caa1_p_roads
caa1_p_rocks
caa1_p_signs
caa1_r_a2_clutter
caa1_w_desert
caa1_w_sara
oac_core
utg_oac_core

I would be very interested in a completely stand alone island to distribute with project RACS.

CAA1 is not my project, if I did not answer you'd prob never get an answer,

CAA1 is just a port from Arma1 obviously, its kju's work, not mine, I would suggest asking a moderator

about your idea as all Im doing is helping out with files.

hey! is there any chance to see someone make the ArmA 1 campaign, using this mod?

thanks

There are a number of arma islands that will play in arma2, I have listed some below that our group use as part of our overall game world.

Now all play, but would need testing on your own pc, our group use all of these and some others, that I have not listed as they are not completely reliable.

United Sahrani would be the better choice if you want the Sahrani map as you have the complete island and also Rahmadi. However if fps is a concern you can load these independently. There are also quite a few variations of islands for example, you have Saharalite which is based on the Sahrani southern island but its a desert version with different towns and buildings, plus there are other Sahrani variations.

But all here listed do run, but would depend on various things such as mods/addons etc. Run clean to begin with then add what you think mod wise until you strike a problem, then back track and try again with other mods/addons.

The 'caa1 files' and or 'caa1 project files' will be needed to run these (Armaholic/Armed Assault sites). But it is strongly recommended that you run these clean first i.e. no mods then add as you go along, not all islands will act reliably with certain mods. Also these may not be what you remember from arma as some have had things removed that conflict here and there, but as said all run and are usable for mission making.

We use all of these islands, even the fun islands (hippie funland), they all have parts that can be used for a game world environment i.e. islands off islands etc, so its worth taking time to look around. Also we have added bits in here and there small towns/settlements etc, you could possibly do the same, some are a fairly blank canvas to work on, buildings from arma can and do work with these islands also arma 2 buidlings but well worth a look through the arma mods/addons.

Many of these islands are simply beautiful and it would be a shame for any, who have not seen these, to miss out, I can post some pics if needed in this post (spoiler) to give anyone an idea of the island if your new to it or didn't use it in arma..

Drago

Daraisolas

Desert wasteland

Gardinas island

Central Germany

Rahmadi extended

Ensk

Oruzgan Prov

Afghan valley ghor prov

HD tropical island

Yanutha

Afghan village

Applegate lake

Souther Sahrani

Syr Darain

Avgani

Grant airbase loiuisiana US

Area 51 Nevada

Bersivi Northern Iraq

Isla Barbuda

MLV PTO Argentino

Razani

Saltbeach island

Sarve

Schmalfelden

Tolafarush

Uhao

Camp Lejeune

Rahmadi no grass

Isla del jonas

Tatawin

Muses

Gott islands

Indiana farmland

La Samula

Hippie funland

South sahrani

Nevada desert

Pomgrat

Pomegratskaya

Sbrodjistan

Oceanworld

Mogadishu

Sakakah Al Jawf

Saharalite

Sahrani no grass

Porto

Rahmadi

Sahrani

United Sahrani

Our group has tested these, but this is an on-going need depending on which patch/beta your at, its not always straight forward, but with a little time and testing on your own pc, its well worth the effort..

Sorry, but I can’t guarantee each island will work for you, some may CTD, but only testing will find out which you can use. As said all work for our group..

Kju did a fantastic job, plus the caa1 project team, we owe them our thanks for the hard work and time they put into making this possible.

Edit:

Most of the islands mentioned are available via either Armed Assault or Armaholic look under arma/addons/islands. If any are no longer on these sites post up and I will try and sort out a link from somewhere else..

Edited by ChrisB

You should really link those islands that aren't already in CAA1, makes it easier for those folks that either dont know where to find them.

I downloaded this pack from Armaholic.

I get error messages when I use this mod. There are things missing, such as the water towers.

I don't have and can't find the file utg_oac_core that Günter Severloh listed above.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi!

I'm working with a small group and we're using Caa1 Project's Sahrani A2 Port for DayZ. First off we wanted to be sure this is not violating the terms of the Caa1 project! You can find the details on Opendayz dot net. I can not link as this is my first post :o

We as a group are also REALLY excited for Arma3 and will buying supporter versions on release day!

We were REALLY hoping to be able to pick up where this project left off and not only clean up some stuff in Sahrani for A2 and our DayZ Mod but even poss. port it over to A3!

