Sign in to follow this  
Merad

Troubleshooting TrackIR in ArmA 2 / OA

Vista 64

TrackIR 4

Steam Version

Problem. TrackIR works but not in game.

Solutions tried.

TrackIR games and software have been updated.

ARMA 2 is run in Admin mode

TrackIR is run in Admin mode

Track IR is enabled in game (under controls - caveat - trackIR line is out of sync with other controler lines)

Unable to find solution, can someone please help.

Are you using the TrackIR5 software? The old TrackIR(V4) software will not work with ArmA2 as far as i know.

Are you using the TrackIR5 software? The old TrackIR(V4) software will not work with ArmA2 as far as i know.

I'm using TrackIR 4 in the Arma 2 demo with no issues.

How many joysticks do you have? TrackIR worked perfectly fine in the demo until I plugged in my 3 ch joysticks, then trackir stopped working ingame and the input is greyed out in controls.

Is there a limit in how many input devices arma2 can handle?

edit. Works fine now heh, somehow it was disabled. I just found the "controller" button in control options, there I could enable it again!

@Merad: See if you have it disabled, go to "controls" and look for a button named "controller".

Edited by andersson

Hi Merad

You have TrackIR turned off in ArmA (I had the same problem)

Select Options

Select Controls

Select Controller (Bottom pannel middle left)

Select TrackIR

Select Enable

Select OK

Select OK again

Select Back

Kind regards walker

Hi Merad

You have TrackIR turned off in ArmA (I had the same problem)

Select Options

Select Controls

Select Controller (Bottom pannel middle left)

Select TrackIR

Select Enable

Select OK

Select OK again

Select Back

Kind regards walker

Read, just read

Track IR is enabled in game

Vista 64bit, I Enabled TrackIR in ArmA II Demo (shows enabled), have one Joystick that is listed before the TrackIR (it's enabled too). Using 4.1 of TrackIR.

I startup ArmA and blue light comes on and TrackIR works. Close ArmA and run Arma II Demo, no blue light and no TrackIR in game.

Vista 64

TrackIR 4

Steam Version

Unable to find solution, can someone please help.

I had similar problem bit earlier as I have both TI4 + TI5 (hw+sw).

TI4 hw I removed, but sw was still left. So I removed the sw but it didnt help. Then I did tons of attempts to get it see the TI5 but no luck.

The problem was rather simple to solve, I had to remove the TI hw then uninstall the sw. Then install the sw , THEN insert the HW and let Vista detect it and automaticly find drivers for it.

The problem seemed to be same as with tons of other usb hw that needs the sw to be installed first. And if it aint working on that usb port try swapping with another one.

Hope this helps you, good luck.

i dunno but i get no blue led on a trackir5 and newest sw. is this normal, cause i thought there should light the blue leds for arma2?

btw, it works fine

What specific build, of the TrackIR software, are you using?

Tried running both the TrackIR, and ArmA 2 as an admin?

I am using 4.1 Build 36 and as for the other person suggesting to uninstall the hardware I do not think that will help me, since TrackIR is working for ArmA - my problem is only with ArmA 2 Demo.

I am using 4.1 Build 36 and as for the other person suggesting to uninstall the hardware I do not think that will help me, since TrackIR is working for ArmA - my problem is only with ArmA 2 Demo.

Is ArmA 2 listed, on the available games list?

Make sure you have checked for updated game profiles, and restarted the TrackIR software.

Try running both the TrackIR software, and the demo as an admin (right click on the exe and select run as admin)

I did a "Check for Game Updates..." selected ArmA 2 and the blue light came on!

I've noticed a bit of confusion on these and other forums regarding TrackIR 3 support in ArmA 2. So, to clarify, TrackIR 3 is supported in ArmA 2, like ArmA before it. In order to interface with ArmA 2, TrackIR 3 owners need to make sure that they've upgraded to the newest version of the 4.x software and then run a games list update to include new titles like ArmA 2.

Confusion on this has likely arisen from the fact that, currently, our new 5.0 software does not yet support TrackIR 3. We're hoping to add support in down the line, but as of yet, the necessary development resources are otherwise allocated. But, it's important to note that both the 4.1.037 and 5.0 versions of software draw from the exact same software list. So, anyone that can use 4.1.037 (TrackIR 3, 4, and 5 users) will have access to all of the same games that users of 5.0 have. The primary differences between 4.1.037 and 5.0 are related to UI, profile management, etc.--not fundamental functionality.

