Sign in to follow this  
CptArmA2

ArmA II launcher by alpinestars

Wow nice job, your browser updates much faster than the in-game browser and I like how you can see what mods they allow. The only problem (maybe I'm missing something) is it doesn't show the ping for any servers.

Wow nice job, your browser updates much faster than the in-game browser and I like how you can see what mods they allow. The only problem (maybe I'm missing something) is it doesn't show the ping for any servers.

Pinging all servers may result in an action lasting some minutes, because the only thing I would use is the cmd ping from windows. I will implement at least a ping to desired servers, that means a button for every server where you can start a ping for one server and than for another. Okay?

alpinestars

Thanks for the update, love using this. Saves me the clutter of having 4 or 5 different shortcuts for ArmA2.

so if i use this launcher i can run the mods with it,good.But what about the vanilla?may i run the original exe or am i forced to use the launcher??

Pinging all servers may result in an action lasting some minutes, because the only thing I would use is the cmd ping from windows. I will implement at least a ping to desired servers, that means a button for every server where you can start a ping for one server and than for another. Okay?

alpinestars

Yeah that would be good. It will still be better than the slow in-game browser.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

so if i use this launcher i can run the mods with it,good.But what about the vanilla?may i run the original exe or am i forced to use the launcher??

The launcher uses the ArmA 2.exe, it makes it so if you're using mods or startup parameters you don't have to manually edit your shortcut. If you want to use the vanilla .exe it's still in your installation folder.

Thank you brilliant launcher and it has saved me huge amount of time and very easy to use. :cheers:

Maybe a stupid idea but is it possible to implement a comment function for each mod?

I just ask because my modfolder flows over with many often very cryptic named addon folders and sometimes i tend to forget what is what so a comment i could add would help a lot.

Great thing!

But it would be even greater, if it could be adopted to handle more complex mod directory structures like the one from OAC.

Since I am using OAC a lot now this would be of great help.

There, mod folders are not only located in the ArmA2 root, but can also be located in sub directories. To detect potential mod folders properly, you would need to recursively traverse all sub directories for directories named "addons", and list their direct parent in the launcher.

IMHO that structured mod dir approach really helps handling the large amount of mods som if us are using.

Best regards and thanks

A.

I appreciate your effort, yet other parts, that I mentioned, would be way more useful to my friends and me.

Unless I am mistaken it would be good, if you could bookmark servers and only scan these.

Also the fixed window size is not useful at all - especially for the big server list.

Maybe a stupid idea but is it possible to implement a comment function for each mod?
+1 for this request.
But it would be even greater, if it could be adopted to handle more complex mod directory structures like the one from OAC.

Since I am using OAC a lot now this would be of great help.

I overcame this problem by using "NTFS Junction Points" - works fantastic!

A free utility to make junction points is Link Shell Extension.

Edited by mlenser
Added links to help ppl research Junction Points

+1 for this request.

In one of the next releases it will be possible to define profiles including mods etc. Here you will be able to set names, e.g.

Profile "Example #yxz"

- Mod1

- Mod3

- Mod99

- Server 192.168.0.1

- Password

Profile "Another Example ;-)"

- Mod5

- Mod8

- Server 192.168.0.2

- Password

Thx,

alpinestars

What about pings on the server browser? Is that possible?

Great launcher btw, cant play without it.

Eagerly awaiting the next release of your launcher alpinestars. Thanks for the continuing development of an already great program.

What about pings on the server browser? Is that possible?

Will be the next step, but I do not have a option to ping all servers because I have to use ping.exe of windows. Perhaps there will be a button to ping one server after another ...

All,

I've implemented a ping functionality, please try version 1.5.0!

Release notes:

* Ping functionality

o Ability to ping all servers (will take some seconds/minutes)

o Ping results will be stored until next refresh of all server will be started

o Context menu added to ping only a desired server

o Possibility to fill holes of ping results (if servers were not online while last ping) – still experimental!

* Spanish translation by Big (@Big: Thanks a lot!)

* Version update check on about page to check if a newer version is online

* All icons and images are now packed into the executable file

* Beta mod can be prioritized to highest or lowest priority

* No further usage of UPX packer, because some virus scanner detect malware

* About page is language specific

* Some wordings changed

* Some code optimization

* Fix: TrackIR 5 support

I hope, that everything works as designed :)

Thx,

alpinestars

Excellent work with the ping function. Im on holidays and cant test for another 3weeks. :(

Thanks

Nice job, the ability to ping individual servers is great since it's a waste of time to ping all the empty ones.

Thanks for the update alpinestars!

Unfortunately still missing various key features to make it useful for me:

* Multiple profiles

* Fullscreen app / resizing possible

* Filter the mission list

* Ability to mark favorite servers

* Automatic scanning for modfolders based on addons folder inside arma2 (arma2\...\addons)

As said before I strongly prefer an all in one window vs the current tabs system.

Edited by kju

agreed, multiple profiles would be nice. is there a way to launch straight into hosting a game with custom name/password? or am i just missing that?

Thanks for the update alpinestars!

Unfortunately still missing various key features to make it useful for me:

* Multiple profiles

* Fullscreen app / resizing possible

* Filter the mission list

* Ability to mark favorite servers

* Automatic scanning for modfolders based on addons folder inside arma2 (arma2\...\addons)

As said before I strongly prefer an all in one window vs the current tabs system.

* Will come in one of the next releases

* I am strictly limited because of autohotkey, but I also think it's not so important

* Filtering the mission list: How?

* Is a good idea, will be implemented

* As far as know mod-folders should start with a "@" in front, I think I read it in official guide :confused:

Most users like the tabs system and I like it to :)

Thx,

alpinestars

Thanks alpinestars for the response!

To give you some concrete examples:

* A long modline is not shown in one way in parameters.

* Often you need to switch mods on and off, yet currently you need to switch to the tab and back to start to launch the game.

* Also to switch beta on/off should be on the start page.

* After starting setting is also very useful and should be available in the start page.

To reduce clicks is very key, if you need to launch the game 10th/100th times a day

to test stuff.

Sorry I meant to filter the server list. Like only show those with a given mission,

or at least x players etc.

There is a common practise to name modfolder with @ at the start. It is by far no

requirement, nor the best option to.

Even more you can use multiple folders like arma2\best\ace2\addons.

So again you should scan for folders named addons inside arma2:

1) found: c:\arma2\best\ace2\addons

2) remove addons: c:\arma2\best\ace2

3) remove path to a2: best\ace2

4) voila you have found a modfolder.

Does this launcher support modfolders on a different hard drive? I have linebackers launcher installed and it just looks in the arma 2 directory. I use a shortcut to load the most used pbo's to a software ramdisk and add -mod=B:\@ram to the shortcut (B is my ramdisk).

Thanks. been using this for a while, having finally bitten the bullet after being lazy with the folders and it's great.

*You may want to update the version number in the OP*