Currently our DayZ Sahrani project is our main focus, and we've reached a point where we can only do so much out without the Visitor source files.

Is there an official route to either approach BI, or Kju about getting the source files?

We have a VERY strong group who is dedicated to this project and with these files I think we could do some GREAT things.

Any input or guidance or approval is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

First off we wanted to be sure this is not violating the terms of the Caa1 project!

Project is dead in a sense but no one is working on it anymore, and its been already said:

The future:

Essentially the project is now in the community, in Your hands!

You are the ones to make use of it, enjoy, play it!

But when i get to it i will be setting up a page, maybe on my existing website to compile and list for download all maps, and missions as well as any other information.

We were REALLY hoping to be able to pick up where this project left off and not only clean up some stuff in Sahrani for A2 and our DayZ Mod but even poss. port it over to A3!

Sounds great, if you guys are up to doing it then by all means, guess i wont bother then, but if you need references, and or links then let me know,

but most of the files, and links can be easily found.

Is there an official route to either approach BI, or Kju about getting the source files?

Its a mod, just download the mod and you have it.

BI has nothing to do with the mod, and Kju and team already moved on, the project is in the communities hands.

Welcome to Bis forums Btw! :)

Thanks!

I figured it was fine but just wanted to be 100pct sure. I'm a TOTAL Arma modding newb. I drop vehicles and coordinate the efforts of the smart guys lol...

Links or references would be great, I'm not too familiar with these forums... and if you'd like to offer your opinions or assistance on the project we'd love to have you! We are trying to build up a large group of coders/artists/modelers etc to REALLY get some great things done!

As far as the source files though I was referring to visitor files are those available as well?

Your welcome,

I'm not sure what your referring to about visitor files, but files for the mod aren't in any different form or have a different version for

different groups of people based on what they do, the mod is all in one and the same, just download and go from there.

you can get the whole mod here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7006&highlight=OAC

I suggest downloading the mod and testing it out to make sure it works as it should and if your missing files and or have errors

give me a shout i may know what you need, or have the file you need. I'm not an expert at the mod, or claim to be,

just interested in it and have used it alot.

We have the PBO world file which contains the WRP file (exported map file for short), we require the PEW file (map source file) to actually open the map up in Visitor.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?70190-Sahrani-Source-files

but you can see at a certain point they WERE NOT releasing them...

Kju got special permission from BIS and access to the source files you need in order to edit the map in visitor and in turn bring it over to A2 (or now in this case A3)...

This is why underground bunkers can not be added to existing maps like they were in Namalsk for example..

For us, placing certain buildings is becoming problematic and we need the visitor files in order to re-texture or level certain areas of the map... it will allow for the removal or clean up of some buildings that bump into or clip through each other as well... Plus obviously we would LOVE to bring this map over to A3 which again would require the PEW files.

There are no .pew files released and nothing can be done about that from anyone here. If you think kju has the pew file then contact him and ask if he can arrange something so you can get it too. That or contact BI directly and see if you can get the files.

Now please stop derailing this thread even more. Thanks.

I'm a member of the public attempting to take the Caa1 project and help not only improve parts for A2 but to carry it's work over to DayZ and Arma3 how is that de-railing the thread about the PUBLIC RELEASE OF CAA1? I have done multiple searches and contacted people via PM and email first...

I have contacted Kju and will continue to attempt to contact BIS.

Can't imagine how you got your title... and sweet sig. Way to encourage cooperation with BIS from the community! I personally hate steam but will be installing it just for A3 w/o complaints because they want me to in order to assist in their development. I like to be a helpful member of communities I join.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

*edit BTW... LOVE your mod... it's freaking AWESOME. Haven't played it in a while but updating it now so I can!

Edited by CiforDayZServer

It's derailing because it adds nothing to the work of kju after all. I appreciate that you used it instead creating yet another one, but it adds nothing new to the thread which is important to the public. :)

"Can't imagine how you got your title"

Careful now... :p

I see if I can find someone inside BI who could deal with that, but no promises.

@CiforDayZserver: I think this project falls under BIS license for the released MLODs (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?66013-MLOD-of-all-vehicle-and-soldier-models-released!). See if you can find any documentation about it in the download. If it does you should find it there.

If I remember correctly a mod under this BIS mlod license give other mods the right to use it, but all their work falls under the very same license. I'm not 100% about this anymore but please read up on the link I gave you.

