was enough that all of the admins on the server said 'hey this made a difference, it FEELS better'. As a result we dont allow them on the server and probably wont for some time.

^^ All very subjective ... give me proof ! SEEMS is not a good enough reason.

I didnt allude that it was anything but subjective. Infact i even went as far as saying that it was unquantifiable. Take from it what you will.

what kind of proof do you want?

ok, number 1, check the rpt file when using an addon

number 2, check the server rpt file when using an addon

i am not saying that a proper client side addon (such as a sound mod) should crash a server. in fact there are just a few that i can list as stable and crash-proof...all the rest...hmmm, not so

Why should they (or any admin, really) have to prove it to you...? That attitude is, frankly, ungrateful. Especially when you stop to consider CF is pushing the limit with regards to server stability, to give people a fun, large-scale event. To say that their experience, however empirical, is irrelevant smacks of an outright arrogance bordering on idiocy.

It also contributes greatly to that attitude some admins have developed: "Fuck you, rent your own server."