Sign in to follow this  
bascule42

Holo gunsight...utter pap?

The Holo sight.  

207 members have voted

1. 1. The Holo sight.

• So into this sight that you would introduce it to your parents, and form a lasting relationship?
    • Its OK. It does the job.
    • Should be avoided like the plague bearing rat that it really is.
    • Couldn't care less.

You can even shoot irons with both eyes open, it just doesn't feel as natural as doing it with a red dot sight.

You said so, I said it's for illumination because black iron sights in low-light doesn't work, then you said that the crosshair does that fine. This means, and I'm fairly certain you're not this stupid but I will explain it, that you either use the crosshair to shoot or don't understand the concept of illuminated sights.

I dont rememeber saying anything about the crosshair... Well, whenever I'm playing in dark areas in ArmA, I use the NVGs. I agree that it is somewhat easier to aim something like the Aimpoint/EoTech, but I can do it fine with irons too. They're not a substitution for proper night vision either way.

Hmmm, perhaps you guys have your brightness too high or post-processing effects are making it super bright, but for me it's fine. It's better than the red-dot sight.

Afaik you wouldn't even be able to use sights with normal NVGs. As OA gets laser IR, hopefully we'll be able to force off NVGs in sighted mode (unless it's a night vision scope naturally). But we'd better have some moonlight dammit :D

The "shoot with both eyes open" (semitransparent) thingy for the aimpoints, was ment as a suggestion to get the aiming devices to have an advantage over ironsights. Being able to do this with iron sights, even though feeling a bit unnatural, would loose this advantage.

The holo sight like the M68 or the Eotech are only good for (imo) TrackIR users because they can bank there heads sideways

Red dots and escpecially the Eotech sight suck because the dots have too big pixels and when aimed in the wrong "direction" during daytime you can't see shit through them.

BTW: AK ironsights are worse...

I'd say keep it if we could change the reticule. I prefer just the red dot.

I'm done with all Aimpoints. I'm going through a bunch of Arma missions and replacing them with M16A4_ACGs or at least providing a weapons box for custom load-out.

I got used to the ACOG sight and its excellent range and going back to the Aimpoint or iron sights feels like I'm shooting with a tennis racket.

If the mission gives you East weapons, I try to put in AK-74s with scopes (which are nice). Shooting ironsights with an AK-47 at range just isn't any fun.

Doesn't all sights involving glass suffer from reflections in real life, incl. ACOGs no matter how many coatings of anti reflectance material you put on it? I hope that one day we can have zoomed scopes that can zoom only a circular portion of the screen instead of todays black border.

Main problem with reflector sights today is while crouched. Eventually the gun will misalign, but the dot no longer points where the bullet will go due to its textured approach. One of the other of the bugs have to go.

Plenty of games do that already CarlG. Look to red orchestra for one, and certain Half-life mods for others.

-K

In real life I LOVE EOTech sights and I'd never use my weapon without it. However in the game I stay away from them at all times.

1: You cannot use this sight at night what-so-ever. Real sights have a brightness adjustment for this.

2: It acts just like an iron sight. The target reticule, or "dot", doesn't even follow where the gun is pointing, it's just painted onto the optics! (retarded as all hell)

For these reasons alone I always use AGOC sights or irons.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Yes NkEnNy, but other games are not Arma ;) I just briefly tried Red Orchestra ages ago, and found it to be lacking in some respects. Never tried any half life stuff, although I like the SP story, the "feel" just isn't me.

I prefer the M16 ironsight over any holo sight. But I prefer the M4 Aimpoint over the ironsight, because the shorter barrel makes the front sight too "big" (inaccurate). And I agree, I will use the EOTech if that's my only choice, but it looks rather horrible.

BIS needs to improve all of the weapons for crying out LOUD!

M16 and M4 suck, Pistols useless, MP5 sucks, G36Aimpoint not adjusted right, 50 cal doesnt kill somebody sometimes at the center of mass.

BIS please give us an update to the weapons please.

I disagree. The DMR is a fucking weapon of mass destruction. AKM is a vicious beast in trained hands. M4 and its variants give you an excellent all round weapon system.