I'm quite sure Kju doesn't have the pew files. I remember I helped fixing the roads for the AI. Its all done from the "outside".

Hey there. Perhaps this is not outrageous to bring up but I'd like to help elements of this project move forward, particularly with the ArmA I campaigns I can transfer over with CAA1, so it'll primarily involve the Armed Assault campaign and Rahmadi Conflict. First things out of the way in what I've tested, most of which you already know.

- I can get no game audio outside of music. Any type of audio characters are supposed to express via cutscenes and radio do not work. As such, this is primarily an issue for full on scenes in the campaigns.

- Considering the state of the Armed Assault campaign, I'm unsure if the original design of the campaign was in tact. In the original game, you had a map screen where you can choose miniature missions before you take on a full fledged mission. I believe with the current design that all of the missions are blank, not considering any information from connected levels. I can personally handle this, but for those who want to carry the tradition of the original game, that may be something I may not be able to do. If I learn and have time, I will. Maybe :P

- The briefings are absolute fubar. They clearly exist in the game, but their present state does not showcase any text in CAA1.

- Mission triggers are wonky. In the second mission in the Rahmadi Conflict campaign, I gunned one of the guys before walking to a waypoint. Problem was, the gunned man was a friendly and I was talking to a corpse. In text, given the current state.

- Scenes in the newsroom should have a male here if I remember, but a female model is there instead. Could be wrong on this.

I figure, if it's not too much, I'd like to get those campaigns in a fully booting state, so anyone who has the more technical expertise to polish and refine the campaigns has the plate to build on. I've heard that the ArmA I campaigns are haphazardly coded, so perhaps those here may help me see why that is. Anything that seems to boot and work mean it at least works out of the gate, so it's more of potential coding polishing, getting it in a state similar to the original or a more finished state. Any exceptions I know of will be mentioned.

Without further ado, I'd like to list a series of each mission to tell you their basic status. This will include cutscenes and stuff unlocked with a cheat code.

Armed Assault:

- ANN: Sahrani (Cutscene): Works, AAN border isn't cropped properly, and the lack of audio. I won't be repeating this as an issue, as it does apply to every cutscene as I said.

- Transport (Mission): Fails to boot at all. I see a Config: some input after EndOfFile message. I believe it lacks a briefing screen as the mission primarily focuses on a surprise attack, so this clearly must be how the mission is coded upon boot.

- ANN: Breaking News (Cutscene): AAN border not cropped properly, but crops naturally to resolution after it cuts to another area, which is done to showcase the attack from the last mission.

- Map: Beaten Dog (Map): Map shows mission options, all of the visual prompts for the missions show the same location. Map isn't properly scaled to resolution.

- Sniper and Convoy (Mission): Boots.

- Direct Hit (Mission): Boots.

- Beaten Dog (Mission): Boots.

- ANN: Interview (Cutscene): Typical AAN scene issues.

- Map: Dolores (Map): Typical Map issues.

- Unsurrounding (Mission): Boots. (When I first tried this it failed, but it was with mods).

- Construction Convoy (Mission): Boots.

- Dolores (Mission): Boots. I think the first convoy is moving at a far faster speed than in the original, making the planning far more accelerated.

- ANN: Night Report (Cutscene): Typical AAN scene issues. I think the reporter is supposed to talk to a soldier...who walks offscreen into a car. The lack of audio doesn't help me figure if this is an issue, or just the reporter talking the whole time.

- Map: Somato (Map): Typical map issues.

- Sanitary Operation (Mission): Boots.

- The Hotel (Mission): Boots.

- Battle of Somato (Mission): Boots.

- ANN: War Reporter (Cutscene): Typical scene issues, except when it goes back to the newsroom, the reporter (who should be male) is a ghost. Not there!

- Map: Dawn of Hope (Map): Typical map issues.

- Ammunition Dumps (Mission): Boots. This mission has had a haphazard chance that the buildings you're supposed to convey around don't actually load in.

- Awakening (Mission): Boots.

- Dawn of Hope (Mission): Boots.

- ANN: Ready for War (Cutscene): Same AAN stuff~

- Map: Reclaiming (Map): Boots.

- Chopper Assault (Mission): Boots.

- Convoy Attack (Mission): Boots.

- Counterattack (Mission): Boots.

- Map: IET (Map): Typical map stuff.

- Chopper Transport (Mission): Boots.

- BIG BANG (Mission): Boots.

- BIG BANG 2 (Mission): Boots.