Also, a quick comment on TrackIR 1 and 2. Some posters have pointed out that these units are no longer supported. This is partially true. All TrackIR 1 and 2 owners still have total access to all of the games that were available at their time of purchase (as well as the following several years worth). But, any games that require at least version 4.1.037 of our software (at the moment that would be ArmA 2, Black Shark, and HAWX) do not have TrackIR 1 or 2 support. There are a couple of reasons for this:

- First, TrackIR 2 is now 7.5 years old. It has been out of development for around 5 years. The original TrackIR 2 user base, compared to 3, 4, and 5 users, is miniscule. And, the vast majority of those users have long since upgraded to a newer version. So, it is difficult for us to warrant freeing up developer resources, which are currently spread thin over three different product lines (TrackIR isn't all we do), to reinitiate support for a device that is 3 generations old, 7.5 years old, and has a very, very small user base.

- The technology behind TrackIR 2 is now very old, and very inferior to what we're currently producing. Trying to grandfather it into our current interface would almost be like supporting a totally different product, as the "secret sauce", as it were, is so different from even TrackIR 3. This would be a monumental task.

- TrackIR 2 used a significantly different API than TrackIR 3, 4, and 5. It was inferior in many ways, probably primarily in ease of developer implementation. We are not going to ask developers to develop and maintain two TrackIR APIs, so we obviously promote integration of the current API, which supports 99.5% of our user base.

I hope this clarifies the situation between ArmA 2 and TrackIR. Any TrackIR 1 or 2 owners that are feeling left out of the equation are more than welcome to email me. I'd be more than happy to cooperate with you on solving that problem.

Can we discuss natural point business practices now that we have this thread?

I just tested out my brand new TrackIR5 with ArmA2 and it's phenomenal. Infantry stuff absolutely pulls you into the game. Moving, looking around and just taking part in your surroundings is so natural it's ridiculous. Totally recommended.

The only issue I'm having is that with TrackIR5 active, flying helos in ArmA2 seems to crash the system. With TrackIR not active I can fly indefinitely with no CTD but with TrackIR happening I can fly for about 2min or so before the system dies. Much more detail about this here where I'm hoping to get some NP feedback. As per the details in that thread, I think I have it sort of worked out anyway but there is definitely something weird going on.

Despite this odd helo/joystick/mouse stuff I'm looking into, if you're at all on the fence... I highly recommend TrackIR.

Edited by datter

hmm, I don't think it would be down to TrackIR tbh.

Try running the game without TrackIR and double tap left alt and look around with your mouse that way, I'm sure it is just something to do with movement/taking in textures with 8800GT.

I get CTD all the time when panning the camera when in 3rd person in vehicles/driving/flying too fast round bends/dropping a wreck on the repair plate/even just spinning my ingame soldier round on foot when there is alot happening.

I think there is just a general issue with CTD's in this game that needs to be solved. From what I have seen, lots are suffering on 8800 cards

(hmm, actually...looking at your other post I notice you have a Saitek cyborg evo, same as me... wonder if that is causing us grief?)

Can we discuss natural point business practices now that we have this thread?

No

When using trickir the game flickers fairly often like it flicks to look somewhere else then instantly flicks back to where it should be.

Its very off putting and ruins the immersion.

I am using trackir 5.0.230 software and tackir 4 with trackclippro hardware and have none of these problems with other games.

Hope someone else has this problem and found a solution.

Do you wear glasses? - this can be caused by stray reflections when using IR tracking...

Does the cam unit feel hot? Is the problem worse after playing a while? Theres a recognised overheating issue with tIR4 that was supposedly addressed in the tIR5 models...

The glasses one happened to me but can be eliminated with some fine tuning...

B

Thank you for the replies.

There is no IR source or visible light behind me.

I don't wear glasses and the cam unit doesn't feel hot. But the flicker problem does seem to get progressively worse the longer I play Arma2.

My personal feeling is that its a software problem because of the fact that games like Black Shark work without any flicker problems.

what software problem ? you're using trackir5 software for Black shark and ARMA arent you ?

ive had the TrackIR5 occasionally flick around in 2 circumstances:

1) i hadnt told the trackir5 profile to use the track clip pro...i.e. it was still set for the other 3prong thingy that sits on your cap.

2) i have a window open (curtains not closed) ANYWHERE in the room. i.e. i window adjacent to my PC was open and i guess too much light was reflecting around the room. This wasnt a problem with Trackir4, i think the trackir5 must be a lot more sensitive.

i get this sometimes whent he sunlight in the room is bright, the trackir software has a slider that removes the problem. filter light threshold