It is unfortunate that Ironsights works so poorly in Arma2. Despite the lack of realism, I heartily recommend playing with crosshair reticule . (which contrary to some believe are excellent and in many ways more realistically than Ironsights)

The ACOG should be the standard optic. The one that's lighted and has a chevron with BDC and stadia marks.

The parallax issue on the holosights and NVG that goes black when zoomed in are really annoying ingame, infact they are bordering on being gamebreakers when you feel you have to resort to scoped weapons just not to be fooled by the poor sights.

ACOG combined with the fact that almost any shot is a calm and aimed shot for players, is for me a game breaker. We're now using that slightly unrealistic increased AI dispersion addon thingy. But to compensate for AIs loss of accuracy on long ranges, we don't use scoped weapons. At long range, we now have firefights where hits are few (on both sides). The biggest problem for us now are enemy vehicles (unaffected by mod probably?), which will shoot and usually hit very fast and very deadly.

If ACOG, I would need to have increased dispersion on all assault rifles and smgs. Or a system in which handshake is induced on AI and players by the amount of activity in the area. If all hell is breaking loose around you, there is no way you would be able to pull off the shots you do in (any) games. Would I sacrifice range shooting simulation for increased firefights? Hell yes :)

The parallax issue on the holosights and NVG that goes black when zoomed in are really annoying ingame, infact they are bordering on being gamebreakers when you feel you have to resort to scoped weapons just not to be fooled by the poor sights.

This.

Sometimes I miss the old operation flashpoint 2d 'ironsights' (which are really the same as the current acog, except less zoom.

-k

It's not a matter of calm/nervous shooting. It's the fact you can hit someone at 600m while standing, which is simply not feasible IRL even in the best shooting range if you're not leaning your weapon against something.

Since weapon length isn't modeled in the game (yuck!), there's no real reason for an M4A1 over an M16A4 anyway.

1) not sure at all that there's no difference in 3D length between the 2 and that you don't turn a tad bit easier with shorter weapons inside houses

2) what do you think the parameter "dexterity" is usefull for in weapon configs and why it is different between m16 and M4 in base config of ArmA2?

If you dont like eotech just take m4a1 with gl and acog or normal m4a1. What is the problem here?

The problem is with the M4 SDs. You are stuck with garbage scope 1 or garbage scope 2. I'd rather just have iron sights (and there is no option with ths surpressed M4s). Those scopes (the EOtech Holo and the CCO) are fine when you are clearing rooms but they are utterly useless in any other capacity.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

The holosights and reddots in Arma 2 simply suck. That's the way it is.

1) not sure at all that there's no difference in 3D length between the 2 and that you don't turn a tad bit easier with shorter weapons inside houses

2) what do you think the parameter "dexterity" is usefull for in weapon configs and why it is different between m16 and M4 in base config of ArmA2?

My post you quoted was before I knew about the config values. Too bad they don't make a difference one can actually notice in-game. I mean, for static weapons the slower turning is actually noticeable, but rarely will you turn at max speed with a rifle so you will not really notice the difference. At least not without extensive testing. IRL holding an M4A1 and an M16A4 is a completely different experience, and the differences in handling will be obvious even if you let someone who never fired a weapon hold them.

Besides, turning speed (which is all I managed to notice the dexterity value is affecting) is really not anywhere near enough to simulate bulkier weapons.

On another note, the fact the M4A1 uses the same ammo as the M16A4 but has slightly better turning, there is actually no reason to take the M16A4 over the M4A1 if you're a human player. For bots the M16A4 is much better as (IIRC, based on other posts around here) they think the M4A1 is no good past 300m while the M16A4 is 600m.

M4s are less accurate than M16s in A2 and the difference in turning is minimal, so I'd rather say there's no reason to take the M4. If you run my Muzzlevelocitymod the difference is even bigger in favor of the -16s.

i have less problem with aimpoint than holo, which is worthless at least in this game. i cant see a freaking thing thru there! the bundeswehr mod guns own, mostly because of their optics...i feel like 10x more deadly with those g-36s over the m4a1 holo.