- Into Enemy Territory (Mission): Boots.

- ANN: Short News (Cutscene): Female reporter should be male.

- Map: Gryphons (Map): Typical map jargon.

- Saboteur (Mission): Boots.

- Armored Fist (Mission): Boots.

- The Camp (Mission): Boots.

- The Great Battle (Mission): Boots.

- AAN: Quick Update (Cutscene): Female reporter instead of male.

- Map: Countdown (Map): Does it need repeating?

- Final Countdown (Mission): Fails to load. Brings up a "File campaigns\ca\missions09FinalCountdown.Sara\description.ext, line 328: /CfgMusic/: Missing '}'"

- Final Countdown - Tsunami Wave (Mission): Boots. I've had it fail to load on me before, perhaps due to mods.

Rahmadi Conflict:

- Intro (Cutscene): No voice is the only issue.

- The Briefing (Cutscene): No voice.

- The Coast (Mission): Boots. Fails to script the AI to get out of the boat, forcing the player to do the entire mission by oneself while the other three fly around like babboons.

- Hard-fought Guard (Cutscene): No voice.

- The President (Mission): Boots.

- The Strange Island (Cutscene): No voice.

- Chapter Three: Last Resort (Mission): Boots. Fails to script the AI to get off of the helicopter, making it a deadly repeat of the first mission.

- Outro (Cutscene): No voice.

All of the tests I did were just with CAA1 active and no other mandatory mods, so this is a clean test.

Overall, as you can see, there's not a whole lot to get the base game to become playable. Not super polished, but playable. Just a few level fixes, fixing AAN's cropping and female reporter in the news room, fixing the briefings and the audio. All of that would make it work. I'm surprised nobody has heavily worked on these campaigns, as there's not a whole lot that needs tweaking to get up and running. Having it run flawlessly is another thing. At this time, I have no idea of how to access Queen's Gambit as a campaign to test in ArmA II, as it lacks a campaign listing in the ArmA I files. Perhaps it is created via addons and other content, making it very hard to port over?

I'm not sure if asking to work on these campaigns is allowed, but seeing at a point these were being worked on by fans in the past that I assume that clearance to work and convert them is given a green light. I'm sorry if bringing up all of this is too much to read, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I remember one of the intents of CAA1 was to convert pre-ArmA II content to that game, so I figure I'd at least try and give a silly little attempt. As much as people may look over ArmA I compared to OFP, but I think the wonderful efforts of the CWR2 bringing OFP to ArmA II make me feel personally that the core between OFP and ArmA II should be fairly represented in ArmA II as well. I'd love for ArmA II to be the home for all things pre-ArmA III in terms of campaigns and content from BIS themselves.

I myself have asked Gunter about tools, so I have ArmA Edit and Cbpo, so I believe I am able to extract and tamper. I'd like to first get all missions booted first, then deal with the scripting issues in the Rahmadi Conflict missions. Audio, the AAN newsdesk reporter, and briefing text should come last, after all of the missions can at least boot up and be finished. The thing is I'm unsure on how to deal with the aforementioned issues. I suppose what I can do is post the core information, and maybe someone more familiar with editing and modding can tell me what exactly is wrong with it. I think that would narrow down the issues significantly, as like I said, I'm rather unfamiliar with all of this. I do wish to learn and work on it, though! Like, if someone can tell me how briefings work, and how it's coded in these campaigns, that could narrow down what has to be retrofitted to fix it. I have the time to do it, but I'd like someone here who is more technical to help me grasp this so that I can start doing it on my own.

Edited by Foffy

I've always wanted to play ArmA 1 campaign on CAA1.

It's great if you can make it.

Be sure I'll play it!

Hi Foffy,

I'd suggest starting with one thing and then going from there, what do you need to figure out or want to start with?

As for the campaigns or the missions I never played them, always played my own built in the editor or ones made by the community.

