Auss

Australia island in Arma2

they're just doing the island, if you want some units, make them yourself.

This is correct, but we also have to make a bit of content to fit the island. Like windmills, houses, buildngs etc... just a few things that BIS dont have. Nothing too complex, except the Sydney harbour bridge and the opera house, both being made by Bern.

Weren't half the inhabitants of Sahrani wearing thongs and shorts? Shit they'd just need a couple of quick reskins for the occasional VB shirt and while driving the Commodore wearing the aforementioned, the ability to honk and yell 'showusyertits'...

Seriously though, this looks like its going to be a lot of fun. :D

Weren't half the inhabitants of Sahrani wearing thongs and shorts? Shit they'd just need a couple of quick reskins for the occasional VB shirt and while driving the Commodore wearing the aforementioned, the ability to honk and yell 'showusyertits'...

Haha, yeah for sure. I might have to add that into the interaction menu.

Instead of the standard greeting being 'How are you today', it'll be 'I'll giv ya a fiver ef ya sho us ya milkers luv'.

And as for gum trees, definitely.

Man I see bunch of new addons coming when this map gets released: VB, XXXX, Coop... =)

blow up Sydney...

Hi all, were slowly getting the island up and running in Arma2. Still some small issues but overall pretty happy with the textures and clutter. I'll post up some more of the cities once we've added some Arma2 buildings. Also need to fix the satelite images, and work on a decent texture/clutter for the outback.

arma2%202009-08-21%2001-16-21-43.jpg

arma2%202009-08-21%2001-18-45-02.jpg

arma2%202009-08-21%2001-22-16-58.jpg

arma2%202009-08-21%2001-27-32-68.jpg

field.jpg

can you fix the links please

can you fix the links please

I'll get Aussie to re-post those screenies. Or i'll just make some more.

blow up Sydney...

Well all the people from Melbourne would probably be onboard with that mission... ;)

holy sh*t

(pardon my language)

Cheers thanks for the pics. quick question. why not make a map of england ;)

Is this map based on a small part of australia or the whole island?

jonneymendoza: what does England have to with this project? :) here, lemme help you making it yourself: heightmap of England (GB) ;)

Australia project features entire land, inc. Tasmania.

Edited by IceBreakr

Thrash: did you convert A1 trees?

These are the things we're discussing at the moment. Do we swap all A1 trees for A2 trees? Do we include a tree addon pack (with A1 trees included)? Will we even be allowed to distribute A1 trees? etc...

In the screenies you see, we're still using A1 trees until we figure out a solution.

What we're currently working on is sorting out the clutter, and replacing the A1 roads for A2 roads, all 1000km of them!!. Aussie has been putting in the big hours and doing all the tech work, figuring out the config etc, while i'm playing the map and taking screenies for you all :yay: He just sent me some screenies of what he's working on at the moment, and it looks good. I'll see if i can get some shots if it when he's finished :).

Is this map based on a small part of australia or the whole island?

As IceBreaker stated (cheers mate), it's the entire continent but we've taken a bit of an artistic licence when it comes to.. well, basically everything except the shape....:rolleyes:

We've also enlarged all the major coastal inlets (Sydney, Adelaide etc) so they're big enough to build a city around, plus the desert/farmland/tropical areas etc are in the correct places.

Edited by Thrash

Do we include a tree addon pack (with A1 trees included)? Will we even be allowed to distribute A1 trees? etc...

In the screenies you see, we're still using A1 trees until we figure out a solution.

Sounds to me like the solution is to make it CAA1 dependant. Issue of tree copyright is bypassed then :)

(plus, I think A1 trees are generally better than A2 trees... :))

Sounds to me like the solution is to make it CAA1 dependant. Issue of tree copyright is bypassed then :)

(plus, I think A1 trees are generally better than A2 trees... :))

I'd vote against that.. Not everyone has the download quota for the CAA1 download and as an Aussie, I would love to fight in and around various Australian locations.

I'd vote against that.. Not everyone has the download quota for the CAA1 download and as an Aussie, I would love to fight in and around various Australian locations.

Agree. A huge CAA1 file is not ideal

As for the "copyright" issue ?? What makes people think there is one?

Lots of BIS ArmA1 content is being turned into A2 content and its my understanding that so long as its used only within BIS own games (and binarized no doubt) then theres no issues. Right?

Gnat;1433276']Agree. A huge CAA1 file is not ideal

As for the "copyright" issue ?? What makes people think there is one?

Lots of BIS ArmA1 content is being turned into A2 content and its my understanding that so long as its used only within BIS own games (and binarized no doubt) then theres no issues. Right?

The issue is that it's game content from one game, imported into another game. OK the games are related, but they're different products. If the importation method allows resources that have not been purchased legitimately beforehand.... I dunno, it just sounds like it's definately a copyright issue.

I don't know the details of how & why the CAA1 team have got permission, but just about every other game developer doesn't like resources from one game being made publicly available for use in another game willy-nilly. They like to control it.

This project has been impressive since the start and knowing that the entire continent is being done instead of just a small section island/map for playing makes me all the more excited about it. :)

Thrash: well, I have a same problem with my island. A1 plants or CAA1 didn't suit me because its very hard to convince someone to download couple of gigs just to check out my work.

At the end I've packed everything into a new "ILuvGreen" pbo addon and even retextured A2 autumn trees to summer-like. I've also made a test/list what A1 trees can be replaced to A2 ones without size difference and they looks closest to the originals ;)

Icebreakr - We will be using A1 trees also, I will make up a pbo using trees from Arma1 that we like, I dont want to use CAA1 and have an extra 2 gig of addons that the player must download.

I've also made a test/list what A1 trees can be replaced to A2 ones without size difference and they looks closest to the originals

Any chance I could get my hands on that list IceBreakr? Sounds like it'll save us heaps of time :)

Edited by Aussie