Okay, I figure the easiest one I know I can work on to try to fix would be the Final Countdown mission. I'm going to copy over the CfgMusic listing and perhaps you call can help me figure out what's wrong. This is lines 319-328

class CfgMusic

{
tracks[]={};

class final
{
 name = "final";
 sound[] = {"\sound\final.ogg", db+1, 1.0};
};

Now, the issue claims that line 328 is missing a } bracket, and if my coding skills are anything worth their salt (I took coding courses in college before I wanted to become a cognitive therapist) do the {} brackets on both tracks and sound get nullified between opening and closing {} brackets? Because that way would show two {} brackets (one for tracks, one for sound), two { brackets underneath the class listings, and only one } bracket to close the code. At least, if I remember much from coding this is what it entails. So, if my guess is correct, the following should solve the issue?

class CfgMusic

{
tracks[]={};

class final
{
 name = "final";
 sound[] = {"\sound\final.ogg", db+1, 1.0};
};

};

A silly question I feel like asking but I know how to unpack the .pbo files, and I guess I know how to look in and clean up stuff if the above is any indication, but how do I exactly repackage and save it to try it out? I'd at least like to see if my silly Professor Layton skills here have actually surfaced in some type of progress. Out of the missions that have booting problems, seeing as I'm currently (but not permanently I hope) doing this solo, it's the easiest one I can deduce with my light hamster wheel work as a programmer to see and deal with. I was also considering looking at one of the CAA1 solo missions converted for ArmA II (Blood, Sweat, and Tears) because I know the opening cutscenes and audio in the mission work, as a means of trying to figure out why the audio didn't work, but the opening cutscene causes the game to crash. I have no idea if it's because it is supposed to transition to another scene, or in fact something to do with the audio, but I'd rather not use that as inspiration and risk fixing all of this, only for it to consistently crash.

EDIT: Hey Gunter. I figure the first thing in order here would be to get every mission to at least boot up first, and then deal with the kinks. What exactly causes a "Config: some input after EndOfFile" message? That's a mystery to me. I can list my plans here if it helps with planning the means of assistance. :P

- Get all missions to boot (Duh, this is needed!)

- Get the missions I know have screwed up issues at boot to be fixed (The two Rahmadi Conflict missions)

- Run through all of the missions to see if any crashes occur (if possible I'd like to use something to give me God mode, just to see if missions have any failed triggers or what have you. Mainly as a test to see if mission triggers and scripts work)

- Fix the audio

- Add in briefings

- Clean up any other hiccups

Edited by Foffy

Cant help you with the sound stuff, as far as i understand you need a }; to close the code.

but how do I exactly repackage and save it to try it out?

with CPBO, the tool i linked you in the pm. extract, and create pbo.

right click the folder and then in the list should be create pbo.

That did indeed solve it! One down, but I noticed a potentially very troubling issue; the AI seems to not like driving on bridges, so it drives around them. I remember, and tested the mission in vanilla ArmA I and the APC you start in clearly crosses a bridge. What I ended up getting here was an APC that went down a hill, only to slowly go towards the waypoint in reverse, backing the APC up a hill. There also seemed to be a lack of audio from the APC, and I suppose this is once again attributed to the mystery of the sound. :P

I thought this issue with CAA1 was fixed with an update, or is the version on ArmAHolic not the most recent version? Seems fixing one minor issue raise a very big one to my attention.

EDIT: I had a hunch regarding the game audio, and my hunch was spot on. I hypothesized that ArmA I was coded to automatically look for sound folders and use the ones native to a mission and play them naturally. This clanged in ArmA II as it was designed to require "\foldername\" to actually use the sounds from there. I do not believe this will solve the sound effects like the APC being mute as the only types of files in these folders are exclusively radio chatter. I'll be able to easily redirect all of the games radio and cutscene audio, so that's one minor thing out of the way. Seems also the mission progression values are in tact as well, but that will be a later test after I can get the first mission to boot, but I don't know what causes it from not booting..

EDIT 2: Also figured out why there was no briefing files. Just like with ArmA I to II, this was a change; all of the missions have no Briefing.sqf, and I have NO clue on how to make those. At best, I'd be able to do text. Right now I'll just deal with setting up audio, as I don't know how to solve the issues I have with the first mission in Armed Assault that can't boot, the bridge thing, and the dismounting issue in Rahmadi Conflict with AI.

EDIT 3: And I've redirected all of the audio files expect for one mission, and this is because it's...coded strangely. It's hard to put into words, but it's done so oddly that simply splicing in the folder directory causes the scene to crash to desktop. I'll probably have to recode the entire thing myself for that.

Edited by Foffy

the AI seems to not like driving on bridges

In Arma1 they were like that, so Im not totally sure that the same issue was fixed in Arma2CO, although there are no bridges on vanilla maps anyways.

all of the missions have no Briefing.sqf, and I have NO clue on how to make those.

Not hard, but you have to do a few things, dont think i sent you a link to Armaedit did I? well here it is anyways:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1455&highlight=ARMAEDIT

and the patch for it:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1508&highlight=ARMAEDIT

For a briefing i will give you an example, and then you can go from there but for the script itself, once you get armedit installed do the following:

Start Armaedit

1. go to file (top left)

2. choose new file

3. then from the list choose function file (sqf)

4. an example below of how to setup a basic briefing:

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Credits", "Mission Built by you. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Helicopter Support", "You have available to you at the Airfield an AH-64D Apache Chopper. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Ammo", "You have available to you an Ammo Cache at the base. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Objectives", "There are 6 total Overall objectives.
Each enemy objective has a base camp with mulitple smaller objectives within them. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Respawn", "When and if you should die you will have 5 camps to spawn at and an Airfiled for your use, refer to the map for their specific locations. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Briefing", "Satillite images, and a recon UAV have discovered and located multiple enemy base camps in the region.
Your Team's Task is to locate these objectives, and wipe out any enemy presence there.
Refer to the Tasks Tab to see these objectives specifically, and locations on your map. "]];

Ok just an example from a mission I built but basically theres one code:

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["title", "message. "]];

so the above is the basic code which you can reuse several times as seen in the bigger version above.

lets add some info to this one line as an example:

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["[b]weapons[/b]", "[b]You can find weapons and ammo at the camp.[/b] "]];

What i bolded is all you change, what i normally do is copy n paste these codes and then fill the rest with what i want based on my mission.

basically it for that.

5. so paste the code above in the open script you created, make your changes of course,a dn then when you save, you need to save as this:

briefing

6. next script you need is the init script.

same thing as above in steps 1-3 bit go to it will be a function file and you want to save the script as:

init

in the init script place the following code:

[] execVM "briefing.sqf";

7. last thing you need is to create a briefing file (html), and save it as:

briefing

nothing for you to do but create it.

Now take these 3 scripts you made and put them in the same folder of the mission, where the mission.sqm is located.

once you go ingame, go to your map (m by default) you should see under notes, your briefing.

Hope that helps.

I will have our Map guy look at this and reconfirm, but if I understood him correctly, he can ALL of the road stuff for AI pretty quickly for ALL these maps if we get approval to mod it in Visitor..

As the project coordinator I would be willing to request he finishes all the roads for all the maps before we start editing Sahrani for DayZ in visitor if this is approved by BI.

I've been informed by a couple members of the team we prob. don't even need the .PEW files... JUST approval from BI to reverse engineer the maps and recomplie them...

We would not want any revisions to the credits or anything like that... Caa1 Guys did ALL the heavy lifting, we'd just like to give back to the Arma Community and be able to mod the map a with some more control for our DayZ Version... Although I don't know if that would require .kju or someone from the Caa1 to redo the sigs? We can make them ourselves but obv. wouldn't want to be doing that signing for someone else. (If anything I say sound fundamentally flawed or dumb, it's totally possible, I'm NO expert on any of this, I'm just trying to get things coordinated so they move forward faster and more efficiently for the WHOLE community not just our project)

Another one of our group is a HUGE ArmA Fan so I'm sure he'd be into the idea of helping where he can on the continuation of this project as well...

I'd LOVE to play the missions from ArmA I not just in A2 but A3 Now too!!!!

In Arma1 they were like that, so Im not totally sure that the same issue was fixed in Arma2CO, although there are no bridges on vanilla maps anyways.

Not hard, but you have to do a few things, dont think i sent you a link to Armaedit did I? well here it is anyways:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1455&highlight=ARMAEDIT

and the patch for it:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1508&highlight=ARMAEDIT

For a briefing i will give you an example, and then you can go from there but for the script itself, once you get armedit installed do the following:

Start Armaedit

1. go to file (top left)

2. choose new file

3. then from the list choose function file (sqf)

4. an example below of how to setup a basic briefing:

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Credits", "Mission Built by you. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Helicopter Support", "You have available to you at the Airfield an AH-64D Apache Chopper. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Ammo", "You have available to you an Ammo Cache at the base. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Objectives", "There are 6 total Overall objectives.
Each enemy objective has a base camp with mulitple smaller objectives within them. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Respawn", "When and if you should die you will have 5 camps to spawn at and an Airfiled for your use, refer to the map for their specific locations. "]];
player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["Briefing", "Satillite images, and a recon UAV have discovered and located multiple enemy base camps in the region.
Your Team's Task is to locate these objectives, and wipe out any enemy presence there.
Refer to the Tasks Tab to see these objectives specifically, and locations on your map. "]];

Ok just an example from a mission I built but basically theres one code:

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["title", "message. "]];

so the above is the basic code which you can reuse several times as seen in the bigger version above.

lets add some info to this one line as an example:

player createDiaryRecord["Diary", ["[b]weapons[/b]", "[b]You can find weapons and ammo at the camp.[/b] "]];

What i bolded is all you change, what i normally do is copy n paste these codes and then fill the rest with what i want based on my mission.

basically it for that.

5. so paste the code above in the open script you created, make your changes of course,a dn then when you save, you need to save as this:

briefing

6. next script you need is the init script.

same thing as above in steps 1-3 bit go to it will be a function file and you want to save the script as:

init

in the init script place the following code:

[] execVM "briefing.sqf";

7. last thing you need is to create a briefing file (html), and save it as:

briefing

nothing for you to do but create it.

Now take these 3 scripts you made and put them in the same folder of the mission, where the mission.sqm is located.

once you go ingame, go to your map (m by default) you should see under notes, your briefing.

Hope that helps.

I have a rough idea, and while I will personally tinker with it, would it be much to get an example of an actual briefing from the game? That way I can actually get a clearer, more coherent sense of what to do. This is from the first Rahmadi Conflict mission, so maybe you can help string to me the clutter; I assume ArmA II changed this so some of the variables in briefing probably don't mean much anymore.

THE SABOTAGE

According to plan, we have to silently get on the island and put some satchels under their armor on the main beach (with focus on Shilkas). Flashteam, the another team special forces team, will do the same with the small beach on the East. We have to kind of synchronize, because the ship attack on the Island can start only when both teams are ready. Once the attack is commenced, we press the button and take those armor to hell.

THE ATTACK SUPPORT

When you see the boats you can use your weapons to support the attack. SLAgs won't know where to aim first. Capturing and securing the coast is the main objective.

Leon Ortega must survive.

Prepare [b]the sabotage[/b] and call the attack.

Wait for Flashteam to be ready.

Support [b]the attack[/b] and seize the coast.

Mission accomplished

The coast is ours, gentlemen.

Mission failed

You've failed the mission.

Mission failed

Desertion is not tolerated, soldier!!!

Mission failed

Leon has been killed.

The bold I believe are supposed to be clickable triggers in the briefing to home into where the next phase is, and I'd like to keep those in tact too. I'm not sure if ArmA automates these things for the player or not, so assume each 'pointer' goes to a particular waypoint via objectives. That's particularly what I'm confused about most regarding trying to get these up and running.

I will have our Map guy look at this and reconfirm, but if I understood him correctly, he can ALL of the road stuff for AI pretty quickly for ALL these maps if we get approval to mod it in Visitor..

As the project coordinator I would be willing to request he finishes all the roads for all the maps before we start editing Sahrani for DayZ in visitor if this is approved by BI.

I've been informed by a couple members of the team we prob. don't even need the .PEW files... JUST approval from BI to reverse engineer the maps and recomplie them...

We would not want any revisions to the credits or anything like that... Caa1 Guys did ALL the heavy lifting, we'd just like to give back to the Arma Community and be able to mod the map a with some more control for our DayZ Version... Although I don't know if that would require .kju or someone from the Caa1 to redo the sigs? We can make them ourselves but obv. wouldn't want to be doing that signing for someone else. (If anything I say sound fundamentally flawed or dumb, it's totally possible, I'm NO expert on any of this, I'm just trying to get things coordinated so they move forward faster and more efficiently for the WHOLE community not just our project)

Another one of our group is a HUGE ArmA Fan so I'm sure he'd be into the idea of helping where he can on the continuation of this project as well...

I'd LOVE to play the missions from ArmA I not just in A2 but A3 Now too!!!!

How much did you and your map guy get done? I'm sure my mini chump-change fixes can go over to you guys, if you've done more. I can only attest to about four major issues; one mission fails to boot at all, two have the AI unable to dismount, and one mission has an issue with a bridge. I'm not sure if ArmA I was ever patched, but I can personally attest that the issue with the bridge is something that the first game didn't do in such a way; maybe because the AI getting on the bridge was during and after a cutscene, but in ArmA II the AI doesn't seem to care and go straight down a hill underneath the bridge. :P

I'm also not sure but wouldn't converting this stuff to ArmA III be potentially very spotty? For one, seeing as the game uses a new clothing system, what variables do we give assets in ArmA I and II? I worry direct converting would give armor the variable of 0 or null, making it essentially a nude run, as far as the game considers armor.

EDIT: Hohoho, I found the Queen's Gambit campaign! I'll try to update the audio and do a test of those things, too. Once I finally have a full idea of progress on the basic status of every mission and scene, I can finally ballpark what's seriously wrong. Right now the first mission from the Armed Assault campaign is the biggest issue, as it never loads at all. Regarding Queen's Gambit however, I have not been able to find a way to get the unique mercenary NPC models over, so vanilla merc mooks will have to do at this time. Also, it seems the merc models the game uses don't speak English, so there's a strange disconnect between how they sound in scenes, and in gameplay.

Without further ado, the current status for the Queen's Gambit missions. Do note the repeat of the Arms Dealer mission is because between missions you can go buy stuff.

- Spy (Mission): The scene that is supposed to play here does not upon replays, so you have to start a new game to see it. Also, there appears to be strange placement of character models who should be partaking in conversation. The mission boots fine, however.

- Base (Mission): Boots, I believe one AI member fails to dismount from the chopper.

- Turncoat (Cutscene): Boots, but the cutscene audio is was too loud. AI driving is spotty, and some scenes actually have a strange chopping scrolling effect.

- Arms Dealer (Mission): Boots. Takes some time for it to show visual, as it's stuck on a black screen for a few seconds.

- Camp (Mission): Boots. Claims it's missing prisoner faces, so I fear what they might look like, or perhaps the character models fail to load in at all...

- Bad News (Cutscene): Fails to boot. Lacks prisoner faces, so the scene won't play, proving my earlier hypothesis.

- Arms Dealer (Mission): Boots. Same as the last.

- Genocide (Mission): Boots. Lacking prisoner faces.

- Old Friend (Cutscene): Fails to boot. Lacking prisoner faces.

- Arms Dealer (Mission): Same case as previous Arms Dealer missions.

- Reality Show (Mission): Boots, and just like a few missions in the Rahmadi Conflict, the AI does not dismount from the helicopter.

- Proclamation (Cutscene): Fails to play the cutscene. Like the first mission on replay or after skipping the actual scene for said mission, it simply puts you in first person and the characters vision simply scrolls about, failing to play the actual scene (which is in a building)

- Cutscene (Cutscene): No idea what this is. It has no information and you start in one area..in gameplay. Strange. The same applies in ArmA I, so perhaps using a cheat code actually unlocked this as unfinished material?

- Arms Dealer (Mission): Same as the others.

- Meeting (Mission): Boots. You can play it, but there's no waypoint, or any other information so I have no idea if it's even working properly. I believe a cutscene is supposed to play, as it does in ArmA I..

- Day After (Cutscene): Boots, but like Proclamation, you're in first person and the characters vision randomly scrolls about. Strange here is that audio from the scene actually plays, albeit with no text.

- Escape (Mission): Boots.

- Checkmate (Cutscene): Boots, audio is too loud, and character positioning is off.

- Bailout (Cutscene): Boots, audio is ABSURDLY loud.

With that out of the way, I think the first act is to get the missions and cutscenes that fail to work properly at all to get into a state where they at least work. If all of the missions and scenes at least show some visual, it's then a case of tampering with what we can see.

- Transport (Armed Assault)

- Bad News (Queen's Gambit)

- Old Friend (Queen's Gambit)

With these three, assuming Cutscene (Queen's Gambit) is simply an unfinished idea, are the only ones that simply fail to show anything. The solution for the first mission, I've no honest idea. The other two fail to boot as it requires faces for prisoners (particularly a no entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgFaces.prisoner' message), so I think an easy solution there would be to find a way to force the game to maybe take a random civilian model instead. Unless someone has a good prisoner model and the expertise to add it in. I'd be willing to send all of the updates I've currently done to anyone who wants to really work on this, as I've accomplished mostly meager fixes. Once all of the games main pieces of content are up and running, then it's a case of fixing blatantly noticeable issues, and then a later coat of polish to fix some hiccups or strange things. From what I can grasp in terms of the severity of issues, I don't think it will require too much to fix and address these things. The problem is I currently lack any knowhow on how to do any of this, so the small things can be left to me. Hopefully someone can come along and help assist with the current roadblocks I've encountered.

Edited by Foffy